Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 03:35:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227995 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  WTTJ #2 on Top 10 Greatests metal songs of all time
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: WTTJ #2 on Top 10 Greatests metal songs of all time  (Read 7465 times)
Takemedown
Headliner

Livin' Life Full Throttle

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2006, 04:38:50 PM »

What?? Angel of Death is better than Reigning Blood! Because of it's unsavory subject matter it's not on the list. Right there, for me means this list is bogus.

And GNR ain't metal anyway....stupid VH1 dipshits.
BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2006, 04:42:33 PM »

Yeah They had Korn after Pantera.. Thats a sin.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
TOPGUNner
Rocker

Gonna call the president...

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2006, 04:55:42 PM »

Guns and roses are considered 80's metal by many, and I'm not talking about 80's hair metal. In fact, Guns and Roses sort of took 80's hair metal for a loop before grunge completley killed it off

Got a one way ticket on your last chance ride
Got a one way ticket to your suicide
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2006, 05:03:09 PM »

Guns and roses are considered 80's metal by many, and I'm not talking about 80's hair metal. In fact, Guns and Roses sort of took 80's hair metal for a loop before grunge completley killed it off

oh really?  I don't think so.  "Hair Metal" is an oxymoron itself - theres no such thing.

I don't think anyone should get worked up over this list - like I said before, VH1 likes to lump hard rock, rock, metal together so they can make these stupid shows.  If a real music authority like rolling stone or someone made this list, then yeah, us rock/metal fans could groan a little...but its VH1 for christs sake.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
TOPGUNner
Rocker

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2006, 05:05:43 PM »

oh really?? I don't think so.? "Hair Metal" is an oxymoron itself - theres no such thing.

I don't think anyone should get worked up over this list - like I said before, VH1 likes to lump hard rock, rock, metal together so they can make these stupid shows.? If a real music authority like rolling stone or someone made this list, then yeah, us rock/metal fans could groan a little...but its VH1 for christs sake.

There's no such thing as "hair metal"? alllrrriiighhttyyy then, you'll have to explain the logic behind that.

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2006, 05:13:02 PM »

oh really?  I don't think so.  "Hair Metal" is an oxymoron itself - theres no such thing.

I don't think anyone should get worked up over this list - like I said before, VH1 likes to lump hard rock, rock, metal together so they can make these stupid shows.  If a real music authority like rolling stone or someone made this list, then yeah, us rock/metal fans could groan a little...but its VH1 for christs sake.

There's no such thing as "hair metal"? alllrrriiighhttyyy then, you'll have to explain the logic behind that.

name a hair metal band...poison? motley crue?  hardly metal.

TOPGUNner
Rocker

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2006, 05:25:46 PM »

Let's run through this...there are many types of metal. For instance:

nu or new-metal: Slipknot, Spineshank, Korn
rap-metal: Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park
Heavy Metal: Pantera, Ozzy, Black Sabbath

HAIR METAL: Motley Crue, Poison, Cinderella

"metal" isn't just one kind of music!!! The same thing with rock (hard rock, prog rock, industrial rock).

When different bands come along, sub genres of music are created. Fact of life

The Dog
Legend

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2006, 05:31:27 PM »

"metal" isn't just one kind of music!!! The same thing with rock (hard rock, prog rock, industrial rock).

i think most people consider poison and cinderalla to be glam or glam rock.  whatever, its all semantics - I say tomato you say tamatah. 

TOPGUNner
Rocker

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2006, 05:45:50 PM »

i think most people consider poison and cinderalla to be glam or glam rock.? whatever, its all semantics - I say tomato you say tamatah.?

Yes, you and I have recent history of tomato / tamatah

but...to interject one last time...David Bowie is considered glam rock...Poison and Cinderella and Motley Crue are all hair metal

BLS-Pride
Jack Daniel's drinkin'
Banned
Legend

Roses of Velvet Mother Fuckers.

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2006, 05:57:39 PM »

and GnR are conisdered hard rock.

www.rosesofvelvet.com
[BLS-Pride] 10:16 pm: ron - lemmy is god.. agreed?
[Bumblefoot] 10:16 pm: Lemmy created God.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2006, 07:01:33 PM »

i think most people consider poison and cinderalla to be glam or glam rock.  whatever, its all semantics - I say tomato you say tamatah. 

but...to interject one last time...David Bowie is considered glam rock...Poison and Cinderella and Motley Crue are all hair metal

Bowie is Bowie, I don't think he can be defined.  Let me sum up my thoughts on this and then move on to greener pastures:

Poison/Cinderalla/Etc..

hair = yes, lots of it
metal = not so much

so those bands have half the equation, but you're missing the metal part - your other "types" of metal (rap/nu/new) at least have a hard rock/metal sound....the hair bands of the 80s NEVER even came close to metal. 

nice debating with you Smiley  please PM me if you want to continue, i'm sure nobody else cares about our mini debate which isn't even on topic.

Back on topic:  I think in lists like this the number 1 is almost ALWAYS going to be a throw back/homage to the "grandfather" of the genre.  The fact that jungle was #2 is pretty kick ass in my book. 

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2006, 11:04:07 AM »

i think most people consider poison and cinderalla to be glam or glam rock.? whatever, its all semantics - I say tomato you say tamatah.?

Bowie is Bowie, I don't think he can be defined.? Let me sum up my thoughts on this and then move on to greener pastures:

Poison/Cinderalla/Etc..

hair = yes, lots of it
metal = not so much

so those bands have half the equation, but you're missing the metal part - your other "types" of metal (rap/nu/new) at least have a hard rock/metal sound....the hair bands of the 80s NEVER even came close to metal.?

nice debating with you Smiley? please PM me if you want to continue, i'm sure nobody else cares about our mini debate which isn't even on topic.

Back on topic:? I think in lists like this the number 1 is almost ALWAYS going to be a throw back/homage to the "grandfather" of the genre.? The fact that jungle was #2 is pretty kick ass in my book.?

Teleport back to the early to mid-80's...

Motley Crue and other bands like Cinderella were very much considered "metal", but more exclusively "hair metal".... Undecided

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2006, 11:42:34 AM »

Yeah Black Sabbath "Iron Man" is a great song and should be in the top 20 but not number 1. I think the number one should have been wttj or AC/DC "Back in Black".   

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
AxlsSweetChild
Headliner

proof the band stands the test of time

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2006, 12:00:42 PM »

Anyone know where Civil War is on that list, I couldn't imagine that it's not up there.
       Or was it only singles?

If you play My World backwards, Axl announces the release date for Chinese Democracy
gnrlies247
Rocker

Axl- you fuckin' rock!

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2006, 12:20:33 PM »

oh really?? I don't think so.? "Hair Metal" is an oxymoron itself - theres no such thing.

I don't think anyone should get worked up over this list - like I said before, VH1 likes to lump hard rock, rock, metal together so they can make these stupid shows.? If a real music authority like rolling stone or someone made this list, then yeah, us rock/metal fans could groan a little...but its VH1 for christs sake.

name a hair metal band...poison? motley crue?? hardly metal.

I'd agree some motley crue songs are not metal(such as girls,girls,girls-thats rock),but other songs such as shout at the devil sounds similar to early sabbath songs(in my opinion)-and sabath are metal.Bon jovi are classed as hair metal though aren't they-i don't see it myself,they're more pop-rock.

Back on topic- I think gnr shoulda been no.1, but at least they didn't come last-that would have sucked. yes
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2006, 07:49:34 PM »

That list makes no sense to me theres a lot of songs on there that have no business being on there.? GNR arent metal and Kiss?!?!?! Come on now thats just an insult to GNR.

The fact that Kiss is in the top 10 on any list with the words greats songs, totally invalidates the list
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2006, 10:54:52 PM »

Master of Puppets would probably have gotten my vote.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: