Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 07:10:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Fire this Weiland guy and call Izzy!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fire this Weiland guy and call Izzy!  (Read 11202 times)
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 04:01:02 PM »

Weiland aint that bad really

thats true, but I guess what people are trying to say, is they'd prefer izzy and duff

I'm not one of them.  Although Weiland isn't on my list of favorite front men, I'd take him over Izzy and Duff any day of the week...
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006, 05:54:16 PM »

Weiland aint that bad really

thats true, but I guess what people are trying to say, is they'd prefer izzy and duff

I'm not one of them.  Although Weiland isn't on my list of favorite front men, I'd take him over Izzy and Duff any day of the week...

really? and specific reason?
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2006, 06:22:39 PM »

Why he isn't one of my favorite frontmen, or why I'd take him over Izzy or Duff?

If it's the first:

It's all subjective, I know, but to me, Weiland has rarely achieved his own sound and indentity that would really set him apart from other well-known/legandary frontmen.? When STP first came out, the Pearl Jam/AIC knock-off comparisons were flying all over the place, and - truth be told - I agreed with them.? Not to say I didn't like STP - I really did, especially on the later albums - but I thought their initial sound was very derivative, just like many other bands of that time.

Solo stuff aside, what has he done post-STP?? Joined a band that is essentially Guns 'n Roses without Axl.? Big shoes to fill, and again, it's difficult for me not to make comparisons - (GnR without Axl singing?? No thanks)? I know that's not necessarily fair, but it's how I feel...given how subjective music can be, I'm not sure there's much I can do about it (just like I can't listen to Muse at all, given how much they sound like Radiohead to me).

I also recently saw a VR concert that was recorded in 2005...they were playing in Texas.? I dug Weiland's moves and stage presence and appreciated his vocal abilities, but overall, I thought the songs just didn't match the caliber of talent VR has.? I loved it when they played STP songs, but it didn't seem right seeing Axl and Duff play them.? Same thing when they covered GnR...just not the same.

I'm hoping that Libertad (did I spell that correctly?) shows an evolved VR that is more comfortable in its own skin, allows the band to really flex their muscles, and find their own identity musically.? Then again, it could be the problem lies totally with me not being able to get past the GnR/STP comparisons...?

If it's the second, Weiland is a solid singer with great stage presence and a much better range than either Izzy or Duff - again - more engaging and entertaining to watch as well.? Again, just my opinion? peace
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 06:31:26 PM by bazgnr » Logged
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2006, 06:44:36 PM »

yeah, i was asking about the second one, and that is the reason i thought the idea was crazy at first, Izzy and  Duff probably couldn't front a band as effectively as Scott.
luciano
Banned
Rocker

Axl-Izzy-Slash-Duff-Steven!

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2006, 07:39:18 PM »

So your saying pleasing the audience isnt important? ooooook then

It is impossible not to please the audience when you have Izzy, Duff and Slash on the same band sharing the stage. You don't need no pyro, you don't need no 20 additional musicians, and you don't need a tormented lead singer to please an audience. Great rock n' roll can please a lot of people.

If they ever get together again I'd like to see them record and play original material. (...) I love Izzy's solo stuff... (...) Put him in a room with Slash and Duff you'd get incredible music too, no going wrong there. Cool It would be interesting to hear the Slash/Izzy combo and sound again after all these years.. damn I hope Izzy will release some of that stuff one day.

Same here!!!!

Maybe Slash will when he'll release his all-guests solo album after VR, he recorded some stuff with Izzy for it too.

Is there a Slash solo album on the making? I have never heard anything about it!

Luciano

bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2006, 08:43:37 PM »

yeah, i was asking about the second one, and that is the reason i thought the idea was crazy at first, Izzy and? Duff probably couldn't front a band as effectively as Scott.

Oops.  Ignore my long-winded answer to the first part, then.     peace
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2006, 11:39:43 PM »

Weiland is a tool. Billy Idol would've been better.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2006, 12:56:02 PM »

I can't see Izzy/Slash/Duff/drummer play GN'R songs without Axl, and if they'll ever get together and play again I'm sure they won't with maybe an exception for Brownstone or Used To Love Her etc.

I seem to recall seeing video of VR doing "It's So Easy" at some point.  Here's a few I dug up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGlDrviPSYg
---Band sounds good.  Scott can't do the vocals, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSTEmoFYg3Q
---This one appears proshot, with good sound.  The band sounds tight...but Scott cannot pull off the vocals.  He doesn't even try for most of the high parts.  It's understandable, as in this vid, he's clearly confused as to whether he's Scott Weiland, Axl Rose, or Rob Halford.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Igcp636odM
---Nothing special about this one except he replaces "I see you standing there, you think you're so cool, why don't you just fuck off" with "I see you standing there, in an Axl Rose t shirt, why don't you just fuck off"...which raises another point.

Does it seem to anyone else that a decent amount of the animosity between Axl and the VR guys seems stirred up by Scott?  Why doesn't HE just fuck off, and get his nose out of GNR business?  I don't see the new GNR guys talking shit about Slash (despite the fact that they have to deal with MUCH more shit from the crowd, etc., in terms of "we want slash" chants). 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Stonerose
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2007, 02:38:40 AM »

I just cant bring myself to like velvet revolver, no matter how hard i try and it kills me coz i love slash and duff.
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2007, 03:47:42 PM »

I just cant bring myself to like velvet revolver, no matter how hard i try and it kills me coz i love slash and duff.

Don't feel bad. I tried hard to like it too. And I was also a Stone Temple Pilots fan.  Sad

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2007, 03:51:43 PM »

Don't feel bad. I tried hard to like it too. And I was also a Stone Temple Pilots fan.  Sad

I'm ok with it.  It's not the best thing I've heard, but it beats most of the crap MTV pushes at us by a long shot.  Though, I'd like to see Slash really tear it up on their next album.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2007, 04:02:22 PM »

Don't feel bad. I tried hard to like it too. And I was also a Stone Temple Pilots fan.? Sad

I'm ok with it.? It's not the best thing I've heard, but it beats most of the crap MTV pushes at us by a long shot.? Though, I'd like to see Slash really tear it up on their next album.

Now that I definitely agree with. I'd rather listen to Slash & the boys with VR anyday of the week than that MTV crap.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2007, 06:51:06 AM »

Same here.  There's very little memorable or unique about Contraband, except for perhaps one or two tracks.  The songs sound very mediocre to me, and I would've expected far better from the talent VR has.  Maybe we'll see a different side on Libertad.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2007, 02:51:25 PM »

Same here.  There's very little memorable or unique about Contraband, except for perhaps one or two tracks.  The songs sound very mediocre to me, and I would've expected far better from the talent VR has.  Maybe we'll see a different side on Libertad.

Speaking of Libertad, and I have no idea if this has been discussed before, but does anyone think/know that the title of that upcoming album is meant as a mockery of GNR and/or Chinese Democracy?  Libertad translates as "freedom", democracy is associated with freedom...you see where I'm going.  Probably a stretch...

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2007, 03:07:36 PM »

Same here.? There's very little memorable or unique about Contraband, except for perhaps one or two tracks.? The songs sound very mediocre to me, and I would've expected far better from the talent VR has.? Maybe we'll see a different side on Libertad.

Speaking of Libertad, and I have no idea if this has been discussed before, but does anyone think/know that the title of that upcoming album is meant as a mockery of GNR and/or Chinese Democracy?? Libertad translates as "freedom", democracy is associated with freedom...you see where I'm going.? Probably a stretch...

no i dont think it is a stretch at all, just like the toyed with the idea of using hip hop producers, something they ridiculed
Axl for over 10 years ago when he brought it up
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2007, 03:47:46 PM »

Same here.? There's very little memorable or unique about Contraband, except for perhaps one or two tracks.? The songs sound very mediocre to me, and I would've expected far better from the talent VR has.? Maybe we'll see a different side on Libertad.

Speaking of Libertad, and I have no idea if this has been discussed before, but does anyone think/know that the title of that upcoming album is meant as a mockery of GNR and/or Chinese Democracy?? Libertad translates as "freedom", democracy is associated with freedom...you see where I'm going.? Probably a stretch...

no i dont think it is a stretch at all, just like the toyed with the idea of using hip hop producers, something they ridiculed

An excellent point.  I failed to realize that VR working with hip-hop producers directly goes against the problems/issues they had with Axl wanting to add new sounds to GnRs repertoire after UYI I & II.

Now all we need is for someone to say that this proves Slash & Co. are somehow extending the olive branch to Axl by doing this (admitting they were wrong back in the day), therefore making a reunion emminent...(heavy, heavy sarcasm).
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2007, 03:51:04 PM »

Speaking of Libertad, and I have no idea if this has been discussed before, but does anyone think/know that the title of that upcoming album is meant as a mockery of GNR and/or Chinese Democracy?  Libertad translates as "freedom", democracy is associated with freedom...you see where I'm going.  Probably a stretch...

An excellent point.  I failed to realize that VR working with hip-hop producers directly goes against the problems/issues they had with Axl wanting to add new sounds to GnRs repertoire after UYI I & II.

Now all we need is for someone to say that this proves Slash & Co. are somehow extending the olive branch to Axl by doing this (admitting they were wrong back in the day), therefore making a reunion emminent...(heavy, heavy sarcasm).

Slash & Co. are extending the olive branch!  Reunion is imminent! 

There...I said it!  Doesn't make it true, though.  I need a beer.  beer

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2007, 03:57:40 PM »

Hey, it had to be said.  I'm just glad it wasn't me that said it.

Good idea about that beer, by the way...    beer
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2007, 05:59:14 PM »

An excellent point.? I failed to realize that VR working with hip-hop producers directly goes against the problems/issues they had with Axl wanting to add new sounds to GnRs repertoire after UYI I & II.

Well see, that's the problem. Axl needs them to admit they were completely wrong, and Slash needs Axl to admit he was completely wrong, and they're no where close to that.

When they get 'broke' enough, they'll put their guns down.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2007, 06:14:26 PM »

An excellent point.? I failed to realize that VR working with hip-hop producers directly goes against the problems/issues they had with Axl wanting to add new sounds to GnRs repertoire after UYI I & II.

Well see, that's the problem. Axl needs them to admit they were completely wrong, and Slash needs Axl to admit he was completely wrong, and they're no where close to that.

When they get 'broke' enough, they'll put their guns down.

No pun intended, right?    hihi
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: