Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:21:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Learning Musical Theories
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Learning Musical Theories  (Read 2032 times)
The Estranged MrFlashbax
VIP

The Tranquil Jester

« on: May 01, 2006, 07:43:05 PM »

i've been fiddling with the guitar for a few months.. and all i can play is random bits and pieces of random songs.. I'd really like to learn some musical theories.. anyone know where/how i can learn them without spending $80 per hour paying someone to do it for me?

and any help you may provide will be greatly appreciated

Thanks 2 those who went 2 Mustang Harry's on May 12th. That made my first concert experience something I'll never forget. Never did I feel like I fit in anywhere as much as I did amongst you strangers
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 04:38:58 AM »

It's all about self-practise and comitment. Do a google search on chords. So that you get to learn the basic chords and names. Also, do a google search on guitar scales. There are plenty sites out there which can provide you scales for the guitar for soloing and musical knowledge. Good luck man!

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 09:22:23 AM »

A great site for learning music theory for guitar is Dansm's Guitar Page.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 09:25:21 AM by Genesis » Logged

Fuck 'Em All.
Deez Nuts
Rocker

Village Gorilla Neck

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 04:43:52 PM »

I've done it once but don't know if it'd work all the time:

If you live close to a college, check out their schedule of music theory classes.  Make sure you show up the first day and say you just registered this morning so the professor doesn't have you on their list, they will add you, and then you are set the rest of the semester.  Not a dime spent, three free hours of instruction per week for 14 weeks, and best of all, you don't even have to show up on test day because grades don't matter. 

You might have to buy the workbook manual though to follow along with the class, mine was around $40. 

I took music theory one and just for the hell of it took the tests and got an A.  I still would pay top dollar to see the look on the prof's face when he went to punch in my grades into the computer system at the end and I hadn't even registered. 

It helped me out alot with guitar. 

Fargo  Nov 15, 2002
NY       May 15, 2006
NY       May 17, 2006
Ames   Dec 1,   2006
Mpls     Dec 2,   2006
Sturgis Aug 13, 2010
Fargo Aug 11, 2021
Irish rose
Rocker

You're Gonna Die!!

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 09:29:10 AM »

If you live close to a college, check out their schedule of music theory classes.? Make sure you show up the first day and say you just registered this morning so the professor doesn't have you on their list, they will add you, and then you are set the rest of the semester.? Not a dime spent, three free hours of instruction per week for 14 weeks, and best of all, you don't even have to show up on test day because grades don't matter.?

You might have to buy the workbook manual though to follow along with the class, mine was around $40.?

I took music theory one and just for the hell of it took the tests and got an A.? I still would pay top dollar to see the look on the prof's face when he went to punch in my grades into the computer system at the end and I hadn't even registered.?

It helped me out alot with guitar.?

Cheapskate!

If you can get away with it then why not go for it!

"I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich"
boston
Rocker

diytvrocks.com

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 11:31:46 PM »

If you live close to a college, check out their schedule of music theory classes.  Make sure you show up the first day and say you just registered this morning so the professor doesn't have you on their list, they will add you, and then you are set the rest of the semester.  Not a dime spent, three free hours of instruction per week for 14 weeks, and best of all, you don't even have to show up on test day because grades don't matter. 

You might have to buy the workbook manual though to follow along with the class, mine was around $40. 

I took music theory one and just for the hell of it took the tests and got an A.  I still would pay top dollar to see the look on the prof's face when he went to punch in my grades into the computer system at the end and I hadn't even registered. 

It helped me out alot with guitar. 

holy crap haha

D.I.Y. TV SITE LINK

http://www.diytvrocks.com
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 04:14:18 AM »

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=6602.0

Here's a pretty good thread for beginners. It has some useful links for learning the basic theories.

My favorite site's always been. www.cyberfret.com

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
MR. GNR
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 06:15:54 PM »

Hey guys i need some help... iv just joined a band with a few people i know from school..... and I am lead singer..... We are all only 16 and 17 but they all play and are still learning instruments and are all putting in a huge effort.... and so of course i feel i should also contribute some thing extra.... so i have started writing some lyrics and songs.... but I am not very good at it....
Is there any system to writing songs.... what is the best way to approach writing.... This is new to me so maybe it just takes time.... But i think i do need some pointers on how to get going..... I cant seem to get my head around it! I would really appriaciate anyone willing to help..
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: