Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 04:40:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227995 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  trilogy concept weakens cd?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: trilogy concept weakens cd?  (Read 5241 times)
whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« on: February 28, 2007, 05:29:10 AM »

as cool as the fact that axl wants to bring out 3 records seems to be, it also worries me a bit. because it could simply weaken chinese democracy. instead of assembling all the big guns on one record (like a beatles record) and reigning the rnr / music world again, cd could become not as strong as possible. therefor lots of songs that are killers might not ever be heard, for cd flops in the charts. if cd is successful though, it might take another decade till we hear all the finest stuff axl has produced over the past decade.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 05:31:23 AM by whiny » Logged

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 05:31:37 AM »

i agree, it could turn out exactly like illusions, if they took all the best songs from both those albums and put them on to one, it could have been the best album ever, no question!

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
BBF Rocks
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 05:33:00 AM »

we don't know how it will happen.
it's been years since axl talked about that.
and everyone who has heard CD says it's amazing.
i'm pretty sure axl has put together this CD very nicely over the past decade.

don't worry.
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 05:34:04 AM »

i agree, it could turn out exactly like illusions, if they took all the best songs from both those albums and put them on to one, it could have been the best album ever, no question!

yeah, but at least illusions were released at the same time!
i don't wanna be too pessimistic, but it's a thought (which i turned into a thread) i often have in my mind.

whiny
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 05:37:29 AM »

everyone who has heard CD says it's amazing.

unfortunately this doesn't mean too much; the same thing was said about vr; everybody in the industry is always wanting to let the public know, that the current project is the best, their artist has ever been working on...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 07:36:41 AM by whiny » Logged

BBF Rocks
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 07:28:34 AM »

wtf lol i didn't put my argument that way at all

i didn't say "everyone who has heard CD says it's amazing, don't worry"

stop putting words in my mouth and taking them out of context.

my main point was that axl knows what he is doing.
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 07:36:13 AM »

wtf lol i didn't put my argument that way at all

i didn't say "everyone who has heard CD says it's amazing, don't worry"

stop putting words in my mouth and taking them out of context.

my main point was that axl knows what he is doing.

sorry. just wanted to relate to one argument you gave. i'm now gonna delete the "don't worry" part.

redx
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 07:38:02 AM »

I thought there was only going to be 1 disc.

I bet there's 1 disc and then we'll se 1, 2 or 3 more disc's of tracks that never made it onto Chinese Democracy. Just as (some of) the tracks on the UYI albums never made it on AFD.

Also, we might get verious version-s NIN style of Guns N'Roses tracks, as Pittman might have alsorts of ideas.
kriss_boy
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 07:44:54 AM »

I despite that opinion more than anything on earth.

So as a gnr fan... youd prefer them to have released less material... simply so it was more commercially successful and held in higher esteem by the crticis?

If Illusions was only 12/14 tracks... then we would be denied 20 amazing gnr songs.

The illusions albums are incredible. I wouldnt change a thing. (ok, cept my world)
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 07:45:00 AM »

it's been years since axl talked about that.

it was just last spring when axl said they were recording a song for the 3rd cd. he also said on the trunk show, that they are ?still shuffling songs around, changing tracklists for the 3 cd's.

Bartlet
Banned
VIP

Here Today...And Back Tommorrow

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 08:15:23 AM »

So as a gnr fan... youd prefer them to have released less material... simply so it was more commercially successful and held in higher esteem by the crticis?

If Illusions was only 12/14 tracks... then we would be denied 20 amazing gnr songs.

The illusions albums are incredible. I wouldnt change a thing. (ok, cept my world)

daviebuckethead may simply be saying that for his tatstes there is only 1 good album of material across both uyi's. thats a perfectly reasonable opinion. he didnt mention the opinion of critics or commercial success.

i agree with him. tho i like the many of the longer songs, so it would be a lengthy single album.

and as a gnr fan, i would simply like to, er, like, all the material they release. if not all, then certainly far more than i dislike, or can simply take or leave.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 08:20:51 AM by AL1978 » Logged

I would'nt do that if I were you.
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 08:17:52 AM »

i don't wanna talking about 3 cd's,just put one

I have never seen so many tree
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 08:23:47 AM »

no need to savage me dude! hihi

ok, maybe what im trying to say is that the could have taken the best songs (yes the more commercial, wide appeal songs) and put them on one album, and it would have been like the second coming of christ! it would have been absolutely fucking huge!!!! (bigger than it was!)

they could have released the other songs as b sides on the singles to the album or released the other material or an different album!

its just my opinion!

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 09:54:54 AM »

only song that i can hardly listen to at uyi, is "get in the ring"; i think it was ok in '91 to bring out this double-single cd with some b-class songs on it; but after waiting 16 years, with a totally changed line up, you may have to offer more... no fillers accepted, i'd say. even if they put out the 3 albums during the next 3 years; that's the logic and the ideal that - i quess - axl was working towards. i'm just a little afraid that it's not the reality. if it is, i'm the happiest guy in the world.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 10:02:44 AM by whiny » Logged

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 10:20:19 AM »

instead of assembling all the big guns on one record (like a beatles record) and reigning the rnr / music world again, cd could become not as strong as possible.

A group of very talented people have been working on this project for the better part of a decade now. If they haven't come up with two or three albums-worth of killer material in that time then something is very, very wrong. If they only came up with one tune per month between them in that time you're looking at 120 ideas to pick and choose from. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that the band has 40 or so good songs in the bank, more than enough for three albums. 
whiny
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 10:25:55 AM »

instead of assembling all the big guns on one record (like a beatles record) and reigning the rnr / music world again, cd could become not as strong as possible.

A group of very talented people have been working on this project for the better part of a decade now. If they haven't come up with two or three albums-worth of killer material in that time then something is very, very wrong. If they only came up with one tune per month between them in that time you're looking at 120 ideas to pick and choose from. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that the band has 40 or so good songs in the bank, more than enough for three albums.?

that's what you should think. but if the quality is on such a high level, then why has axl been afraid to release cd for more than a decade? why have silkworms, oh my god and rhiad ever surfaced?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 10:27:39 AM by whiny » Logged

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2007, 10:31:27 AM »

but if the quality is on such a high level, then why has axl been afraid to release cd for more than a decade?

They were still recording for the first cd up until a few weeks ago. Having the songs ready and having a finished recording are two different things. I wouldn't be surprised if songs slated for the following albums don't have lyrics or vocals written yet. Quality doesn't enter into the equation if you don't have anything to release.
Crowebar
Sir Puke-a-Lot
VIP

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 10:41:45 AM »

A group of very talented people have been working on this project for the better part of a decade now. If they haven't come up with two or three albums-worth of killer material in that time then something is very, very wrong. If they only came up with one tune per month between them in that time you're looking at 120 ideas to pick and choose from. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that the band has 40 or so good songs in the bank, more than enough for three albums.?

This is what I'm thinking has happened too. The only problem with all of it? None of us know what Axl's really got up his sleeve. Maybe Axl himself doesn't even know??? One can only like to safely assume that, whatever Axl does have up his sleeve, it's probably going to blow a lot of people away and freak out a lot of other people.

I predict that GNR are gonna' create a musical juggernaut, a really huge one, that will be hard to contend with and cannot be stopped.

beer
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 10:47:42 AM by Crowebar » Logged
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 10:53:15 AM »

My feeling is that Axl probably changes his mind once an hour and what he said last year or 10 minutes ago may not be the plan now.  That being said, one CD of killer tunes would suit me just fine.  I wouldn't be a huge supporter of the trilogy idea unless all 3 were equally strong.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
John Galt
Rocker

Peace Sells... But still no one is buying goddamit

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2007, 11:32:59 AM »

There is probably no doubt that they have 3 CD's worth of tracks, my view is that some tracks to fill a trilogy still need work.  Given that in 2002 tracks played at some those shows included Chi Dem, Blues, Madagascar, Rhiad and Silkworms (last two that have reputedly been dropped now to be re-worked) the response to those songs was such that a change in much of the material was decided on (even ChiDem has changed in its live form in 2006) ...

Then in 2006 Better, IRS and occassionally TWAT were played live along with Blues/CD and Madagascar.  Response to these songs has been better, so I expect less tweaking on the final versions of these ad others songs shotlisted for the album has been going on since the tour finished.  Hopefully they now feel they have an albums worth of songs that is timely, relevant and can form a significant part of a live show, otherwise it may not surface for a wee while yet....

Anyhow I am sure others may disagree, but it's just a point of view
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: