Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 02:23:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Who was/is the bigger band--GNR or ACDC?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who was/is the bigger band--GNR or ACDC?  (Read 34178 times)
Origen
« Reply #180 on: March 21, 2006, 04:32:17 AM »

It all depends what you mean by "bigger".

Album sales ? Well some people here say BIB sold more then any GnR album, so  AC/DC win there.

Influencial ? GnR, They were probably the last REAL Rock N Roll band.

Exposure ?  GnR, Here GnR are still considered to be one of the best RnR bands there was, AC/DC are more just remembered for BIB.

I think they real difference is the timeframe:

AC/DC: Years of good success, lasting decades.

GnR: Explosive success, only last 7 years.
shaun
« Reply #181 on: March 21, 2006, 05:03:18 AM »

I think AC/DC are bigger on the grounds that Guns n'Roses broke up over 10 years ago. Guns n'Roses don't exist anymore. There is an Axl & Co. band, but it's not Guns n'Roses  hihi

The only member left of Guns n'Roses is a single rose, the other roses and guns have long departed.

So GnR wasn't GnR, when AFD came out? It was just Axl & Co? rofl

For me the AFD era was the true GnR line up. Axl Slash Duff Adler Izzy are GnR. Adlers departure was the begining of the end of GnR. Matt and Gilbey arrived as hired guns, and even the hired guns have gone their own ways. The new GnR is Axl. Can you imagine if Duff set up his own band and called it Guns N'Roses, can you imagine if Slash set up his own band and called it Guns N'Roses. If wouldn't be Guns N'Roses, it would Slash or Duff in a new band with new members  Grin
Axlative
Rocker

All Better now!

« Reply #182 on: March 21, 2006, 05:42:03 AM »

For me the AFD era was the true GnR line up. Axl Slash Duff Adler Izzy are GnR. Adlers departure was the begining of the end of GnR. Matt and Gilbey arrived as hired guns, and even the hired guns have gone their own ways. The new GnR is Axl. Can you imagine if Duff set up his own band and called it Guns N'Roses, can you imagine if Slash set up his own band and called it Guns N'Roses. If wouldn't be Guns N'Roses, it would Slash or Duff in a new band with new members  Grin

It's a moo point to go over again, but I'll just say this:

AFD era did define GNR. But would that band been anything without Axl? No one knows, but the members in that band have later on shown much evidence to very strongly question that.

Would Axl been anything without those members of GNR? No one knows this either, but my subjective view is that the evidence we have from Axl (without original/AFD era members) is strongly suggesting that he would've.

And back to the name point... Tracii & Axl made the name. Tracii left the band leaving Axl as the sole member with his name in the band's name. Then the AFD era lineup defined the band under that name. Is there a reason why the current lineup couldn't redefine the name?  Huh
boston
Rocker

diytvrocks.com

« Reply #183 on: March 21, 2006, 05:44:21 AM »

AC/CD

D.I.Y. TV SITE LINK

http://www.diytvrocks.com
knut
Who needs custom titles anyway?
Headliner

« Reply #184 on: March 21, 2006, 05:47:01 AM »

IMO...

GN'R kicks every bands ass. The greatest music ever, and still more to come.  drool

boston
Rocker

diytvrocks.com

« Reply #185 on: March 21, 2006, 05:55:00 AM »

AC/CD
GNR could not survive - and could not leave the kind of legacy GNR should have
FUCKIN' AC/DC's singer died and they put out "BACK IN BLACK" in less than a year,
GNR has not put out a record in almost 15 years

AC/DC wins

D.I.Y. TV SITE LINK

knut
Headliner

« Reply #186 on: March 21, 2006, 06:04:38 AM »

Fucking up this thread with your big letters. You suck.

So does AC/DC.

boston
Rocker

diytvrocks.com

« Reply #187 on: March 21, 2006, 06:27:14 AM »

So does AC/DC.
if they won, and they suck,
then what you are saying is GNR also suck?

D.I.Y. TV SITE LINK

knut
Headliner

« Reply #188 on: March 21, 2006, 06:45:09 AM »

So does AC/DC.
if they won, and they suck,
then what you are saying is GNR also suck?
Won what?
The 'Putting Out Shitty Records Competition'?

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #189 on: March 21, 2006, 07:39:41 AM »

Dave you do realize that AC/DC has been playing to those kind of numbers since the late 70's correct?? To this day they can still sell out a festival and any arena they play in......just give it up man, no one is denying that Guns had a successful jolt in the early 90s, but AC/DC was doing it WAY before and LONG after.? It's time to ween yourself from Axl's noodle and give credit to the OTHER SUCCESSFUL BANDS THAT EXIST IN THE WORLD, not only GNR.? We all love GNR, but c'mon, give it a break.

Like I said, no one was bigger than gnr in the early 90s. Do you remember the craz for the UYI release? That NEVER? happened for AC DC or Zeppelin. I am not saying gnr is bigger than either of those bands right now but from 90-93 neither of those bands were that popular at their height than gnr was at their height. The only band that was that popular at their height was the? beatles.

When I say no was bigger than gnr from 90-93 I am talking about at any time period for a 3 year span. You pick any three year span for LZ or AC DC and they dont come close to how huge gnr were for those three years.

you obviously have no idea what you are talking about.? Out of the 10 Studio albums Zepplein recorded, half are on the top 20 alltime best seller list.? The only artist to sell more music than them were Elvis and the Beattles.? And they got absolutely no LOVE FROM THE CRITICS.

And during Zeppelin's first five years or so, there was more of a craze for Zeppelin thna for GnR during there heyday

Well there is alot more piracy now days. Plus Elvis and The Beattles were the first of their kind and before that it was just boring music. There are TONS of bands now days with the same kinda music which saturates the rock market.

Piracy had no impact whatsover on GnR album sales when the majority of their albums sold; piracy wasn't an issue till the late 90's; AFD came out in 87 and the  Illusion albums came out in 91; it's a non-issue; come up with another excuse.  When GnR first burst on the scene they didn't sound like anything out either ok
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #190 on: March 21, 2006, 07:44:03 AM »

AFD era did define GNR. But would that band been anything without Axl? No one knows, but the members in that band have later on shown much evidence to very strongly question that.

Would Axl been anything without those members of GNR? No one knows this either, but my subjective view is that the evidence we have from Axl (without original/AFD era members) is strongly suggesting that he would've.

And back to the name point... Tracii & Axl made the name. Tracii left the band leaving Axl as the sole member with his name in the band's name. Then the AFD era lineup defined the band under that name. Is there a reason why the current lineup couldn't redefine the name?? Huh

Listen to Hollywood Rose, before Slash, and tell me if that band woulda been 10% as big as GnR was
shaun
« Reply #191 on: March 21, 2006, 07:47:25 AM »

And back to the name point... Tracii & Axl made the name. Tracii left the band leaving Axl as the sole member with his name in the band's name. Then the AFD era lineup defined the band under that name. Is there a reason why the current lineup couldn't redefine the name?  Huh

Listen to Hollywood Rose, before Slash, and tell me if that band woulda been 10% as big as GnR was

Good call. without Slash, Axl would probably working and McDonalds or pumping gas right now  hihi
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #192 on: March 21, 2006, 07:48:30 AM »

gnr was bigger in their breif time period.. That's about it everything else goes towards ac/dc.. Gnr could have really died out like many bands do, ac/dc has been consistent for 30 years, they lost their lead singer and came back with one of the best selling albums in the history of music..
Axlative
Rocker

All Better now!

« Reply #193 on: March 21, 2006, 08:06:04 AM »

Good call. without Slash, Axl would probably working and McDonalds or pumping gas right now  hihi

Ok, so what material should I compare HR to? How should I measure Slash's contribution?

That's just stupid. How about realizing that only comparable material is post-GNR material? And there IMO Axl wins hands down even without an album out.

sandman
Legend

« Reply #194 on: March 21, 2006, 08:18:45 AM »

bigger - ACDC.
and you really can't argue this.

better - GnR.
and i know this is just an opinion, but looking at it with an open and unbiased mind, GnR are clearly the better band.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #195 on: March 21, 2006, 10:24:33 AM »

And back to the name point... Tracii & Axl made the name. Tracii left the band leaving Axl as the sole member with his name in the band's name. Then the AFD era lineup defined the band under that name. Is there a reason why the current lineup couldn't redefine the name?? Huh

Good call. without Slash, Axl would probably working and McDonalds or pumping gas right now? hihi

Some how I doubt that.

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #196 on: March 21, 2006, 10:43:08 AM »

Good call. without Slash, Axl would probably working and McDonalds or pumping gas right now? hihi

Ok, so what material should I compare HR to? How should I measure Slash's contribution?

That's just stupid. How about realizing that only comparable material is post-GNR material? And there IMO Axl wins hands down even without an album out.

How so?  W/out the strength of AFD or UYI, do you really think any label would wait 15 years for an album? 
The only artist I know of that had a bigger career after his original band broke up was Ozzy.  Plant and Page never came close to equaling the success they had together as solo artists.  Slash, Duff, and Izzy neither.  I think Axl will find the same thing.  I like three of the 10 songs I've heard from this version of GnR (IRS, TWAT, and BETTER) none of which I like better than my favorites from the original band

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #197 on: March 21, 2006, 05:25:41 PM »

bigger - ACDC.
and you really can't argue this.

better - GnR.
and i know this is just an opinion, but looking at it with an open and unbiased mind, GnR are clearly the better band.

which GnR are you calling better; the current GnR never put out an album hihi rofl
and your comparing them to AC/DC

get a grip
Sparksry
VIP

Keep Calm and Welcome to the Jungle

« Reply #198 on: March 21, 2006, 05:33:01 PM »

he might mean like the stuff that is leked so far.

So, is there any tread left on the tires? Or at this point would it be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?
    - Stewie Griffin-
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #199 on: March 22, 2006, 01:03:29 AM »

As far as musical and historical "impact", GNR has them beat. As some of you have said, only the Beatles measure up against 87-91 GNR. I dont think anyone will ever be able to top GNR's success at that timeframe. They were invincible, made classic albums, and could blow anyone off the stage.This topic should be brought up again after a CD release and a tour.

I disagree that GNR had more of a musical and historical impact. First of all, saying The Beatles are the only band that has measured up to 87-91 GNR is just an opinion. I prefer GNR to AC/DC too, but AC/DC and their long musical legacy has easily had more of an historical impact, and that's a fact. While GNR were huge, they were never viewed as a band that had a historical impact on music.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: