Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 04:21:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  15th anniversary of Use Your Illusions
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: 15th anniversary of Use Your Illusions  (Read 6556 times)
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« on: September 16, 2006, 08:37:00 AM »

The Use Your Illusions were released 16th and 17 September 1991, depending where you live. So today and tomorrow are the 15th anniversary of their release. What a coincidence the NA tour starts today. Appropriate time for a CD release date, I would have thought. Grin

But the purpose of this thread is to discuss their relevance. Personally I prefer both albums to Appetite. While not as consistent, they individually have more classics than AFD, and I listen too them way more often. But for some reason, critics hate these albums. I basically think a hatred of these albums is synonymous with hating Axl Rose. They hated him before the albums were released and Get In The Ring didn't help his cause. The reason I think this, is, if you look at the most common review that circulates, on sites such as Amazon, it praises You Ain't The First as one of the best songs on I, and So Fine as one of the best songs on II. Now, everyone here knows they are two of the weakest songs on the albums. But look who wrote them, Izzy and Duff, nothing to do with Axl. It's as if the critics just looked at the songwriting credits, praised everything not written by Axl and critisized everything where he had credit. They also just looked at the length of the songs. I read one review claiming all the epics were the same and had similar structure. What the fuck? They also claim he was trying to be Freddie Mercury or Elton John. Why, coz he plays piano? He may have been influenced by those two, but what's wrong with that. November Rain and Estranged are two of my favourite songs ever written, and much better than anything by those two artists, including Bohemian Rhapsody. Breakdown is amazing too. The incredible Coma rarely gets much of a mention in critics reviews of GnR or the albums. Critics are usually forced to admit November Rain is an instant classic, but Estranged was one of the worst Metal songs ever on Vh1. Says it all, really. I've always kind of thought Estranged symbolises the two albums. If you like that song, you'll like the albums, otherwise you probably hate them.

Two other common complaints about the albums is the endless amount of filler and that they should have been combined together. While one album would have been amazing, look at the amount of great songs that would have been left out. Inexcusable. I also don't agree it has much filler. All the songs are worthwhile to some degree. Possibly, My World, Don't Cry alt lyrics, So Fine, Shotgun Blues, You Ain' The First, could have been left as bsides. And you could argue there should be no cover versions. But that still leaves over 20 brilliant, timeless tracks. There are over a dozen tracks which at one point or another were up there with my favourite tracks of all time, and easily rival Appetite. Even the very weakest tracks I liked at some point.

Individually the band members are at their peak. Axl's amazing epics and ballads, Stradlin's rock n' roll tunes, and Slash's amazing guitar solos. In terms of soloing, nobody comes close to as good as Slash was on these albums. Every solo is different and his sense of structure and emotion is amazing.

They never get close to best album ever lists. When casual fans think of GnR, they always talk about Appetite. Indeed I once saw a selection of the worst albums ever list. They didn't make it, but there was a section, not as bad as you think, where they listed some heavily critizised albums that didn't make the list. The UYI's were there and the guy defended saying they summed up one man's vision. But how anyone could consider putting them on that list is beyond me. They are my two favorite albums of all time, and I just about prefer II, and my favourite track is in my username.

I think a lot of the critisism at the time was for five reasons: most people expected a remake of Appetite; a hatred of Axl; the sometimes corny videos which accompanied the singles; the grand scale of the releases and the tour; Nevermind being released a week later. I think now is a time for these albums to be re-evaluated as the classics they were.

Thoughts?

slashisvr
D.T.U.D.
VIP

A Rock N' Roll bash where everybody's smashed

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 12:06:57 PM »

umm, i do listen to illusions more i must admit, they offer much more varity and changes than AFD, as AFD was a diffrent album altogether IMO, it was all out rock where as UYI was more complex, alot more styles in the same albums, but even though i listen to Illusions alot more i still prefer AFD. ok

Hammersmith - london 7th june G N' F' R
NEC - Birmingham 25th july G N' F' R
randy marsh
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 02:50:13 PM »

both records are absolutely amazing! Smiley i agree with you that there isn't much of filler songs on the albums and that coma is one helluva great song and that my world is awful.. probably the worst song gnr ever recorder but imo so fine and you ain't the first are great songs.. Tongue

I wanted the best.. well they didn't fuckin' make it.. so here's what I get:

-----
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 03:00:29 PM »

critics hate this albums besause you have 4-5 Axl geniuos songs there,for me couple the best rock songs ever

I have never seen so many tree
King Sand
Patron Saint of Dust N' Bones
Rocker

... And there was nothing left but a grain of Sand

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 03:24:15 PM »

critics hate this albums besause you have 4-5 Axl geniuos songs there,for me couple the best rock songs ever
They do?  I remember these albums being a critical success (from a strickly music critic standpoint, not VH1 poll stuff)... Rolling Stone gave UYI II 4 and a half stars...  I don't remember any negativity about quality of music of the albums; mostly the negativity came from the tour, the antics of Axl, and lyrical controversies...  Yeah, there was the Get in the Ring outcry, but that issue wasn't brought up by music reviewers (atleast I don't remember it that way)...  The biggest negative critics of the albums were angry parents, and non-musican spinsters...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 03:31:19 PM by King Sand » Logged

"Strange travel plans are dancing lessons from God." - Kurt Vonnegut
Anguro
Headliner

... I never find anyone to replace you....

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 03:56:06 PM »

.... well, as everyybody would say, two fuckin' great albums... 15 years and I haven't been tired of listening to them...... I remember that before they were released, Axl said that he wanted to kill AFD with these cd's..... he definetly made it.... AFD is one hell of a record... great!!!..... and so are UYI I&II.....!!! so.... both Gn'R.... both different... both magnificent!!... that's what I expect now from Chinese Democracy..... different, but also magnificent..........

roadapples
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 04:02:37 PM »

I am trying to think where I was in September '91.? Hmmm....

« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 12:11:28 AM by roadapples » Logged
chinesedemocracy05
Banned
Rocker

SPRECHMAN!

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 04:04:13 PM »

estrangedpaul im pretty sure that was the post ive been trying to think of forever. The illusion albums are fantastic, i listen to them way more then appetite, even though i absolutely love appetite for destruction.

I totally agree that they only get a bad rap because everyone hates axl rose, it just sucks. The albums were so genious. Axl really wrote some amazing stuff, and put everything he had into those songs.

And as for filler, there really isnt much at all. Id say My world, shotgun blues, and get in the ring are the only real filler tracks and i still like them.

Use your illusions are just amazing.

They just thought Id know better. Better.
roadapples
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 04:21:42 PM »

I am trying to think where I was in September '91.? Hmmm....

I think it's all coming back...? I had a Dating Service?? Then broke up with a boyfriend?? Moved to Quebec with my folks for awhile??

Interesting how music puts you in place with your life line!

Anyway,? Happy Anniversary UYI 1/2.? It has made me open my eyes to better things to come in my life and hope for everyone too.

I wanted to add that I also realize all the hard work that has gone into putting this music out to the public (seeing I missed it all back then).  I have nothing but a tremendous amout of respect for the songs and for Axl.

Wish I could of been around in the day?  I am glad I have a chance to appreciate the time spent and music now.  I guess I am a true fan of GnR mission.

(I think I found out what surpentine means)
GeraldFord
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 04:58:46 PM »

1992 Rolling Stone album guide

Use Your Illusion I- 4 stars (of 5)
Use Your Illusion II-4.5 stars (of 5)

2004 Rolling Stone album guide

Use Your Illusion I- 5 stars (of 5)
Use Your Illusion II- 4 stars (of 5)
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 04:59:22 PM »

Yeah... I don't really think critics "hate" the Illusions... they just don't like them as much as the AFD/Lies albums- which for better or worse, represented a more coherent, consistent, hungry, aggressive GN'R era. ?I think GN'R gets sufficient credit for the Illusions in the sense they took some musical risks and for have succeeded in pulling off a few art rock masterpieces. It's just that AFD was more of a direct kick to the groin of pop music and the entire industry- and it's those kind of "moments" (Elvis, Beatles, AFD era GN'R, Nirvana) that attract critics' adulation forever.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
GeraldFord
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 05:01:32 PM »

I think that in a few years, long after the release of CD, people will start giving the UYI albums greater props, by guess is in five years, 20 years after the fact, more people will come to see them as classics.
GeraldFord
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 05:19:07 PM »

Cool reviews from amazon, all five stars:

Review One-UYI1

It's been 10 years since I pulled out my GNR CDs and seriously listened to them. In high school, I loved Use Your Illusion II and my friend and I would debate which was better: Civil War or Estranged. A stupid kid who tried to be a bully and a friend at the same time came up to me one day and started reciting the last monologue in Coma, possibly to impress me. Surprised was he to find this dork singing right along with him!

10 Years After, and awakened by the real world and how accursed it all is, I've come to find the Use Your Illusion albums more than enjoyable tunes to memorize. These songs have angst, anger, and a sort of jaded "experienced life" maturity to it that I find reminiscent of my current days.

Use Your Illusion I has come to my aid and I've found myself listening to this record more and more. I've also realized that this record is Izzy's show. He pens eight of the sixteen tracks here (excluding most lyrics). From the darkest piano chord that opens Dust N Bones to the bizarre but awesome Double Talkin' Jive, Izzy's contributions on this record are vast.

Rose's piano charms even the hardest rocking of songs, and his wordsmithing is both prolific and profound. Even if I loathed GNR, I'd have to admit Axl can express himself better than most. Besides Dead Horse, his only solo composition is November Rain, a song I used to idly listen to. It, along with UYI II's Estranged, is a work of genius. I can easily imagine Rose sitting at a piano, a drink on the music desk, creating the song; November Rain (as with most of these tracks) is best appreciated with good headphones.

Where I used to skip over many of the tracks, today I listen to this album straight through. Although I don't consider the UYI albums concept in any form, UYI I feels faster, edgier, and more experimental of the two.

To be quite honest, I never even knew people considered songs "filler" until coming here. So the idea really means nothing to me. These people worked hard on each song, and the result is an album unrivaled by anything released today.

Review 2- UYI1

The consensus among most critics and the general public is that both "Use Your Illusion" albums contain a lot of filler. It has often been said that a single album, with the best of both volumes, would have been better than two separate albums. Although this is the general consensus among Joe Public, the hard-core Guns N' Roses fans know better.

In my opinion, the Illusion albums have very little filler. It would also be hard to have a single album with songs from each disc, as each Illusion album is its own entity. The Illusion set is not a single album with two separate discs. Both volumes are albums in their own right, with a different tone, vibe, and feeling. The colors on the album covers represent the atmosphere of the albums. "Use Your Illusion I" is brighter, more up-beat, glossier. "Use Your Illusion II" is more reflective, and overall darker.

Between both volumes, there is over two and a half hours of music. Both volumes need to be nursed and savored. The listener needs time to let it all sink in. Some of these songs are fast paced rockers in the vein of "Appetite For Destruction." Other songs are longer, up to ten minutes in length, with intricate solos and complex arrangements, in short, art-rock.

With an album like "Appetite For Destruction" under their belt, any follow-up would be criticized. But much had changed for GN'R since they hit it big. They were now multi-millionaires and no longer living in poverty in cheap apartments in L.A. Also, the lineup of the band had changed. Drummer Steven Adler was fired, and replaced by Matt Sorum. Sorum's drumming was slicker, more technically proficient. Also added to the lineup was keyboardist Dizzy Reed. The new GN'R was more polished, less rough-around-the-edges than they had been in the days of AFD.

GN'R branched out artistically for their follow-up, and naturally received a lot of criticism. Common complaints are--the band went soft, too much filler, to arty, etc.

To address these criticisms: (1) The band did not go soft. There are ballads, but there are also a lot of rockers. A lot of the singles were the ballads, so someone unfamiliar with these albums might conclude that the band went soft by listening to the radio/MTV and conclude that these songs (Don't Cry, November Rain) represent the album, when in fact, they do not. (2) As for there being too much filler, that is a matter of opinion. I happen to think that each song ranges from very good-to classic. A lot of GN'R's very best songs are buried in the set. Because there is so much music, a lot of the songs remain unknown to the general public and are therefore considered "filler." (3)A lot of these songs are art-rock. They are often long in length and are not instantly assessable-and are therefore dismissed. A lot of these songs are quite intricate and take time to fully appreciate.

"Use Your Illusion I" has a very glossy feel. It is somewhat overproduced, but for me, as someone who has been listening to it for almost 15 years, that's just part of the album's charm. I tend to look at the first volume as "the Izzy album," and the second volume as "the Axl album." I do this because Izzy's signature Stones/Faces influence is more prevalent on volume I, and Axl's artistic muscle is stretched more on the second volume, although there is an overlap and each made great contributions to the other.

Sorum and bassist Duff McKagan provide a killer rhythm section. Slash's playing, of course, goes without saying, is absolutely incredible. Each song has at least one or two screeching, ear-crunching, kick-ass, yet melodic solos. And Axl Rose shows why he is one of the most memorable, charismatic figures in rock. And some of Izzy Stradlin's best songs are found on "Use Your Illusion I."

The first volume starts out rocking hard with the AFD style "Right Next Door to Hell." This song doesn't have quite the furry of AFD, but it's still a good song nonetheless and a good way to start off the album. Izzy Stradlin's mid-tempo "Dust N' Bones" is a very Stones-ey song and is quite underrated. Slash's solo in it absolutely rips. Paul McCartney's "Live and Let Die" is a very cool cover and stays pretty true to the original, while giving it a little more of an edge. "Don't Cry," the first song ever written in Guns N' Roses, is a beautiful balled, although the 30 second ending is a bit over-the-top. "Perfect Crime" is another great rocker, in the vein of AFD, and is another highly underrated song. Izzy Stradlin's sleepy, "You Ain't the First" is the only song I would consider to be filler. It's not bad, but it just slows down the momentum a bit. The rock-a-billy "Bad Obsession" is GN'R paying homage to Southern Rock. "Back off Bitch" musically is excellent, although the lyrics are stupid and juvenile, and didn't help GN'R's image as being misogynist. Stradlin's fast paced "Double Talkin' Jive" has a catchy, almost sinister riff and features one of Slash's best solos. Rose's Elton John inspired masterpiece "November Rain" follows next. This remains one of GN'R's most beloved songs to date.

A lot of Guns N' Roses best songs are found on the second half of "Use Your Illusion I." Unfortunately, because of the album's length, they just sort of got buried. "The Garden" is a really trippy, psychedelic duet with Alice Cooper." "Garden of Eden" is an excellent very fast paced hard-rocker. "Don't Damn Me" features some of Rose's best, most soul searching lyrics. "Bad Apples" is another hard rocker and features one of Slash's best solos. "Dead Horse" is one of the album's highlights. Rose best, most personal lyrics are found right here. The closing epic "Coma," along with "November Rain" is the album's highlight. It simply shows Axl Rose and Slash at their best. The song is just a monster, pure and simple. Axl Rose's 30+ second delivery at the end over Slash's playing is one of the most powerful, vital, ingenious moments in rock.

I bought "Use Your Illusion I" when I was 13 years old, and now, at 26, it remains one of my most favorite albums of all time. If you are looking for an AFD part two, you will be disappointed. If you are looking for instant gratification, go buy a Blink 182 album. If you want a masterpiece that has songs that are instantly addictive as well as songs that take time to appreciate, buy "Use Your Illusion I."
GeraldFord
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 05:22:26 PM »

UYI 2- review 1

Easily tied with some other albums for "Greatest of All Time", "Use Your Illusion II" is the one review I kept putting off, not thinking I could ever be in the proper state of mind to give this piece of music the justice and worship that words can never express. Well, I've obviously started typing, so let's see what happens...
(Oh first of all let's get the "Appetite" and "My World" issues out of the way; yes, Appetite is wonderful and there's no reason to let any sort of comparison between these two albums impede the immense praise that is deserved by both. And yes, "My World" is an example of "WTF, Axl?Huh?". HOWEVER, you have over 70 of the most well spent minutes of your entire existence to experience from this album before the final two minutes, so how DARE anyone let "My World" affect the reaction towards "Use Your Illusion II.")

Ok here we go. This album is epic (did I mention that?). When you are down and out, ready to give up, think all hope has gone, etc., etc..... you do NOT go to Nirvana. you do NOT go to Britney Spears. No, my friends (and enemies), you go to this album, track 11. There you will find the reason music exists. Heart and soul, blood and guts, tears, catharsis, anger, rage, emotion of the highest form, a purging of all of your demons: THAT is what will be injected into your veins when you listen to one of the greatest songs ever, "Estranged." Unfortunately, songs like this were a major reason for the sad (and painfully slow) breaking of the fellowship that was known as the mighty original Guns. Axl was (and is) a control freak that dictatorially directed how the music was going to be. His grand schemes exhausted and frustrated his cohorts, who felt they were losing their voices in the band. As tragic as the break has been, I will offer up the condolences that if an album's creation pays that very highest price that can be paid (short of death), atleast the album created is "Use Your Illusion II", and atleast it contains the song "Estranged."

If you liked Guns N Roses after 1993 (such as I did), you were CRUCIFIED by the public. There's a lot of moral wrongs in society, and I'm not going to start comparing Nirvana fans to terrorists, but I will say that the nineties gave us blatant evidence as to why not enough people are open-minded and think for themselves. The music of Guns N Roses - the very music that was irrationally chastised for being mindless, talentless and overblown - is some of the most gut-wrenching, fist-clenching, serious and thought-provoking music out there. Just LISTEN to what Axl's actually ranting about. Just FEEL what Slash's Les Paul is really doing to your soul. It all comes together with this album. I love the Beethoven 9th as much as the next guy, but the grand finale to "Estranged" is the most emotional music I've ever heard. It may be from a rock band, but the point is, it's from THIS rock band. Learning "Estranged" on piano is what made me what I am today - instead of quitting piano, I majored in it. Instead of laying down to die in front of the door of the past decade of musical B.S., I vowed to go to my grave defending the music that really reaches out to people, trendy or not.

More than the already unsurpassable amount of blessing must be given to the fact that this is not an album with just one sound. Guns pulled off the project of pure human emotion with diversity! "Estranged" itself winds around into different keys, with different themes, and different moods. A real journey of body and mind. But just about every other song is of the same ilk. "14 Years" was just as influential on me, schooling me on some serious blues rock. I've never felt more conviction from any band's live performance than from the studio recording of this song! The entire band really seems to be letting off some serious steam in this one, so make sure you let it get into your blood! And speaking of letting off some steam, how about "Get in the Ring?" This is THE quintessential anger song. While a simple punk band can only really ever deal with anger in one dimension, Axl and co. really let you into a web of emotional complexity with their ability to actually PLAY their instruments (sorry, some of you might not know what that is). Granted, some of the lyrics are more blatant than a sledgehammer ("When you're talking 'bout a vasectomy..." ), but these lines are always offset by more crafty, if intense, ones ("I sense a smell of retribution in the air"). It should be noted that if you're one to be offended at times, the skip button was invented for the song "Get In The Ring". Everyone else... rock on!

100 paragraphs each also go to "Civil War," "Breakdown," and "Locomotive," (not to mention the epic-ifying of a pretty basic Dylan tune, "Knockin' On Heaven's Door," and the alternate [better] lyrics for "Don't Cry," and don't forget Arnold ["You Could Be Mine"]!!!)...but I've made my point and Amazon only allows 1000 words. Just imagine "Estranged" done 10 times over and you've got the album...the MASTERPIECE.

Bottom line about the timelessness to these wonderful songs, this album is FRESH. While some bands' music does sound dated and stale, nomatter how many times I start up "Civil War," I feel myself taken to a new dimension. The songwriting, playing, band-chemistry, recording, mixing, timing.... it all comes together on this album better than just about any other. If you are in need of therapy, and/or if you like rock music, and/or if you are human, "Use Your Illusion II" is the all-purpose pinnacle.

If you find these opinions to resemble your own, you are highly encouraged to email!
GeraldFord
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2006, 05:23:36 PM »

UYI2, review 2

The Use Your Illusion albums were perhaps the most widely anticipated albums, EVER! Hundreds of thousands of fans waited at record stores until midnight so that they could get the album right when it was released. And while most people were expecting more Appetite for Destruction, the new, more sophisticated sound that appeared on the albums kept most fans happy. While Appetite was dominated by Izzy Stradlin and Slash's double guitar attack, this albums had a different sound. Slash had great solos on 80% of the songs and Axl's piano playing added a new sound to the dirty punk-influenced rockers. Izzy Stradlin also emerged as not only a great guitar player, but an extremely talented songwriter.
1. Civil War 10/10- A great song that has comments from little known revolutionaries and also a quote from "Cool Hand Luke." These tie in perfectly with the song. Sounds like an anti-Vietnam song, so it's hard to take it seriously since Axl wasn't even a teenager when the war was going on, but it is so good. Axl sounds great on vocals, and so does Slash with the wah-wah pedal. A masterpiece.
2. 14 Years 10/10- Similar sounding to Dust N' Bones, they are also both written and sang by Izzy, who sounds great. It is too bad they didn't keep to this sound: heavy guitars and Izzy's vocals, balanced by Axl's piano and harmonies. It's a shame that when Izzy released his solo stuff that he did not use this sound instead of that Stonesy road music similar to John Fogarty.
3. Yesterdays 7/10- Thought of by many as a great song, but comes off as sappy aand phony. Released as a single, but didn't do anything thanks to Nirvana. Still has a good guitar solo.
4. Knockin' On Heaven's Door 8/10- Definitely the better of their covers (the other one being "Live and Let Die"), kinda sounds different than what Bob Dylan was aiming for when he wrote it and probably has him jumping in his grave (no wait, he's still alive). Still is pretty good, but Slash should have done a better solo.
5. Get In the Ring 5/10 Basically a platform to call out (by name!) the people who wrote bad stuff about Guns N Roses, is still pretty good and Axl bring up a good point on how the music industry screws us hard-working Americans over.
6. Shotgun Blues 2/10- Terrible song that has nothing good about it. Way too much profanity and one of the only true filler songs on the album.
7. Breakdown 8/10- A different sound for Guns N Roses where Slash plays a major part in the entire song instead of just taking the spotlight in the solos. A quote from the film "Vanishing Point" is unnecessary and keeps this from a ten.
8. Pretty Tied Up 10/10- Sounds pretty cool with the sitar in the beginning. A great guitar solo by Slash and hard rocking guitar riffs by Izzy as well as good bass by Duff make this song worthwhile.
9. Locomotive 6/10- The first two minutes are great, but the weird chorus and lack of a good Slash solo keep this from being a good song.
10. So Fine 10/10- Written and sang by Duff, who sounds great. Why didn't he write more songs in GNR? Slower, with good piano and guitars. Written for and dedicated to Johnny Thunders.
11. Estranged 10/10- One of the greatest songs ever written. Is really a two part song. The first half (should be called something like "Illusions") goes on for four minutes and is made spectacular by Slash's guitar (you will know what I mean when you listen to it). The second half (should be called "Estranged") sounds great too with a great guitar solo by Slash. A moving song grabs your heart and doesn't let go until it is over; 9:23 later. Slash and Izzy together sound great, but Slash proves that he is one of the greatest guitarists of all time. Axl proves he is a great songwriter and sounds great on piano. A true masterpiece. This alone gives the album five stars.
12. You Could Be Mine 10/10- The big hit off the album and the only real heavy metal song, is often overlooked even though it is the second highest selling Guns N Roses song; it just never received any airplay for some reason. It starts out great with pounding blues-driven guitars, and has a raw blues power that is non-existant in today's music. I did not truly aprreciate this song until I saw Slash doing the guitar solo for this on the Use Your Illusion II tour DVD and it is truely amazing the way he does those 16th notes.
13. Don't Cry (alt. version) 9/10- Unnecessary, but still sounds good, basically is the same melody as the original, but with different lyrics. It would have been great if Guns N' Roses had combined the two versions together for a November Rain-like ballad.
14. My World 0/10- Awful, either filler or something else that did not work. Rap sounding, is no good and unacceptable.
Besides a craptacular ending, this is really good and a must own for any music fan. Had they put more time into the album and taken out "Shotgun Blues," "Locomotive," and "My World," this could have been even better than Appetite for Destruction, but if they had waited longer, maybe no one would have cared since everyone was listening to Kurt Cobain whine in "Nevermind." It is too bad that controversy tore them apart, because anyone can tell after listening to the other projects done by GNR bandmembers that aren't named Axl (such as Slash's Snakepit and Velvet Revolver) that they still have great music left in them.

estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 06:41:28 PM »

That's good to see and surprising. I've never seen them albums get much praise anywhere else. They never make it onto best album ever lists or the like. The amazon reviews you posted are fan reviews so they don't count. We all know fans love them.

Here is an example of a critics review which circulates on many official music sites across the net.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:lzapqj7bojda
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:oq6tk6hx9krk

"Use Your Illusion is a shining example of a suddenly successful band getting it all wrong and letting its ambitions run wild. "

"Still, it can be a chore to find the highlights on the record amid the overblown production and endless amounts of filler."

Well, this is one review, but generally the Use Your Illusions are ignored when people talk about the impact of GnR.

slash666
On The Edge Of Seventeen
Legend

The REAL Champ Is Here!

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2006, 07:53:50 PM »

Happy Birthday Use Your Illusion's Happy Birthday To You  hihi

The Squared Circle

Join The Revolution!
GeraldFord
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2006, 11:04:41 PM »

That's good to see and surprising. I've never seen them albums get much praise anywhere else. They never make it onto best album ever lists or the like. The amazon reviews you posted are fan reviews so they don't count. We all know fans love them.

Here is an example of a critics review which circulates on many official music sites across the net.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:lzapqj7bojda
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:oq6tk6hx9krk

"Use Your Illusion is a shining example of a suddenly successful band getting it all wrong and letting its ambitions run wild. "

"Still, it can be a chore to find the highlights on the record amid the overblown production and endless amounts of filler."

Well, this is one review, but generally the Use Your Illusions are ignored when people talk about the impact of GnR.

The guy who wrote the allmusic review is Stephen Thomas Elpawine, and he is the biggest douche-bag? to ever grace the music community. The ONLY reason he has a job at the AMG is because his uncle runs it. But he is indeed a pretentious twat.

Btw, the AMG have each UYI 4.5 stars, which is kinda odd.
GeraldFord
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2006, 11:20:00 PM »

I would love to punch Stephen Thomas Elpawine in the face.
BluesGNR
The Liberator
Legend

Here Today... Out for Lunch

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2006, 12:39:28 AM »

A band getting it wrong?

How does a pair of albums holding the #1 and #2 spot on the charts constitute wrongfulness??

You'll Find Your Inspiration GN'F'nR

2002: 12.6&8
2006: 5.12&14&15&17 11.5&10&13&24
2011: 11.15 12.10
2012: 2.19&24 11.17
2014: 5.13&28&30
2016: 4.1&8&9 6.23 7.1&3. 8.9&12
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: