Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 07:42:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227983 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Question for Nu Guns Noobies
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question for Nu Guns Noobies  (Read 17702 times)
Saul Isobel
Headliner

Here Today...

« on: May 28, 2006, 04:40:01 PM »

Ok, so i'm curious. Having read alot of threads here it occurs to me that most here are too young to have experienced Guns'n' Roses in their prime. So, what is it about Nu Guns that you find so appealing? I mean lets face it - this is now a 44 year old man (Axl) and a bunch of hired hands playing the majority of songs made famous by its legendary original members some 20 years ago. The best my friends (judging from the latest live reviews) appears to be long gone, so WHY do you younger fans in particular latch on to Guns n Roses now? Is there nothing else fresher or more 'dangerous', 'exciting' or totally 'rad' to be passionate about...

DISCUSS..........  ok
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 04:43:58 PM »

well for me is just the thing that I didn?t live the late 80s and early 90s so this is what I can have now, so I gotta support this new band, even as most of you, dreaming about a reunion of course. Can you imagine how big could GN?R be if they were all still together? Oh well... but let?s not get into that...

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 04:44:25 PM »

i think you should know better then to start a thread like this. its gonna turn into one big bitch fest. use the search engine to find other topics like this.

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 04:45:00 PM »

Dead horse.

But for the record, every band has n00b fans, what makes GN'R so different? ?Do you not like any bands that were before your time?

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
darknemus
I lost my threads and all I got was this lousy title
Legend

A true fan - no, not that 'truefan' (where is he?)

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 04:45:26 PM »

A. I'm not a teenager.  I've seen Guns 7 times now.. (4 w/ old lineup, 3 in NYC)

B. Musically, these guys are just a better bunch - sorry, when you're not so fucked out of your mind that you're tripping over your amp cords, things tend to come off better for you.

C. Axl's voice is, in my opinion, just about as strong as its ever been.

D. As a person who likes NIN, Genitorturers, Rob Zombie, and other vaguely industrial sounding bands - I like what Axl's done with this new 'evolution' of Guns and the Guns sound.

E. WHEN Democracy comes out (I truly feel its no longer an issue of IF) - I'm pretty sure that the legacy of 'the old guys' is going to become a rapidly fading memory.  The reviews will have their 'wheres Slash' crap and all that - but MUSCIALLY (which is what counts, in my opinion) - I think that this version of GNR is going to run circles around the old band.  Both in complexity of arrangements and in the general 'vibe' of the music.

Let's face it - that sweaty, sleazy, Sunset Strip rock thing just doesn't 'work' anymore - music has evolved - and I think these guys are about to show you that.

-darknemus

It's not how you're thinking, or as you've imagined
To live in a shade of beliefs that were fashioned
to leave you in slavery and drain out your soul....
Jimmy?
You can't really dust for vomit
Legend

Don't you try to stop us now.......

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 04:48:34 PM »

A. I'm not a teenager.? I've seen Guns 7 times now.. (4 w/ old lineup, 3 in NYC)

B. Musically, these guys are just a better bunch - sorry, when you're not so fucked out of your mind that you're tripping over your amp cords, things tend to come off better for you.

D. As a person who likes NIN, Genitorturers, Rob Zombie, and other vaguely industrial sounding bands - I like what Axl's done with this new 'evolution' of Guns and the Guns sound.

E. WHEN Democracy comes out (I truly feel its no longer an issue of IF) - I'm pretty sure that the legacy of 'the old guys' is going to become a rapidly fading memory.? The reviews will have their 'wheres Slash' crap and all that - but MUSCIALLY (which is what counts, in my opinion) - I think that this version of GNR is going to run circles around the old band.? Both in complexity of arrangements and in the general 'vibe' of the music.

Let's face it - that sweaty, sleazy, Sunset Strip rock thing just doesn't 'work' anymore - music has evolved - and I think these guys are about to show you that.

-darknemus

great post dark, totally agree  ok
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 04:48:55 PM »

the music will speak for itself when the record comes out.

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
busngabb
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 04:49:20 PM »

A. I'm not a teenager.  I've seen Guns 7 times now.. (4 w/ old lineup, 3 in NYC)

E. WHEN Democracy comes out (I truly feel its no longer an issue of IF) - I'm pretty sure that the legacy of 'the old guys' is going to become a rapidly fading memory.  The reviews will have their 'wheres Slash' crap and all that - but MUSCIALLY (which is what counts, in my opinion) - I think that this version of GNR is going to run circles around the old band.  Both in complexity of arrangements and in the general 'vibe' of the music.

-darknemus

Amen.
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 04:52:23 PM »

-darknemus

great post darknemus ok

the reason i`m a fan of this band is the new music. i didn`t expect it to be that good (although i`m an axl fanboy hihi Wink)

i`m really looking forward to CD and i think it`ll be definitely worth the wait. the songs i`ve heard yet suggest that to say the least.

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
SWINGTRADER
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 04:57:22 PM »

Ok, so i'm curious. Having read alot of threads here it occurs to me that most here are too young to have experienced Guns'n' Roses in their prime. So, what is it about Nu Guns that you find so appealing? I mean lets face it - this is now a 44 year old man (Axl) and a bunch of hired hands playing the majority of songs made famous by its legendary original members some 20 years ago. The best my friends (judging from the latest live reviews) appears to be long gone, so WHY do you younger fans in particular latch on to Guns n Roses now? Is there nothing else fresher or more 'dangerous', 'exciting' or totally 'rad' to be passionate about...

DISCUSS..........? ok

Judging from the recent live reviews??   Madrid got bad reviews because people were pissed about Axl being late for 2 hours.  The 4 shows in NYC got very good reviews  and   last night's show has also gotten good reviews.    The mix was atrocious because of what happened ( merk explained).   I want you to find me a review written by the media  that says last night's show was terrible .  And it has to be by someone in the press that actually attended the show .    I'll be waiting.
Carlos_f_Rose
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 05:00:36 PM »

Im 21 years old , Ive followed Guns n roses since 98, never liked the replacements, ....  I just wanna listen to what Axl has to offer with CD....   
Charity Case
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 05:12:00 PM »

I saw GNR 4 times with the old lineup and once (twice if you count last night) with the new lineup.  You are just wrong.  These guys can't hold the old guy's jocks IMO.  It probably has something to do with the new guys having to play the old guys material and they may shine more when they get to play stuff they actually wrote.  Who knows.  And where it really counts....in the studio ... they won't be able to compete with the old band.  I've heard 7 songs so far by these guys and none of them come close to capturing that magic the old band created.  Let's hope for nuGNR's sake that the material we havenb't heard yet is better than The Blues and IRS. 

Not last night...but at the show I saw in 2002 it was.  And from what I've heard from the NYC shows, yes his voice is probably not that far off from where it was in 1991.

A matter of opinion for sure.  I don't dislike the evolution mostly because we have only heard (presumably) the weaker of the songs.  If these new songs we have are the cream of the crop than nuGNR is in trouble.

E. WHEN Democracy comes out (I truly feel its no longer an issue of IF) - I'm pretty sure that the legacy of 'the old guys' is going to become a rapidly fading memory.? The reviews will have their 'wheres Slash' crap and all that - but MUSCIALLY (which is what counts, in my opinion) - I think that this version of GNR is going to run circles around the old band.? Both in complexity of arrangements and in the general 'vibe' of the music.

The legacy of the old band will never fade.  They created some of the greatest music ever.  That just never fades man.  It's kind of like classic Led Zepplin or AC/DC, it just gets better with time.  And dark, really, you think a band of guys who have done nothing really with their careers (except Tommy with the Replacements) is gonna run circles around legends?0  I know you can't believe this based on what I've heard so far.  Maybe you have more music from nuGNR than me to listen to, but from what I've heard there is no comparison.  The four recently leaked tracks have nothing on the music in AFD or the UYIs, IMO.

I'm not trying to be arguementative here.  But when someone claims this band is going to better than legends, someone needs to step up and say "are you serious"?

-darknemus

Saul Isobel
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 05:13:15 PM »

A. I'm not a teenager.? I've seen Guns 7 times now.. (4 w/ old lineup, 3 in NYC)

-darknemus

An interesting post here dark, but one that certainly needs to be dissected and scritinized in closer detail...

That's an odd generalisation for starters. How can they be better musically when NONE of these guys can match the songwriting chops or legacy of an Izzy or Slash, let alone the world renouned guitar prowess of a true living legend such as Mr Hudson? Yeah, the original guys got pretty fucked up on drugs but they STILL pulled off some amazing shows over the years (Marquee Club 87, Donington 88, Roxy NYC, CBGB's, UYI MSG etc etc) the like of which this new band can only dream about, Axl aside of course. You seem to forget that the essence of rock n roll is not about scientific perfection. It's all about danger, rebelling, energy and excitement - a special moment in time. Angus Young, Eddie Van Halen, Jimmy Page, Hendrix, Morrison... the list is endless of true rock n roll legends who never went on stage straight in their heyday and still delivered the goods like no one had ever seen. That my friend is what rock n roll is all about! That my friend is ORIGINAL G'n'R. ?peace

That seems to be very subjective and of a minority opinion from what i've read here lately. It appears Axl's out of breath, sucking on oxygen, looking and sounding his age, unable to hit the same heights the faithful are used to according to most here that have seen recent shows...

This is an absurd statement. AFD sounds as fresh today as it did in 1987, and that album epitomizes the "Sunset Strip rock thing." Rock n Roll in it's purest form has 'dying' since 1956 in one form or another - yet it still prevails. It still dominates the nu-Guns live set and the new guys can NEVER ever do anything that will overshadow that. ?yes
bumblerocks
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2006, 05:14:56 PM »

DISCUSS..........? ok

you're a sad, sad person. no
most people like myself have actually experienced gnr in the 90's and still find it in us to support the new band. cut your mullet you stupid fuck. no
FortusGNR21
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2006, 05:15:50 PM »

I'm 21, so yeah I never got a chance to see the Old Guns in concert, but AFD was the first album I ever got, given to me by my Uncle at the age of 12, and about 1000 cd's later it is still my favourite record in my collection, the old Guns mean so so much to me, it was the sound that perfectly encapsulated growing up, it had an anger and a rawness that IMO still makes it the greatest rock album ever made! No-one will ever criticise old Guns, we all wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the music that they gave us and the good times that so many have experienced BUT things change, it's a fact of life, however painful it may be.

This is a band that in my opinion has so much potential, we all can see that this band can play the fuck outta the old songs, and due to us being 'downloading motherfuckers' we can all judge how good the new tunes are! ?hihi ?Axl on his game is still second to none in having the swagger and energy that makes a truly great front man. YES I accept that this new band needs to have music out there to be truly appreciated, but these guys have stuck with Axl for years through the wilderness and have come out stronger than ever and for that I am so happy! The world NEEDS Guns N' Roses, in whatever incarnation and as far as I'm concerned this new band rocks and deserves respect in it's own right.

I get up around 7, get outta bed around 9, and I don't worry bout nothin no because worryin's a waste of my fuckin time!
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2006, 05:16:15 PM »

What makes me passionate about the band? ?.... The music! ?Madagascar, The Blues, Better, TWAT, IRS, Catcher In the Rye... I like them all better than any songs by the old band. ?Yeah, I know many of you will disagree, but as much as I like the old songs, they aren't what got me into Gn'R in the first place. ?The best of Gn'R is yet to come, for me, and there is no other band, nothing else out there anywhere near as exciting in the music world right now.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
FlashFlood
Rocker

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2006, 05:17:31 PM »

how about because im an axl rose fan? does that count?

poop
Steel_Angel
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2006, 05:18:22 PM »

So, what is it about Nu Guns that you find so appealing?
I wasnt a "hardcore" guns fan until after i saw GNR perform in the 2002 VMA's, before that i only liked a few old gnr tunes like YCBM or Nightrain (now i like them all)
This new band is so much better than most bands we have today (green day, falloutboy, i could go on forever) judging by the leaked demos and the live new songs it just makes you want to wait for Chinese Democracy ?hihi
and axl rose still kicks ass.
Death Cube K
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2006, 05:18:30 PM »

Ill say it one sentence:

To be entertained and to see what Axl Rose and his friends have come up with.

It doesnt have to be more difficoult than that.
Death Cube K
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2006, 05:20:17 PM »

You are just wrong.  These guys can't hold the old guy's jocks IMO.

I have about 50 or so bootlegs from the old days, and LOTS and LOTS of those bootlegs doesnt come anywhere near yesterdays performance. IMO.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: