Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 14, 2024, 06:15:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228050 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Better Instrumental" - Discussions
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Better Instrumental" - Discussions  (Read 39726 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2006, 12:52:51 PM »

I thought Trunk only had 3 instrumentals and three songs.....Pilferk, what is your best guess as to where the leaks came from?

I have no earthly idea.  I've seen a bunch of theories floated about that are all as likely as the next.  A DJ ripping a copy of the CD that Axl has played in a club. Disks Axl has "shared" with other musicians to get their input (and those musicians then share with their friends, etc, etc).  Intra-label preview discs getting ripped or just flat out shared.  Buckethead having the demos and deciding to let them "out there" to his friends.  Etc, etc.  MOST of those can't be tracked down back to a source who is either a) going to comment or b) going to comment honestly given the implications.

Trunk, on the other hand, has no reason and no agenda to NOT tell the truth.  So, the one thing I can say with utmost certainty is that Better did not come from the Trunk CD.  IRS, Catcher, TWAT? Maybe...I didn't ask about those.

But definitely not Better.  Which means there has to be at least one other source "out in the wild".

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2006, 12:57:39 PM »

I thought Trunk only had 3 instrumentals and three songs.....Pilferk, what is your best guess as to where the leaks came from?

And good memory:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1477813/20030902/guns_n_roses.jhtml?headlines=true

Trunk believes a fan aware of Piazza's love for all things rock sent him the CD-R, which also included the instrumental and complete versions of two other songs. So whoever sent Piazza the disc must have obtained it through the studio, he reasoned.

From the article at the time the disk was played, there were THREE total songs: IRS and two others.

And Eddie's comments on 9/1/03:
http://www.gnrlies.com/eddietrunk.html

There were other tracks and music on the CD as well, but I only had a chance to listen to them on the ride home. Mike left the CD with me, so I could determine what to do with it from there.

The rest of the CD was also cool. It sounded like a total of 3 songs, with instrumental versions of each of the 3, making a total of 6 tracks (I think). The last track, which I did not play, was the best. A great rocker, with tons of shredding guitar from Buckethead. I don't know what the title was, but I kinda wish I had the chance to play that one as well. Mike & I didn't really know what we had, so we just played the first track IRS.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 01:00:21 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2006, 01:00:08 PM »

He also said he liked the last track in it best, didn't he?

I think it's the same one.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2006, 01:03:03 PM »

Well, given the fact that we know he heard the track at the time..

And given the fact I know he heard the leaked version of "Better"....

And given the fact he says Better was not on the CD...

Together again,
madagas
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2006, 01:15:58 PM »

I agree with Pilferk...Better definitely is "newer" than the other three. Sounds like it was recorded/mixed in an entirely different session whereas CITR, TWAT and IRS are similar in mix....in my humble opinion.  Huh
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2006, 01:18:04 PM »

I can see that connection with the other three songs. Better also just has a newer feel.. Its weird to explain I guess.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2006, 01:21:14 PM »

I agree with Pilferk...Better definitely is "newer" than the other three. Sounds like it was recorded/mixed in an entirely different session whereas CITR, TWAT and IRS are similar in mix....in my humble opinion.  Huh
No way! IRS and TWAT doesn't have similar mix... CITR doesn't sound like the other ones too, but I'm not so sure about this one because of the poorly source (most likely a regular tape).

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2006, 01:24:13 PM »

I agree with Pilferk...Better definitely is "newer" than the other three. Sounds like it was recorded/mixed in an entirely different session whereas CITR, TWAT and IRS are similar in mix....in my humble opinion.? Huh
No way! IRS and TWAT doesn't have similar mix... CITR doesn't sound like the other ones too, but I'm not so sure about this one because of the poorly source (most likely a regular tape).

I think we can pretty safely say that CITR is the oldest of the demos we have, if only because we know that May's sessions predated Bucket's entry into GnR.

Together again,
1badapple
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2006, 01:36:41 PM »

didn't brian may do his guitar parts for CITR in 1998?
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2006, 01:38:00 PM »

didn't brian may do his guitar parts for CITR in 1998?

end of '99

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2006, 02:15:34 PM »

The date of Brian May's recordings means nothing. A guitar track recorded in 1999 could be added to the song in 2006, if they want to.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2006, 02:17:43 PM »

early 2000!

End of '99 Tongue between mid-November and end of December

Quote from: MTV
March 8th, 2000
Brain May guests on next GN'R record?

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for Guns N' Roses confirmed to MTV News that Queen guitarist Brain May did indeed spend some time recording with Axl Rose late last year. (**NEEMO EDIT: late last year being 1999, since this article was written in march of 2000**) "Brian spent a week with the singer," the spokesperson said. "They recorded several songs worth of material, but we have no idea what's going to end up on the end product." Rose had told MTV's Kurt Loder last November that he planned to work with May.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/news/shownews.php?newsid=230

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2006, 02:18:23 PM »

The date of Brian May's recordings means nothing. A guitar track recorded in 1999 could be added to the song in 2006, if they want to.

True, the demo could have been assembled any time.

BUT still,  some of the parts (if not most of them), at least, are older than any of the other material we have...simply because, again, we know Mays parts predates Bucket's entry into ?the band.

Which, for my money, means the material is older than the rest.

Together again,
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2006, 02:27:51 PM »

Well, given the fact that we know he heard the track at the time..

And given the fact I know he heard the leaked version of "Better"....

And given the fact he says Better was not on the CD...

Given the fact trunk said he was warned by Sanctuary legally with a "cease and desist" order or something.

Given the fact that Trunk and piazza said Sanctuary had come and collected the stuff.

Given the fact that Trunk and piazza claim that they handed everything over. 

The option is still there.

However

seemingly The leakers are saying some are TWO year old demos from November 2004 according to maddy 88. Roll Eyes

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2006, 02:37:28 PM »

Given the fact trunk said he was warned by Sanctuary legally with a "cease and desist" order or something.

Given the fact that Trunk and piazza said Sanctuary had come and collected the stuff.

Given the fact that Trunk and piazza claime they had handed everything over.?

The option is still there.

Which has exactly bupkiss to do with Trunk's direct comment that "Better" was not on the CD.

See, the option ISN'T there.? Trunk said it wasn't there.? It wasn't there.? Did you hear the CD?? Then how is your "opinion" at all credible, never mind more credible than what the guy who actually heard it says about it?? Answer: It isn't.

If you heard a GnR song 3 years ago, from a CD that created a shitstorm that still follows you, liked it, and heard it again today, do you think you could tell it was the same song when you played it again??Hell, the crappy version of IRS came out a year ago.? Did you recognize it when the "clean" version leaked? Now take into account you're a guy who MAKES HIS LIVING IN THE MUSIC BUSINESS?? And your reputation is VERY important to you, since it's what you trade on?? Please.....

But again, if you want to believe something in direct contradiction to fact...go for it.? ?But, unless you can get a categorical comment out of Piazza that directly contradicts Trunk (good luck with that...I tried...and am still trying actually), since he's the only other person who heard the CD......you got no foundation for your belief...and can provide no credible evidence to the support it.

Better came from another source.? Period.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 02:41:02 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2006, 02:50:46 PM »

BUT still,  some of the parts (if not most of them), at least, are older than any of the other material we have...simply because, again, we know Mays parts predates Bucket's entry into  the band.

So? Do you really think May's work can't make it at the final version? Does that mean that CITR is older than IRS (as far as I know, it's Paul Tobias on the left channel and Buckethead's solo could be added later)?

CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2006, 03:03:28 PM »

My 2 cents.

I think it's good. I wish there were more instrumental versions of songs around. It really helps you appreciate the musical ability and talent that has gone into making it. The rhythm bit of the song is really danceable to and the solos sounds even better on the instrumental.

Sounds good to me  ok
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2006, 03:06:11 PM »

BUT still,? some of the parts (if not most of them), at least, are older than any of the other material we have...simply because, again, we know Mays parts predates Bucket's entry into? the band.

So? Do you really think May's work can't make it at the final version? Does that mean that CITR is older than IRS (as far as I know, it's Paul Tobias on the left channel and Buckethead's solo could be added later)?

I, personally think it's from around 2000-2001ish but that doesn't mean anything cuz i don't know shit about where its from hihi

From back articles it looks like May came in to redo Robin's stuff, and robin has since come back so the final track may be a hybrid of Robin/May, That's my theory as to why the blues sounds so much like May, but Robin's webmaster says Robin wrote the song. I think that's a major peice to that puzzle. I can pull quotes to support that if you want ok

Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2006, 03:08:28 PM »

this will make for fun karoke come friday night!!!  hihi

drunken better kaorke starts now! i mean friday!

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2006, 03:10:09 PM »

Friday? Yay, I wanna hear you scream!

Pilfilk
Trunk said "sounds like so I don't remember well cos I heard it ages ago" or something along those lines.
 when IRS leaked last year.
I donno why you are so desparately denying the trunks option? Roll Eyes
I'm just saying I don't rule out it yet.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: