Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 10:24:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228016 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  A Perfect Circle
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Perfect Circle  (Read 4972 times)
Bostonrose
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: May 27, 2006, 04:22:29 PM »

Anyone hear the cover Imagine they do?  Fucking awesome..
now that is a great example of a band taking a song and making it there own

Lennon's version fills you with hope, APC version makes you want to kill yourself   AWESOME peace

"I never wanted you to be so full of anger, I never wanted you to be somebody else"
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 06:04:35 PM »

haha....it was weird for sure but i don't think it was a good idea to cover it....IMO it's one of those untouchabe songs.

I wasn't a fan of EmOtIvE (another damn cover album rant ) but Mer De Noms and Thirteenth Step are fucking great albums

Maynard's vocals are stellar as usual
Howerdel is a fantastic Guitarst
Freese's Drumming is great as usual

GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 08:06:37 PM »

the first two albums are masterpieces, emotive is ok, its a shame they are over.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 09:21:33 PM »

Lennon's version fills you with hope, APC version makes you want to kill yourself   AWESOME peace

Strange. Both versions of the song make me want to kill myself. The music is ridiculously simple and the message and philosophy behind the song are leftist and Communist to the nth degree. I'd be more forgiving Lennon's song if it had more interesting music backing it, instead of sweet, simple, repetitive pop. As it is, the only standing point is the lyrics, and they can only appeal to dull-minded drones, just like the music.

However, APC's version of the song makes me want to kill myself IN A GOOD WAY. They prove that any song can be sugar-coated to the point that its message doesn't affect the listener. Their version's slow, depressing music greatly suits the poisonous, insidious nature of the lyrics. They work together to make a great cover song. I haven't checked out this band, but I enjoyed the treatment they gave to the "classic" song Imagine.

I don't like most covers, but this one was really worth checking out.
GnFnR87
Legend

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 10:41:07 PM »

Lennon's version fills you with hope, APC version makes you want to kill yourself? ?AWESOME peace

Strange. Both versions of the song make me want to kill myself. The music is ridiculously simple and the message and philosophy behind the song are leftist and Communist to the nth degree. I'd be more forgiving Lennon's song if it had more interesting music backing it, instead of sweet, simple, repetitive pop. As it is, the only standing point is the lyrics, and they can only appeal to dull-minded drones, just like the music.

However, APC's version of the song makes me want to kill myself IN A GOOD WAY. They prove that any song can be sugar-coated to the point that its message doesn't affect the listener. Their version's slow, depressing music greatly suits the poisonous, insidious nature of the lyrics. They work together to make a great cover song. I haven't checked out this band, but I enjoyed the treatment they gave to the "classic" song Imagine.

I don't like most covers, but this one was really worth checking out.

interesting way to put it, i never thought of it that way. its too bad A Perfect Circle ended with a whimper with only a cover album... Passive is awesome tho...

damien24
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 04:28:50 AM »

haha....it was weird for sure but i don't think it was a good idea to cover it....IMO it's one of those untouchabe songs.

i thought the same thing at first-   but after a few listens it grew on me,  i think john lennon would like this version too, especially the video.
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 09:10:30 PM »

Passive, Imagine and Fiddle and the drum, is the only songs i listen to on Emotive. But Mer de noms, and 13 step is fantastic!

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 09:30:00 PM »

Mer De Noms is a really great album.

Wasn't Billy Howardel working with Axl before he formed APC with Josh Freese?
I imagine Billy and Josh could've written some great songs with Axl singing ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 09:57:31 AM »

Mer De Noms is a really great album.

Wasn't Billy Howardel working with Axl before he formed APC with Josh Freese?
I imagine Billy and Josh could've written some great songs with Axl singing ok

yeah there is a rumor that some songs on Mer De Noms were originally written for Axl peace

Chief
Legend

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 11:30:37 PM »

i've been listening to the first 2 albums a lot lately.. damn i love this band! saw them twice too luckily !   mer de noms is EXCELLENT!

what do you guys think of them?

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
GnFnR87
Legend

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 03:17:49 AM »

everyone always talks about Mer De Noms and i love it but i feel Thirteenth Step is far superior. songs like "The Package", "The Noose" and "The Outsider" are some of their best.

RichardNixon
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 07:12:11 AM »

Not that I?ve liked anything APC or TOOL has done, but I thought their version of ?Imagine? was particularly bad. 
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 08:29:29 AM »

everyone always talks about Mer De Noms and i love it but i feel Thirteenth Step is far superior. songs like "The Package", "The Noose" and "The Outsider" are some of their best.

I agree, but at first i wasn't fond of 13thstep....it took me a few listens to appreciate it fully ok

Freese's drumwork on 'Noose" is especially fantastic.

and i like "the nurse who loved me" Grin fun song

and "Pet" is a killer, creepy song

Markus Asraelius
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 12:21:14 PM »

I've only listened to 13th Step and I love that one. The package, the noose, blue, the outsider, the nurse who loved me, I love em all.
GnFnR87
Legend

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 01:46:56 PM »

I agree, but at first i wasn't fond of 13thstep....it took me a few listens to appreciate it fully ok

Freese's drumwork on 'Noose" is especially fantastic.

and i like "the nurse who loved me" Grin fun song

and "Pet" is a killer, creepy song

yeah at first i didnt like Thirteenth Step at all but it grew on me immensely as well. I love the sound to that album it really felt like a step forward musically from the first. I like the first too but i think i listen to Thirteenth Step the most.

Chief
Legend

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2006, 02:17:31 AM »

definitely check out mer de noms then, i think its such a great album and in my opinion even better than 13th!!!

I've only listened to 13th Step and I love that one. The package, the noose, blue, the outsider, the nurse who loved me, I love em all.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2006, 08:49:34 AM »

definitely check out mer de noms then, i think its such a great album and in my opinion even better than 13th!!!

yeah Mer de Noms is great....and its Howerdel and Freese fresh from their GnR days....Howerdel wrote this album in his off time as a sound engineer for GnR hihi too bad Axl didn't tap that source...also Freese thanks Axl in the liner notes ok

WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 11:16:33 AM »

neemo is the guy who got me into a perfect circle if my memory serves me correctly... ok

it was someone from this board for sure. i downloaded the noose to check out the drum work and it`s seriously one of my favourite songs now. mer de noms and thirtenth step are awesome albums.

just to clear some things up.. i`m not really well informed about the band.  emotive is a pure cover album and amotion are remixes? freese is the drummer? howerdel, the same guy who worked for axl, is the guitarist? they wrote mer de noms in their gnr sparetime (i guess they had tons of that hihi)?

and who?s the singer?

i`d be really thankful for any information people hihi peace

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2006, 11:28:42 AM »

neemo is the guy who got me into a perfect circle if my memory serves me correctly... ok

it was someone from this board for sure. i downloaded the noose to check out the drum work and it`s seriously one of my favourite songs now. mer de noms and thirtenth step are awesome albums.

just to clear some things up.. i`m not really well informed about the band.? emotive is a pure cover album and amotion are remixes? freese is the drummer? howerdel, the same guy who worked for axl, is the guitarist? they wrote mer de noms in their gnr sparetime (i guess they had tons of that hihi)?

and who?s the singer?

i`d be really thankful for any information people hihi peace

Singer is Maynard James Keenan of TooL and it may have been me that told you about the Drums cuz i remeber talking about that before...EmOtIvE is most covers if not all....I haven't heard of amotion Undecided

Howerdel was an engineer for GnR and did actually apparently write some of the songs on Mer De Noms for GnR but Axl wasn't interested and yeah he's the Guitarist...Maynard Kinda had a bigger hand in the songwriting process for Thriteenth step so that is why it sounds a bit more like tool...but Howerdel put the band together

Markus Asraelius
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006, 11:56:42 AM »

I think Amotion or Amotive, or whatever it's called, is a DVD. Like A Music Video Thing but I can't remember...
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: