Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 12:39:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  If Weiland ever left VR for any reason
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: If Weiland ever left VR for any reason  (Read 17548 times)
dont_damn_me
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2007, 12:20:54 AM »

Am I crazy or did Slash or someone in VR throw out Courtney Love's name as a possibility when VR was getting started?? That probably would have been a recipe for disaster but could have been very interesting while it lasted.

Your not crazy.....I remember hearing that too and it would have been great!! Courtney may be a big bitch, but she's got alot of cool songs... her solo album is good too, some real sick hard rockers on it!  She sings with alot of emotion and writes great lyrics and riffs.  I'd welcome Courtney to VR anyday! Don't think VR would be too into that though!
hellfirecan
Headliner

My dog dreaming is running...

« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2007, 08:01:24 AM »

Izzy would be a great fit...but he doesn't have the desire to tour and promote like the other guys.  When Duff, Slash and Matt were jamming before VR came to be, Izzy had suggested they go out and do a small tour with the songs they had written (which Slash says is some of the best stuff the group had ever written together...shame it hasn't been released yet) with Izzy and Duff singing.  Duff and Slash didn't like that idea and it never came to be.
Todd Kearns I have seen in concert before.  He tried out for VR...but I think he sounded "too much like Axl" during the audition.  At least that is what he told the audience...

CSS
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2007, 10:18:09 AM »

I'm happy with Scott Weiland.

But if they choose to do another project (not Velvet Revolver, obviously) I'd love to see something with either Lemmy or Dave Grohl.

Nothing other than that? Well, some random guy/girl would work if they found someone who can do a proper job.
slashvr86
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2007, 10:24:38 AM »

i would love to hear a back to their roots album, would be sick!
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2007, 10:42:19 AM »

Izzy would be a great fit...but he doesn't have the desire to tour and promote like the other guys.? When Duff, Slash and Matt were jamming before VR came to be, Izzy had suggested they go out and do a small tour with the songs they had written (which Slash says is some of the best stuff the group had ever written together...shame it hasn't been released yet) with Izzy and Duff singing.? Duff and Slash didn't like that idea and it never came to be.
Todd Kearns I have seen in concert before.? He tried out for VR...but I think he sounded "too much like Axl" during the audition.? At least that is what he told the audience...

Didn't I also read somewhere that Scott came in and HATED that stuff they wrote with Izzy?  I think he compared it to Bad Company or somebody outdated like that.  I would be interested to hear the Izzy stuff, especially considering how unexcited I am about the songs Scott apparently likes.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2007, 01:51:12 PM »

Didn't I also read somewhere that Scott came in and HATED that stuff they wrote with Izzy?? I think he compared it to Bad Company or somebody outdated like that.? I would be interested to hear the Izzy stuff, especially considering how unexcited I am about the songs Scott apparently likes.

yeah, i read that too ok
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2007, 04:24:34 PM »

Izzy would be a great fit...but he doesn't have the desire to tour and promote like the other guys.? When Duff, Slash and Matt were jamming before VR came to be, Izzy had suggested they go out and do a small tour with the songs they had written (which Slash says is some of the best stuff the group had ever written together...shame it hasn't been released yet) with Izzy and Duff singing.? Duff and Slash didn't like that idea and it never came to be.
Todd Kearns I have seen in concert before.? He tried out for VR...but I think he sounded "too much like Axl" during the audition.? At least that is what he told the audience...

Didn't I also read somewhere that Scott came in and HATED that stuff they wrote with Izzy?? I think he compared it to Bad Company or somebody outdated like that.? I would be interested to hear the Izzy stuff, especially considering how unexcited I am about the songs Scott apparently likes.

Yeah when Contraband came out Slash said in an interview that he thought then songs they had written with Izzy before Scott was in the picture were the best songs they had ever written together but in the rolling stone interview after Libertad came out Scott said something along the lines of "it sounded like a Bad version of bad company". I have a hard time believing this, seeing as how Izzy is an undeniably talented song writer. Not to mention the Deleos were responsible for writing almost all of the music in STP, especially the hits and Scott's solo album is complete garbage. I like Scott as a performer but I think he comes off as a prrick a lot of the time and this was probably one of them where he didn't want to use the songs for no other reason than Izzy helped write them.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
hellfirecan
Headliner

« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2007, 04:26:33 PM »

From what I remember reading...he thought it sounded too much like old GnR.  My thoughts are the material was too good and didn't have his imprint on it.  I like VR as it is now...but I think I would have liked the incarnation with Izzy in it better.  Yeah the harmonies wouldn't be as polished as with Scott...but it would be a better product over all in the end. 

well that is just my opinion...

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2007, 04:31:22 PM »

Yeah when Contraband came out Slash said in an interview that he thought then songs they had written with Izzy before Scott was in the picture were the best songs they had ever written together but in the rolling stone interview after Libertad came out Scott said something along the lines of "it sounded like a Bad version of bad company". I have a hard time believing this, seeing as how Izzy is an undeniably talented song writer. Not to mention the Deleos were responsible for writing almost all of the music in STP, especially the hits and Scott's solo album is complete garbage. I like Scott as a performer but I think he comes off as a prrick a lot of the time and this was probably one of them where he didn't want to use the songs for no other reason than Izzy helped write them.

Not only did Slash say that, but he also said that the songs written with Izzy, had they had Axl's input on, they would've resulted in the best GN'R record ever.

I remember when Scott said that I asked someone in a thread about that interview a simple question, "How many songs have you heard that Izzy has written with Slash and Duff that you would classify as that bad?"  That says it all about the likelihood of Scott's opinion of the material being remotely close to what us GN'R fans would think of the material.

Gotta say that Scott is good frontman with a good voice, but he is just not in Izzy's league as a songwriter.

Ali
hellfirecan
Headliner

« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2007, 09:08:36 PM »

Gotta say that Scott is good frontman with a good voice, but he is just not in Izzy's league as a songwriter.

I think most everyone can agree with the impact and influence Izzy had on GnR and Axl's writing.  He is a great songwriter.  It would have been nice to see what he could have done with Duff and Slash again...but I doubt we ever will see that again.  And we can only hope that one day the material they recorded will be released...
I would even like to see Izzy try writing with Axl again.  Because man they came up with some good shit.

Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2007, 09:33:26 PM »

Bach or Izzy.
darkdays_01
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2007, 09:40:08 PM »

But if they choose to do another project (not Velvet Revolver, obviously) I'd love to see something with either Lemmy or Dave Grohl.

Nothing other than that? Well, some random guy/girl would work if they found someone who can do a proper job.

Now that would be cool. I cant even imagine a band with Duff, Slash and Dave Grohl together. That would rock, throw Taylor Hawkins in on drums and that would be one killer band.

I do see somewhere down the road, Duff, Izzy and Slash doing something. I think it would be cool to see them three get together and just let Duff and Izzy do vocals. Some of the Camp Freddy vidoes on Youtube are great, those three just have a good vibe when they all play together.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 09:44:07 PM by darkdays_01 » Logged
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2007, 10:12:15 PM »

Now that would be cool. I cant even imagine a band with Duff, Slash and Dave Grohl together. That would rock, throw Taylor Hawkins in on drums and that would be one killer band.

I do see somewhere down the road, Duff, Izzy and Slash doing something. I think it would be cool to see them three get together and just let Duff and Izzy do vocals. Some of the Camp Freddy vidoes on Youtube are great, those three just have a good vibe when they all play together.

they would be much better if they ditched sorum and got someone with rhythm.
snakepiter
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2007, 11:45:31 PM »

that's true sorum out......

pro old gnr
pro new gnr
pro vr
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2007, 01:56:51 PM »

they would be much better if they ditched sorum and got someone with rhythm.

well she mentioned hawkins ok
martyngnr
Headliner

« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2007, 02:36:04 PM »

Not only did Slash say that, but he also said that the songs written with Izzy, had they had Axl's input on, they would've resulted in the best GN'R record ever.

I remember when Scott said that I asked someone in a thread about that interview a simple question, "How many songs have you heard that Izzy has written with Slash and Duff that you would classify as that bad?"? That says it all about the likelihood of Scott's opinion of the material being remotely close to what us GN'R fans would think of the material.

Ali

Couldn't agree more. Izzy probably is the best songwriter out of ANYONE who is in/has been in GNR in solo terms.

Weiland is a good rock singer. Nothing more nothing less. His lyric writing isn't the best but occasionally he hits the mark.

"I read the internet......I know what's going on!"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: