Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 12:08:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227995 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Al Gore Challenged to International TV Debate on Global Warming
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Gore Challenged to International TV Debate on Global Warming  (Read 5010 times)
eddie_dean
« on: March 20, 2007, 04:01:47 PM »

? ? PERTH, Scotland, March 19 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- In a formal
 invitation sent to former Vice-President Al Gore's Tennessee address and
 released to the public, Lord Monckton has thrown down the gauntlet to
 challenge Gore to what he terms "the Second Great Debate," an internationally
 televised, head-to-head, nation-unto-nation confrontation on the question,
 "That our effect on climate is not dangerous."
 http://ff.org/centers/csspp/docs/20070316_monckton.html
?
?
? ? Monckton, a former policy adviser to Margaret Thatcher during her years as
 Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, said, "A careful study of the
 substantial corpus of peer-reviewed science reveals that Mr. Gore's film, An
 Inconvenient Truth, is a foofaraw of pseudo-science, exaggerations, and
 errors, now being peddled to innocent schoolchildren worldwide."
?
?
? ? Monckton and Gore have once before clashed head to head on the science,
 politics, and religion of global warming in the usually-decorous pages of the
 London Sunday Telegraph last November.
?
?
? ? Monckton calls on the former Vice President to "step up to the plate and
 defend his advocacy of policies that could do grave harm to the welfare of the
 world's poor. If Mr. Gore really believes global warming is the defining issue
 of our time, the greatest threat human civilization has ever faced, then he
 should welcome the opportunity to raise the profile of the issue before a
 worldwide audience of billions by defining and defending his claims against a
 serious, science-based challenge."
?
?
? ? The arena of the glittering "Second Great Debate" will be the elegant,
 Victorian-Gothic Library of the Oxford Museum of Natural History, which was
 the setting for the "Great Debate" between the natural scientist T. H. Huxley
 and Bishop "Soapy Sam" Wilberforce on the theory of evolution, following the
 publication of Darwin's Origin of Species.? Lord Monckton says he chose this
 historic venue "not only because the magnificent, Gothic architecture will be
 a visually-stunning setting for the debate but also because I hope that in
 this lofty atmosphere the caution and scepticism of true science will once
 again prevail, this time over the shibboleths and nostrums of the false, new
 religion of climate alarmism."
?
? ? ?Lord Monckton's resounding challenge to Al Gore reads as follows --
?
? ? ?"The Viscount Monckton of Brenchley presents his compliments to Vice-
? ? ?President Albert Gore and by these presents challenges the said former
? ? ?Vice-President to a head-to-head, internationally-televised debate upon
? ? ?the question, 'That our effect on climate is not dangerous,' to be held in
? ? ?the Library of the Oxford University Museum of Natural History at a date
? ? ?of the Vice-President's choosing.
?
? ? ?"Forasmuch as it is His Lordship who now flings down the gauntlet to the
? ? ?Vice-President, it shall be the Vice-President's prerogative and right to
? ? ?choose his weapons by specifying the form of the Great Debate.? May the
? ? ?Truth win!? Magna est veritas, et praevalet. God Bless America! God Save
? ? ?the Queen!"
?
?
?
SOURCE? Center for Science and Public Policy
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 04:11:04 PM »

He won't do it.

I watched 10 minutes of his DOC and fell straight to sleep, Great bedtime viewing for sure.

How is Al Gore gonna explain using 20 times more electricity than the average Tennesseean?

Gore is a tad hypocritical dont u think?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 05:27:05 PM »

How is Al Gore gonna explain using 20 times more electricity than the average Tennesseean?
"The average Tennessean lives in an over-turned inflatable row boat and cooks dinner over an open flame (scented candle)."

That would work.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 05:28:10 PM »

^
I hope u arent that retarded.

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 05:33:17 PM »

^
I hope that you aren't the arbiter of intelligence (or irony). There, we both have something to root for.
Vicious Wishes
VIP

Madam in Eden im Adam

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 07:37:02 PM »

He won't do it...however, what's the buffet situation look like?

We're not human beings going through a temporary spiritual experience, we're spiritual beings going through a temporary human experience.
VIP

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 07:43:16 PM »

This Global Warming is no good.
USA is filthying the world the most, because you were lame who didnt sign Kyoto.
I pity you George W Bush  no
eddie_dean
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 09:24:44 PM »

So you blindly accept that man is the primary or a major contributing factor to global change?  Secondly, do you blindly accept that the predictions made by these dooms dayers will come true?  They can't accurately predict the weather 2 days from now and you buy that they can predict 20 years down the road.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 10:37:18 PM »

Global Warming is the biggest fraud since Iraq having Nuclear Weapons.

How much does Gore contribute to global warming with his HUGE mansions and SUV's and private plane rides etc?

SLCPUNK
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 10:51:36 PM »

So you blindly accept that man is the primary or a major contributing factor to global change?  Secondly, do you blindly accept that the predictions made by these dooms dayers will come true?  They can't accurately predict the weather 2 days from now and you buy that they can predict 20 years down the road.

Who said "blindly"?

You?

You are ASSuming how another poster came to their conclusion?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 10:55:10 PM »

Global Warming is the biggest fraud since Iraq having Nuclear Weapons.

How much does Gore contribute to global warming with his HUGE mansions and SUV's and private plane rides etc?

1) And you can back that statement with?

2) You are misunderstood about Gore's energy use.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 10:58:46 PM »

^
I hope that you aren't the arbiter of intelligence (or irony). There, we both have something to root for.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 11:01:20 PM »

Didnt we all debate this Global warming thing ad nauseum a month ago?

Greenhouse gases are high, fine I get it, but I don't believe the world is in danger from any of this. The earth has warmed .6 degrees or something like that over the last 150 years.

Its suppose to warm up 3 degrees over the next 100 years...... That just doesn't get me fearful and scared.

Gore uses 20 times more energy than the average Tennessean. I don't care who u are, that isnt practicing what u preach. What cause he is rich and famous he is allowed to do so?

Its like all these PETA people who probably still wear leather shoes.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 11:23:34 PM »

Gore uses 20 times more energy than the average Tennessean. I don't care who u are, that isnt practicing what u preach. What cause he is rich and famous he is allowed to do so?

Gore and his wife both work from home. Working at home saves on gas and carbon emissions. Gore also purchases credits for electricity generated through renewable resources, which is more expensive. He also uses more energy efficient bulbs, appliances etc to help keep his energy use lower. They also house their security detail in that home. (He was, afterall, the former vice president of the United States of America. What kind of setup do you think he is going to be living in? A two bedroom in the Bronx?)

I highly doubt any member of Peta wears leather shoes.

Nothing is supposed to get you "fearful and scared". Don't be so willfully ignorant man. Scientists from around the globe believe that we contribute to global warming. The only one fearful and scared are the right wing (who are protecting their oil companies and their money) who are desperately creating conspiracy theories about "nutty environmentalists" who are all chicken littles.

The only thing anybody wants is for us all to be more conscious of our energy consumption everyday-and how it relates to our world we live in. It's not about the temperatures going up, or getting a sunburn you know (or do you?)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 03:47:05 AM by SLCPUNK » Logged
GeraldFord
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 11:44:03 PM »

He won't do it.

I watched 10 minutes of his DOC and fell straight to sleep, Great bedtime viewing for sure.

Gore is a tad hypocritical dont u think?

Not hypocritical at all.

Al Gore lives in a mansion, twenty times the size of the average house. So obviously he is going to use much more power. What's the big deal?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 12:56:09 AM »

Exactly Richard but isnt a big thing about Global Warming being wasteful and excessive?

Why do 2 people need a 35 room Mansion?

I like Al Gore, I voted for him the first time and I'd vote for him again if he ran for President, I just disagree with him on this one particular issue.

I don't deny that there is probably such a thing as global warming, I only contest that it isnt this huge panic worthy phenomenon it is made out to be.

I could be wrong but so could the people who believe. I just haven't been convinced yet that this should be at the forefront of important missions that need to be completed.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 01:09:38 AM »

Why do 2 people need a 35 room Mansion?

It is not just two people living in there. I have already explained that to you, and it is readily available information with an easy search.

Proof that you are choosing to be willfully ignorant.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 03:46:34 AM by SLCPUNK » Logged
sandman
Legend

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2007, 08:36:40 AM »

some aspects of gore's life style are hypocritical. that is a fact. but it's not really that big of a deal. and he's a politician, so we kinda already knew that. 

is it true that he drives a Chevy Suburban?

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2007, 09:58:43 AM »

Just b/c someone is a champion of going green and of the environment doesn't mean they are hyprocrites if they drive a big truck or live in a mansion.  I think the whole point Al Gore is trying to make is do we need to waste as much as we do when the effects of that waste are extremely harmful.  Do we need oil/coal when there are known, CLEANSER, alternative fuels/sources of energy out there.  I don't have a problem with someone in the mountains driving a huge pick up with all of their gear, i do however have a problem when i see someone in nyc driving a hummer so they can go from their apartment to the super market which is 5 blocks away.  I HATE when people leave lights on when they're not in the room.

its just about being smart.

I don't even recall or remember seeing/hearing Al Gore going off on anyone and lashing out at them for driving a big SUV.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
sandman
Legend

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2007, 10:20:49 AM »

One Last Thing | Taking closer look at Al Gore's truth

By Jonathan Last
www.phillynews.com

The post-Oscar attacks on Al Gore for living in a mansion that consumes 20 times as much energy as the average American house were enjoyable, but unfair.

Gore's consumption of fossil fuels has nothing to do with the arguments he has been advancing about climate change. After all, his thesis is empirical, not subjective.

It doesn't matter a lick whether Al Gore is a hypocrite. What matters is whether or not he is right.

Gore proposes essentially four assertions, which build conditionally:

(1) Earth's climate is getting warmer; (2) man is responsible in substantial part for this change;

(3) this change will result in net harm; and (4) this change can be reversed by man.

Let's take them in order.

Here is what we know for certain about climate change: In the last 100 years, the average temperature on Earth has risen 1 degree Fahrenheit.

This is not unprecedented. Throughout history, the planet has gone through temperature cycles. There have been "warm periods" and ice ages.

To take just one example, Swiss climatologists believe that the glaciers in the Alps have melted into near nothingness 10 times in the last 10,000 years.

As recently as the 1970s, global cooling was considered by many scientists to be a major imminent threat, with the book The Weather Conspiracy: The Coming of the New Ice Age doing the work of today's An Inconvenient Truth.

Given the history of fluctuations in temperatures, to what degree is man responsible for the current rise? That depends on whom you ask and when you ask them. The United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change says it believes that human activity has been a primary driver.

But this verdict is not final: The IPCC recently explained that its initial work on climate change overestimated man's impact by as much as 25 percent. Who knows how it will change its estimates in the future.

Meanwhile, other scientists say they believe the sun is responsible.

Researchers at the Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research in Germany note that the sun has seemed to be burning more brightly for the last 60 years, which may account for the increase of 1 degree.

But as British scientist Nigel Calder notes, theories about climate change that don't finger man as the culprit are met with hostility or blank stares in the parts of the scientific community most heavily invested in Gore's theses, such as the IPCC.

Which brings us to the third part: If global warming is real, what would the net effect be? Gore says it would be very bad indeed. Taking his cue from the former vice president, the announcer of the Academy Awards telecast gushed that "Davis Guggenheim and the cast were scheduled to shoot in New Orleans the night before Hurricane Katrina hit, an event that brought home the threat - and the impact - of global warming." If global warming causes more storms like Katrina, that would be trouble.

But as a recent piece in Slate acknowledges, "the hurricane-warming link isn't settled at all. Rather, it's a very contentious debate between two groups of scientists - computer-modeling atmospheric scientists versus meteorologists."

Gore, however, goes further. In promoting the 2004 film The Day After Tomorrow, he told the press, "I hope this movie will provide many opportunities for in-depth conversations about what this issue is really all about."

The movie depicted a series of super storms that cause a near apocalypse and bring about, in a matter of days, a new ice age.

Given this promiscuous doomsaying, it's no surprise that some scientists have begun to quietly complain about Gore. A number of them went on record with their complaints to the New York Times last week.

Kevin Vranes, a University of Colorado climatologist, worried that Gore had been "overselling our certainty about knowing the future."

Gore warns about a 20-foot rise in sea level; the IPCC panel estimates "that the world's seas in this century would rise a maximum of 23 inches - down from earlier estimates."

Ever apocalyptic, Gore says that "our civilization has never experienced any environmental shift remotely similar to this." But Don Easterbrook, a geology professor from Western Washington University, notes that within the last 15,000 years there have been shifts up to "20 times greater than the warming in the past century."

What's more, some broad historical evidence, such as that presented by Thomas Gale Moore in his book Climate of Fear, suggests that Earth's "warming periods" have been accompanied by advances in human civilization. As the saying goes, past performance is not an indication of future gains. But if the climate were to warm gradually, it's not obvious why man wouldn't adapt and flourish again, as we have in the past.

Of course, none of that matters if the final condition of the Gore hypothesis doesn't hold. Can man stop the changing of the climate?

Again, the science is conflicted. Gore certainly believes we can. Others are less certain. Climate-change alarmist Paul Hellyer, a former Canadian minister of defense, recently said he believed advanced technology from extraterrestrial civilizations offered the best hope to "save our planet" from the perils of climate change.

Art Bell and Whitley Strieber take a backseat to no one in their worries about climate change. They wrote the book The Coming Global Superstorm, on which The Day After Tomorrow was based, and they, too, fear it may be too late. Bell is host on a radio show about UFOs and the paranormal. Before hooking up with Bell, Strieber wrote five nonfiction books about having been abducted by aliens.

Nothing wrong with any of that, of course. We all have to believe in something.

But when you compound the probabilities, the claims of environmentalists such as Gore begin to look less and less certain. In fact, in their unwillingness to brook dissent or countervailing theories, they seem less like scientists and more like the fundamentalists they otherwise scorn.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: