Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 10:11:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227937 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Greatest Band Ever?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greatest Band Ever?  (Read 8988 times)
Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2006, 12:02:20 PM »

I would go with Zeppelin myself, followed by the Stones.

EFISH
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2006, 12:08:26 PM »

AC/DC, though simple rock.. are legends to be remembered forever. GNR, imo is the best band ever. Every song (with the exception of a very few) are all amazing! Probably 8 out of my 10 favorite songs ever are GNR songs! Zeppelin is a band that comes to mind also, they helped pioneer rock.

The greatest band ever.. and biggest band ever?... its not the greatest to me, but in general.. The Beatles.. no question about it.

They are deffinetly the biggest, the most hits, and will live on as the geatest band of all time forever.
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2006, 02:48:50 AM »

I think Black Sabbath deserves more credit here. Unlike the Beatles, GnR, or Queen, they created a new genre of music. Not many bands can say that.  Wink
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2006, 03:32:29 AM »

I think Black Sabbath deserves more credit here. Unlike the Beatles, GnR, or Queen, they created a new genre of music. Not many bands can say that.  Wink

METAL \m/

smoking  beer

black sabbath own, they also play like every subgenre you can think of...including stoner metal. drool

html sucks
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 03:56:10 AM »

In fact, some guys will go as far as to say Sabbath's albums Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage were sellouts, but most place the sellout date at Technical Ecstacy. I agree that Sabbath's first 4 albums are their best, but their next 2 were respectable efforts.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2006, 04:12:21 AM »

In fact, some guys will go as far as to say Sabbath's albums Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage were sellouts, but most place the sellout date at Technical Ecstacy. I agree that Sabbath's first 4 albums are their best, but their next 2 were respectable efforts.

sabbath bloody sabbath and sabotage fucking own, sabotage is one of my favourites!!!!

seriously heavy riffs, and who can beat the song "sabbath bloody sabbath".

i find volume 4 a more commercial album, with crap like "changes" on it.

obviously the self titled and paranoid rock also, oh and technical ectasy.

html sucks
Bono
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2006, 03:56:22 AM »

It's a tough topic because as was mentioned music is sunbjective to the listener. Many of you will feel Guns N' Roses are the best ever but can you honestly say that they are in the discussion of greatest band ever? I don't think you can make that arguement for Gn'R.  I know my opinion will sound crazy here on a Guns board but I think U2 have a really strong case for the greatest band of the last 25-30 years. Whether you like them or not there's no denying that they've done what no other band has done. They've been on top of the music world for nearly 30 years, almost from the get go. They were a stadium band before they had huge album success which is extremely rare so they were massive before Joshua Tree and only got mega massive afterwords. They've reinvented themselves twice(80's-90's and 90's - 00's) while maintaining and in fact building upon thier fan base. They have a U2 sound that is so distinct that  you could make the arguement that they're entrentched in our psyche more than any other band. They're possibly the only band you'll hear on classic rock, hard rock, easy listening, gospel and top 40 stations. In recent years their influence has become so obvious. Coldplay, Keane, Snow Patrol, to name a few and most recently Angels and Airwaves. Again think what you will of these bands but for U2 to be influencing top 40 bands(some of them huge) while still being a top 40 band themselves is impressive. They continue to dominate the touring industry. I know some of you will say the Stones made more money and yes that's right but U2 was far an away the most requested ticket through ticketmaster in 2005. I don't feel U2 can be called best band ever just yet but I think as years go by they'll start coming up more and more in the conversation.  Again though it's all subjective to your likes and dislikes but all biases aside I honestly think you can make a better arguement for U2  as "best band ever" than you can for pretty much any other band of the last 30 years except maybe, maybe, Led Zeppelin.
Catt
Headliner

Do as you got to, go your own way

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2006, 04:02:47 AM »

Not the greatest band in the world, but definetly one that slaps GNR in the face when it comes to rebirth, burying the hatchet, giving a second chance...and long lasting
They play great music, do great shows, have a great frontman....ladies and gents....RHCP! peace

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2006, 07:25:17 AM »

Not the greatest band in the world, but definetly one that slaps GNR in the face when it comes to rebirth, burying the hatchet, giving a second chance...and long lasting
They play great music, do great shows, have a great frontman....ladies and gents....RHCP! peace

maybe if they hadnt have made albums after blood sugar sex drugs and magic.

but as far as im concerned t hey went very much downhill after that great album.

html sucks
Danny Top Hat
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2006, 07:36:24 AM »

Queen? Undecided
Catt
Headliner

Do as you got to, go your own way

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2006, 07:38:54 AM »

If we're talking about classics, i'd go for The Beatles....they had great music, style...and they were BIIIIG!

liesin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2006, 08:29:35 AM »

sabbath need more cred! After all the fucking created a nwe genre! Greates band in the wold? I really can't tell,
GNR haven't realeased any selfwritten material that is bad, that is fucking huge to me.

Give nazareth (1970-1975) a glimpse, that's fucking good music.
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2006, 12:54:01 PM »

Queen? Undecided

Yeah, Queen. Have any arguments against that?

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2006, 01:16:03 PM »

i'd have to go with queen too.

who doesn't know we are the champions and we will rock you?

if freddie was still here i bet they'd still rock the shit out of everybody

liesin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2006, 01:45:43 PM »

true! Queen sure rocked the planet back in the days. Fucking impossible thread but kind of interesting.
Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2006, 02:03:24 PM »

Queen? Undecided

Agreed, Queen is, was and will be one of the most innovating band and very influential to lots of rock bands, Including, GNR, Iron Maiden, Pantera, Stratovarius, Helloween and so on.
I am putting diffrent genres of bands so you can see how influential they were  ok

No man can be my equal
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2006, 02:06:08 PM »

Queen? Undecided

Agreed, Queen is, was and will be one of the most innovating band and very influential to lots of rock bands, Including, GNR, Iron Maiden, Pantera, Stratovarius, Helloween and so on.
I am putting diffrent genres of bands so you can see how influential they were? ok

Ive heard of many bands who influenced Pantera...but Queen has never been mentioned that I've heard....

mostly pre 90's Van Halen, DefLeppard and Metallica from what i can gather from articles and interviews peace

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2006, 02:11:55 PM »

also i wanna go on record saying that no more tears version of Ozzy's band has to be one of the best of all time:

Ozzy Osbourne - Vocals
Zakk Wylde - Guitar
Randy Castillo - Drums
Mike Inez - Bass

How's that for a super group!!! yes beer

Mr. Dick Purple
and the iconoclast in yellow
Legend

I have inside me blood of Kings

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2006, 02:35:16 PM »

Ive heard of many bands who influenced Pantera...but Queen has never been mentioned that I've heard....

mostly pre 90's Van Halen, DefLeppard and Metallica from what i can gather from articles and interviews peace

Well then indirectly influenced cause Metallica and Def Leppard have Queen roots, but I read somewhere that Pantera did have some Queen influence, if i find the article I'll post it  ok

No man can be my equal
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2006, 02:43:27 PM »

Well then indirectly influenced cause Metallica and Def Leppard have Queen roots, but I read somewhere that Pantera did have some Queen influence, if i find the article I'll post it? ok

cool i love reading stuff about Pantera they are one of my fav's peace

I'm not calling you a liar just saying i don't recall ever reading about Queen as an influence....I forgot Black Sabbath as being a main influence on Pantera too Tongue

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: