Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 12:49:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Would Slash-Duff-Matt take Axl back?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Would Slash-Duff-Matt take Axl back?  (Read 4626 times)
DontDamnMe
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: January 28, 2006, 09:44:35 PM »

I'm a newbie to the site, and it appears to be a fairly pro-Axl contingent here.   No problem with that, I like Axl's music.

However, Slash-Duff-Matt are some of the best rockers out there today.  Very talented musicians.  Slash has grown since his Gn'R days.   Considering Axl's voice has slipped somewhat, do you think from a business standpoint that Slash-Duff-Matt really want to re-unite with Axl?  I ask this question after all the speculation following Axl's Rolling Stone interview.  They are rolling along fine right now with Scott.  Not only that, but you have the lawsuits between the parties that are obviously going to favor Slash-Duff-Matt money wise. 

I can't see at this point why Slash would dump Scott to re-unite with Axl.  Sure, it might get lots of fan-fare, but this is not like Aerosmith re-uniting.  Steven Tyler and Joe Perry still chatted occasionally throughout their 'divorce' and it wasn't 10 years long.  I think Axl was being classy by giving the comments he did about Slash.  Obviously, he and Izzy are old buds, so it doesn't surprise me that they talk.  The last comments I read from Izzy on Axl seemed pretty harsh still.

It will all come down to money.  If Axl's voice is truly shot, there is no reason for Slash to dump Scott for a re-unite with Axl.  Once they step back on stage and people notice Slash is kicking ass, whilst Axl struggles with WTTJ, fans will want their $100 back.  I'm not trying to bash Axl, but Slash has grown as a musician, while Axl has slipped.  Plus, VR has shown they can put forth a successful tour, while Axl's band were no-shows for half the gigs and then cancelled early.  Ask yourself this: if you were Slash, would you take the chance on Axl again?  He's still going to walk off-stage early during gigs, cancel gigs and want way too much control in the band.  That is Axl, plain and simple.  VR looks like a band just happy to be on stage and pumping out music.  Why would you leave that? 

The only way I see Slash-Duff-Matt going back to Axl is if Scott decides to return to STP or take time off.  Unless that happens, there's no sensible reason for the old lineup to re-unite.  Axl would do it in a heartbeat, me thinks, but Slash-Duff-Matt would probably think twice (or more) about it first.

Amp
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 02:38:47 AM by DontDamnMe » Logged
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 09:50:49 PM »

I dont think if its a question of them taking Axl back since it was Slash/Duff/Matt who left GNR & Axl

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
DontDamnMe
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 09:53:03 PM »

At this point, in the music industry, Slash-Duff-Matt are in a much better position and much more talented together than Axl.  I'm not trying to bash Axl, but so obvious it was he who drove the original members (and subsequent members) of the band away.

Amp
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 10:51:24 PM by DontDamnMe » Logged
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 10:38:22 PM »

I'm not trying to bash Axl, but it was obvious he who drove the original members (and subsequent members) of the band away.

Amp

obvious to you , me and several others, but not obvious to alot of diehard Axl fans.  hihi

I think you have put forth a very sound and reasoned point here - the only answer I'd have to it is that original GN'R = MAGIC. VR (and STP and NuGnR), although good, havent captured the lightning in a bottle that classic Guns were able to capture. Surely all who were party to that magic realise this, and in the back of all of their minds, the question must be there - 'what if we did it again?' How could it not be there.

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Chief
Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 11:14:46 PM »

1 - i don't think slash, etc would leave VR because they are doing good, so unless something happens they are staying put.

2 - i definitely don't think Axl's voice is "shot".. there have been tons of arguments about it but i think its different and he is trying to abuse it like he has before so he sounds weird sometimes.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Billo
VIP

"soon" is the word....SOON :)

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 11:18:10 PM »

Umm VR have had huge sucess thought....#1 album and singles..a Grammy..... ok
Just face it..They will not get back together for years..untill CD is out and the follow up and VR will be around for a few more years at least......And im happy with that..2 great bands to follow.. beer

If u love guns the wait it allmost over..HEHE
MR W,AXL ROSE
Welsh, and luvin' it
Legend

live,breathe eat GNR.

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 11:21:00 PM »

I'm not trying to bash Axl, but it was obvious he who drove the original members (and subsequent members) of the band away.

Amp

obvious to you , me and several others, but not obvious to alot of diehard Axl fans.? hihi

I think you have put forth a very sound and reasoned point here - the only answer I'd have to it is that original GN'R = MAGIC. VR (and STP and NuGnR), although good, havent captured the lightning in a bottle that classic Guns were able to capture. Surely all who were party to that magic realise this, and in the back of all of their minds, the question must be there - 'what if we did it again?' How could it not be there.
havnt captured the lightning in a bottle that classic guns were able to capture,"have you heard CD yet"

╔═╦╦╦═╦═╗ ╔═╗ ╔═╦═╦═╦═╦═╗
║║║║║║║╚╣ ║║║ ║═║║║╚╣═╣╚╣
╠╗║║║║╠╗║ ║║║ ║╚╣║╠╗║═╬╗║
╚═╩═╩╩╩═╝ ╚╩╝ ╚╩╩═╩═╩═╩═╝
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 11:22:28 PM »

Amp

obvious to you , me and several others, but not obvious to alot of diehard Axl fans.? hihi

havnt captured the lightning in a bottle that classic guns were able to capture,"have you heard CD yet"

I didnt imply I had - read the post

we have however, witnessed and heard a tour in 2002

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 11:29:27 PM »

At this point, in the music industry, Slash-Duff-Matt are in a much better position and much more talented together than Axl.  I'm not trying to bash Axl, but so obvious it was he who drove the original members (and subsequent members) of the band away.

Exactly.

Fuck 'Em All.
DontDamnMe
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 11:40:00 PM »

Exactly.

This could explain Axl's sudden admiration of Slash, and his new-found friendship with Izzy.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 11:42:17 PM by DontDamnMe » Logged
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 12:19:49 AM »

Hahahahaha, that was truly a funny read man.  ok

But let's get serious for a minute here, It's the other way around man. It's not if they would take Axl back, it's if Axl would take them back and I personally think no he wouldnt. It's really not worth his time to get those guys back in the band.

As anyone who knows anything about guns knows Axl always was the most talented person in guns (second would be Izzy). So your argument about slash, duff and matt being more talented is very funny considering how crappy all of their albums have been since they quit guns.

As for the lawsuit, how is it in slash/duffs favour? They have the burden of proof and all the evidence points to them being full of shit. Especially considering if Axl quit in 95 to create his own version of guns, then why did slash and duff and matt stay with him untill 96/97/98.

And as for Axl doing the reunion in a heartbeat, you better think again. As he said in '02 "For the fans to attempt to condemn me to relationships even only professional with any of these men is a prison sentence and something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I'd say my parole is nearly over. I'm practically a free man and if you don't like it you'll have plenty of time to get used to the idea.?

So yeah, guess your wrong hey.....
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 12:25:08 AM by chineseblues » Logged
DontDamnMe
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 12:39:46 AM »

As anyone who knows anything about guns knows Axl always was the most talented person in guns (second would be Izzy). So your argument about slash, duff and matt being more talented is very funny considering how crappy all of their albums have been since they quit guns.

I guess this explains why Slash and Duff are touring, selling out venues and selling millions of copies of Contraband, whilst Axl sits at home and does nothing.

And as for Axl doing the reunion in a heartbeat, you better think again. As he said in '02 "For the fans to attempt to condemn me to relationships even only professional with any of these men is a prison sentence and something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I'd say my parole is nearly over. I'm practically a free man and if you don't like it you'll have plenty of time to get used to the idea.?

Ohhhh, but good ole Axl seems to have changed his tune a bit in 2006.  Why didn't you bother to post the quotes from the RS article about Slash and Izzy?
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2006, 01:27:43 AM »

Ohhhh, but good ole Axl seems to have changed his tune a bit in 2006.  Why didn't you bother to post the quotes from the RS article about Slash and Izzy?

You mean the one where he said he hasn't talked to Slash in 10 YEARS!?  hihi

And if your gonna say "but he also said he loved him!"... he said that in The Rolling Stone 2000 interview.

Slash and Duff are doing their own thing. Axl's doing his own thing. I honestly think the last thing on everybodys mind is a reunion.

gnrevolution.com
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2006, 01:33:02 AM »

I guess this explains why Slash and Duff are touring, selling out venues and selling millions of copies of Contraband, whilst Axl sits at home and does nothing.

Ohhhh, but good ole Axl seems to have changed his tune a bit in 2006.? Why didn't you bother to post the quotes from the RS article about Slash and Izzy?

Very good points!!   And would they take him back?  I doubt it.  Why would they want to go through THAT again?  Slash has said something to the effect of not for all the money in the world.  I always say it, but it's true, they've moved on & he hasn't. 
DontDamnMe
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2006, 01:40:17 AM »

Back in the hey day... Axl was at the top of the list for rock vocalists, as Slash was at the top of the list for leads.  Slash has progressed since then and Axl has degressed.  I don't care what anybody here says, Axl cannot sing like he did at Farm Aid in 1990 or deliver a version of Live & Let Die like he did in Paris in '92.  You have Slash who is still delivering mesmorizing solos like in Dirty Little Thing.  Slash's Les Paul will never die, and Axl's voice has all but vanished.  There is no more crunch and no more captivating live shows from Axl.
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2006, 01:42:59 AM »

Back in the hey day... Axl was at the top of the list for rock vocalists, as Slash was at the top of the list for leads.  Slash has progressed since then and Axl has degressed.  I don't care what anybody here says, Axl cannot sing like he did at Farm Aid in 1990 or deliver a version of Live & Let Die like he did in Paris in '92.  You have Slash who is still delivering mesmorizing solos like in Dirty Little Thing.  Slash's Les Paul will never die, and Axl's voice has all but vanished.  There is no more crunch and no more captivating live shows from Axl.

You came in saying you weren't here to bash Axl and yet here you are. This has nothing to do with "would they accept Axl back?" If you like Slash more, then great. You don't have to create a thread about it.

gnrevolution.com
DontDamnMe
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2006, 01:53:42 AM »

While I do appreciate Slash more, as a guitarist and musician, this is not about Slash vs. Axl.  I included Duff & Matt in my original question.  I wish the original band had stayed together for at least one more album of original stuff.  I thought the "Sympathy" cover was excellent, mostly due to Axl.   Even if CD is released, ultimately, Slash's material will stand the test of time, because he is more talented at what he does in this stage of the game.  Axl will always have the attitude and the lyrics, but the voice is what pushed him into the elite. 

My whole point is, why would Slash Duff or Matt ever collaborate again with Axl?  It seems Slash is more open to the idea than I would be (see his BTM interview where he doesn't completely rule it out).  However, if Scott leaves or OD's or something, it might be in Slash's best interests to rekindle an old flame, but he doesn't have to.  It would only be for the money.
rainX
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2006, 01:56:39 AM »

Slash would do anything if he needed the money, as he proved with VR.

Duff would do whatever - i mean, have you ever listened to guy?

and Matt, matt's not an original member, he just wins by default because the guy he replaced is STILL on drugs

and yeah, they all left band, don't blame axl

DontDamnMe
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2006, 02:03:08 AM »

Slash would do anything if he needed the money, as he proved with VR.

So just because Slash teamed up with Scott, he's just doing it for the money?  Newsflash: most professional musicians tend to play for money, BUT they also like to play with other talented musicians around them.  You can't blame Slash for wanting to play his guitar.  He is pretty freakishly good at what he does.  He SHOULD be getting paid for his talents.  He's not going to step on stage again with Axl just for a pay-day.  He doesn't need money that bad.  He seems to be doing fine now.  How much is Axl making sitting in a studio for 10 years?
DontDamnMe
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2006, 02:10:31 AM »

and Matt, matt's not an original member, he just wins by default because the guy he replaced is STILL on drugs

Matt may not be the Guns' first drummer, but he plays on 3 times more tracks than Steven did.  I'm sure if a re-union was to occur, Matt would get the nod, even with a completely sober Adler.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 02:12:42 AM by DontDamnMe » Logged
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: