Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 05:01:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  The Official NHL 2007/2008 Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Official NHL 2007/2008 Thread  (Read 90451 times)
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2007, 05:27:18 PM »

Stars sign Fedoruk to 1-year, $875K deal

The Dallas Stars took a dip into the free agent pool on Monday as they announced the signing of winger Todd Fedoruk to a one-year, $875,000 contract.The Redwater, Alberta native had three goals and 11 assists with 120 penalty minutes last season as he split time between the Anaheim Ducks and the Philadelphia Flyers.  In 354 career games, Fedoruk has 17 goals and 48 assists.

Devils ink Vishnevski to three-year deal

NEWARK, N.J. (CP) - The New Jersey Devils signed free-agent defenceman Vitaly Vishnevski to a US$5.4-million, three-year contract on Tuesday.The 27-year-old split last season with Atlanta and Nashville and recorded 13 points (3-10) in 67 games.

Rangers agree to terms with Shanahan

The New York Rangers have agreed to terms with forward Brendan Shanahan.The 38-year-old Shanahan skated in 67 games with the Rangers this past season, registering 29 goals and 33 assists for 62 points, along with 47 penalty minutes.  He also tied for first on the team with three shorthanded goals and 14 power play goals, and placed second on the Rangers with 295 shots on goal.

Penguins sign Crosby to extension

Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins found a mutually satisfying number in negotiating a five-year contract extension.They settled on US$43.5 million because the annual average is $8.7 million, which corresponds to the No. 87 sweater the superstar centre wears.''That seems like a pretty good number,'' a satisfied Crosby said from his parents' Cole Harbour, N.S., home during a conference call Tuesday. ''It's kind of unique.''

Kings sign Visnovsky to extension

The Los Angeles Kings have agreed to a five-year contract extension with defenceman Lubomir Visnovsky.  Finiancial terms of the deal were not disclosed.''I'm very happy that I'll be staying with this organization for a long time,'' said Visnovsky from his off-season home in Slovakia.  ''I love Los Angeles and I want to play in the playoffs with the Kings.''The 31-year-old Visnovsky has played in 417 games over six seasons with the Kings (2000-07) and he ranks fourth all-time in goals (62), assists (176) and points (238) by a Kings defenseman. 

Rangers, Lundqvist agree to terms

Goaltender Henrik Lundqvist will get US$4.25 million in a one-year NHL contract with the New York Rangers.

Souray and Oilers agree on deal

Sheldon Souray is on his way to Edmonton as the Oilers and the free agent blueliner agreed on a contract.
The Elk Point, Alberta native appeared in 81 games with the Montreal Canadiens in 2006-07 and had a career year with 26 goals and 64 points. Nineteen of his 26 goals came on the power play, which set an NHL record for defencemen.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 05:04:08 PM by Malcolm » Logged

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2007, 07:20:25 PM »

Penguins re-sign Armstrong to 2-year deal

The Pittsburgh Penguins re-signed rugged forward Colby Armstrong to a two-year contract on Thursday.The 24-year-old had 34 points (12-22) in 80 games last season. Three of his goals were scored in overtime."Colby is another young guy who plays with passion, gives us versatility up front and brings an added physical dimension to our team," said GM Ray Shero. "We are confident he'll continue to grow as a player."

Stars re-sign Ribeiro, Lundqvist

The Dallas Stars have signed centre Mike Ribeiro to a one-year contract worth $2.8 million for the 2007-08 season, and centre Joel Lundqvist to a two-year, $1.45 million contract. Lundqvist will make $700,000 this season and $750,000 in 2008-09.

Devils name Sutter head coach

Brent Sutter has accepted one of the NHL's least secure jobs, but he has no concerns about taking over as coach of the New Jersey Devils.The 45-year-old Sutter will be the Devils' 14th coach in 26 seasons in New Jersey, and he will try next season to become the first to finish a season since Pat Burns in 2003-04. Days after the season, cancer forced Burns to step down.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 04:47:03 PM by Malcolm » Logged

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2007, 10:17:20 PM »

Ferguson Sr. passes away

John Ferguson Sr. has passed away at the age of 68.

The five-time Stanley cup winner succumbed to his second bout with cancer on Saturday at his home in Windsor, Ontario.

''On behalf of my entire family, I'd like to thank the many friends, professional colleagues, medical personnel, and hockey fans who have supported us through this difficult time. Your expressions of sympathy have helped bring comfort to us. Your kind words have helped strengthen us.'' John Ferguson Jr. said in a statement.

''My father battled cancer with the same spirit in which he played the game of hockey. He showed courage, strength, class and tremendous character. He had deep appreciation for the support he'd received from so many people beginning with his initial diagnosis. My father's spirit will continue to live on in all of us whose lives he touched.''

As a player, Ferguson skated in 500 regular season NHL games, all with the Montreal Canadiens. He scored 145 goals and added 158 assists. He developed a reputation as one of the toughest players in the NHL, collecting 1214 penalty minutes over his career.

Ferguson enjoyed great playoff success with the Canadiens, capturing Stanley Cup championships in 1965, 66, 68, 69 and 71. He netted 20 goals, added 18 assists and recorded 260 penalty minutes over 85 games.

Ferguson remained in hockey after his playing days were over. He spent time as both a coach and general manager for the New York Rangers and Winnipeg Jets. He also served as an assistant coach for Team Canada at the '72 Summit Series.

Ferguson's son, John Ferguson Jr., is the general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs. 

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2007, 04:32:03 PM »

Capitals re-sign Eminger and Sutherby

ARLINGTON, Va. (CP) - The Washington Capitals have re-signed defenceman Steve Eminger and centre Brian Sutherby, the club announced Tuesday.Both players were restricted free agents. Financial terms were not released.

Hurricanes acquire Cullen from Rangers

(CP) - Matt Cullen is back where he should have probably never left."I think it'll be just like jumping right back in, picking up where I left off," the veteran centre told The Canadian Press on Tuesday after rejoining the Carolina Hurricanes in a trade from the New York Rangers.Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford re-acquired Cullen in exchange for defenceman Andrew Hutchinson, forward Joe Barnes and a third-round pick in next year's NHL entry draft, filling a hole he said he couldn't replace last year after Cullen left.

Sens deal Schaefer to Bruins for Donovan

The Ottawa Senators have traded winger Peter Schaefer to the Boston Bruins in exchange for veteran winger Shean Donovan.The move will save the Senators space under the salary cap.Schaefer has three years and US$6.7 million left on his deal while Donovan has one year left at $925,000.

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2007, 03:48:48 PM »

Sens avoid arbitration with Emery

The Ottawa Senators and goaltender Ray Emery have avoided salary arbitration by reaching a last minute three-year contract agreement worth $9.5 milliion. Emery was happy to avoid the arbitration process and the knowledge he will remain in the nation's capital:"I'm more excited by the fact I'm staying in Ottawa long term and will have the opportunity to see the team fight to get back to the Stanley Cup final," Emery tells TSN. "So I guess it's less about being relieved and more about looking forward to the future."''It was a difficult negotiation,'' Emery's agent J.P. Barry told The Canadian Press. ''Bryan and I started pretty far apart but we worked hard to close the gap and were able to do so this morning after Bryan was able to speak with Mr. Melnyk.'' The 24-year-old Emery was a restricted free agent. He will earn $2.75 million next season, $3.25 million in 2008-09 and $3.5 million in 2009-10, for an average of $3.16 million a season, a big raise over the $925,000 he made last season.

Blues sign Stempniak to 3-year deal

ST. LOUIS (CP) - The St. Louis Blues have avoided salary arbitration with Lee Stempniak, re-signing the 24-year-old forward to a US$7.5 million, three-year contract Wednesday.''He's a good, young player with a lot of upside,'' Blues president John Davidson told The Canadian Press. ''It's a sensible deal for both sides.''Stempniak, 24, set career highs in goals (27), assists (25) and points (52) while playing in all 82 games with the Blues last season. He ranked first on the team in goals and was second with 52 points while earning $450,000.

Predators sign veteran winger Gelinas

Nashville, Tenn. - The Nashville Predators agreed to terms on a one-year contract with free-agent forward Martin Gelinas.Gelinas, 37, appeared in all 82 games for the Florida Panthers in each of the last two seasons and he notched 44 points in 2006-07. The 5-11, 202-pound winger recorded his 600th NHL point this past season and scored his 300th career NHL goal in April at Carolina. His contract will pay him $1.25 million in 2007-08.

Oilers tender offer sheet to Ducks' Penner

The Edmonton Oilers are back at it again, tendering a five year, $21.25 million offer sheet to Anaheim Ducks Group II restricted free agent Dustin Penner.The Ducks have seven days to match Edmonton's offer. Should the Ducks decide not to match, the compensation from the Oilers would be a first-round draft pick as well as a second-round pick and a third-round choice.The Oilers and Penners agent would not comment until after Anaheim made a decision.''We're going to wait and see what happens here in the next seven days before we make a comment,'' Penner's agent Gerry Johannson told The Canadian Press.The Ducks' salary cap currently sits at around $48 million. With the Penner signing, they would go over the $50.3-million maximum but a team is allowed to be over the salary cap by 10 per cent until Oct. 1.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 04:55:18 PM by Malcolm » Logged

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2007, 04:22:40 PM »

Sabres sign Roy to 6-year deal

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - Derek Roy avoided salary arbitration Friday by agreeing to a US$24-million, six-year, contract with the Buffalo Sabres.It's a hefty deal for a third-line centre coming off a career season in which he finished fifth on the Sabres with 63 points (21-42) in 75 games. He was also a plus-37, fifth-best among all NHL skaters.The deal will pay him $4 million on average per season, a significant raise for Roy, who made $627,000 last year.

Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2007, 02:34:34 AM »

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - Derek Roy avoided salary arbitration Friday by agreeing to a US$24-million, six-year, contract with the Buffalo Sabres.It's a hefty deal for a third-line centre coming off a career season in which he finished fifth on the Sabres with 63 points (21-42) in 75 games. He was also a plus-37, fifth-best among all NHL skaters.The deal will pay him $4 million on average per season, a significant raise for Roy, who made $627,000 last year.

4 Mil a year for Derek Godgamn Fucking Roy  rant

Darcy reiger is so fucked in the head.. I swear he's getting paid off by Philly and NYR to tank the sabres... BULLSHIT!!!!!
RebelRose89
Rocker

It's Showtime!

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2007, 04:41:57 PM »

4 Mil a year for Derek Godgamn Fucking Roy? rant

Darcy reiger is so fucked in the head.. I swear he's getting paid off by Philly and NYR to tank the sabres... BULLSHIT!!!!!

He had better hope that Roy and Vanek play to what their paychecks claim or its going to turn extremely ugly over the next couple years.

Go Sabres - Go Bills - Go White Sox
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2007, 05:50:35 PM »

4 Mil a year for Derek Godgamn Fucking Roy  rant

He had better hope that Roy and Vanek play to what their paychecks claim or its going to turn extremely ugly over the next couple years.

Dont most GM's hope that? lol, and dont most things turn ugly if they dont?lol

RebelRose89
Rocker

It's Showtime!

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2007, 06:28:22 PM »

4 Mil a year for Derek Godgamn Fucking Roy? rant

Dont most GM's hope that? lol, and dont most things turn ugly if they dont?lol
you're right, GM's do ...- but Darcy has even pointed out? to the Buffalo News that this offseason was a complete flop!
Enter in the failure to keep either Drury, Brierre, or Zubrus.? And now putting the money saved from not signing Drury or Brierre into steeper paychecks of Vanek and Roy instead of finding at least one decent player to fill a gaping void left by these players.
The whole thing was mismanaged, i'm not saying I could do a better job, but instead of keeping his mind cluttered with thoughts of Drury and Brierre leaving during the season - he could have took care of other free agents so this wouldn't have gotten this bad.
 Not to mention that the FA's leaving were the faces of the team.? To not keep at least one, in my opinion was not only a bad hockey move - but a bad PR move.? The money from Roy's contract plus the leftover money could have signed either Brierre, Drury, or Zubrus no problem.

Ugh the hole situation gives me a headache - along with most Sabres fans. All I know is that 3 key players to Buffalo's playoff run will not be returning and everything else remains unchanged. Banking on your player development and coaching as explanation to why 2 MVP calibre type players leave while you overpay for role players will be the demise of Darcy's stay in Buffalo if the next couple years see no progress.

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2007, 06:53:35 PM »

Ya I gotcha, Well IMO Buffalo still has a pretty good team, A 5th,6th place finish is not to far fetched, solid goaltending, a minor upgrade in D and youve still got Vanek,Connolly,Roy,Pominville, who knows they may blossom in the spotlight?

Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2007, 08:46:13 PM »

Signing a big free agent is a dream. A bad dream. Big names do not come to Buffalo. In the NFL either. The Bills and the Sabres are cheap organizations who only improve through their own minor league/draft picks with the occasional middle-name free agent who blossoms, like Drury.

Besides, the strength of the Sabres these past years has been largely from Rochestor. There will be players who step up, and Vanek and Connolly are both ready to be captains and on the first line.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
RebelRose89
Rocker

It's Showtime!

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2007, 10:27:45 PM »

Well when it comes down to it - I'll be in the rink and buyin the tickets havin' my fingers crossed! Should be an exciting '08 season.

Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2007, 12:09:07 AM »

Yes most of their talent has come from Rochester... But not to keep one of those guys, and to sign Roy to that money for that long is bad news... This isint the NFL, they cant cut him in 2 years....
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2007, 05:30:19 PM »

Rangers avoid arbitration with Hossa

The New York Rangers announced Tuesday that the club has agreed to terms with restricted free agent forward Marcel Hossa on a $780,000 (US), one-year deal.Hossa was set to go to salary arbitration with the Rangers on August 2.Hossa, 25, appeared in 64 games with the Rangers this past season, recording 10 goals and eight assists for 18 points, along with 26 penalty minutes.

Senators sign Kelly to one-year deal

The Ottawa Senators have re-signed centre Chris Kelly to a one-year, $1.2625 million deal, avoiding an arbitration hearing with him.Kelly recorded his best season in 2006-07, scoring 15 goals and adding 23 assists for 38 points in 82 games. He also had seven points while playing in all 20 post-season games.

Arbitrator awards Avery $1.9-million

An arbitrator has awarded New York Rangers centre Sean Avery a $1.9-million salary for next season.Avery, 27, was seeking $2.6-million in arbitration after scoring 48 points in 84 games last season with the Los Angeles Kings and New York Rangers.Avery earned $1.1-million last season and the Rangers were offering him $1.3-million in arbitration.  A well-known agitator, Avery has 134 points and 913 penalty minutes in 322 career games. As with any arbitration hearing, the team didn't hesitate to downplay the player's contribution, even though the Rangers were 17-6-6 after acquiring Avery from the Kings in February. The New York Post reported that the Rangers described Avery to an arbitrator as "a reasonably effective player as well as a detriment to the team."

Parise signs multi-year deal with Devils

The New Jersey Devils have signed forward Zach Parise to a new four-year, $12.5-million contract.Parise led all Devils last season with 31 goals, also a career high. He set career marks in assists (31), and points (62) while playing in all 82 games of the 2006-07 campaign, his second in the NHL.The Minneapolis native didn't miss a beat in the postseason, recording career highs in goals (7), assists (3), and points (10) in 11 playoff contests.

Preds sign letter of intent with locals

The Nashville Predators aren't going anywhere.Owner Craig Leipold signed a letter of intent  Wednesday to sell the team to a local group of investors trying to keep the NHL franchise from leaving town.The group of eight partners plan to pay US$193 million, according to Leipold. One of the partners, David Freeman, chief executive officer of 36 Venture Capital LLC, has put down a $10-million deposit to make sure the deal is completed.The only partner from outside the Nashville area is William (Boots) Del Biaggio, a California venture capitalist who is a part-owner of the San Jose Sharks.''I'm excited to pass the torch to David and to Boots and their group,'' said Leipold. ''I know that they are all committed to Nashville.''

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2007, 03:36:08 PM »

Ducks decline offer sheet for Penner

The Anaheim Ducks have declined to match the Edmonton Oilers' five-year, $21.25 million offer sheet for winger Dustin Penner.

As a result, Penner becomes property of the Oilers while the Ducks receive the Oilers' first, second and third round picks as compensation. Oilers general manager Kevin Lowe will hold a 4:30pm et conference call while Ducks' GM Brian Burke will conduct a conference call at 6pm et.

In a poll on TSN.ca, 82% of users feel the Ducks should not match the offer and let Penner go to the Oilers.

Last season, Penner scored 29 goals and added 16 assists for 45 points in 82 games. In the Ducks run to the Stanley Cup, he scored three goals and added five assists for eight points in 21 playoff games.

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2007, 04:31:23 PM »

Alright sorry about no updates I've been busy

Welcome Back: Brisebois signs with Habs

MONTREAL - The Montreal Canadiens have signed free agent defenceman Patrice Brisebois to a one-year contract for the 2007-08 season.Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed."Patrice is a seasoned veteran who brings a vast experience at the NHL level. His presence adds depth to our group of defensemen," said Bob Gainey.Brisebois, 36, returns to Montreal where he spent the first 14 seasons of his career.

Devils sign free agent winger Asham

The New Jersey Devils signed free agent right wing Arron Asham to a one-year, $700,000 contract on Tuesday.
Asham recorded 11 goals and 12 assists for 23 points and 63 penalty minutes while appearing in a career-high 80 games last season."Arron Asham is a veteran forward who brings a level of toughness, intensity, and feistiness to our lineup," said Devils' general manager Lou Lamoriello.

Cammalleri awarded 2-yr $6.7 million deal

LOS ANGELES (CP) - Mike Cammalleri won't be getting the raise he had hoped for after an arbitrator awarded the Los Angeles Kings winger a two-year deal worth US$6.7 million.He will earn $3.1 million this season and $3.6 million in 2008-09.Cammalleri asked for $6 million per season while it's believed the Kings offered $2.6 million.Cammalleri, 25, made $1.7 million last season and was the team's leading scorer with 34 goals and 46 assists. He also played on Canada's gold-medal winning team at the IIHF World Hockey Championship in Russia last spring.

Thrashers sign Pilar, Bartovic

The Atlanta Thrashers have agreed to terms with unrestricted free agent defenseman Karel Pilar and forward Milan Bartovic.  Terms of the deals were not disclosed.The 29-year-old Pilar recorded seven points (two goals, five assists) in 10 games last season after joining the Toronto Marlies (American Hockey League) on March 5, 2007.  The 6-3, 210-pound defensemen missed the majority of the 2005-06 and 2006-07 campaigns with a heart ailment, and spent the 2004-05 season with HC Sparta Praha in the Czech Republic, where he led all defensemen and ranked sixth on the team with 28 points (13 goals, 15 assists) in 52 games. 

Senators sign Luke Richardson

The Ottawa Senators have signed defenceman Luke Richardson to a one-year, two-way contract.An Ottawa native, Richardson recorded three assists and 16 penalty minutes in 27 games with the Tampa Bay Lightning during the 2006-07 season. In 1,339 career NHL games, he has scored 33 goals, added 159 assists and recorded 2,012 penalty minutes. The defenceman has added eight assists and 130 penalty minutes in 69 career NHL playoff games.''Luke is a character player who brings experience to our club,'' said Senators general manager Bryan Murray. ''We feel he can be a leader who can be an great example for our young defenceman to learn from.''

Former coach/GM MacLean buys Lightning

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - A group led by former Florida Panthers coach Doug MacLean has agreed to buy the Tampa Bay Lightning.The NHL team says a group called Absolute Hockey Enterprises has signed a purchase agreement with current owner Palace Sports and Entertainment.The deal includes the leasing rights to the St. Pete Times Forum and adjacent properties.The sale is subject to approval by the NHL's board of governors.

Isles ink Sutton to three-year deal

UNIONDALE, N.Y. (AP) - The New York Islanders got bigger and a bit younger on the blue-line Friday night when they signed six-foot-six defenceman Andy Sutton to a three-year contract.Sutton will absorb a lot of the minutes and responsibilities of 37-year-old Sean Hill, a defensive defenceman who signed with the Minnesota Wild after being suspended during last season's playoffs for violating the NHL's drug policy.

Blackhawks acquire Adams from Coyotes

The Chicago Blackhawks have acquired center Kevyn Adams from the Phoenix Coyotes in exchange for forward Radim Vrbata.'In Kevyn Adams we're getting a veteran player who is extremely versatile, is a good skater and is a very good face-off man,'' said Blackhawks general manager Dale Tallon. ''Kevyn has won a Stanley Cup and is a proven leader.''
The 32-year-old Adams split last season between the Carolina Hurricanes and the Phoenix Coyotes.

Coyotes sign Auld to one-year deal

GLENDALE, Ariz. (CP) - The Phoenix Coyotes signed goaltender Alex Auld to a one-year contract on Monday.
The 26-year-old spent last season with the Florida Panthers. The native of Thunder Bay, Ont., had a record of 7-13-5.

NHL veteran Mike Ricci retires

Mike Ricci is hanging up his skates.The 16-year NHL veteran announced his retirement during the Peterborough Professional Hockey Alumni charity golf tournament at the Kawartha Golf and Country Club.Ricci underwent neck surgery last year and told the Peterborough Examiner that he has not recovered like he had hoped.  He missed all but seven games last season due to his injured neck.In 1099 NHL games with the Coyotes, Sharks, Avalanche, Nordiques and Flyers, Ricci has totals of 243 goals, 362 assists and 974 penalty minutes

Devils re-sign Martin to 3-year deal

The New Jersey Devils have re-signed defenceman Paul Martin to a 3-year, $11.5 million contract. Martin will earn $3 million this season, $4 million in 2008 and $4.5 million in 2009.The Minneapolis native scored three goals and collected 23 assists while playing in all 82 games last season.  He also had four assists in 11 playoff games.''Paul Martin is an all-situations type of defenceman, and has developed into one of the more talented young players in the National Hockey League,'' Devils CEO, President and General Manager Lou Lamoriello told the Canadian Press.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 04:23:52 PM by Malcolm » Logged

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2007, 04:08:35 PM »

Canucks re-sign veteran Linden

VANCOUVER (CP) - Fan favourite and 16-year Vancouver Canuck veteran Trevor Linden has re-signed with the team.
The contract will pay the 37-year-old US$600,000 in base salary. The deal also includes an additional $350,000 in bonuses for games played.The signing is a relief for Linden.''For the last week or so, I was, for the lack of a better word, getting a little cranky," he laughed. ''Just with the uncertainty, now it focuses in for me..it just puts some closure to it.''

Peca agrees to deal with Blue Jackets

The Columbus Blue Jackets and free agent forward Michael Peca have come to terms on a one-year contract. Don Meehan, Peca's agent, confirmed to TSN that the deal will become official pending a physical with the club within the next few days.

Panthers, Weiss agree on six-year deal

The Florida Panthers have agreed to terms with Stephen Weiss on a 6-year, $18.6 million contract.  The deal will pay Weiss $3.1 million per year.

Sharks ink Michalek to six-year deal

The Sharks locked up another core player for the long haul today by signing winger Milan Michalek to a six-year deal worth in excess of $24 million.

Preds' Sullivan to miss three months

Nashville, TN (Sports Network) - Nashville Predators forward Steve Sullivan will miss the first three months of the upcoming season due to ongoing back problems.Sullivan, who has not played since February 22 due to a back injury, underwent a second operation Thursday and is expected to miss three months while recovering. The original surgery to repair a defragmented disk took place on June 27.

Avalanche sign Brett Clark to extension

The Colorado Avalanche have signed defenseman Brett Clark to a two-year contract extension good through the 2009-10 season.

Ducks sign Kunitz to contract extension

ANAHEIM, Calif. (CP) - The Anaheim Ducks have signed forward Chris Kunitz to a US$14.9-million, four-year contract extension.Kunitz will earn $1.15 million in the last year of his old deal this season before the new contract kicks in, paying him $3.5 million in 2008-09, $3.6 million in 2009-10, $3.8 million in 2010-11 and $4 million in 2011-12.

Belfour signs with Swedish club

Ed Belfour will be stopping pucks in Sweden this coming season.The 42-year-old netminder signed on with Swedish club Leksands IF on Monday.Belfour went 27-17-10 with a 2.77 goals-against average for the Florida Panthers last season.

Niedermayer may still return this season

It came as a surprise to almost everyone in the hockey world when reports surfaced this summer that Anaheim Ducks captain Scott Niedermayer was seriously considering retirement - just after leading the team to its first Stanley Cup.
But when the 33-year-old NHL veteran returned to his hometown of Cranbrook, B.C., with teammate and brother Rob to show off the Cup on Monday, he admitted that a return next season is still very much a possibility."Obviously, it's a lot different after the Stanley Cup playoffs," Niedermayer told TSN. "You're tired, you've been through a long year. And after having some time off, you're feeling better physically."The Conn Smythe Trophy winner as playoff MVP informed general manager Brian Burke of the possibility of retirement during the players' exit interviews a few days after Anaheim won its championship. But a couple of months away from the ice has the future Hall of Famer in a somewhat different mindset.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 08:45:28 AM by Malcolm » Logged

Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2007, 02:46:45 PM »

Sharks sign Marleau to $12.6M extension

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - Patrick Marleau agreed to a US$12.6-million, two-year contract extension with the San Jose Sharks on Friday, keeping the longtime captain with the club through 2010.After months of negotiations and public speculation on Marleau's future, he finalized a deal two weeks before training camp opens to stay with the club that drafted him in 1997.The 27-year-old will earn US$4.5 million in the final year of his current contract. He will then make $6.3 million each of the next two years.

Stars re-sign winger Jussi Jokinen

DALLAS (CP) - The Dallas Stars have re-signed winger Jussi Jokinen to a US$3.625-million, two-year contract.

Leafs' Bell suspended indefinitely

Sources tell TSN Toronto Maple Leafs forward Mark Bell has been suspended indefinitely without pay after being placed into stage two of the NHL's substance abuse program.In order to be reinstated, Bell will require the recommendation of program doctors along with the approval of both the National Hockey League and the NHLPA.

Roenick signs one-year deal with Sharks

Jeremy Roenick is not retiring after all, as the veteran centre has signed a one-year contract with the San Jose Sharks for $500,000.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 03:43:52 PM by Malcolm » Logged

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2007, 06:15:07 AM »

RANGERS TO RETIRE LEETCH'S NO. 2 ON JAN. 24     
Brian Leetch, who has every major scoring record for Rangers defensemen, will see No. 2 go to the rafters on Jan. 24, 2008 -- just under 20 years after his Feb. 29, 1988, NHL debut.

9/6/2007

The New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the organization will retire jersey No. 2 in honor of Rangers great Brian Leetch in an on-ice ceremony prior to the Rangers -- Atlanta Thrashers game on Thursday, January 24, 2008.

"When we talk about what it means to be a New York Ranger, Brian Leetch is the player who exemplifies that model," stated Sather. "He is simply the greatest defenseman in the history of the franchise and gave the same effort when it came to helping the community off the ice. There is no higher honor to grant Brian then to have his number raised to the rafters of Madison Square Garden to join the other Garden legends."

Leetch, who retired from professional hockey after a memorable 18-year career, established himself as the most prolific defenseman to don the Rangers sweater. He holds the franchise record with 741 career assists and ranks second in career points (981) and games played (1,129). Leetch also holds the Rangers record for goals by a defenseman, with 240.

"I appreciate that the New York Rangers have extended the honor of raising my jersey to the Madison Square Garden rafters alongside team icons Rod, Eddie, Mike, and Mark," Leetch said. "New York City, the Garden and Rangers fans hold a special place in my heart and have supplied me with a lifetime of extraordinary memories. This night will be a very special one for me and my family and I look forward to returning to Madison Square Garden and being able to call it home."

Leetch appeared in 1,205 career games with the Rangers, Toronto Maple Leafs, and Boston Bruins, registering 247 goals and 781 assists for 1,028 points, along with 571 penalty minutes. Leetch was selected to participate in eleven NHL All-Star games (1990-1998 and 2001-2002) and was honored with the Norris Trophy twice (1992 and 1997), the Conn Smythe Trophy (1994) and the Calder Trophy (1989).

Leetch was a catalyst during the Rangers' run to the 1994 Stanley Cup Championship, in which he led the NHL with 11 goals and 23 assists for 34 points (second highest total by a defenseman in playoff history) in 23 matches and became first American born player to capture the Conn Smythe Trophy. The three-time Olympian helped Team USA capture a silver medal at the 2002 Winter Olympics while being named to the All-Tournament Team.

The native of Corpus Christi, Texas will join Rod Gilbert (7), Eddie Giacomin (1), Mike Richter (35) and Mark Messier (11) as the only Rangers players to have their jersey numbers retired. Gilbert's No. 7 was first to ascend to the Garden rafters on March 9, 1977; Giacomin's No. 1 on March 15, 1989; Richter's No. 35 on February 4, 2004; and most recently Messier's No. 11 on January 12, 2006.

In addition, Leetch's jersey number will be among nine New York Knickerbockers that have been remembered in the ceiling of The World's Most Famous Arena. Former Knicks players Walt Frazier (10), Dick Barnett (12), Earl Monroe (15), Dick McGuire (15), Willis Reed (19), Dave DeBusschere (22), Bill Bradley (24) and most recently Patrick Ewing (33) have all had the numbers honored by the team, along with Hall-of-Fame coach Red Holzman (613).

Due to high season subscription renewals for the upcoming season, there will be no individual tickets available for this game.

Only the 5th in team history to have this honor and absolutely deserved.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: