Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 12:37:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227985 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Administrative
| |-+  Administrative, Feedback & Help
| | |-+  What the hell?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What the hell?  (Read 55813 times)
SLCPUNK
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2008, 02:10:22 PM »

I saw something on the intertubes, somewhat related to this thread, that had me rolling.

That's not fun knee!! That's lame!  hihi
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2008, 02:17:31 PM »

By saying Tribute bands play it better means they play it true to the original.

I take it most people on this forum are lyrical,vocal listeners and not so much musical listeners.

That is kind of what I gather.

See, to me, the guitar solos are as good if not better than the ly rics and vocal melodies.  The solos take the song to higher places and compliment the vocals in a way that just explode into your head.

the old songs have classic,Iconic guitar solos. playing the solos different to me would be no different than Scott getting on stage and singing different lyrics and vocal melodies to GNR songs.

Im just shooting straight here and being honest.

I love the new bands work but I cringe when I hear them play the old stuff.  That is me being honest.  I like all the leaks a lot and think they have amazing potential but I've heard my fav all time solos butchered enough for one lifetime.

Should I get flamed for having that unbiased opinion?  No

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2008, 02:19:25 PM »

So you don't like it when Slash changes the solo live, either?
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2008, 02:23:16 PM »

That's why they are not just a cover band. I'm a guitar player and I'm 100% more pleased to listen to their version of the guitar work rather than just playing note for note. And you may know well, they could anytime.

If even Slash changes his solos, why couldn't the new band?

Also, please enlighten me how an opinion like yours, who claims to be a musician and to think another musicians should just cover the old songs without putting their own style, is unbiased.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2008, 02:26:12 PM »

I guess you haven't heard a good live performance of the AFD songs since 1989 then..... Matt replaced Steven and Gilby replaced Izzy.

In addition to the line-up changes, Slash changed his solos too. Either for fun or because he made mistakes.

Axl didn't sing the songs exactly like in the studio. For example, he'd add words here and there. Mr. Brownstone, You Could Be Mine etc.

You cringe when GN'R plays GN'R songs?

And you call yourself a fan...

What exactly are you a fan of? Axl?

Sounds more like you wish Axl wouldn't play songs the band likes to play for their fans.

You have some weird opinions or you're just posting shit to get a reaction. First Tommy shouldn't have the right to say anything, then a band is like a marriage where you're not allowed to do anything outside it and now you claim you cringe when GN'R plays GN'R songs.

You haven't seen the band live, so obviously for you Youtube is the place how to experience a live show.

You sound like a troll coming to a GN'R site to get attention.

Unbiased my ass. You obviously have something against the current band.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 07:40:54 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2008, 02:33:32 PM »

So you don't like it when Slash changes the solo live, either?

Ive always hated the new Patience solo and the new KOHD solo he does

So yeah

I hate it when Slash fucks up also

cause I get in such a mood and vibe listening and when the solo kicks in, that elevates me even higher, So yeah, When Slash fucks it up and hits a bad note or does something sloppy, it kind of kills the vibe for me also.

I watched VR in Atlanta a few years back and he totally raped the YGNR solo and I was the first to say how much I hated it.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2008, 02:36:39 PM »

That's why they are not just a cover band. I'm a guitar player and I'm 100% more pleased to listen to their version of the guitar work rather than just playing note for note. And you may know well, they could anytime.

If even Slash changes his solos, why couldn't the new band?

Also, please enlighten me how an opinion like yours, who claims to be a musician and to think another musicians should just cover the old songs without putting their own style, is unbiased.

U cant change classic Iconic legendary solos. u just can't.  It would be like changing the drum beat to Paradise City or the opening riff to WTTJ.

On songs where the solos are just whatever, fine, add a little here and there but u should take the solo and make it better or else you should play it as it is.

no solo except maybe Buckethead's "Nightrain" to me is better.

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2008, 02:46:53 PM »

And you say you're unbiased...

Of course they can change. They can do whatever the fuck they want. And it's not like all the solos are complete different, most have the same pattern and licks and just a change here and there. Any regular fan would recognize them as being part of the songs. Any casual fan wouldn't notice much.

IMO, Robin makes SCOM solo better than Slash. So you're saying just because YOU think it's worse, they shouldn't do in that way? Because of what you think?

If I would replace some musician in a band, Id rather put my own style and feel in the previous work. Maybe you should put yourself in that position. They are NOT a cover band. Yes, they played the old band's songs, but they tried to revamp it to sound genuine. If Axl wanted to just cover the old band, he would call one of the hundreds of Slash covers out there.

Maybe you should just give up. They will never please you, they will never do what you want them to do. Either you give up on the band or give up and give them a chance.

SLCPUNK
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2008, 02:47:25 PM »

Relax, you're two tents.  Shocked
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2008, 03:00:58 PM »

Their just measuring whos teepee is better. . . . . . . . . Rock and Roll has never been about being perfect. If you want to hear a song played "perfectly" then stay home and listen to the c.d. 

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
SLCPUNK
« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2008, 03:02:30 PM »

Their just measuring whos teepee is better. . . . . . . . .

Too tense under a wigwam is no fun.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2008, 03:09:47 PM »

tented the tents

Brace yourself.
Chinese democracy will bring many fans that don't give a shit about the past, as well as the old fans that once left.  beer
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2008, 03:35:32 PM »

I really resent that Jarmo

A troll doesnt stick around and post on a site for over 5 and a half years.

I am an Axl Rose fan and once CD comes out, I will then start becoming fans of the new guys once I have something to base them on.

If these guys weren't in GNR, I wouldnt know them and wouldn't give a shit about them, That is true. If they ever leave GNR or quit, Im sure most of u will feel the same way.

I like how I am being blasted for MY FUCKING OPINION. I said TO ME the solos suck, TO MEEEEEEEEEEEE, I'm not claiming that cause I think so that makes it universal U GUYS ON HERE ARE MAKING YOUR OPINIONS FACT and can't accept the fact someone else thinks differently.

Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2008, 03:46:07 PM »

Caps lock and 12 "E"s. Someone needs a hug. Punk?

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2008, 03:49:29 PM »

If these guys weren't in GNR, I wouldnt know them and wouldn't give a shit about them,

Same thing applies to all the former members.

I'm a fan of the "new" guys because they're GN'R and as a GN'R fan it makes sense to be a fan of the band's members.

I listen to Tommy's music more than I listen to VR.

Also, the fact that they kick ass on stage is a nice bonus.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #135 on: January 28, 2008, 07:43:12 PM »

The whole old v new v VR argument is lame. It was lame years ago too.
Cheers to that!   beer
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2008, 07:44:14 PM »

The whole old v new v VR argument is lame. It was lame years ago too.
Cheers to that!   beer

I doubt it'll ever stop.
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2008, 07:59:16 PM »

It won't....it's the heart & soul of this place, anymore!   Shocked 

Sometimes it gets to me, but I always come back, because it makes for some good entertainment, at times.  I try really hard not to get caught up in it....not always easy. 

So....what the hell?   What was this topic about again? 
SLCPUNK
« Reply #138 on: January 28, 2008, 08:09:43 PM »

It won't....it's the heart & soul of this place, anymore!   Shocked 

Sometimes it gets to me, but I always come back, because it makes for some good entertainment, at times.  I try really hard not to get caught up in it....not always easy. 

I rarely read it, and if I do, it's no more than a few posts.

So....what the hell?   What was this topic about again? 

A spoof site about guys who take themselves and this band way too seriously. Ironically it was hijacked by some guys who take themselves and this band too seriously.

lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #139 on: January 28, 2008, 08:38:21 PM »

Ok, now I remember!   rofl rofl

It is all taken way too seriously, isn't it?  I love GnR.   I found this place because it was the one that was "not about the new" and "not about the old", but a combination of everything.  That's what it's about, I think.  I love Slash - have, for years - and I will defend the man.  However, I'm not going to get my shorts in a twist over all of it.   Because when you do, it starts going overboard.  It does.  It goes beyond sanity, when you do that.  Goes beyond reasoning.   And so here we all are...and for what?  Someone's post gets deleted.  Someone gets banned.  All because you can't "see the light", according to some people.   

« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 08:46:59 PM by lynn1961 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: