Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 11:13:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227937 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Mars Volta
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mars Volta  (Read 10210 times)
GNRBABY
Rocker

I'm on you like white on rice mutha fucka!

« on: February 20, 2006, 09:41:53 PM »

ok beer smoking  Genius.

Liar! You should be banned!!  rant
ClintroN
The board won't let me use a longer name than this!
Legend

Gimme some fuckin' Democracy

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 04:46:17 AM »

These guys are Pink Floyd on SERIOUS drugs hihi

i saw em' at Big Day Out 06 in Jan, i was bustin' to see em' 4 ages but only saw about 15 mins 'cause Iggyfuckin'Pop was on at the main stage no

I had to make a choice n' im sorry but Iggy is the man...i know i'll see em' again!!

Volta kix arse!! ok beer smoking

www.myspace.com/killmondays

GNR - Brizvegas - AUSTRALIA
June -19th 
         -20th, 2007
WeHeldTogether
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 11:47:00 PM »

A Mars Volta thread?  Yay!  beer

I love the Mars Volta.  They're so unique and awesome.

If you like TMV, check out At the Drive-In.  It's the band that the singer, guitarist, and bassist of The Mars Volta in before they formed.  They play a little bit harsher, more punk rock.  Same lyric style, sort-of, though.
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 09:54:28 AM »

I have only heard the Frances the Mute CD, but was very impressed. I was surprised that something that was so extremely different caught my attention on the first listen. Usually something like this would take a few listens to really let the genius sink in.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
benchiefjr
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 07:44:22 PM »

De-Loused in the Comatorium is genius...I haven't really gave the new one a good listen  crying
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 02:41:34 PM »

is it a woman singing? i hate women singing in rock music, i just cant stand it lol, just doesnt sound right to me. Not that i have a problem with it, its just not for me.

html sucks
benchiefjr
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 01:04:48 AM »

is it a woman singing? i hate women singing in rock music, i just cant stand it lol, just doesnt sound right to me. Not that i have a problem with it, its just not for me.
Nope...not a woman singing
muffinass
Headliner

I'm a muffin!

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 01:05:49 AM »

they're a bit overhyped i think. i have frances the mute, and i think the world of their song structures and melody progressions...it's their supposed 'trippy expermental improvisations' that i just can't swallow...
 ?it sounds like self-indulgent 'prog' a-la pink floyd (which did it hundred times better). other than that...(i mean there's also the porcupine tree which are much better and almost in the same vein)

Nov.15th, Air Canada Center !!!
benchiefjr
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 02:08:15 PM »

I dont think Porcupine Tree is as trippy as The Mars Volta.  TMV's new cd isn't anywhere near as good as De-Loused...check that cd out first.  peace
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 07:39:21 PM »

If there's any band that can come into my heart and have drink along with Guns N' Roses, these guys are it. Their music operates on so many levels. Heartfelt melodies, kickass riffs, progressive elements, broad range vocals, mix of genres and a great symbiose of different instruments. All mixed together creating a unike sound.

Deloused In The Commatorium is their most accesable album, but still pretty difficult. Alot of energy and great melodies. You can hear these guys just came from At The Drive In. Still they incorporate enough elements to make it sound fresh and experimental.

Frances The Mute. Enter progland. Took me a long time to get into this album, but once you do there's no turning back. In my opinion their most melodic album. The vocal lines on The Widow, L'Via L'Viaquez, Miranda, the last part of the first song and the first part of the last song (rarely remember any Mars Volta titles hihi) are some of the best melodies ever created. Smoke a joint and sit down with this record and you're in for a serious ride.

Amputechture. Sometimes it feels like leftovers from previous sessions, sometimes not. Took me a good 20 listens to get a grip on all of the songs. It's all very good, but sometimes I feel it's a little step back. A little too proggy. But nevertheless, alot of fantastic elements on this album as well. No Mars Volta fan will be dissappointed, but compared to their previous two albums this one falls a bit short.

Only band that has ever come close to rivaling Led Zeppelin. These guys could have a big future ahead of them. Their popularity will only continue to grow as time passes.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 02:39:45 PM »

Are u guys high?

I saw them open for the Chili Peppers and they sounded like a plane crash on top of a nuclear explosion..........

they are talented on CD but live they were horrible.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jc524
Rocker

I should have known you're crazy

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 03:23:18 PM »

Are u guys high?

I saw them open for the Chili Peppers and they sounded like a plane crash on top of a nuclear explosion..........

with a saxophone playing over it

they were baaad

Fucked up and out of place
Fspen
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 08:13:34 PM »

Seen em live twice.. as good an opening band as I've ever seen.  yes
WeHeldTogether
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 02:10:56 AM »

on the RHCP/SOAD tours, they were mixed terribly.  most of the time bands cant afford high quality sound technicians and stuff.

to add to this, they've been having drummer problems, so everything isn't as tight as it could be.  however, i think they are dealing with this problem.

you can't really judge them as an opening act, you have to go to one of their solo shows where they have freedom to do as they please for as long as they want, and play small clubs instead of large arenas.
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2006, 03:43:09 AM »

Are u guys high?

they were baaad

Bad is an understatement.

They sounded like shit. TERRIBLE mixing.

Haven't listened to the CD's... and I'm only judging off the opening act thing.. so.. they may be ok. Just not as an opener for RHCP.

gnrevolution.com
stardustonmyfeet
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 01:02:18 PM »

Mars Volta suck, nothing but noise over noise with some spanglish furiously being spit out by the lead singer.  Such a shame becuase At The Drive In had some pretty good material.  But then they split and they broke into two bands The Mars Volta & Sparta.  Sparta is actually a good rock band, check out the first 6 songs on Porcelain, fuckin mint!!! ok
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 02:06:09 PM »

I happen to have the exact opposite opinion smoking

But I can see how some of the fans that dug At The Drive In don't feel too strongly about Volta. Guess I'm lucky to love both.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
Refused
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 03:35:57 PM »

Are u guys high?

they were baaad

Bad is an understatement.

They sounded like shit. TERRIBLE mixing.

Haven't listened to the CD's... and I'm only judging off the opening act thing.. so.. they may be ok. Just not as an opener for RHCP.

A plane crash? On top of a nuclear explosion? With a sax playing over it?
That's the best band descroption EVER, and if I wasn't already a fan, that alone would make me want to listen to them.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 04:04:49 AM by Refused » Logged
WeHeldTogether
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2006, 12:33:05 AM »

Mars Volta suck, nothing but noise over noise with some spanglish furiously being spit out by the lead singer.? Such a shame becuase At The Drive In had some pretty good material.? But then they split and they broke into two bands The Mars Volta & Sparta.? Sparta is actually a good rock band, check out the first 6 songs on Porcelain, fuckin mint!!! ok

Spanglish?  Spanglish is spanish and english words mixed together in one sentence.  This is a bad example, but saying "Me gusta potatoes" is spanglish.  None of the Mars Volta's lryics are like this.  Are you saying you don't like Spanish and English lyrics put together, or something?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2006, 03:41:37 AM »

I downloaded  a song or two when they were on the By The Way Chili Pepper tour and I thought they were OK

Live though, It was almost unbearable, honestly and I am the type of person that can listen and enjoy almost anything but listening to them and that horrible mix was rough.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: