Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 11:37:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Jada Pinkett Smith Lives Out Her Axl Rose Dreams
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jada Pinkett Smith Lives Out Her Axl Rose Dreams  (Read 3381 times)
WAR41
VIP

I must admit life is trite but that's all right

« on: February 01, 2006, 10:44:49 PM »

Article from MTV.com  Just mentions of Axl... they are in bold

Jada Pinkett Smith Lives Out Her Axl Rose Dreams

If you ever picture it at all, the music you might expect to hear pumping from the stereo at Will Smith's house is probably some old-school hip-hop: Spoonie Gee, classic KRS-One, a bit of Grandmaster Flash. But if wife Jada Pinkett Smith is home,

"Onstage, I'm giving them Jada, versus me giving them a character. And some people like Jada and some don't." ? Jada Pinkett Smith

it's more likely to be an ear-bleeding mix of metal from Mastodon, A Dozen Furies, Otep and Bury Your Dead.

"I listened to all kinds of metal as a kid," said Pinkett Smith, who has spent the past few years honing her hard-rock chops as frontwoman of Wicked Wisdom, a band that's put in such serious road time lately that the actress has been all but invisible on the big screen since its formation four years ago. "Metallica, Guns N' Roses. I would always look at Axl Rose and say, 'Why aren't there any chicks out there doing this now?' I always wanted an opportunity to get out there and rock out."

So in 2002 Pinkett Smith decided it was now or never. She called a friend in the music biz and asked him to help her get a band together and shortly after, she met the Zakk Wylde to her Ozzy, guitarist Pocket Honore. At first, the group tried out a "rock/soul fusion thing" that didn't quite feel right, hitting the road in 2004 opening for the European leg of Britney Spears' Onyx Hotel tour.

"It was on that tour that we realized we wanted a more metal thing and we started writing more on that tip," she said. "It just started getting heavier and heavier, and that's when it clicked for us." Around that time, Honore brought on keyboardist/rhythm guitarist Cameron Graves and former Fishbone drummer Phillip "Fish" Fisher. While Pinkett Smith was finding her inner demon as the band worked out grinders like "You Can't Handle This" in the studio, the real trial by fire came last summer when the untested group hit the Ozzfest stage (see "Ozzfest Gets Jiggy? Jada Pinkett Smith's Band Added To Lineup").

Honore, who cut his chops working on R&B and hip-hop tracks with everyone from Erykah Badu to Patti LaBelle, gave up his lucrative production/session playing career to sign on with Pinkett Smith. He said the actress was understandably nervous when they first started playing together, but by the time they hit Ozzfest, her confidence was apparent. "At first it was too cute and we all agreed it had to be more brutal," he said. "Cameron is big into Meshuggah and I love Slipknot, so we played her some tracks along those lines and she said, 'Yeah, right there!' "

Four lineups and two albums' worth of material later, the band jelled, and Honore was ready for anything that Ozzfest crowds could dish out. "I done been in barroom brawls before," he said, citing some early dates that were a bit rocky. "But once word got out that we weren't a joke, people started coming out and by the sixth or seventh gig we were on fire."

Pinkett Smith, who listened to everything from Duran Duran to Led Zeppelin, John Coltrane, Prince, Pink Floyd and Mozart as a kid, described the feeling of rocking onstage as being wholly different from kicking ass as Niobe in "The Matrix" sequels.

"Onstage, I'm giving them Jada, versus me giving them a character," she said. "And some people like Jada and some don't, and that's part of it. It really grounds you and empowers you when you can get onstage and know you had a good show someplace where no one's ever heard of you. And the audience might not be that enthusiastic, but you rocked out and had a good-ass time. The difference is when you do a crappy movie in Hollywood, everyone says 'great job.' On Ozzfest, if you're crappy they get you off the stage and you know where you stand. Nobody's out there clapping because they want to protect your feelings."

Though songs like "Don't Hate Me" do have Pinkett Smith showing off her Korn-inspired rap skills, hubby Will has made a conscious effort to let Wicked Wisdom stay Jada's thing. Besides, she knows she doesn't flow well. "I asked him about my little rap thing on that song and he was like, 'You know, it's cool.' "

Opinion on Wisdom's upcoming self-titled debut album (out February 21) is split in the Smith household. While son Jaden likes mommy's songs, he's more of a hip-hop head and is always asking for Will's music. Five-year-old daughter Willow, however, is a huge metal fan. "She has as better growl than I do," Pinkett Smith said. "I dropped her off at school the other day and she said, 'You know I'll have a better band than you do.' " You've been warned. Look for Bloody Eye on Ozzfest 2018.

Except for a pair of projects she's considering for this summer, Pinkett Smith has put her acting on hold to concentrate on Wicked Wisdom. They are currently on the road opening for Sevendust and have more dates planned for late summer and fall. "This is passion," she said, pointing to some of the dark themes she wrote about on such songs as "Bleed All Over Me" (codependency) and "Something Inside of Me" (pedophilia) as examples of the release the band affords her. "I feel really blessed and grateful to have this opportunity."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1522697/20060127/wicked_wisdom.jhtml?headlines=true
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 11:48:12 PM »

This is a Fox News Alert.. The well formerly known as Guns N Roses has just ran dry...now back to regularly scheduled programing...

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 12:42:22 AM »

Jada Pinkett Smith's version of "Silkworms" kicks ass everybody ok

Everyone download it right now...

You'll be thinking, "Pittman who??..." hihi

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
journey
Moondancer
Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 12:45:01 AM »

That's so cool. I had no idea she was into that kind of music. It's so opposite to Will Smith's brand.

Jada has great taste.? beer
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 12:47:38 AM by journey » Logged
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 03:43:05 AM »

she would look at axl rose and say why aren't there any chicks out there rocking??? I hope she meant he was kick ass and not that she would see his tighty whities or kilt and wonder these things hihi
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 12:15:47 PM »

This is a Fox News Alert.. The well formerly known as Guns N Roses has just ran dry...now back to regularly scheduled programing...

Good one! ok  It's cool that she is into music like that but given her fame in other areas of entertainment she will never be taken seriously.

Sillything
VIP

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 02:59:01 PM »

If the music is any good she?ll be alright. Just look at Juliette & the Licks.They're fuckin awsome! If Gnr ever tour or Axl makes a duett, should be with her. Juliette that is

Stockholm 1991, 1993, 1995 (Slash), 2006,2015 (Slash), 2017
Roskilde: 2006
Helsinki 2010
Prague: 2010, 2017,2022
Milano: 2012
Aarhus: 2016 (Ac/Dc),
Berlin: 2018
Tallin: 2018
Gothenburg 2018
Kitty
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 08:00:09 PM »

I saw her at ozzfest. It was probably one of the worst bands I've ever seen.

9/20/06 9/21/06 12/15/06 2/10/12 2/12/12 2/15/12 10/20/12 10/21/12 11/2/12 11/3/12
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 08:57:01 PM »

Seriously?

What sucked so much in particular if you dont mind me asking..Was it just Jada or the whole band as a whole?

Ive seen Fishbone in concert many times, and I can tell you that if she's snagged Phillip "Fish" Fisher to play drums for her band, that contribution to the songs had to have been worth hearing at the least.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Elrothiel
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 06:52:33 PM »

Well that'z definitely put her in a whole new light! I never realized she was a metalhead!! How refreshing from all those teenybopper actressez putting out albumz like.... ugh... Lindsay Lohan and Hilary Duff. Both those girlz should be hung, drawn, and quartered, then strung up so that people could chuck rotten tomatoez at them. ok

Wow... aren't I just LOVELY!!! hihi
Kitty
Rocker

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 07:54:24 PM »

Seriously?

What sucked so much in particular if you dont mind me asking..Was it just Jada or the whole band as a whole?

Ive seen Fishbone in concert many times, and I can tell you that if she's snagged Phillip "Fish" Fisher to play drums for her band, that contribution to the songs had to have been worth hearing at the least.
The band as a whole wasn't horrible. It was a little generic, but could of had potential. Particularly, she didn't seem to belong, for comparison, she reminded me a little of OTEP. She had very little stage presence, was out of tune(from what I could tell) and just didn't seem to be very professional. Alot of screaming, which isn't bad, but didn't fit with the music.

It would probably be interesting to hear her recorded though rather than live.

9/20/06 9/21/06 12/15/06 2/10/12 2/12/12 2/15/12 10/20/12 10/21/12 11/2/12 11/3/12
DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2006, 12:54:42 PM »

Not in a million years would I think Jada Pinkett Smith was into this kind of music and do a cover of Silkworms.  Hmmm I need to hear that.

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2006, 05:02:51 PM »

Not in a million years would I think Jada Pinkett Smith was into this kind of music and do a cover of Silkworms.
and not in a million years could it be worse than the original. hihi

DoubleTalkingJive
VIP

Yes I have a shirt on, the words cover it.

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2006, 05:06:25 PM »

Not in a million years would I think Jada Pinkett Smith was into this kind of music and do a cover of Silkworms.
and not in a million years could it be worse than the original. hihi

LAMO!!!!!! Grin

Where it's at   http://www.gnrevolution.com

check it out!!
Elrothiel
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 07:22:47 PM »

Hopefully that WASN'T a typo DTJ! ok
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: