Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 01:12:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR should use a NIN-type approach to album promotion (MGMT. READ)
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR should use a NIN-type approach to album promotion (MGMT. READ)  (Read 4591 times)
nonlinear
VIP

« on: February 14, 2007, 11:00:15 PM »

promotion for the new NIN album "Year Zero" started last week.  it began with a simple site (http://yearzero.nin.com/) that didn't contain anything except for links to some studio pics.  There was even a GNR reference on this site, which was discovered by reading the source code and adding up the numbers of the jpg files to find pages containing images called "albumcover.jpg" and "chinesedemocracy.jpg"  I just tried to find these pages and they seem to have been removed.

Late last week, a few of the songs from the track listing began to appear.  By the end of the weekend, the entire track listing had been posted.

Then, today I was reading in another thread on HTGTH that a new NIN track had "leaked" and that there were a series of wesites and virtual reality (?) games that were related to the album and which required solving riddles/puzzles, etc.  On the Year Zero site, the track that leaked has been obscured by some art, so it is apparent that the track was "leaked" by management.

Then I went onto a NIN forum that I frequent, and there was a thread with 60 pages devoted to the track and the strange internet sites associated with it.  I didn't have time to read them (just wanted to download the track), however the trackapparently was found in a bathroom or something (?) and in the ID3 tag (i think( was a URL for http://anotherversionofthetruth.com/, and awesome and intriguing site (check it out and play around with clicking and stuff, and don't give up too early or you might miss it).  apparently this is just the beginning of this.

Anyhow, what does this have to do with GNR?  Well, I think that GNR should use some sort of similar promotion when the promo starts for CD.  It is esentially free advertising and it's tons of fun for the fans.  it would keep people on the internet, thinking about GNR, and constantly thinking about the cryptic things they are trying to solve.  Remember that site that darknemus has supposedly set up, with cryptic messages hidden in the source code and background, etc?  remember how much buzz that got?  most importantly, perhaps, the riddles end up being discussed at length on the forums.  Most of the articles we articles we see regarding CD seems to get their info from the forums.  THis would be a most excellent and cheap way to promote the album, and to get attention in media such as rolling stone, etc.

what do you guys think.

and please Jarmo, don't merge this with the other promo threads

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
Ron Jones
Headliner

Mr. Blue Sky

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 11:13:58 PM »

This is an excellent idea. Now only if we could reach him personally and tell him what a good idea it would be. I don't see any reason why anybody involved with the record company could see this as a bad idea.

Add me:

http://www.myspace.com/ronjones7

Fleet Center Boston, MA 12/2/02
Hammerstein Ballroom New York, NY 5/15/06
DCU Center Worcester, MA 11/8/06
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 11:32:51 PM »

yea, the thing is GNR management hasn't put much effort into the internet.  The internet is changing the music industry, and i don't think people have figured out yet what is possible in terms of promoting and distributing music.  the internet is going to be a key element, and they need to hire some young, radical marketing people as well as some great graphic design and web design.  This will also target markets about my age (28) and below, who are the biggest album buying and concert going demographic.  many of the younger kids  might see gnr as ld and outdated and a nostalga act.

If GNR wants to be seen as fresh, new, and cutting edge, they have to do something like this that is different and has never been done.  this could totally reinvent their image.  They better work hard and do well, because the bar is being set very, very high.  NIN crew is proving that it is major competition and they are playing the game much better than GNR is.  Also radiohead is recording a new album now set for release in summer.  I know a lot of you on here think radiohead sucks, and I agree they get virtually no radio or video play, and are NEVER in the media.  However, currently they are probablly the band with the biggest influence on current and future music, and I say this because they are respected almost as gods by basically any musician i've ever heard or seen or talked too, including indie rappers from Def Jux in NYC, to Axl rose himself. They have had a much bigger influence than nirvana, e.g. whose impoact is now gone.  Anyhow, Radiohead is currently unsigned (perhaps the largest unsigned act in the world) and they have talked about releasing the album in a totally new format over the web. given their history of experimenting with boundaries and in the process gaining the respect of their colleagues in the industry, i could see this as a major breakthrough which may set a new paradigm for music distribution (and circumventing major labels in the process).

If GNR wants to stay relevant and keep PUSHING THE BOUNDARIES like they were known for, they need to do something different like this.  They did a great job by "leaking" better, TWAT, and IRS, but they need to do more now.

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
bringbackadler
I don't know who's in the band
Banned
VIP

If you aint old school, kiss my ass

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 11:40:26 PM »

If GNR wants to stay relevant and keep PUSHING THE BOUNDARIES like they were known for, they need to do something different like this.? They did a great job by "leaking" better, TWAT, and IRS, but they need to do more now.

I personally enjoyed the "one Tuesday this year" approach that was being offered up by Mgmt last year.

/bringbackadler

"Adler's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference. His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked."? Izzy Stradlin
thesloth
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 11:52:15 PM »

One big diffrence is Trent understands the internet very well.  If you belong to the fan membership website The Spirel.  You can read his blog which is updated every few days.  And he does read the forms and shoots down stupid rumors that start.  On top of that he leaked the entire Closure DVD on bit torrent after the record label pulled the strings on releasing it. 
newgnr
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 11:54:02 PM »

promotion for the new NIN album "Year Zero" started last week.? it began with a simple site (http://yearzero.nin.com/) that didn't contain anything except for links to some studio pics.? There was even a GNR reference on this site, which was discovered by reading the source code and adding up the numbers of the jpg files to find pages containing images called "albumcover.jpg" and "chinesedemocracy.jpg"? I just tried to find these pages and they seem to have been removed.

Late last week, a few of the songs from the track listing began to appear.? By the end of the weekend, the entire track listing had been posted.

Then, today I was reading in another thread on HTGTH that a new NIN track had "leaked" and that there were a series of wesites and virtual reality (?) games that were related to the album and which required solving riddles/puzzles, etc.? On the Year Zero site, the track that leaked has been obscured by some art, so it is apparent that the track was "leaked" by management.

Then I went onto a NIN forum that I frequent, and there was a thread with 60 pages devoted to the track and the strange internet sites associated with it.? I didn't have time to read them (just wanted to download the track), however the trackapparently was found in a bathroom or something (?) and in the ID3 tag (i think( was a URL for http://anotherversionofthetruth.com/, and awesome and intriguing site (check it out and play around with clicking and stuff, and don't give up too early or you might miss it).? apparently this is just the beginning of this.

Anyhow, what does this have to do with GNR?? Well, I think that GNR should use some sort of similar promotion when the promo starts for CD.? It is esentially free advertising and it's tons of fun for the fans.? it would keep people on the internet, thinking about GNR, and constantly thinking about the cryptic things they are trying to solve.? Remember that site that darknemus has supposedly set up, with cryptic messages hidden in the source code and background, etc?? remember how much buzz that got?? most importantly, perhaps, the riddles end up being discussed at length on the forums.? Most of the articles we articles we see regarding CD seems to get their info from the forums.? THis would be a most excellent and cheap way to promote the album, and to get attention in media such as rolling stone, etc.

what do you guys think.

that sounds stupid. ?sounds like something a bunch of freak goth heads would enjoy. ?"riddles/virtual games?"

i know there were a bunch of riddles a few yrs ago for gnr (even it wasn't actually coming from gnr) and some of you ppl ate it up. ?but the HUGE MAJORITY of ppl will think it's insane. ?Promote it like ?a normal album!
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 12:00:30 AM »

promotion for the new NIN album "Year Zero" started last week.  it began with a simple site (http://yearzero.nin.com/) that didn't contain anything except for links to some studio pics.  There was even a GNR reference on this site, which was discovered by reading the source code and adding up the numbers of the jpg files to find pages containing images called "albumcover.jpg" and "chinesedemocracy.jpg"  I just tried to find these pages and they seem to have been removed.

Late last week, a few of the songs from the track listing began to appear.  By the end of the weekend, the entire track listing had been posted.

Then, today I was reading in another thread on HTGTH that a new NIN track had "leaked" and that there were a series of wesites and virtual reality (?) games that were related to the album and which required solving riddles/puzzles, etc.  On the Year Zero site, the track that leaked has been obscured by some art, so it is apparent that the track was "leaked" by management.

Then I went onto a NIN forum that I frequent, and there was a thread with 60 pages devoted to the track and the strange internet sites associated with it.  I didn't have time to read them (just wanted to download the track), however the trackapparently was found in a bathroom or something (?) and in the ID3 tag (i think( was a URL for http://anotherversionofthetruth.com/, and awesome and intriguing site (check it out and play around with clicking and stuff, and don't give up too early or you might miss it).  apparently this is just the beginning of this.

Anyhow, what does this have to do with GNR?  Well, I think that GNR should use some sort of similar promotion when the promo starts for CD.  It is esentially free advertising and it's tons of fun for the fans.  it would keep people on the internet, thinking about GNR, and constantly thinking about the cryptic things they are trying to solve.  Remember that site that darknemus has supposedly set up, with cryptic messages hidden in the source code and background, etc?  remember how much buzz that got?  most importantly, perhaps, the riddles end up being discussed at length on the forums.  Most of the articles we articles we see regarding CD seems to get their info from the forums.  THis would be a most excellent and cheap way to promote the album, and to get attention in media such as rolling stone, etc.

what do you guys think.

that sounds stupid.  sounds like something a bunch of freak goth heads would enjoy.  "riddles/virtual games?"

i know there were a bunch of riddles a few yrs ago for gnr (even it wasn't actually coming from gnr) and some of you ppl ate it up.  but the HUGE MAJORITY of ppl will think it's insane.  Promote it like  a normal album!

Agreed. I don't want some stupid riddle GNR shit. Most people wouldn't.

This is Guns N' Fucking Roses.. just promote it insanely and in a typical fashion.

gnrevolution.com
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 12:08:11 AM »

promotion for the new NIN album "Year Zero" started last week.? it began with a simple site (http://yearzero.nin.com/) that didn't contain anything except for links to some studio pics.? There was even a GNR reference on this site, which was discovered by reading the source code and adding up the numbers of the jpg files to find pages containing images called "albumcover.jpg" and "chinesedemocracy.jpg"? I just tried to find these pages and they seem to have been removed.

Late last week, a few of the songs from the track listing began to appear.? By the end of the weekend, the entire track listing had been posted.

Then, today I was reading in another thread on HTGTH that a new NIN track had "leaked" and that there were a series of wesites and virtual reality (?) games that were related to the album and which required solving riddles/puzzles, etc.? On the Year Zero site, the track that leaked has been obscured by some art, so it is apparent that the track was "leaked" by management.

Then I went onto a NIN forum that I frequent, and there was a thread with 60 pages devoted to the track and the strange internet sites associated with it.? I didn't have time to read them (just wanted to download the track), however the trackapparently was found in a bathroom or something (?) and in the ID3 tag (i think( was a URL for http://anotherversionofthetruth.com/, and awesome and intriguing site (check it out and play around with clicking and stuff, and don't give up too early or you might miss it).? apparently this is just the beginning of this.

Anyhow, what does this have to do with GNR?? Well, I think that GNR should use some sort of similar promotion when the promo starts for CD.? It is esentially free advertising and it's tons of fun for the fans.? it would keep people on the internet, thinking about GNR, and constantly thinking about the cryptic things they are trying to solve.? Remember that site that darknemus has supposedly set up, with cryptic messages hidden in the source code and background, etc?? remember how much buzz that got?? most importantly, perhaps, the riddles end up being discussed at length on the forums.? Most of the articles we articles we see regarding CD seems to get their info from the forums.? THis would be a most excellent and cheap way to promote the album, and to get attention in media such as rolling stone, etc.

what do you guys think.

that sounds stupid. ?sounds like something a bunch of freak goth heads would enjoy. ?"riddles/virtual games?"

i know there were a bunch of riddles a few yrs ago for gnr (even it wasn't actually coming from gnr) and some of you ppl ate it up. ?but the HUGE MAJORITY of ppl will think it's insane. ?Promote it like ?a normal album!

lol - because only goths like puzzles or anything intellectually stimulating...  Smiley

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
badintentions
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 12:13:03 AM »

that sounds stupid.  sounds like something a bunch of freak goth heads would enjoy.  "riddles/virtual games?"

hahaha.....way to sound like an ignorant redneck there buddy.
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 12:28:20 AM »

Smiley I just want to distance myself from the "stupid goth" comment rather quickly. And let Nonlinear know I didn't mean to come off as I did.

If GN'R chose to do that, I would support it wholeheartedly. MY personal opinion however is that they should just do normal promo.. but a lot of it.

Just letting you guys know my opinion.

-jack

gnrevolution.com
gangs_n_robbers
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 12:35:14 AM »

terrible idea. gnr want to fight the 'weird' label.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 12:36:31 AM »

I dont think such an outlandish kind of promotion could fit to Guns N' Roses.

Anyway, Im kinda desperated... I would be very happy with any kind of promotion. All I want is... promotion  confused

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
junglegunner
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 01:42:52 AM »

just like gnfr.com  rofl rofl peace
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 01:46:14 AM »

The NIN "promotion" is one of the most brilliantly realized multimedia concepts I've ever seen. And it'll only get better. Trent Reznor is a genius. That said, it's not for really anyone but him. Certainly not something GN'R should copycat.
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 01:49:13 AM »

The NIN "promotion" is one of the most brilliantly realized multimedia concepts I've ever seen. And it'll only get better. Trent Reznor is a genius. That said, it's not for really anyone but him. Certainly not something GN'R should copycat.

it's cool but it's not amazing, there are several campaigns like this a year.

but i have to disagree with the first post. GNR MUST NOT GET INTO viral marketing. it does not it the band. at all.

i would advise Axl to do something very sober. very sober.
mysterious if they want.
use that "most expensive album ever made" but nohting else.

von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 01:58:32 AM »

It's brilliance is in its relationship to the material, and how it doesn't just tie to the concept, it is the concept. It's something he flirted with on With Teeth and promised in the future. It's his attempt to grow his art fully into the digital age, something few if any other artists have embraced as much as an important reality. The deeper you go into his little rabbit hole, the more impressive this whole thing becomes. I've been enveloped in it every time I've sat at a computer today.
thesloth
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 02:27:14 AM »

Actually that is where the record labels have it all wrong.  Why in the world spend multi millions of dollars on a ad promo when there are so many free ways to advertise on the web that will reach a far greater audience. 

Sites like Youtube and Revver are becoming the revolution similar to myspace (although I can't stand myspace just due to the fact it is way to slow) Revver is an excellent model they pay you for your video based on ads clicked and views.  It basically works out to around 50 cents per 100 views.  Which is $500 per 100 thousand.  So if say 1 million people downloaded a new GnR video (as an example) they would make about $5000.  Now that may not seem like much , but wait they just got free advertising to 1 million people for free and made 5k in the process.  Not bad if you ask me. 
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 02:32:15 AM »

there is more than just "reachin people"
you have to be coherent with the brand image, take risks or not, coherent with your activity, want control or not, ROI ....

estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 02:41:16 AM »

I agree with the ''sober'' promotion.

GNR needs just a little promotion, but it must be misterious and shocking at the same time.

The promotion MUST be extremely clear stating that this band is ENTIRELY new, and must never use things from the past.

Big albums like this one is going to be DONT NEED an outlandish kind of promotion.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Jackamo!
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 08:24:30 AM »