Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 10:52:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228015 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Brain returns?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brain returns?  (Read 22387 times)
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2007, 11:31:26 AM »

how could anyone think Brain sucks?   Dude is a fantastic drummer, nobody could possibly be serious with those kinds of comments.

Anything's possible.

You know how some think a certain former employee is the greatest drummer in the world.....

/jarmo

I assume the "former employee" remark was about Matt Sorum (a guy I'd never been a fan of until hearing the new songs from Libertad).

Here's what I've always wondered about that... Axl made a little dig at Matt by referring to him as an "former employee" instead of a bandmate, like Slash and Duff.  So if Axl considered (and still considers) Matt to have been an "employee," then does he think of Dizzy the same way?  They were both UYI additions to the band?  And if Axl considers Dizzy to be just an "employee," then what does that say about the rest of the band?

Personally, I've always found the "employee" vs. "band member" debate to be a bunch of shit.  A band is a band.  But when Del James wrote his opus last year, he made a went to great lengths to illustrate his point that this is a BAND and not just a bunch of employees (vs. say , "rock & roll all stars supporting Axl for this tour").

So what's the deal?  Has Axl really found the dream band he's been waiting for?  Are the new guys more than employees?  Did Axl decide to redraw the contracts so that new members would have their share in the ownership of the GNR name?

Just curious.

I think the former employee part was a dig specifically at Matt Sorum, the same way the additional musician tag on Live Era was.

Ali
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2007, 11:42:34 AM »

So if Axl considered (and still considers) Matt to have been an "employee," then does he think of Dizzy the same way?? They were both UYI additions to the band?

Who knows how Axl views it, but my take on it is he wanted to take on a keyboardist which has always been Dizzy.  He's the original keyboardist and has been with the band for well over 15 years.   I'd say that makes him a "bandmate" in this debate of bandmates (or "members" as Axl put it) -vs- employees.  Sorum on the other hand was brought in as more of a tool to replace Adler, recording parts that were already written and playing a live catalog that he also had no hand in writing.  That's probably how Axl differentiates the two and labels him as such.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2007, 11:48:57 AM »

#1 - We don't know how real this e-mail is.

#2 - We don't know if Brain will return to the band.

#3 - If he does indeed return, we don't know in what capacity.

The next shows are in about 2.5 weeks, let's see who plays those shows.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
MotherGooseLuvR
More synthesizer (and Pitman) please
Banned
VIP

PitMANIAC #1

« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2007, 12:50:49 PM »

So if Axl considered (and still considers) Matt to have been an "employee," then does he think of Dizzy the same way?? They were both UYI additions to the band?

Who knows how Axl views it, but my take on it is he wanted to take on a keyboardist which has always been Dizzy.? He's the original keyboardist and has been with the band for well over 15 years.? ?I'd say that makes him a "bandmate" in this debate of bandmates (or "members" as Axl put it) -vs- employees.? Sorum on the other hand was brought in as more of a tool to replace Adler, recording parts that were already written and playing a live catalog that he also had no hand in writing.? That's probably how Axl differentiates the two and labels him as such.

But do you really think -- considering all Axl went through over the years to finally secure the name "Guns N' Roses" as his and his alone -- that Axl would hand over ownership to BBF or Frank, or any of the really talented rock & roll allstars he's got supporting him?

If people want to make digs at Matt for being "an employee," then why do they get so upset when other guys are thought of that way?? Say what you will about Sorum the employee, he actually played on three GNR albums and was a part of their biggest and most successful tours.? If anyone snickers at him for being just an employee, then I think they're treading dangerously close to saying the same thing about the new guys.

? Mother Goose sez: GET YO SYNTH ON, BITCHES!? 
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2007, 12:52:06 PM »

/jarmo

In otherwords we don't know shit about anything. No real changes there then!

Here today...ready to rock
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2007, 12:58:24 PM »

how could anyone think Brain sucks?   Dude is a fantastic drummer, nobody could possibly be serious with those kinds of comments.

Anything's possible.

You know how some think a certain former employee is the greatest drummer in the world.....

/jarmo

I assume the "former employee" remark was about Matt Sorum (a guy I'd never been a fan of until hearing the new songs from Libertad).

Here's what I've always wondered about that... Axl made a little dig at Matt by referring to him as an "former employee" instead of a bandmate, like Slash and Duff.  So if Axl considered (and still considers) Matt to have been an "employee," then does he think of Dizzy the same way?  They were both UYI additions to the band?  And if Axl considers Dizzy to be just an "employee," then what does that say about the rest of the band?

Matt had no creative input on any GnR album.  He drummed over songs that were already written and played them on tour.  Dizzy we know for a fact has actually written songs for their new album.  Dizzy also wrote parts of Oh My God, so unlike Sorum he's actually been a credited writer on an official GnR release.  And will be again whenever CD finally gets released.  Robin, Tommy, Richard, Pitman, and Brain will all get writing credits at some point on CD as well.  So that's the difference between them and Sorum.  Although I think Matt is a really strong drummer, the truth is he never had any part in the creative process on an original Guns song
MotherGooseLuvR
Banned
VIP

PitMANIAC #1

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2007, 01:08:41 PM »

how could anyone think Brain sucks?? ?Dude is a fantastic drummer, nobody could possibly be serious with those kinds of comments.

Anything's possible.

/jarmo

Here's what I've always wondered about that... Axl made a little dig at Matt by referring to him as an "former employee" instead of a bandmate, like Slash and Duff.? So if Axl considered (and still considers) Matt to have been an "employee," then does he think of Dizzy the same way?? They were both UYI additions to the band?? And if Axl considers Dizzy to be just an "employee," then what does that say about the rest of the band?

Matt had no creative input on any GnR album.? He drummed over songs that were already written and played them on tour.? Dizzy we know for a fact has actually written songs for their new album.? Dizzy also wrote parts of Oh My God, so unlike Sorum he's actually been a credited writer on an official GnR release.? And will be again whenever CD finally gets released.? Robin, Tommy, Richard, Pitman, and Brain will all get writing credits at some point on CD as well.? So that's the difference between them and Sorum.? Although I think Matt is a really strong drummer, the truth is he never had any part in the creative process on an original Guns song

I'm not trying to debate who's made a greater artistic contribution to Axl's music.? There's really nothing to discuss there.? We all know Matt didn't write any songs on the album (but then, neither did Dizzy).?

I'm curious about the band's status - "owners" vs. "employees."? Jarmo brought it up, and I think it's an interesting discussion.

Like Jarmo said, Axl considered Matt to be just an "employee."? We all know ownership of the GNR name brand was very important to Axl.? Personally, I would be very surprised if Axl would have a sudden change of heart and decide that anyone who joins the band post-Slash/Duff would become fullfledged members and part-owners of the band they play in.

I don't know the process that Axl goes through when dividing up ownership of his band's name, but I find it hard to believe that back in '91, when he was taking legal control of the band, that he would have decided Matt was an "employee" but Dizzy would be an "Owner" because of some creative contributions he would one day make to an album he hadn't even conceived of yet.? Axl's awesome and all, but I don't think he has the ability to see into the future.

Unless you're suggesting that Axl recently decided he was wrong to play the "Employee vs. Owner" game, and in the middle of CD, decided to promote his "supporting rock & roll all stars" to full-fledged band members and co-owners of the GNR name.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 01:14:40 PM by MotherGooseLuvR » Logged

cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2007, 01:10:55 PM »

Ah, the voice of reason, cheers Jarmo. ? ok

Less than 3 weeks until the GNR touring machine fires up again. ?I can't wait to start reading the reviews from you lucky people at the shows. ?Cheesy

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2007, 01:46:00 PM »

I'm curious about the band's status - "owners" vs. "employees."  Jarmo brought it up, and I think it's an interesting discussion.

It's really not.

The guys are in the band, they work towards the same goals.

Matt was in the band and sometimes you get the impression of the way he talks that he had some huge part in the band's success. He saved the band when they had lost their drummer, but so did Frank in a way.

But I've never seen Frank act all arrogant about it.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
creepingvines
Headliner

exploding whispers...

« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2007, 01:56:38 PM »

i think the reason he called matt a "former employee" could be as simple as just wanting to send a big "fuck you" his way, and may not have had any more thought put into it than that!
Pingouirose
Rocker

Here I Am !

« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2007, 01:59:47 PM »

Matt rules. His playing can't be only considered as "saving". It was different of Adler style but it kicked ass on UYI. I think drums solo was boring but if it was Axl idea and because we are on HTGTH I would say it was a fuckin awesome moment  Tongue
MotherGooseLuvR
Banned
VIP

PitMANIAC #1

« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2007, 02:01:06 PM »

I'm curious about the band's status - "owners" vs. "employees."? Jarmo brought it up, and I think it's an interesting discussion.

It's really not.

The guys are in the band, they work towards the same goals.

Matt was in the band and sometimes you get the impression of the way he talks that he had some huge part in the band's success. He saved the band when they had lost their drummer, but so did Frank in a way.

/jarmo

Yeah, but I doubt that Axl decided to consider new bandmates "employees" because he knew that Matt Sorum would one day become an arrogant prick about being in GNR.

Seriously Jarmo. ?You're an insider, so your take on this would probably be better than most folks'... Do you think Axl's revised his policy on retaining sole ownership of the band? ?Do you think that with the BBF/Frank/Fortus incarnation of GNR, he's finally found the right mix and he's decided to do away with the "employee" designation?

Chinese Democracy
Headliner

"What, did somebody step on a duck!?"-R.D. 1980

« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2007, 02:04:18 PM »

Please, you don't know anything about the guy.

/jarmo

He's made the comment more than once that as long as he gets paid he'll play.? Everyone knows what I'm talking about.? I don't like that.? I don't want that guy in GN'R if that's his attitude.? Frank loves it.

Honestly, you really don't know anything about the guy. You're another one of these fans who still get's their panties twisted over nothing but a joke, which was nothing but a joke in the first place. Annoying as fuck....

Like the tide out on the ocean,
? The waves already set in motion...
Jay Tea
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2007, 02:09:13 PM »

2 drummers would work fine if Dizzy wasn't already the bands auxilary percussionist for 16 years
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2007, 02:11:16 PM »

Seriously Jarmo.  You're an insider, so your take on this would probably be better than most folks'... Do you think Axl's revised his policy on retaining sole ownership of the band?  Do you think that with the BBF/Frank/Fortus incarnation of GNR, he's finally found the right mix and he's decided to do away with the "employee" designation?

Wrong.

I don't know any more the band's business practices etc. than you.

None of that kind of discussions has a place on this board.

For one simple reason, it's their business not ours. We don't know anything. That means what we get is a bunch of people thinking they know things. Speculating about what should be done or how it's done.

We don't need a bunch of wanna be managers, lawyers, booking agents etc posting.

/jarmo

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2007, 03:17:12 PM »

When the tour kicks off in Mexico, Frank will be on drums
requiem156
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2007, 03:23:09 PM »

/jarmo

I don't think he, or GNR, really has the profile that would allow us to find out if he was, at this point. Unless you spend time with him on a regular basis, and I didn't know...
Verasa
Be original.Be yourself
VIP

« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2007, 03:28:38 PM »

When the tour kicks off in Mexico, Frank will be on drums

kinda what I expected it to be...

5/14/06 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
11/12/11 Kansas City, MO
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2007, 06:31:31 PM »

I imagine Brain will play on the North American tour.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
MotherGooseLuvR
Banned
VIP

PitMANIAC #1

« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2007, 07:07:08 PM »

Seriously Jarmo.? You're an insider, so your take on this would probably be better than most folks'... Do you think Axl's revised his policy on retaining sole ownership of the band?? Do you think that with the BBF/Frank/Fortus incarnation of GNR, he's finally found the right mix and he's decided to do away with the "employee" designation?

Wrong.

I don't know any more the band's business practices etc. than you.

None of that kind of discussions has a place on this board.

For one simple reason, it's their business not ours. We don't know anything. That means what we get is a bunch of people thinking they know things. Speculating about what should be done or how it's done.

We don't need a bunch of wanna be managers, lawyers, booking agents etc posting.

/jarmo

Cool.  Normally I wouldn't get into it, but since you brought up the whole "employee vs. band member" status thing in joking about former members, I thought it was an acceptable dialogue.

But you were right when you were joking earlier -- Axl did legally consider Matt Sorum to be an employee. 

I just think it's cool that you're posting about Matt Sorum  in the main GNR section.  God, isn't that guy such a tool? 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: