Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 11:50:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Rottweilers (need more info)
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rottweilers (need more info)  (Read 4168 times)
SuperMike
« on: May 28, 2006, 01:09:08 AM »

In the future I'm thinking about getting a male rottweiler dog. I like what I know of them but I need to know more. I've heard something of them being banned from parks and beaches.

Are they actually that bad?

How would he and my female lab (adult) get along?

What would be the responsibilities I'd have to deal with?

Share what you know of this breed.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 04:04:54 AM »

I've heard of Rottweilers killing people (A family dog once killed a 1 year old child that happened to be playing near its kennel, in New Delhi) and they are banned in some countries. If they aren't properly trained and socialized they could get aggressive.

You might want to ask some people familiar with the breed before u buy one...

Fuck 'Em All.
SuperMike
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 04:26:16 AM »

It's funny, rottweiler-owners seem to be stereotyped as bad people but my aunt's neighbors who are like a goody clean-freak family own a rottweiler that is best friends with their little daughter, they actually let her alone in the fenced backyard with the dog and no trouble happens.

Olorin
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 04:41:52 AM »

There is a big stigma attached to them, "Devil-Dogs" the UK tabloids call them.

There are loads of knuckle-dragging inbred fuckwits who have them just for the fear factor and nuture them into aggressive animals.

I know a couple of decent people who love and nurture their rottweilers, train them properly etc. and they dogs are really freindly and fun.

People are intimidated by them though, and when you are fearfull of some animals they sense it and lash out. All dogs are a potential risk in my opinion, some are just bigger and stronger than others and get a bad reputation because of the damage they can inflict, death or terrible injuries.

Look at the history of the breed, if it is has been traditionally bred for violent purposes, then there will be a certain amount of extended risk that the animal may instictivly and unexpectedly aggressive, because humans created those charactaristics.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 04:46:07 AM by Olorin » Logged
godiva
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 05:35:41 AM »

My parents-in-law used to have rottweilers. You have to be careful to get them from a good breeder. The problem with rottweilers is, as you pointed out yourself, that there is this prejudice about these dogs. So, lots of people get rottweilers for the wrong reasons. If you go to a bad breeder, you may end up with an over-aggressive dogs, not to mention the many illnesses associated with the breed. Do some research on the breeder before you buy a dog. Make sure you meet everyone in the family, ask tough questions, see the mother dog of the puppy you would like to purchase. Buy a dog from a family with kids, so you know for sure the dog is used to having children around.

Rottweilers can be very good, energetic pets. They will guard your house very well, cause they're quite territorial. Good guard dogs. Make sure you have what the dog needs: space and time to go out for long walks. These dogs get nuts when they are locked inside a house all day. I personally love Rottweilers. With a good owner, they are fantastic dogs to keep.

I read you already have another dog. You may want to consider a puppy Rottweiler. This will decrease the changes of the two dogs not getting along plus you can train the Rottweiler yourself. If you buy an older dog, you have no way of knowing if the dog was used for aggressive purposes. Rottweilers need a strong leader, they will do anything for their owner. You can use that in a good way or in a bad way.

Be aware that people around you might be scared of your Rottweiler because of the stigma attached to the dog. They may not like it if you take your dog out without a leash. When you own a Rottweiler you will notice the prejudices people have against these dogs and you need to be sensitive to these issues. Just shouting at people that your dog is friendly will not diminish their fears, and this means that you may have to keep your dog on a leash the entire time. People's reactions to Rottweilers are quite different from their reactions to labradors. Think if you can deal with that before you buy the dog. Otherwise you may get into trouble with your neighbours  hihi

Some things to consider. Hope it helps  peace
iamspartacus
Opening Act

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 09:43:03 AM »

I've heard something of them being banned from parks and beaches.

Very possible. BSL (breed-specific legislation) is on the rise and Rottweilers are, alongside any type of Pit bull, the main targets. A very saddening thing, imho, but very real. Be prepared to deal with prejudice from your average Joe also, any type of big black dog is "HORROR".

Are they actually that bad?

They can be "that bad" unless you make the commitment to finding the right dog. Do NOT support BYBs (back-yard breeders), instead buy from a REPUTABLE, ETHIC breeder. Ask MANY questions, a good breeder will welcome them. In fact, you will have to prove yourself worthy of owning any pup such breeder produces! Rottweilers are one of the most popular breeds in America, and as a result have also become one of the most unstable, much like Labradors, Dalmations, etc. MAKE THE EFFORT, or else you'll regret it.

How would he and my female lab (adult) get along?

Rottweilers are notoriously same-sex dog aggressive, especially bitches, so getting a male is the right way to go. I'd suggest an age difference of at least 3 years between the two dogs, that should cut down the battle for dominance (at least in theory). If your Lab is an older girl, you might consider adopting a boy out of the puppy stages from a Rottweiler rescue. So many dogs are in need of good homes, plus by adopting an adult dog you'll diminish the risk of them not getting along since the rescue-workers will have picked up on any severe dog agression.

What would be the responsibilities I'd have to deal with?

TRAINING, TRAINING, TRAINING.? This is a breed with a mind of its own, strong and powerful. Enroll your dog first in puppy classes and then adult obedience classes, this is VITAL. A Rottweiler won't deal well with a push-over owner, or rather, he will take over the household and you'll have 100 pounds of muscle with teeth on your hands who doesn't obey commands and bullies around the kids, your wife, YOU. It may sound cliche, but this breed needs to be shown who's ALPHA (though none of that Dog Whisperer alpha roll crap *shudder*). Your dog will go through stages of challenging you every single moment, BE CONSISTENT. Of course there are many Rottweilers whose personality resembles that of a fucking Care-Bear, like humans no two dogs are alike, but overall this breed is in need of a firm owner. A Rottweiler is no Golden Retriever.

Share what you know of this breed.

They're my absolute favorite dogs. They can be clowns, serious, affectionate, aloof. They're VELCRO DOGS, they'll want to be with you every single moment. Trust me, if your dog has latched onto you as his favorite person, you'll never again go to the toilet alone if you let him! They're a people-oriented breed like no other, therefor they will be miserable left by themselves in the backyard. My current dog is severely dog-agressive (Pit bull), but in the future I'm definitely hoping to own another Rottie.

Fuck, I've written way too much, sorry. . .? Lips Sealed

An' gettin' used was havin' fun. . .
iamspartacus
Opening Act

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 09:55:32 AM »

a rottweiler that is best friends with their little daughter, they actually let her alone in the fenced backyard with the dog and no trouble happens.

While Rottweilers tend to be highly protective of "their children", I still have to shake my head at this one. . .

Small children should never, ever, EVER be left unattended with a large dog of any breed. It only takes a minute for an unfortunate situation to arise that can result in the child being hurt and the dog being put down. It's just not worth the risk, imho.

An' gettin' used was havin' fun. . .
Guns N RockMusic
Deer Hunter
Banned
VIP

I'm back baby, old school style

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 10:09:48 AM »

Just look at the number of dog attacks by breeds.  Rotweiller's and Pit Bulls (ecspecially Pit Bulls, I read they're like 60%) are the most notorius dogs for attacking people.  It's part of their temperment.  My cousin had a pit bull for a while, and it was a nice dog but I never trusted it.  I've personally had labs and beagles and they've never been a problem.  But it always comes down to the environment you create for the animal and whether or not you let it get away with actions it shouldn't.  I know that many cities are outlawing rotweillers and pitbulls and more are as the media reports more and more injuries/deaths caused by these animals.  Pitbulls and Rotweillers have been banned from almost every military base in the US.
Sterlingdog
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 10:45:04 AM »

a rottweiler that is best friends with their little daughter, they actually let her alone in the fenced backyard with the dog and no trouble happens.

While Rottweilers tend to be highly protective of "their children", I still have to shake my head at this one. . .

Small children should never, ever, EVER be left unattended with a large dog of any breed. It only takes a minute for an unfortunate situation to arise that can result in the child being hurt and the dog being put down. It's just not worth the risk, imho.

Thank you for saying that.  Too often people are so defensive of a particular breed that they won't acknowledge that the most affectionate dog in the world can still be dangerous. 

Even my friend's little dog bit my daughter once, and I was standing right there.  No one saw it coming.
SuperMike
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 02:24:11 PM »

Thanks for the info. The answer is no for now because I'm out of the house a lot (school, work) and the prejudice about them. It was mentioned earlier that they hate being left alone, right now this would not be the time. I'll wait until a better time and wait for the prejudism of these dogs to cool down.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 02:26:31 PM by SuperMike » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 02:42:40 PM »

My brother had one and it was a little lamb. Very gentle.

That being said, get a Lab. best dogs ever.

I have two lab/Australian shep mix.
Chelle
VIP

~Crazy Bitch~

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 03:12:12 PM »

I knew a family that had owned several rottweilers overtime and absolutely loved them.? Their dog that I actually knew was an absolute sweetheart, but he was very well trained.? I remember them telling me that he was extrememly protective of their 6-yr-old, but that had never been a problem.?

One downside, though, is that rottweileres don't typically live very long.? I believe that their life expectancy is about 8 years (or atleast that's about how long their dogs had lived).

Labs are the best big dogs, in my opinion!? I've had several labs and several lab mixes, and all were wonderful animals.? Right now, I have a lab/German shepherd mix, and she is the best dog I've ever had.?

Good luck? ?ok

"She was queen for about an hour...? after that, shit got sour... She took all I ever had.? No sign of guilt.? No feeling of bad, no..."
SuperMike
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 03:31:59 PM »

Yeah my female lab is great. She's so dependable and is easy to take care of.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 03:34:40 PM by SuperMike » Logged
SLCPUNK
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2006, 03:37:43 PM »

One downside, though, is that rottweileres don't typically live very long.  I believe that their life expectancy is about 8 years (or atleast that's about how long their dogs had lived).

I did not know that.........
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2006, 08:36:54 PM »

Ive had one for about 7 years now and it has never attacked anyone. It really depends on how the dog is treated, if its treated bad and chained up all the time it's going to be agressive. Its its treated good and allowed to roam around a fenced in yard etc, it isnt going to attack anyone. Mine doesnt even bark if a stranger comes around. But the most important thing is, you have to make sure the dog gets lots of exercise. Rotties get pretty damn big (mines about 180 pounds) so they have to be walked alot.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2006, 09:58:35 PM »

Ive had one for about 7 years now and it has never attacked anyone. It really depends on how the dog is treated, if its treated bad and chained up all the time it's going to be agressive. Its its treated good and allowed to roam around a fenced in yard etc, it isnt going to attack anyone. Mine doesnt even bark if a stranger comes around. But the most important thing is, you have to make sure the dog gets lots of exercise. Rotties get pretty damn big (mines about 180 pounds) so they have to be walked alot.

My brothers was huge and that thing was a creampuff. It would get up and lay in bed with me; just a big ole baby.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2006, 10:24:29 PM »

That's what mine does, in fact hes snoring on my bed right now.
SuperMike
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2006, 12:42:08 AM »

What do you mean treated bad, like beaten or not given attention?

I probably just answered my own question anyway,lol.
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2006, 01:48:02 AM »

I have a Rot.....great dog, not aggressive at all, big lazy bastard actually, lol  Just get a puppy, and treat it right, and you'll have no problems.

off topic...I also used to have a Pit....annoying dog. not agressive, just annoying

Axl is God.
alexh0618
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2006, 01:54:58 AM »

One of my friends had three rotweillers. She trained them very well and they were great dogs but out of nowhere, one of them lashed out and attacked her step daughter so they had to put him down. They are great dogs but they can also be unpredictable. My advice for you is to go to your local animal shelter or humane society and pick up a lab or some kind of mutt. My dog that died a while ago was part lab and part collie and it was the most wonderful dog you could imagine. He was very approachable and was well around people.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: