Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 03:28:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228017 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Scott Weiland and Eddie Vedder--the irony
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scott Weiland and Eddie Vedder--the irony  (Read 26346 times)
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2007, 12:12:17 PM »

10-4 Jarmo.  Weiland is much better on this album.  Messages has some really good lyrics. 

No he's not and the lyrics to messages suck, the only good thing in the song is the guitar...
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2007, 12:17:57 PM »

10-4 Jarmo.? Weiland is much better on this album.? Messages has some really good lyrics.?

No he's not and the lyrics to messages suck, the only good thing in the song is the guitar...

I thought they were okay at first too, but, how can you fuck up telling a story?  They tell a story, they are okay.  Better than "Fall To Pieces" or "Big Machine."
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2007, 12:25:08 PM »

10-4 Jarmo.  Weiland is much better on this album.  Messages has some really good lyrics. 

I thought it wasn't on the album.  Huh

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2007, 12:26:56 PM »

10-4 Jarmo.? Weiland is much better on this album.? Messages has some really good lyrics.?

I thought they were okay at first too, but, how can you fuck up telling a story?? They tell a story, they are okay.? Better than "Fall To Pieces" or "Big Machine."

I don't think the lyrics are bad, but honestly, at this point, I don't 100% get the story being told there. ?But, still, for me, the lead guitar work by Slash is what makes that song what it is.

Ali
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2007, 12:27:14 PM »

I thought it wasn't on the album.? Huh

/jarmo

Its on the US Deluxe Itunes version. But you can review it in a seperate post if you like. ?
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2007, 12:29:41 PM »

I thought they were okay at first too, but, how can you fuck up telling a story?? They tell a story, they are okay.? Better than "Fall To Pieces" or "Big Machine."

I don't think the lyrics are bad, but honestly, at this point, I don't 100% get the story being told there. ?But, still, for me, the lead guitar work by Slash is what makes that song what it is.

Ali

Its men on the plane knowing its gonna crash and they are going to die.  So they are calling family members having conversations with them.  He says he is sorry he yelled at his son, and he loves him. Says he loves his daughter but has to get off phone.  Says he hopes his wife will be happy with out him.  The demons and angles are fighting.  Basically, you would have to be the devil to do what happened on 9/11.  A very deep spiritual song.  Imagine how sad it would have to be to make that phone call.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2007, 12:39:04 PM »

Ali

Its men on the plane knowing its gonna crash and they are going to die.? So they are calling family members having conversations with them.? He says he is sorry he yelled at his son, and he loves him. Says he loves his daughter but has to get off phone.? Says he hopes his wife will be happy with out him.? The demons and angles are fighting.? Basically, you would have to be the devil to do what happened on 9/11.? A very deep spiritual song.? Imagine how sad it would have to be to make that phone call.

I got the gist of it, but the details are harder for me to pick up.  Yes, of course, that would've been beyond heartbreaking to make that call.

Still, while the story is poignant, the song itself is still elevated by Slash's guitar work, which enhances the emotional impact of the song at least 100 fold.

Ali
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2007, 12:44:34 PM »

I agree, with out Slash, the song is just okay.  With Slash, for me, it awesome.  He is something 99% of all bands everywhere will never have.  He has that it factor.  By far there thousands of better players technically, but what he writes and what he pours in his guitar is awesome!!

Ali

Its men on the plane knowing its gonna crash and they are going to die.? So they are calling family members having conversations with them.? He says he is sorry he yelled at his son, and he loves him. Says he loves his daughter but has to get off phone.? Says he hopes his wife will be happy with out him.? The demons and angles are fighting.? Basically, you would have to be the devil to do what happened on 9/11.? A very deep spiritual song.? Imagine how sad it would have to be to make that phone call.

I got the gist of it, but the details are harder for me to pick up.? Yes, of course, that would've been beyond heartbreaking to make that call.

Still, while the story is poignant, the song itself is still elevated by Slash's guitar work, which enhances the emotional impact of the song at least 100 fold.

Ali
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2007, 01:20:52 PM »

This is actually a very funny post.

Obviously, this poster didn't watch the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony where both Scott and Eddie were the ones who inducted  artists (REM and Van Halen).  But the difference is that Eddie inducted REM on his own, whereas Scott inducted Van Halen as a part of Velvet Revolver.

I do remember when Stone Temple Pilots came out.  I lived in LA at the time, and I distinctly remember "Sex Type Thing" only played on the hard rock/metal station.  KROQ initially ignored them.  It wasn't until the Pearl Jam-sounding "Plush" that KROQ started them in rotation.  In STP's defense, most of the designation had to do with the record label.  Grunge was hot, and they were a better sell as a grunge alternative band then a metal band. 

STP was smart.  They knew they had a better career with the alternative crowd so they changed their sound to meet the expectations.  They weren't the best of the genre...nor the worst.  Scott has continued to make smart choices with his career that has kept him relevant over 15 years later.

Eddie Vedder on the other hand isn't much different.  Remember Eddie isn't the original singer of Pearl Jam.  He was brought in after the death of Andrew.  Granted I think Eddie's role in the musical landscape is far more important than Scott's.  Pearl Jam and Nirvana founded a musical movement.  They are responsible for the 1000s of bands that followed in their wake (one of those bands being STP).  But being a career musician takes brains.  You can't just make good albums, you have to make smart business choices when it comes to your life outside of the band.  Eddie has been very visible and very vocal.  Whether you agree with him or not, he has made himself a prominent figure in rock because of his statements and stands.  Eddie Vedder is a name.  Like Bono, he is recognized outside his band.  My parents even know who he is and they hate Pearl Jam.  I don't know if they even know who Stone Temple Pilots are.

Pearl Jam's last album was considered one of the 20 best albums of 2006 by Rolling Stone.  Irrelevant bands don't tend to make the end of year lists by prominent music magazines.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2007, 01:26:12 PM »

Its men on the plane knowing its gonna crash and they are going to die.  So they are calling family members having conversations with them.  He says he is sorry he yelled at his son, and he loves him. Says he loves his daughter but has to get off phone.  Says he hopes his wife will be happy with out him.  The demons and angles are fighting.  Basically, you would have to be the devil to do what happened on 9/11.  A very deep spiritual song.  Imagine how sad it would have to be to make that phone call.

Lyrically, the song is not that good.  He took a story that's been heard on the news a million times, they even made a great movie about it.  He took that story and made the words rhyme.  I don't see how it's deep or spiritual to take a well known historical event and apply it to a song without adding any particular insight to it.  The lyrics are not very imaginative, he took the most obvious approach possible, a man who's about to die apologizing to his loved ones and wishing them well.  Setting these words to the backdrop of 9/11 does not make them any more imaginative or deep.   The lyrics are decent enough but they are not much more than decent.  There aren't really any memorable lines in that song.  Any emotional impact the lyrics have is related to evoking memories of a recent national tragedy moreso than the lyrics themselves
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 01:43:54 PM by ShotgunBlues1978 » Logged
Ali
Legend

« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2007, 01:26:40 PM »

This is actually a very funny post.

Obviously, this poster didn't watch the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony where both Scott and Eddie were the ones who inducted? artists (REM and Van Halen).? But the difference is that Eddie inducted REM on his own, whereas Scott inducted Van Halen as a part of Velvet Revolver.

I do remember when Stone Temple Pilots came out.? I lived in LA at the time, and I distinctly remember "Sex Type Thing" only played on the hard rock/metal station.? KROQ initially ignored them.? It wasn't until the Pearl Jam-sounding "Plush" that KROQ started them in rotation.? In STP's defense, most of the designation had to do with the record label.? Grunge was hot, and they were a better sell as a grunge alternative band then a metal band.?

STP was smart.? They knew they had a better career with the alternative crowd so they changed their sound to meet the expectations.? They weren't the best of the genre...nor the worst.? Scott has continued to make smart choices with his career that has kept him relevant over 15 years later.

Eddie Vedder on the other hand isn't much different.? Remember Eddie isn't the original singer of Pearl Jam.? He was brought in after the death of Andrew.? Granted I think Eddie's role in the musical landscape is far more important than Scott's.? Pearl Jam and Nirvana founded a musical movement.? They are responsible for the 1000s of bands that followed in their wake (one of those bands being STP).? But being a career musician takes brains.? You can't just make good albums, you have to make smart business choices when it comes to your life outside of the band.? Eddie has been very visible and very vocal.? Whether you agree with him or not, he has made himself a prominent figure in rock because of his statements and stands.? Eddie Vedder is a name.? Like Bono, he is recognized outside his band.? My parents even know who he is and they hate Pearl Jam.? I don't know if they even know who Stone Temple Pilots are.

Pearl Jam's last album was considered one of the 20 best albums of 2006 by Rolling Stone.? Irrelevant bands don't tend to make the end of year lists by prominent music magazines.

Andrew Wood was never the singer of Pearl Jam. ?He was the singer of Mother Love Bone, which featured Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard. ?Pearl Jam formed only after Andrew Wood died.

Ali
GeraldFord
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2007, 01:31:24 PM »

Pearl Jam's last album was considered one of the 20 best albums of 2006 by Rolling Stone.  Irrelevant bands don't tend to make the end of year lists by prominent music magazines.

RS sucks and has for years, so I don't put any weight in their opinions of "best of this and that." That said, the self-titled album was great.

acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2007, 01:38:27 PM »

Andrew Wood was never the singer of Pearl Jam.  He was the singer of Mother Love Bone, which featured Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard.  Pearl Jam formed only after Andrew Wood died.

Ali

MLB was huge in Seattle.  They had a major following.  When Wood died, the band carried on bringing Eddie into the fold with McCready as Mookie Blaylock.  My point is that the band had a built-in following prior to forming.  Wood was a dominant figure in the Seattle rock scene.  Some of my friends in Seattle consider his death as tragic as Cobain's.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
GeraldFord
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2007, 01:49:58 PM »

A little off topic, but Mother Love Bone were much less "grunge" sounding than any of their Seattle peers. They were like a cross between Jeferson Airplane and Aerosmith.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2007, 01:56:17 PM »

I don't consider Pearl Jam alternative at all.  They were classic rock to me.  Guitar solos and all. Nothing alternative about them except how they dress.  Their music could have easily been from 1978.  And thats not a bad thing!
Ali
Legend

« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2007, 01:57:31 PM »

Andrew Wood was never the singer of Pearl Jam.? He was the singer of Mother Love Bone, which featured Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard.? Pearl Jam formed only after Andrew Wood died.

Ali

MLB was huge in Seattle.? They had a major following.? When Wood died, the band carried on bringing Eddie into the fold with McCready as Mookie Blaylock.? My point is that the band had a built-in following prior to forming.? Wood was a dominant figure in the Seattle rock scene.? Some of my friends in Seattle consider his death as tragic as Cobain's.

That's not exactly the sequence of events I've heard, but that's how things ended up with Pearl Jam.

Ali
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2007, 03:16:48 PM »

-Mary Mary
-Plush
-Vasoline
-Big Bang Baby
-Sour Girl
-Slither
-Days of the Week

PJ never wrote a song as catchy as those.

I like STP a lot, but you have to be kidding me... ''Mary Mary''?  Huh

It's quite simple: take ''Spin The Black Circle'' and ''Even Flow'', and those two songs beat the fuck out of all the VR/STP rockers together. Secondly, where are the ''Alive'', ''Jeremy'', ''Oceans'', ''Black'', ''Why Go'' in the STP/VR discography?

''Slither'' is a great track, but NOT because of its lyrics or its vocals...

There's nothing to compare here: Eddie Vedder is not only a better singer, he's a better performer, songwritter and he leads a band better than any Scott has leaded or leads. Pearl Jam is a heavyweight band. STP is in another league, and VR is even in another league respect STP.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
GeraldFord
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2007, 03:22:20 PM »

I don?t agree. I think Weiland is a more versatile singer?capable of the low baritone (Dead and Bloated) and he has the pipes for hitting the high notes (Trippen? on a hole in a paper heart).? ?

STP>VR>PJ. IMHO.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2007, 03:29:38 PM »

STP>VR>PJ. IMHO.

''Ten'' (Epic) [1991] > (STP + VR)

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
chinese democrazy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2007, 03:34:55 PM »

its all matter of opinion, but I agree with you estebanf about them being in different leagues. I just believe weiland's stage presense, diverse vocal abilities, melodies blow vedder's constant vibrato out of the water. To add insult to injury, if plush is the song that sounds like vedder, than scott does vedder better than eddie does himself haha.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: