Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 04:37:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228016 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Scott Weiland and Eddie Vedder--the irony
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scott Weiland and Eddie Vedder--the irony  (Read 26336 times)
GeraldFord
« on: July 04, 2007, 08:05:09 AM »

First off let me just state that I am a fan of Eddie Vedder, I've seen PJ and own all their albums. That said...

Isn't if funny how people used to rag on Weiland for ripping off Eddie Vedder, calling him a poseur, etc. Now, fifteen years later, who's the one still relevant? As much as I liked Pearl Jam's last three albums, they all just came and went. Apart from PJ's large cult following, who really cares about Eddie Vedder anymore? Meanwhile, Weiland has been successful not only with STP, but now fronts Velvet Revolver, possibly the best rock group of the 00s.?
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 08:40:28 AM »

yeah I guess. VR definately release better and less bland music than PJ these days.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »

So you're saying it's not important to have integrity as long as you sell records? 

Now imagine if Weiland had even half of the talent that Eddie Vedder has.  Tongue

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Dayle1066
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 09:41:14 AM »

Thats hard for me to do considering i think Weiland pisses all over Vedder (Im a PJ fan also btw)
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 09:45:43 AM »

For all the shit Weiland has taken in the press combined with his drug problems, it's absolutely amazing he is where he is right now.
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 10:13:31 AM »

You should have seen the crowd at Reading festival last year when PJ headlined - it was absolutely immense and Eddie was visibly and vocally moved by the vast aduience singing along and cheering. ?I felt that a lot of people really respected PJ and they were a very good headlining act. ?it takes a lot for a band to be able to close a weekend of music at a festival. Especially as Reading has a fairly varied type of gig-goer. Much as I like Weiland - I dont think he is currently in the same position - although VR drew a huge crowd at Download this year for their next-to-headlining slot.

Maybe thats to do with where PJ decides to tour as well. E.g. ?I loved Riot Act - and was luckily in Australia at that time and they toured it there, but not in Europe (i think??). ?They dont play UK that often - but when they do - the tickets are always in HOT demand. ?Maybe because Pearl Jam are turning into sort of the last band standing of that era of music. ?The big bands of the seattle/grunge sound are no longer together: Soundgarden, nirvana, hole, pumpkins, STP etc.

GeraldFord
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 10:23:51 AM »

So you're saying it's not important to have integrity as long as you sell records??

Now imagine if Weiland had even half of the talent that Eddie Vedder has.? Tongue

/jarmo

I'm not saying that at all. I just think it's funny that while a lot of people used to dog Weiland as a fraud and a Vedder clone, fifteen years after the fact, he's doing better for himself.

As much as I like Eddie Vedder and acknowledge his talent, I'm going to go with Weiland as the bigger talent of the two. Just listen to his solo album and his work with STP and VR--much more versatile, both as a song writer and as a singer, with a better knack for hooks.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 11:30:44 AM »

In my opinion, Scott and his band attached themselves to the grunge/Seattle scene with their first album.

Eddie was just one of the singers who were part of it.

Then a few years later, Scott is attaching himself to something else.

Now he's trying to pass himself of as some bad ass punk rocker.

Eddie Vedder has been consistent. He's been the same guy since Pearl Jam started. Except now he seems more at peace with the idea of being the "rock star" than when they got big.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 11:45:12 AM »

In my opinion, Scott and his band attached themselves to the grunge/Seattle scene with their first album.

Eddie Vedder has been consistent. He's been the same guy since Pearl Jam started. Except now he seems more at peace with the idea of being the "rock star" than when they got big.

/jarmo

i disagree. sure STP's first album was the most "grunge" sounding, but the rest were very very diverse and they really shed the grunge label. they could've churned out the same shit over and over again but chose not to.

and i dont know why u are saying they "attached" themselves to the grunge movement. STP were together before Pearl Jam.

weiland is just changing and evolving, he likes trying new things, from image to music etc. hes a big Bowie fan so he loves experimenting.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 11:50:37 AM by GnFnR87 » Logged

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 12:11:28 PM »

Are you gonna tell me his image back when Core came out wasn't very similar to what the Seattle bands were doing?

Did he really look like that in 1991?

/jarmo

chinese democrazy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 01:21:28 PM »

So you're saying it's not important to have integrity as long as you sell records??

Now imagine if Weiland had even half of the talent that Eddie Vedder has.? Tongue

/jarmo

It's hard to compare talent when they do such different things, however both men have done vocals for the door song "break on through" and weiland's version is head and shoulders above vedders.

hunterwh
Headliner

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 01:28:17 PM »

Are you gonna tell me his image back when Core came out wasn't very similar to what the Seattle bands were doing?

Did he really look like that in 1991?

/jarmo

Weiland looked like Layne Staley and sounded like Vedder.
I used to hate STP but they grew on me...

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 01:58:00 PM »

Ed Vedder plays arenas and stadiums around the world.

Weiland and his band play 2,000 seaters in the States.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 02:42:08 PM »

Isn't if funny how people used to rag on Weiland for ripping off Eddie Vedder, calling him a poseur, etc. Now, fifteen years later, who's the one still relevant?

Eddie Vedder, of course.

Eddie Vedder is one of the greatests frontmen in contemporary rock history, and he's also a great singer and songwritter.

Scott Weiland doesnt even have half of the talent, songwritting skills, scenic presence and charisma Eddie Vedder has.

To answer your question, Eddie Vedder is at least still Eddie Vedder. Scott currently is ''the singer of the ex-gunners band''.

You also have to remember that Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam are known worldwide. Scott and STP is basically an american phenomenon.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
GeraldFord
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 03:18:09 PM »

Isn't if funny how people used to rag on Weiland for ripping off Eddie Vedder, calling him a poseur, etc. Now, fifteen years later, who's the one still relevant?

Eddie Vedder, of course.

Eddie Vedder is one of the greatests frontmen in contemporary rock history, and he's also a great singer and songwritter.

Scott Weiland doesnt even have half of the talent, songwritting skills, scenic presence and charisma Eddie Vedder has.

To answer your question, Eddie Vedder is at least still Eddie Vedder. Scott currently is ''the singer of the ex-gunners band''.

You also have to remember that Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam are known worldwide. Scott and STP is basically an american phenomenon.

But people care about VR and their new album.

Outside of 300,000 hardcore fans (US) no one really cares about PJ.
GeraldFord
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 03:20:36 PM »

/jarmo

Sure "Core" era STP was contrived--the image, the music, they were jumping on a trend, sure, even though that is a great album. That said, STP/Weiland really grew as artists and found their niche.

You could also say "Ten" era Pearl Jam were contrived, I know Cobain thought so.
SlashRock
Rocker

G'N'F'n'R

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 03:21:09 PM »

/jarmo

I'm sorry but that's a crock of shit. Just because Weiland was part of the grunge scene doesn't mean he's a 'fake' because he's a punk rocker these days. That's ridiculous logic. People change. Back during Axl's 'Appetite' days he was regarded as a bad ass rock and roll singer. Nobody back then could have imagined him sat at a piano doing his Elton John thing. As an artist you shouldn't close yourself off to one style of music or else you'll just lose all artistic integrity.

'Excuse me whilst I kiss the sky!'
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 03:28:27 PM »

You could also say "Ten" era Pearl Jam were contrived, I know Cobain thought so.

Kurt said a lot of things in public that wasn't what he really believed or wanted.

I doubt that Kurt loved STP more than Pearl Jam.....

Where was Scott in 2003?

PJ have been doing what they do for years while playing live in USA and around the world. It's not like they did Temple Of The Dog in 2003 because their careers were dead.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 03:31:12 PM by jarmo » Logged

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2007, 03:29:44 PM »

I'm sorry but that's a crock of shit. Just because Weiland was part of the grunge scene doesn't mean he's a 'fake' because he's a punk rocker these days. That's ridiculous logic. People change. Back during Axl's 'Appetite' days he was regarded as a bad ass rock and roll singer. Nobody back then could have imagined him sat at a piano doing his Elton John thing. As an artist you shouldn't close yourself off to one style of music or else you'll just lose all artistic integrity.

Who brought up Axl?

Look, a VR fan with the word Slash in his username!

hihi

/jarmo

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2007, 03:32:48 PM »

As an artist you shouldn't close yourself off to one style of music or else you'll just lose all artistic integrity.

Agreed, I don't see how Eddie Vedder being "consistent" is a good thing... Pearl Jam has a very dedicated following, but the new music they are releasing has very little to do with that.

Scott may be the "the singer of the ex-gunners band" to Europeans on a GN'R board, but it isn't viewed that way in America. ?Scott is the reason this band is successful.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: