Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 11:58:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Libertad debuts well below Contraband
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Libertad debuts well below Contraband  (Read 89797 times)
GeraldFord
« Reply #560 on: August 31, 2007, 01:13:09 PM »

Well, it's been out nearly two months and it's still in the top 100. A slow but steady seller? Maybe more touring and a few more singles will help.

An opening gig for the new Van Halen tour would be sweet.
BurningHills
Legend

Resurrection Joe

« Reply #561 on: August 31, 2007, 01:25:43 PM »

Well, it's been out nearly two months and it's still in the top 100. A slow but steady seller? Maybe more touring and a few more singles will help.

An opening gig for the new Van Halen tour would be sweet.

Poison and RATT sold better here in Scranton that VR did.

Just sayin'.

05.15.06 - Hammerstein Ballroom - New York, NY
11.10.06 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY
11.20.11 - Mohegan Sun Arena - Wilkes-Barre, PA
02.27.12 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #562 on: August 31, 2007, 05:40:08 PM »

I really wish that a good video liket his along witha  great song could allow them to be more popular and open some eyes to good rock music without fancy shit.. Shame their age and the stupidity of kids won't allow that, but at least I I I I IIII can enjoy it each day.. smoking beer
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #563 on: August 31, 2007, 06:05:59 PM »

I really wish that a good video liket his along witha  great song could allow them to be more popular and open some eyes to good rock music without fancy shit.. Shame their age and the stupidity of kids won't allow that, but at least I I I I IIII can enjoy it each day.. smoking beer

Currently Libertad has sold about 10% as many copies as Contraband.  So what do you think happened to the other 90% in the last 3 years? 
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #564 on: August 31, 2007, 06:54:38 PM »

I think it'll pick up a bit now with the new brilliant single and video.

That actually depends on what people think of a brilliant video.

If you ask me, it's not a "brilliant" video. The song is good but the video sucks.

well, I didn't ask you, and I say let us not have personal feelings get in the way of a brilliant video!

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #565 on: September 01, 2007, 02:32:06 AM »

If you ask me, it's not a "brilliant" video. The song is good but the video sucks.

well, I didn't ask you, and I say let us not have personal feelings get in the way of a brilliant video!

Ok. Enjoy that brilliant video.

I'll let my "personal feelings" get in the way...  confused

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #566 on: September 01, 2007, 08:09:37 AM »

So your objective opinion is that Last Fight is a brilliant video?

How would you rate something like Michael Jackson's "Thriller" then?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GeraldFord
« Reply #567 on: September 01, 2007, 09:43:02 AM »

I really wish that a good video liket his along witha? great song could allow them to be more popular and open some eyes to good rock music without fancy shit.. Shame their age and the stupidity of kids won't allow that, but at least I I I I IIII can enjoy it each day.. smoking beer

Currently Libertad has sold about 10% as many copies as Contraband.? So what do you think happened to the other 90% in the last 3 years??

This isn't a diss or anything, but why are you so interested in VR's shortcomings? You almost seem to revel in the fact that VR's new CD has flopped.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #568 on: September 01, 2007, 10:55:14 AM »

I really wish that a good video liket his along witha? great song could allow them to be more popular and open some eyes to good rock music without fancy shit.. Shame their age and the stupidity of kids won't allow that, but at least I I I I IIII can enjoy it each day.. smoking beer

Currently Libertad has sold about 10% as many copies as Contraband.? So what do you think happened to the other 90% in the last 3 years??

This isn't a diss or anything, but why are you so interested in VR's shortcomings? You almost seem to revel in the fact that VR's new CD has flopped.

I think it's a farily common feeling around here - Not so much than anyone really wishes the band fails or for Slash & Duff to experience dissapointment , but rather because of Weiland and his big mouth - for me I find it really funny that he was making jokes about Chinese Democracy's sales figures -  yes
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #569 on: September 01, 2007, 01:35:10 PM »

Currently Libertad has sold about 10% as many copies as Contraband.  So what do you think happened to the other 90% in the last 3 years? 

For one it's pretty funny that Scott was talking about how he said it was more likely for Nick Lachey to make the R&R Hall of Fame than it was for Chinese Democracy to go platinum then watching Libertad flop the way it did.  Ironic anyway

For two, Libertad was a huge disappointment musically from my standpoint, and maybe its failure will serve as a wakeup call for Slash and Duff.  It's not like they're hurting for money so this album flopping isn't going to keep them from paying their bills or anything.  I think that they tried way too hard to play a role, to cater to record execs and radio stations with Libertad and in the end it backfired.  I remember back when they were talking about doing songs with Pharell and what not, I thought they left GnR because they just wanted to make meat and potatoes ass kicking rock and not Axl's vision of epic, industrial influenced prog-rock.  But here we are and they're talking about making concept albums and working with rap producers, then they end up making pop rock albums with alternative producers who produced a bunch of albums for bands they didn't even like.  So maybe they'll remember what they initially set out to do with VR and get back to doing what they do best
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #570 on: September 01, 2007, 02:54:31 PM »

I think it's a farily common feeling around here - Not so much than anyone really wishes the band fails or for Slash & Duff to experience dissapointment , :

I think there's quite a few who actually do wish Slash, Duff et al the worst and are sincerely/absolutely ecstatic that Libertad hasn't done well.

Same feeling will rear its ugly head from the other side when their former bandmate releases his record, sharks will gather no matter what happens good or bad.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 02:56:09 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
darkdays_01
« Reply #571 on: September 01, 2007, 04:17:48 PM »

I think it's a farily common feeling around here - Not so much than anyone really wishes the band fails or for Slash & Duff to experience dissapointment , :

I think there's quite a few who actually do wish Slash, Duff et al the worst and are sincerely/absolutely ecstatic that Libertad hasn't done well.

Same feeling will rear its ugly head from the other side when their former bandmate releases his record, sharks will gather no matter what happens good or bad.

Yeah and the main one is the one who runs the board your a mod for unfortunately. But your right. I like both bands, it is a shame the old guys get so much slack around here.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #572 on: September 01, 2007, 04:34:52 PM »

Yeah and the main one is the one who runs the board your a mod for unfortunately. But your right. I like both bands, it is a shame the old guys get so much slack around here.
It goes both ways, Axl and the new guys don't get their just desserts either.  I'm a fan of both bands too, but it seems like the popular thing to do is like one and hate the other for some reason.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #573 on: September 01, 2007, 04:53:54 PM »

Main one?

Slash and Duff have had albums out before Libertad that didn't sell well.

You can't really call the Loaded album a big seller.

It doesn't affect me in any way.

With this band all I see is a big marketing machine and nothing to back it up. Bland music and clich?s used to sell it.

I'm sorry that I'm not like you who can be happy and ecstatic about being told how fucking great the music is while it does absolutely nothing for me.

You're the ones who used Contraband's sales as proof that Slash and Duff can make it without Axl.

That shit only worked once. Now the hype is gone, the fans know what VR is about so the surprise element is gone too. Now it's time for the music to do the talking and it's very quiet.

Once again, it's all about those of us who stopped buying this thing ages ago. It's never about the music not being good enough.

Just like every time something even remotely bad (no matter how truthful it is) is said about your beloved VR, some of you try to make it about Axl and GN'R.

So don't give me the crap about me being happy whether or not these guys sell 10 or 10000000 cds. I don't care.

How many of you are secretly hoping for Axl to fail so you can laugh?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
darth monkey
Beware: Can outwit all of you!
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #574 on: September 01, 2007, 04:57:43 PM »

I hope Axl won't fail but he will. Record sales will probably be decent just because of the old GNR name, not because of the members  of the band and they're wonderful shredding, emotionless guitar playing.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #575 on: September 01, 2007, 04:59:59 PM »

I hope Axl won't fail but he will. Record sales will probably be decent just because of the old GNR name, not because of the members  of the band and they're wonderful shredding, emotionless guitar playing.

You guys are sure winners already.

If CD doesn't sell 100 000 000 copies, you consider it a failure. If it sells 100 000 000, it's only because of the name and not because the songs are actually quality material.

/jarmo

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #576 on: September 01, 2007, 05:01:09 PM »

How can you call the guitar work emotionless?  Huh
madagas
« Reply #577 on: September 01, 2007, 05:23:09 PM »

people who live in glass houses should not throw stones....VR does nothing for me but at least they actually release music. Maybe uninspired music but at least they gave it a shot.....1 officially released, original studio song in 16 years is not even giving it a shot. Undecided I hope that changes soon but the silence is deafening. Tongue
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #578 on: September 01, 2007, 05:49:32 PM »

people who live in glass houses should not throw stones....VR does nothing for me but at least they actually release music. Maybe uninspired music but at least they gave it a shot.....1 officially released, original studio song in 16 years is not even giving it a shot. Undecided I hope that changes soon but the silence is deafening. Tongue

David Hasselhoff releases music too.

HOORAY!!!

/jarmo

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #579 on: September 01, 2007, 06:26:46 PM »

You're the ones who used Contraband's sales as proof that Slash and Duff can make it without Axl.

That's the something I've noticed too.  A lot of people the same people who said VR's double platinum sales and Grammy award validated them are now saying record sales don't mean anything.  All I'm saying is don't bring up record sales or high charting singles as a measurement of success and quality when they're going double platinum, then turn around and say sales don't mean anything when the album flops. 
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: