Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 02:39:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Tookie Williams (convicted murderer) desires clemency
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tookie Williams (convicted murderer) desires clemency  (Read 21711 times)
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2005, 12:00:14 AM »

If the man has no respect for human life , we should not respect his life.

I have no sympathy for him or anyone else who commits murders. If he gets clemency, then all death row inmates should as well. The death penalty should be abolished for good. He's going to die eventually, just like everyone else, it's just a matter of time. But it's not up to other people to decide when that time is. That's what separates us from the criminals: respect for life.

Exactly, besides keeping him alive and locked up for the rest of his life is more of a punishment then killing him. Also if the prison officials want him to stop affiliating with gnag members in jail, then they should just put him in solitary for the rest of his natural born life.
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2005, 12:01:11 AM »

Exactly, besides keeping him alive and locked up for the rest of his life is more of a punishment then killing him.

Thats all in the eye of the beholder.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2005, 03:36:53 AM »

This is very old news now, but I was actually unaware of it...

Robertson Endorses Moratorium On Death Penalty 

Apr. 10, 2000

WILLIAMSBURG, Virginia (CWNews.com) - The founder of the Christian Coalition said on Friday he supports a moratorium on the death penalty because it isn't always applied fairly.

Pat Robertson was the keynote speaker at a symposium at the College of William and Mary law school. Asked about a moratorium after his speech, Robertson said: "I think a moratorium would indeed be very appropriate." He said minorities and poor people often can't afford high-priced attorneys and thus don't always receive the best defense.

The moratorium question was posed by Michael Radelet of Moratorium 2000, a national anti-death penalty organization founded by activist Sister Helen Prejean, the author of "Dead Man Walking."

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2005, 12:51:34 PM »

If we abolish the death penalty, well need more prisons no one wants to live near and more tax revenue no one wants to pay.

If you kill, you should be killed.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
RichardNixon
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2005, 12:56:00 PM »

If we abolish the death penalty, well need more prisons no one wants to live near and more tax revenue no one wants to pay.

1. It's not a deterrent. Or rather, it is a deterrent, but no more so than life imprisonment.
2. It's inhumane. No one has the right to take the life of another person--whether it be in an armed robbery, or state sanctioned.
3. In the past, people who have been put to death have later been found to be innocent. It's going to happen again in the future--even with DNA testing, it will happen. And just one innocent person put to death is one too many.
4. It's fundamentally racist. I don't have exact statistics, but blacks make up about half the people on death row, yet blacks account for only 13 percent of the population.

The second point alone is enough to abolish capital punishment.
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2005, 01:06:27 PM »

He should be killed in the same way he killed his victims. But since he is a founding member of a gang, everybody worships the freak.

well we'll haev to kill the person who kills him then.

Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2005, 02:29:17 PM »

1. It's not a deterrent. Or rather, it is a deterrent, but no more so than life imprisonment.
2. It's inhumane. No one has the right to take the life of another person--whether it be in an armed robbery, or state sanctioned.
3. In the past, people who have been put to death have later been found to be innocent. It's going to happen again in the future--even with DNA testing, it will happen. And just one innocent person put to death is one too many.
4. It's fundamentally racist. I don't have exact statistics, but blacks make up about half the people on death row, yet blacks account for only 13 percent of the population.

Knew the race card would be played here. Its economic, not a case of blatant racism.  People with less income are more apt to turn to crime than someone well off.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2005, 02:33:27 PM »

There is a mighty difference to killing someone in cold blood, and executing an order from the state to off a piece of human trash.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
SLCPUNK
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2005, 02:39:22 PM »

This is very old news now, but I was actually unaware of it...

Robertson Endorses Moratorium On Death Penalty 

Apr. 10, 2000

WILLIAMSBURG, Virginia (CWNews.com) - The founder of the Christian Coalition said on Friday he supports a moratorium on the death penalty because it isn't always applied fairly.

Pat Robertson was the keynote speaker at a symposium at the College of William and Mary law school. Asked about a moratorium after his speech, Robertson said: "I think a moratorium would indeed be very appropriate." He said minorities and poor people often can't afford high-priced attorneys and thus don't always receive the best defense.

The moratorium question was posed by Michael Radelet of Moratorium 2000, a national anti-death penalty organization founded by activist Sister Helen Prejean, the author of "Dead Man Walking."

Praise Jesus.
RichardNixon
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2005, 03:35:51 PM »

Knew the race card would be played here. Its economic, not a case of blatant racism.? People with less income are more apt to turn to crime than someone well off.

And Black people in general are worse off than white people.
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2005, 03:55:54 PM »

I can't believe the generalizations being made here.

It can't be determined what group of people commits more murders.

And I'm tired of the old excuse of poverty turning someone to crime. My father was born and raised in a single parent home in the projects, but he stayed in school, went to college and started his own business. And there's lots of other cases where people have done well despite their circumstances.

Tookie isn't on death row because he's black. He's there for murdering four innocent people.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 03:57:49 PM by journey » Logged
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2005, 05:09:33 PM »

Put aside what should happen, what does everyone think will happen.  It all boils down to Schwarzenegger.

I think Schwarzengger will grant Williams clemency.  The elections last month have left him very vulnerable and he wants to be re-elected.  As governor of a blue state during a time of considerable Republican (and personal) unpopularity, I dont see what good putting Williams to death would do  him.  He must appeal to the states voters, and hes already begun the process by appointing a Democrat and former Gray Davis cabinet secretary, Susan Kennedy, as his new chief of staff.  Williams' recent history will give Schwarznegger the rationale he needs to make the decision. 

I cant think of many reasons for him to reject clemency.  It would be an undoubtedly unpopular decision for a guy who cant seem to get much more unpopular.  The only "positive" I can think of is that it would prove that hes still his own man despite having a Democratic advisor, and cater to his base.  But as the elections have proven, his base isnt enough.

So my prediction: Schwarzenegger grants clemency.   
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2005, 05:34:10 PM »

There is a mighty difference to killing someone in cold blood, and executing an order from the state to off a piece of human trash.

technically it's killing. if we accept that god doesnt exist, and that we are the only power in the universe. alright. we can make our own laws. but such a religious country having the death penalty is ridiculous.

i am not even entering the ethical / logical debate that the death is useless and brings nothing (but revenge pleasure > sin)

i say we better USE these people. teh convicts. society needs to USE them. make them work. send them to africa and make them rebuild the continent. make them *slaves* for the poors.
1- they'll be useful > we GEt something out of this punishement
2- they'll learn a lot by living among the poors and re evaluate the meaning and sense of life
3- cheaper for us > keeping them in Liberia will be much cheaper than having them in europe or usa.

Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2005, 07:09:32 PM »

but such a religious country having the death penalty is ridiculous.

Your argument makes no sense, because it says in the Bible that those who kill in cold blood shall be put to death.  So I don't understand why you were bringing religion into this?

Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2005, 07:10:47 PM »

i say we better USE these people. teh convicts. society needs to USE them. make them work. send them to africa and make them rebuild the continent. make them *slaves* for the poors.

That is fucked up.  You don't think some businessmen are going to make a business out of this "slavery."

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2005, 06:21:48 PM »

Arnold Denied his clemency. He is being put to death tomorrow morning at 3:00 AM PST
RichardNixon
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2005, 06:22:59 PM »

No surprise there.
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2005, 06:37:07 PM »

That is fucked up.  You don't think some businessmen are going to make a business out of this "slavery."

well this *punishement* concept ain't takin our society anywhere. proof > some country rather kill the guys rather than keeping them locked up (and even if their holly book says otherwise ...)

i say lets make their punishement something useful for US and THEM.
it's not about slavery. it's about helping the poor countries in the world. i'll call jacques chirac immediatly ...

Surfrider
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2005, 07:17:30 PM »

The death penalty is immoral, the product of human instinct we really shouldn't allow to direct policy

The state cannot make moral judgements, since that violates the 1st amendment.
How the heck do you get this from the First Amendment?  It prevents the government from prohibiting people from making moral judgments.  The government makes moral judgments all the time: capital punishment, sodomy laws, homosexual marriage, etc, etc, etc.

I am actually in downtown LA.  Lets hope these people don't riot.
Charity Case
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2005, 07:29:01 PM »

Well good riddance to the murdering sack of shit.  I could care less that he found jesus or whatever and writes kids books about staying out of gangs.  Those things are independant and irrelevant to his case which was tried before a judge and jury.  He kill 4 people in cold blood and his time is past due.  I am a huge fan of capital punishment.  Nothing says your guilty like lethal injection.   Grin

Who wants to keep paying tax dollars to keep a guy like this in prison?  Society needs stiffer punishments.  I was in Singapore in the early 90s.  Crime is almost non-existant.  Their laws are very very strict and the punishments are excessive for even what I would liek to see, but there is no crime.  There needs to be a happy medium between the stauncness of the Singapore system and the laughable liberal system we operate.  Our system is broken.

On another note, that human joke Jesse Jackson was spotted again.  He is the biggest publicity slut I have ever seen.   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: