Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 10:48:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Will VR always be tied to GNR?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will VR always be tied to GNR?  (Read 6902 times)
JimBobTTD
Rocker

« on: November 05, 2007, 04:28:53 PM »

Will Velvet Revolver ever be able to exist without Guns N Roses being mentioned? It is always VR, "featuring former members of Guns N Roses..."
Will Slash ever be Slash, or will he always be "Slash, former guitarist in Guns N Roses"?

It is understood that Guns N Roses were groundbreaking, and that the former GNR members in VR were a huge part of that. Velvet Revolver will never be as big or "important" as GNR, but then no band will be. Is VR the victim of its members' former success?
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 04:32:05 PM »

Will Velvet Revolver ever be able to exist without Guns N Roses being mentioned? It is always VR, "featuring former members of Guns N Roses..."
Will Slash ever be Slash, or will he always be "Slash, former guitarist in Guns N Roses"?

It is understood that Guns N Roses were groundbreaking, and that the former GNR members in VR were a huge part of that. Velvet Revolver will never be as big or "important" as GNR, but then no band will be. Is VR the victim of its members' former success?

My answers in order:  no, Slash from GNR, yes

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 04:40:57 PM »

Slash will always be associated with two things: GN'R and top hats.

So obviously his bands will always be compared to GN'R.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 05:02:27 PM »

My answers in order:? no, Slash from GNR, yes

agree 100% with all three
Billo
VIP

"soon" is the word....SOON :)

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 06:29:24 PM »

I think they will allways be asked about guns because they were a important part of there success with GNR but i think once CD comes out and people get used to the new band people will be able to move on.. beer

If u love guns the wait it allmost over..HEHE
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 06:31:26 PM »

I think they will allways be asked about guns because they were a important part of there success with GNR but i think once CD comes out and people get used to the new band people will be able to move on.. beer

move on yes, but fans and journalists will still ask questions about it.. i'm interresting to hear what the new members will say about VR when they are asked
Gunner101
Opening Act

gnrevolution.com

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 06:38:30 PM »

/jarmo

You forgot something along the lines of great guitarist and the best that the band Guns N' Roses ever had.  ok

gnrevolution.com
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 07:24:28 PM »

/jarmo

You forgot something along the lines of great guitarist and the best that the band Guns N' Roses ever had.  ok

No I didn't.

I know, you're trying to be funny at the expense of GN'R. It's not working.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Gunner101
Opening Act

gnrevolution.com

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 07:25:45 PM »

/jarmo

No I didn't.

I know, you're trying to be funny at the expense of GN'R. It's not working.

/jarmo

Actually I wasn't being "funny". I just wanted to add to the list of things that I know he will be remembered for. Simple as that bro.

gnrevolution.com
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 08:02:36 PM »

The GNR association (and STP to a lesser degree) will never be far from the conversation in regards to VR.

Same stuff will come to the fore when CD is released.  This version of GNR vs other incarnations of the band and to VR, it's inevitable.

The success was too massive, imagery was too strong for either to ever escape.

Simple as that.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
gcluskey
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 08:57:50 PM »

Yes of course VR will always be tied to GnR, I love VR but these guys' greatest work was with GnR...even if they were fucked out of their brains for most of it

With your piss flaps flappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nuthin' done...
CSS
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 08:26:35 AM »

Yes, that's pretty much a given.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 10:31:03 AM by Falcon » Logged
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 11:15:43 AM »

I for one hope VR or its likes(bands tied to their former bands) can get rid of the title of "former so and so" one day.
No one but few yardbirds diehards call jimmy page, eric clapton, or jeff beck "former yardbirds" nowadays.
they made it by doing significant works without relying on their yardbirds  fame after they left the band.

Has VR won fans who weren't GNR fans or stp fans, I wonder.

(@ falcon I edited the opptopic bit myself hihi)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 01:01:34 PM »

A bit of a difference with the 3 mentioned above.

All 3 later projects eclipsed their Yardbirds fame.? Page with Zep and Beck and Clapton solo.

None of the involved from either camp, (VR or this version of GNR) will ever eclipse the fame/success they had with GNR's earlier encarnations.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 01:09:33 PM »

Good point about the Yardbirds, both Falcon and ppbebe.

What about The Beatles? Ignoring the solo stuff (that doesn't fit into this discussion), how was Wings presented? The Traveling Wilburys? The former was before my time and the latter was really not my cup of tea back then.

A more modern example would be that guy from Busted. He joined or started another band, and that band is always stated as having him in it. Yeah...I know...I'm killing you with details here! I can't remember the name of the new band nor the name of the guy from Busted. Haven't heard either bands' music either, so they may not even be in the same genre.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 01:44:54 PM »

A bit of a difference with the 3 mentioned above.

All 3 later projects eclipsed their Yardbirds fame.  Page with Zep and Beck and Clapton solo.

None of the involved from either camp, (VR or this version of GNR) will ever eclipse the fame/success they had with GNR's earlier encarnations.

Who knows? At least this version of GNR is stedly getting new fans. I believe CD(s) will stub it.

as for the beatles well some real timers may always remember them for their mushroom hair and their early pop tunes like help, yeaterday, or Mr.postman but we know their pinnacle is sgt peppers.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 01:46:56 PM »

Yes, they will always be associated with GNR.

They do everything they can to be associated: the VR name, the GNR covers, the ''you wanted the best...'' intro, the content of the interviews they do, their publicity, everything.

They know the associaction with GNR it's essential.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 02:00:27 PM »

Who knows?

No one really, just educated speculation. ?I've always been of the mind none of the members (either still in or out) of GNR will ever reach the pinnacles of success they had in their earlier days. ? I think those times are long gone and it's just silly for even a fan(atic) to even expect.

At least this version of GNR is stedly getting new fans.

There's really no empiracle/quantifiable evidence to prove that. ?Same for VR, we have absolutely no data to guage new fandom as opposed to those who are only around/interested for their past bands.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 02:10:08 PM »

For instance, warose and myself are the living proof. hihi

I liked some of the GNR oldies but it was when I heard chinese democracy that I really got into GNR.

Is there anyone who became a diehard of vr when they heard slither or any vr song?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 02:20:21 PM »

Is there anyone who became a diehard of vr when they heard slither or any vr song?

"Slither" sold me on the idea of a band with a separate identity but The Project/VR was brought to my attention based on their prior associations.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: