Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:18:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Is God real / fake?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is God real / fake?  (Read 19034 times)
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2007, 09:06:27 PM »

If there is a god, then he/she/it is a petty tyrant that gets their jolly from the suffering of their own followers for minor infractions. No thanks, he/she/it ain't for me.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
SLCPUNK
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2007, 09:23:34 PM »

But is that gawd, or some dopes version of it?
Kasanova King
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2007, 12:57:43 AM »

If you don't believe in God then you deny your own existence.  God is everyhwere and is everything.  There is no beginning, there is no end...it's something we as humans cannot comprehend...eternity....the universe...think for a second...how do you explain it....you can't.

-KK
SLCPUNK
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2007, 01:10:36 AM »

I gotta tell ya, that didn't really sell me.
Kasanova King
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2007, 01:30:16 AM »

I'm not a preacher nor am I trying to sell you on anything....just use your mind for a second...stop thinking in just black & white...

Do yourself a favor and google: the universe....it's overwhelming, beyond human comprehension...to me it's as simple (or complex) as that.

Find me a scientist, astronomist, doctor, genius, or anyone who can explain in common words the meaning of infinity....you can't, noone can, and that's the same thing about trying to get someone to explain God.

-KK
Bobarcord
On The Steps of The Cathedral
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2007, 01:42:33 AM »

I sure one day one will be able to explain infinity for you in layman terms. you just might have to wait a will.

It is funny that many ,many years ago ancient Greeks ,ect held their books up to be the words of gods . Now we sit in a classroom and chuckle at the stories. Will that be how it is for the bible in a few hundred year?

CD will be out when it's out. ....
Kasanova King
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2007, 02:09:14 AM »

I sure one day one will be able to explain infinity for you in layman terms. you just might have to wait a will.

It is funny that many ,many years ago ancient Greeks ,ect held their books up to be the words of gods . Now we sit in a classroom and chuckle at the stories. Will that be how it is for the bible in a few hundred year?

You can't explain it in scientific terms either...and when I mean explain, actually understand how it works, not just some wiklepedia defenition.

I actually thought about that the other day while I was driving and I came to the conclusion that would be unlikely.  Most of the current religions have been around for thousands of years, not hundreds so in order for that to take place it would probably take alot longer.  Personally I feel that there will be a major event that occurs within the century that will answer all of our questions.

-KK
Bobarcord
On The Steps of The Cathedral
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2007, 02:11:57 AM »

You may be right about an event of major proportions happen that will explain things. But it also may cause even more deeper questions that will not have an answer to spring up.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 02:17:09 AM by Bobarcord » Logged

CD will be out when it's out. ....
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2007, 06:40:29 AM »

Ha, me neither. I always love the 'you have to open your mind' bit.....

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2007, 06:46:46 AM »

I shouldn't do this, but ...

think for a second...how do you explain it....you can't.

Of course not, how does one explain something that does not exist.

Find me a scientist, astronomist, doctor, genius, or anyone who can explain in common words the meaning of infinity....you can't, noone can, and that's the same thing about trying to get someone to explain God.

Maybe a lack of undestanding is why you can't accept:

The limit of f(x) as x approaches ∞ ?= x?. It has been a long time, but graph that and see what comes up. I think that will give you something infinitly large.

Similarly, infinitly small can also be obtained, i.e. take the nuber one and divide it into 10 parts; take one of those parts and do it again; now do that an infinit amout of times ... viola! that is infinitly small. Your lack of knowledge doesn't mean that knowledge doesn't exsist.

. Most of the current religions have been around for thousands of years, not hundreds so in order for that to take place it would probably take alot longer.
That is a false analogy, and therefore irrelevant. There is an old idiom "if you tell someone something long enough, they will believe it". Well, religion has been told for atleast 60,000 years.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2007, 07:27:52 AM »

I'm not a preacher nor am I trying to sell you on anything....just use your mind for a second...stop thinking in just black & white...

Do yourself a favor and google: the universe....it's overwhelming, beyond human comprehension...to me it's as simple (or complex) as that.

No offence dude, but that's a load of cack.? The simple fact that we cannot explain something does not make it the work of God.

Arthur C Clarke famously said (I'm paraphrasing) "Any sufficiently advanced technology will appear indistinguishable from magic".? In this case, you're suggesting that the "magic" is God.? ?We've seen plenty of real world examples of this.? ?There was a show on discovery recently about a kid who was brought over from Africa to the US for an operation.? ?This kid lives in a grass hut and walks 3 milies to get water each day.? No, there are no TVs or electricity.? ? To him - the automatic doors in the US were just like magic.? The way that they "knew" that they were there showed that they were intelligent.? ?So by your reasoning, the doors actually ARE magic.?

You're COMPLETELY confusing your desire to believe in God with proof and or reason for the existence of God.? ?You have every right to believe in God, but you should do yourself a favour and at least understand WHY you believe in God.

I will help you get started.? ?In all likelihood, You believe in your God because someone told you to.? You were born into the religion or you converted to it based on direct contact with others that helped "save" you.? ?You have no way of knowing that your religion is right, but you base a significant portion of your life on it.? ?And had you been born in the Middle East, you would have unquestionably been a Muslim, although today you believe that they're wrong and you're right, based on a distinct and clear lack of any evidence whatsoever to the contrary.? ?Faith is belief in the absence of proof.? ?Whether it's God, the tooth fairy or the boogeyman.? ?They're all on an equal footing, but you choose to believe in God but not the tooth fairy of boogeyman.? ?That's faith, that's what you have.

And Christianity teaches us that the other religions are all wrong, so your "thousands of years" point works against you.? ?Sure, for thousands of years people have been worshipping God, but they were worshipping false Gods and are now in Hell right?? And you ARE aware of the origins of the NT right?? ?How it was assembled?? The history of the individual books??

The bottom line is that organized religion is nothing more than a glorified popularity contest that teaches people how to be intolerant.?

And finally - infinity IS something that we can explain.  I think you're trying to infer that we cannot explain the origin of the universe and somehow confusing that with infinity.   As a concept, infinity is very well known.

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2007, 09:41:26 AM »

I shouldn't do this, but ...

think for a second...how do you explain it....you can't.

Of course not, how does one explain something that does not exist.

Not being able to explain something does not mean it does not exist. Doing so is arrogance in it's purest form.

Maybe a lack of undestanding is why you can't accept:

The limit of f(x) as x approaches ∞  = x?. It has been a long time, but graph that and see what comes up. I think that will give you something infinitly large.

Similarly, infinitly small can also be obtained, i.e. take the nuber one and divide it into 10 parts; take one of those parts and do it again; now do that an infinit amout of times ... viola! that is infinitly small. Your lack of knowledge doesn't mean that knowledge doesn't exsist.

We can calculate it, but we can't understand it. Big difference.

That is a false analogy, and therefore irrelevant. There is an old idiom "if you tell someone something long enough, they will believe it". Well, religion has been told for atleast 60,000 years.

Some call it religion, I call it early history. Sure, it has been tainted over the years, you're idiom suggests that. That however does not mean it isn't based on some sort of truth.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2007, 10:11:54 AM »

Not being able to explain something does not mean it does not exist. Doing so is arrogance in it's purest form.

Of course. That was a little sarcasm. Not being able to explain something that does exist is entirely different from trying to explain something that doesn't.

It is a concept that some do understand

Some call it religion, I call it early history. Sure, it has been tainted over the years, you're idiom suggests that. That however does not mean it isn't based on some sort of truth.

There is a history of the rituals, but I don't think many will find any truth in the "Cave Bear Cult".

polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2007, 10:28:31 AM »

It is a concept that some do understand

Disagree. They may think they do though. No way of knowing really. I don't think we're meant to grasp it, only utilize it.

There is a history of the rituals, but I don't think many will find any truth in the "Cave Bear Cult".

Probably not, but there are a lot of truths in ancient mythology, which science simply waves off as fantasy. Some fantasy I say. Collective fantasy even.

fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2007, 10:49:28 AM »

Religion was a means of explanation for the surroundings in archaic societies, and it served it's purpose well ... then.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2007, 01:29:53 PM »

Arrogance in it's purest form
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2007, 02:25:18 PM »

Religion was a means of explanation for the surroundings in archaic societies, and it served it's purpose well ... then.

It goes beyond that. Highly sophisticated knowledge are present in those texts and the societies that wrote/utilized them. It's not a bunch of nomads trying to explain thunder by some god in the sky. That came afterwards.

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2007, 03:22:30 PM »

This could be an interesting thread, although I hope it doesn't degenerate into flame wars as I have seen these kinds of threads do on other boards.

So what do yo reckon?

Myself well I don't think so. I'm just one of those minded people who need some sort of verification before I believe the words in an old book of "events" written by a bunch of people who were going by what they heard, not what they saw for themselves.

I have a close mate who is very religious, he is studying to be a christian pastor. I laugh every time he tells me how all the stories in the old testament are fact, like Noah getting 2 of every species in the world on that ark? rofl, or Jonah living in the belly of that whale.

So what do y'all reckon?

I think Gods and religion add some value to society.

If someone close passes away, it is good to think that they have gone to a better place.

I am not a religious person though.
crazycheryl
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2007, 03:23:13 PM »

The reason people are so doubtful these days is because of all the new information we have learned about how we evolved and how our brain works. Also, people now go around debunking myths of all types. Most have logical, rational explanations. And people see how thinking one religion is right over another causes trouble and they see all the war in the world because of it. I think many people want to distance themselves from something that would cause more pain and anguish. It is just easier to not have any religion.

Puking doesn't make me horny.
Howard2k
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2007, 03:54:12 PM »

This could be an interesting thread, although I hope it doesn't degenerate into flame wars as I have seen these kinds of threads do on other boards.

So what do yo reckon?

Myself well I don't think so. I'm just one of those minded people who need some sort of verification before I believe the words in an old book of "events" written by a bunch of people who were going by what they heard, not what they saw for themselves.

I have a close mate who is very religious, he is studying to be a christian pastor. I laugh every time he tells me how all the stories in the old testament are fact, like Noah getting 2 of every species in the world on that ark? rofl, or Jonah living in the belly of that whale.

So what do y'all reckon?

I think Gods and religion add some value to society.

If someone close passes away, it is good to think that they have gone to a better place.

I am not a religious person though.

Sure they (religions) add comfort in some situations.   But they teach you intolerance at the same time.  Worthwhile trade-off?   No chance.  The damage that is continually done to humanity in the name or religion is sickening.

Please be sure that your topic is on the "allowed" list before posting.

Only 23% of my posts get removed!

What leaks??
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: