Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:52:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Richard Fortus Features On Lapush's All the Lost Souls from Modern Blues
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Richard Fortus Features On Lapush's All the Lost Souls from Modern Blues  (Read 1089 times)
anythinggoes
« on: July 05, 2007, 06:43:40 PM »

For LaPush, it seems like Modern Blues sounds a lot like modern rock. Of course, the title of the trio's latest EP doesn't refer to the musical genre, but to the feeling of loss, heartbreak and bereavement. This can lead bands to write dreary, sad-sack mopers ? or, in the case of LaPush, turn the hurt into something grand and uplifting. Singer and guitarist Thom Donovan wrote the album-opening "Closer" after the death of his father, and it's as good of a send-off as anyone could want: The spacey guitar atmospherics and the alternately sad and hopeful lyrics are enough to bring a tear to the eye of a hard-hearted cynic.

Most band-produced albums don't sound this good; the EP is slick without being overproduced, and the studio flourishes are used in tasteful moderation (though the high-pitched, power-drill guitar solo in the plodding "I'll Leave the Light On" should have been axed). The pace picks up with "Brazil," a fuzzy, stomping slice of glam-rock that gives the band a chance to unload a little bit. LaPush's penchant for the grandiose is in full bloom on the last track, the existential, weighty "All the Lost Souls." Scattered rhythms leave room in the verses, and the gaps are plugged by plinking Fender Rhodes, compliments of guest Adam Maness (the song also features some earthy cello work from St. Louis native Richard Fortus, currently of Guns N' Roses). It's a proper closing track for a band caught between the vagaries of adult life and the eternal youth of rock & roll.

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/2007-07-04/music/local-motion-lapush

I dont think this has ben posted before and i did do a search but sorry if its old news
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 07:15:30 PM »

the song also features some earthy cello work from St. Louis native Richard Fortus, currently of Guns N' Roses
RICHARD PLAYED THE CELLO ON TOMMY'S VILLAGE GORILLA HEAD, TOO!!!

I played bass and guitar on everything, but Richard Fortus played additional guitars on tracks 2, 8, and 10 and Dave Philips played on track 3 as well as adding some pedal steelRichard also played cello, and Josh's brother Jason Freese played saxophone on tracks 7 and 10.
end quote
THAT'S SOOOOOOOO FUCKIN' CLASSY!!! headbanger

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 07:32:50 PM »

I'd actually like to hear a clip of Richard playing Chello. I tried to play it once, I got pissed off at it. Then again, I was in 7th grade.

One half of Rock n' Rolls Cheech & Chong.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: