Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 10:44:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Falsely Accused American Gets 30 years for Murder in Nicaragua
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Falsely Accused American Gets 30 years for Murder in Nicaragua  (Read 6372 times)
creepingvines
Headliner

exploding whispers...

« on: June 05, 2007, 05:14:10 PM »

just wanted to call attention to this for those who don't know about it:

http://www.friendsofericvolz.com/

basically, the short version is this:  this guy named eric volz had been living in nicaragua for 2 years, and was convicted of murdering an ex-girlfriend with absolutely no evidence.  you see, there is this tension in nicaragua because lots of wealthy americans have been heading down there and in some ways fucking things up for the locals.  he basically became the target of this tension and anti-american sentiment, which is somewhat ironic, because he had recently started a bilingual magazine and was actually striving to ease these kinds of tensions through it.  he's been villified by the nicaraguan media and is probably one of the most hated people in the country; he's recieved numerous death threats in prison.  check out the site, you can even send him a letter.

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 05:25:46 PM »

Why is it that every American in a foreign jail is innocent and every foreigner in an American jail is guilty? It's a bit of a statistical anomaly, isn't it?
difleha
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 05:29:39 PM »

let me guess, you guys are the sterotypical non-americans that hate us Americans. uh oh, i just made you mad...

please stop with the stupid, fat, dumb american things.
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 05:30:03 PM »

Why is it that every American in a foreign jail is innocent and every foreigner in an American jail is guilty? It's a bit of a statistical anomaly, isn't it?

you said it.

americans jailed in foreign prisons are always heroes and innocent martyrs, whereas foreigners jailed in america are terrorists. just like american lives are worth much more than any other life in the world. lord forbid an american should have to follow international rules. land of the ego-sentric and fat. take your patriotism and shove it up your fat pimpled asses you blind morons.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
difleha
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 05:31:20 PM »

yup, i knew it... rofl
creepingvines
Headliner

exploding whispers...

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 05:33:03 PM »

well, i don't know about that, but looking at it as an indivitual case, if you read any of the info about it, you'll see how he really got fucked over.  you could actually click the link? peace

EDIT:  i should also say that his american-ness is only really relevant because of the backdrop of the tension in that country.
he's not innocent because he's american, he's innocent because he's innocent.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 05:36:21 PM by creepingvines » Logged
difleha
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 05:35:22 PM »

i really don't want to. is it a friend of your? then I'll be serious about it.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 05:36:12 PM »

let me guess, you guys are the sterotypical non-americans that hate us Americans. uh oh, i just made you mad...

Yeah, that must be it.
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 05:38:18 PM »

"HEY YALL!!! LETS BOMB THEM DAMN COMMIE TERRORIST BEFORE THEM BASTARDS BE TAKIN OVA' OUR COUNTRY!!!!!! YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAW!!! QUICK, TO MCDONALDS, WE CANT BE FIGHTIN THEM DAMN COMMIE TERRORISTS ON AN EMPTY STOMACH!!!"

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
difleha
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 05:40:18 PM »

actually, to be honest, i didn't realized that until after i edited it. i thought it was so funny that the sterotype was true.

i had a french woman in my school that always was talking about how bad americans are, and i was laughing because, we gave her the freedom to speak like that. if we said that in France, we would be kicked out! rofl

Foreigners are so jealous of us rofl
creepingvines
Headliner

exploding whispers...

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 05:45:00 PM »

uh...... ok.  here, how about you just passively watch a six minute video instead, then no reading?  he's not my friend, i just read about his story and he seems like a decent guy in a shitty situation.

http://www.myspace.com/freeericvolz

to my non-american friends:  its really not nice to bash all people from a certain country.  it makes you look really ignorant when you do it, too.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 05:46:50 PM by creepingvines » Logged
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 05:49:34 PM »

i had a french woman in my school that always was talking about how bad americans are, and i was laughing because, we gave her the freedom to speak like that. if we said that in France, we would be kicked out! rofl

I doubt that the French thought police spend their time running around kicking American tourists out of their country before said tourists have spent all of their money on trips to eurodisney and eiffel-tower-shaped hats, regardless of what they said. Besides, unless you said it in french they'd ignore you anyway - and if you did say it in french they'd be too busy mocking your pronunciation to spring into action.

Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 05:49:54 PM »

Why do alot of nations hate America? I dont get it. I always hear someone sayin how fucked USA is and how George Bush is this and that and its america's fault for this... Even here in Australia people sook about the yanks. And that is one thing I always get into a huge fight over.

There are plenty of other countries that deserve the hatred that the Americans get. But we dont call them out as a country, its the "individuals" from these places.

I just get sick of hearing someone sooking.

peace

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 05:53:45 PM »

"HEY YALL!!! LETS BOMB THEM DAMN COMMIE TERRORIST BEFORE THEM BASTARDS BE TAKIN OVA' OUR COUNTRY!!!!!! YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAW!!! QUICK, TO MCDONALDS, WE CANT BE FIGHTIN THEM DAMN COMMIE TERRORISTS ON AN EMPTY STOMACH!!!"

Let's see how many "fat" Marines you count stationed oversea's... You may not like why they are there but you can lose that American sterotype when talking about the people that have been put in harms way (no matter how right or wrong it is that they are there).

As far as your "Why is it that every American in a foreign jail is innocent and every foreigner in an American jail is guilty? It's a bit of a statistical anomaly, isn't it?" comment....
I have no pitty for American's that put themselves in risky situations... Driving a truck as a civilian contractor in Iraq... stupid, is the risk of being beheaded worth 100 dollars an hour for 6 month? Also in this person's case, why the hell are you living in a historicly "non American Freindly" country, what do you expect??

As far as the "foreign combatants" imprisoned in US Military Prisons (whether known or hidden by the CIA)... they are their for a reason, it's not like they are grabing people who have had no known affiliation with terrror organizations. Sure they may not be directly responsible for the 9-11 attacks but if you are or were ever Osama Bin Laden's driver from 1990 on.... tough shit you should have know better. You lie with dogs, you get fleas.... this works for people stupid enough to affliliate themselves with terror organizations... and it also holds true for Americans stupid enough to relocate to known "Non American Freindly" regions of the Globe.
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 05:53:52 PM »

i just read about his story and he seems like a decent guy in a shitty situation.

I have a hard time putting much faith in "the facts" of the case as presented by the accused (regardless of "the case" or "the accused" in question) without some sort of third-party corroboration. 
creepingvines
Headliner

exploding whispers...

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »

i just read about his story and he seems like a decent guy in a shitty situation.

I have a hard time putting much faith in "the facts" of the case as presented by the accused (regardless of "the case" or "the accused" in question) without some sort of third-party corroboration. 

if you really give a fuck, there are plenty of other sources for the facts of the case.  but, it seems like you've decided that "every american in a foreign jail" is guilty.

i really just wanted to put this information out there for people who were interested, not start a bitch-fest about how shitty americans are.  its just one example of a travesty of justice, of which there are thousands throughout the world, happening to people from every part of the planet.  if it pisses you off that he's american, and you know of someone from another country who's getting fucked over like this, then tell us!  tell the world, raise awareness, maybe we can help these people.
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 06:15:54 PM »

if you really give a fuck, there are plenty of other sources for the facts of the case.  but, it seems like you've decided that "every american in a foreign jail" is guilty.

i really just wanted to put this information out there for people who were interested, not start a bitch-fest about how shitty americans are.  its just one example of a travesty of justice, of which there are thousands throughout the world, happening to people from every part of the planet.  if it pisses you off that he's american, and you know of someone from another country who's getting fucked over like this, then tell us!  tell the world, raise awareness, maybe we can help these people.

I simply pointed out that people's sympathies tend to split along nationalistic lines in these threads (take a look at some of the ongoing threads about similar issues). How that is anti-American I'm not sure, unless fervent pro-Americanism is supposed to be the baseline state.
creepingvines
Headliner

exploding whispers...

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 06:32:46 PM »

I simply pointed out that people's sympathies tend to split along nationalistic lines in these threads (take a look at some of the ongoing threads about similar issues). How that is anti-American I'm not sure, unless fervent pro-Americanism is supposed to be the baseline state.

i don't expect fervent pro-americanism, and i'm not accusing you of being anti-american.  i'm just saying it seems like you've decided that "every american in a foreign jail" is guilty, based on your first incredibly sarcastic comment:

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 06:38:50 PM »

i'm just saying it seems like you've decided that "every american in a foreign jail" is guilty, based on your first incredibly sarcastic comment:

I can only let your statement speak for itself, there is no point of contention to debate.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 06:58:55 PM »

you said it.

americans jailed in foreign prisons are always heroes and innocent martyrs, whereas foreigners jailed in america are terrorists. just like american lives are worth much more than any other life in the world. lord forbid an american should have to follow international rules. land of the ego-sentric and fat. take your patriotism and shove it up your fat pimpled asses you blind morons.

says a fan of 50 cent.

html sucks
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: