Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 07:21:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Ref: VH1, MTV & other major music corporations
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ref: VH1, MTV & other major music corporations  (Read 4149 times)
a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

Does the walker choose the path?

« on: February 18, 2006, 03:30:12 AM »

Somebody else touched on MTV in a different thread but it turned into a "slag off MTV thread". What I have been thinking is: Is it not a little odd that major channels such as MTV, VH1 etc have not reported the events of this week at all? I mean come on! They would usually have been on top of this pretty fucking quick even if it just got a couple of lines at the bottom of their news page! Do people think that maybe they have been spoken to by the bands management and come to some sort of agreement because all hell is about to break loose very soon? And when it does Axl will give exclusive interviews to these TV stations? Mike

Eclipsed107
VIP

Fucked over in Philly - 12/06/02

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 03:33:11 AM »

MTV is no longer a music channel and VH1 is never up to date.

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 03:34:33 AM »

Mike, I think you're on to something. At any other time, this would have been news. Strange days indeed. ok

a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 03:35:24 AM »

MTV is no longer a music channel and VH1 is never up to date.

Mate this was not my point at all to start moaning again about MTV or VH1. That is you opinion, but the fact is they are still the two major music television channels in the world. So back to my question. There is another thread on this board which looks like a bash MTV thread, pop your post on that one my man! Mike

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 03:37:20 AM »

Neither really play that style of music anymore. That is the only reason I have been scratching my head about Guns supposedly taking over the music scene again. There is really no hard rock medium that reaches the masses in today's world of hip hop. It certainly isn't top 40, so outside of rock stations I am struggling to figure out how it is going to rock the mainstream. It's a tough spot to say the least.
Eclipsed107
VIP

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 03:38:09 AM »

lol well, I didn't really mean to bash but... ?seriously, VH1 is always behind on this stuff. ?I hear stuff talked about on there that happened weeks ago. ?It'll probably be on "Best Week Ever" though.

and MTV they're not a music station anymore. ?TRL wouldn't talk about it. ?True they have those MTV NEWS segments but most of the time it really isn't about music anymore.

They should be talking about it on the news now, but they might just be waiting for more information. ?Don't forget it's only been 2 days. ?Give it some time.

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?
a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 03:38:18 AM »

Mike, I think you're on to something. At any other time, this would have been news. Strange days indeed. ok

Hey there James! Yeh thats what I have been thinking! It just seems a little odd. It wouldnt be in their interest to not mention it at all when it is getting this much media attention from smaller sites and Radio stations in the States! Mike

a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 03:42:46 AM »

Neither really play that style of music anymore. That is the only reason I have been scratching my head about Guns supposedly taking over the music scene again. There is really no hard rock medium that reaches the masses in today's world of hip hop. It certainly isn't top 40, so outside of rock stations I am struggling to figure out how it is going to rock the mainstream. It's a tough spot to say the least.

I live in England, and whilst I would have to agree with you about MTV. VH1 & VH2 play very cool music ie Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Chili Peppers, Audioslave, Nirvana etc etc all the time and they play a huge amount of Guns n Roses and not many days go by when there is not a few hours dedicated to the band with top 10's, behind the music etc!  Mike

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 03:43:38 AM »

Simple.  GnR crossed over into the pop market in the past with songs like SCOM.  A song like Better or The Blues could easily make it on Top 40 stations.  Their name carries a lot of weight, I mean their greatest hits album's been on the charts for nearly 2 straight years which is shocking considering the band only had 3 real studio albums and hasn't released a single since the early 90s.  Most of the people buying the Greatest Hits album are newer and younger fans and the album's staying power on the charts is telling of GnR's appeal in the current music scene
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 03:49:04 AM »

Simple.  GnR crossed over into the pop market in the past with songs like SCOM.  A song like Better or The Blues could easily make it on Top 40 stations.

2 things you aren't taking into consideration. A) Top 40 was much different in the 80's than it is today as Rock was a dominant genre at the time. Not so much the case anymore. Not to mention that someone like CC owns 40% of the stations in this country and they are all playing the same playlist.

B) Hip-hop was not near the force then it is now. Go listen to any Clear Channel owned Kiss-FM top 40 station and there is not a hint of Rock. Not to mention that GNR was a fresh new band at that point. Image wise, they are an aging band with a 44 year old lead singer.

Things have changed so much since Guns ruled the world in the early 90's that in today's consolidated media markets I see them having a hard time reaching the cross section of people they were able to 15-20 years ago.
Eclipsed107
VIP

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 03:52:02 AM »

I disagree, if the music is good people will listen to it.

Rock is in a desprate state - looking for something innovative and amazing.  Everything is the same now, there's no super group that everyone wants to see and be like - it's just generic band after generic band playing the same songs.  Music needs Gn'R to come back, I'm not saying they're going to give rock the dramatic push that it needs, but if there's any band in the world that can, it's Axl's.

a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2006, 03:56:32 AM »

Rock is in a desprate state - looking for something innovative and amazing.? Everything is the same now, there's no super group that everyone wants to see and be like - it's just generic band after generic band playing the same songs.? Music needs Gn'R to come back, I'm not saying they're going to give rock the dramatic push that it needs, but if there's any band in the world that can, it's Axl's.

Yeh I agree with you mate! Good shout! Come on though back to my point of the thread I am keen to hear peoples views on this to see if they too think its odd or whether I am just being a dick and reading way too much into something! Mike 

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2006, 03:57:57 AM »

Simple.  GnR crossed over into the pop market in the past with songs like SCOM.  A song like Better or The Blues could easily make it on Top 40 stations.

2 things you aren't taking into consideration. A) Top 40 was much different in the 80's than it is today as Rock was a dominant genre at the time. Not so much the case anymore. Not to mention that someone like CC owns 40% of the stations in this country and they are all playing the same playlist.

B) Hip-hop was not near the force then it is now. Go listen to any Clear Channel owned Kiss-FM top 40 station and there is not a hint of Rock. Not to mention that GNR was a fresh new band at that point. Image wise, they are an aging band with a 44 year old lead singer.

Things have changed so much since Guns ruled the world in the early 90's that in today's consolidated media markets I see them having a hard time reaching the cross section of people they were able to 15-20 years ago.

I still see it as possible.  I think SCOM would be a Top 40 song if released for the first time today.  And GnR has a built in fanbase too, you know that even a lot of the haters who've been talking bad about Axl Rose for all these years will probably buy the album out of curiousity if nothing else.

Another thing to think about is that there aren't many real rock bands right now that make catchy songs.  You either have the metal bands that are too heavy for mass consumption, or the pop punk crap which actually does make it on Top 40.  There aren't really any bands that GnR can be compared to that are putting out music right now
Axl_GNR
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2006, 04:18:20 AM »

I think GNR could still be huge.  The music is great so there is no denying them, stations will practically be forced to play them, a lot!  Rock is in a sad state right now and Axl will save rock once again!  If you don't think GNR can be successful, look how successful Green Day's last album was...and I thought it was pretty bland for the most part.  Well Chinese Democracy will certainly blow that album out of the water. 

a.k.a. Dovey
VIP

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2006, 05:31:50 AM »

I think GNR could still be huge.? The music is great so there is no denying them, stations will practically be forced to play them, a lot!? Rock is in a sad state right now and Axl will save rock once again!? If you don't think GNR can be successful, look how successful Green Day's last album was...and I thought it was pretty bland for the most part.? Well Chinese Democracy will certainly blow that album out of the water.?

Oh yeh!!

speed-stone
Banned
Rocker

...i fell in love and baby...

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2006, 05:34:37 AM »

Rock is in a desprate state - looking for something innovative and amazing.? Everything is the same now, there's no super group that everyone wants to see and be like - it's just generic band after generic band playing the same songs.? Music needs Gn'R to come back, I'm not saying they're going to give rock the dramatic push that it needs, but if there's any band in the world that can, it's Axl's.
well said, my thoughts excactly. i have been waiting for axl to do this for forever, and he is capable of sending all these generic rock bands back to where they came from. the last true rock god is back to reclaim his throne. smoking

i see the light at the end, but everytime i take a step, it gets dim... tell me is this hell we're living in? if so, heaven's gotta be better, but if we're hellbound, whatever, it's going down.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: