Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 02:16:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228054 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  What are the chances?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What are the chances?  (Read 4960 times)
WhiteRose
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: May 28, 2007, 03:43:04 AM »

I usually refrain from speculating on anything related to CD and I'm not trying to be negative, but what are the chances of Universal not wanting to give Chinese Democracy a big promotional push?

Although doing so would seem to be counterintuitive (not to mention a questionable business decision) I sometimes wonder if Universal hasn't essentially washed their hands of Chinese Democracy and if they're not requiring the band to fund virtually everything on their own at this point.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts and opinions on this topic.

Cheers,
W.R.
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 04:05:45 AM »

Oh they will promote it ! Universal isn't gonna let this album come out with no promotion especially the way the record sales are in the toilet.  A record that's been in the making 15 years it could change the music world no way u promote the thing.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 07:25:06 AM »

WhiteRose, I've thought the same thing.  I think I've been through every hypothetical in the world, although sometimes folks on this board come up with some interesting ones.

However, in the case of Chinese Democracy, I do think there will be a moderate amount of promotion.  I don't think we'll see something as big as Bono's Vertigo IPod commercial a couple years back...that tv commercial was on every 30 minutes it seemed.  Honestly, it's the fan in me talking, but it would be fun to come up with promotions for an album like CD. 

I know it's mentioned every year, but tie-ins with NFL football or wrestling here in the States, maybe European football or racing in Europe, etc. would be nice.  I'm still a fan of a kick-ass live performance once the band is in touring mode.  (VMA '02 wasn't touring mode.  Wink )

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
KillKurtzKids
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 09:11:54 AM »

though i'm sure chinese democracy will be good. It won't 'change the music world'.
Pingouirose
Rocker

Here I Am !

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 09:14:12 AM »

I hope Universal won't decide to kill Axl music like Sony did with the shitty promotion of Michael Jackson' Invincible  Tongue
isa
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 07:11:46 PM »

I hope Universal won't decide to kill Axl music like Sony did with the shitty promotion of Michael Jackson' Invincible? Tongue

If they do that he burns that label down, that's for sure ok
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 03:19:43 PM »

I think Universal just views Chinese Democracy as a pleasant surprise if it does come out at this point.  There will probably be a big promotional push but if sales are disapointing, they will abandon it fairly quickly.  Just a guess.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 03:42:20 PM »

I think they'll promote it pretty hard.  People talk about the cost of the album, the production budget of $13,000,000 but there are plenty of albums that have cost that much or more.  Mariah Carey had a deal with Virgin paying her $20,000,000 per album, Madonna's albums are regularly budget higher than CD has cost, Michael Jackson's Invincible reportedly cost in the neighborhood of $30,000,000 before promotional costs. 

I think that Universal realizes what this album is capable of.  Yes, it has been expensive and has taken a long time.  But given GnR's worldwide fanbase they must realize that this album still has great potential to make money for the label.  Given how well the slapped together, average promotion Greatest Hits album did they will have to see the potential.  What people need to realize could be a moderate succes in the US, selling 2-3 million records, but it will still be a smash hit internationally and probaby sell at least 8 million copies worldwide within its first two or three years on the market place
Lesty
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 04:57:35 PM »

I hope Universal won't decide to kill Axl music like Sony did with the shitty promotion of Michael Jackson' Invincible? Tongue

You do realize that the reason that album flopped was because the music on it was subpar, and he was turning into a freak?

The guy was given a primetime tv special when invincible was released, not to mention a major budget video. You know how many bands/artists would kill for that kind of publicity?
IF the album failed, it wasn't because of promotion.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 05:11:39 PM »

The guy was given a primetime tv special when invincible was released, not to mention a major budget video. You know how many bands/artists would kill for that kind of publicity?
IF the album failed, it wasn't because of promotion.

Great point....don't forget that the video had Marlon Brando in it.  I'm sure he didn't roll out of bed for free.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 05:24:06 PM »

No Chances...

HBK *

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
irishtwilight
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 01:34:05 AM »

No way, this is already one of the most famous albums ever & it hasn't even come out yet. They will promote the fuck out of this.
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 02:26:52 AM »

No way, this is already one of the most famous albums ever & it hasn't even come out yet. They will promote the fuck out of this.

true. they will promote this album like nonother but thats because they have to. Most people know about G'n'R and i'd say less than a third know anything about CHINESE DEMOCRACY or that the band is still touring and if they know that they don't know whos in it.

We all think that this is a famous album already because we hear see and talk about it everyday. So, really, this is the most famous album on the internet. The internet G'n'R comunity knows all about it and every one else that isn't apart of these forums hear about leaks and shit through the rolling stone, MSN, ect.

No doubt that there will be comersials all around, like what Axl4prez said-
However, in the case of Chinese Democracy, I do think there will be a moderate amount of promotion. I don't think we'll see something as big as Bono's Vertigo IPod commercial a couple years back...that tv commercial was on every 30 minutes it seemed. Honestly, it's the fan in me talking, but it would be fun to come up with promotions for an album like CD.?

hell i liked that comersial Cheesy lol hell i hope thats what happens cause that would be fuckin perfect ok it got U2 known again if you ask me. That was a great promotion for that band at the time and i think it'd work for G'n'R.

and i know what you mean, i'd love to help come up with promotional tool and shit like that Smiley

peace

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 03:04:20 PM »

The band is still touring with a huge base and growing and the chance of a reunion still exists so the chance to make money is real.  The promotion will be there because money is everything to record companies.  The potential is there so will the promotion.

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 10:28:23 PM »

I usually refrain from speculating on anything related to CD and I'm not trying to be negative, but what are the chances of Universal not wanting to give Chinese Democracy a big promotional push?

Although doing so would seem to be counterintuitive (not to mention a questionable business decision) I sometimes wonder if Universal hasn't essentially washed their hands of Chinese Democracy and if they're not requiring the band to fund virtually everything on their own at this point.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts and opinions on this topic.

Cheers,
W.R.

Highly dubious. Highly unlikely. Illogical. Not  just  counterintuitive and questionable business. If  they did not promote  it, it would be just plain stupid.
why spend $13 mil and then not promote  the album?Makes no sense. And if any executive made this decision, he  would be  fired immediately.
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 10:18:38 AM »

Very well Mr. Spock.  This thread is part of so many that came out in the last 2 days as you probably already know...Later...

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: