Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 01:08:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Does Axl make songs sound better than they actually are?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does Axl make songs sound better than they actually are?  (Read 8786 times)
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2008, 01:33:22 PM »

Axl and Slash had the ability to take average songs to new levels with a killer guitar solo or awesome vocals. 

For Slash, look at KOHD or Sweet Child, where would they be with out the solos?

For Axl, the outro vocal on Its So Easy!!! The passion, the power, the anger.  It had it all.  Few could bring that feeling!

the topic is about Axl, not that other guy who left the band all those years ago.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2008, 01:36:37 PM »

Axl and Slash had the ability to take average songs to new levels with a killer guitar solo or awesome vocals. 

For Axl, the outro vocal on Its So Easy!!! The passion, the power, the anger.  It had it all.  Few could bring that feeling!

the topic is about Axl, not that other guy who left the band all those years ago.

Oh, good point.  Yes, Axl could.
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2008, 01:46:14 PM »

In reference to the thread's question, the answer is an unequivocal "yes."  Granted, the music and writing of the GnR canon is amazing in its own right, but Axl's unique voice, with all of its fury, its dynamics, and its range, certainly elevated the material into something truly powerful and unique.

In no way taking a shot at anyone, but - in my opinion - there's no comparison between the music of VR and anything with Axl's vocals on it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 04:00:47 PM by bazgnr » Logged
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2008, 02:18:28 PM »

Yeah, he does of course, not just Axl but all great singers do this

But Axl moreso than anyone I've ever heard.  His vocal melodies, the way his voice flows over the music is so unique and his voice has so much energy and soul.  To use new songs as an example, Better to me is a brilliant instrumental, but Axl's vocals really put the song over the top.  He has a way of singing a song that is not only catchy but genuine and full of emotion, in my opinion there's nobody else that can combine those two attributes as well as Axl does
JAC185
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2008, 04:13:21 PM »

Well it's about if he makes songs better than they actually are. And that guy is playing on some of the songs in question, and if his contributions on them ASWELL as Axl's make the song its fine to point that out, regardless of who the 'other guy' is. I suppose pointing out Finck making Better just as much as Axl does is wrong also? Jeez, you don't have to shit yourself everytime you see that name.

On topic, some cover versions of songs i'm not too fond of i've suddenly found myself enjoying with Axl on vocals, so yeah, there's something there for me apparently (solely as a vocalist given i'm only talking about cover tunes) that really grabs me into a song.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2008, 04:27:10 PM »

Well it's about if he makes songs better than they actually are. And that guy is playing on some of the songs in question, and if his contributions on them ASWELL as Axl's make the song its fine to point that out, regardless of who the 'other guy' is. I suppose pointing out Finck making Better just as much as Axl does is wrong also? Jeez, you don't have to shit yourself everytime you see that name.

dude, its the same people over and over who keep bringing slash into these discussions.  theres no need for it.   he's not in the band now and i'm sick of hearing about him in this section and i'm sick of his "fans" bringing him up here.   You don't have to get your panties in a bunch because I feel that way.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2008, 04:31:57 PM »

IRS he does for sure....the vocals/voice on the -to me boring instrumentalwise- song turned it into a track i can enjoy big time.  though only judging from unofficial released versions as we couldnt hear the final version yet.

Re-Union time, baby!!
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2008, 05:00:58 PM »

junk food for thought.... nervous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8-cJON_Xwc&feature=related

another one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYvoVG2wL4I&NR=1
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 05:06:06 PM by ppbebe » Logged
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2008, 08:51:35 PM »

Well...that was fun!!!   I had a blast. 

Axl definitely sounds better, though!   hihi
ben9785
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2008, 10:06:29 PM »

This one here sounds like a NES soundtrack to a Kirby's Dream Land game or something lol
ben9785
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2008, 10:18:09 PM »

GNR were not an 'original' band musically by any means. Their music was not groundbreaking. They were not innovative musicians or songwriters.

BUT

Unlike many posers from that era and even those wannabe 'retro rockers' nowadays, apart from obvious musical talent, they had one other quality which stands them out above so many other rock bands even today - They lived through their music. Their music and their delivery is undoubtedly sincere, intense and genuine. You feel and you believe every note and every lyric.

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2008, 10:57:10 PM »

dude, its the same people over and over who keep bringing slash into these discussions.  theres no need for it.   he's not in the band now and i'm sick of hearing about him in this section and i'm sick of his "fans" bringing him up here.   You don't have to get your panties in a bunch because I feel that way.

Jim Bob, you are right, VoodooChild and Mutherfunker brought up Slash's name.  What jerks!!  Jim bob, I wasn't the first to bring up Slash, but I added that a guitar solo can affect a song the same way a great vocal can.  Sorry I went off topic.
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2008, 04:42:23 PM »

No YOU don't have to get YOUR panties in a bunch because people feel THEIR way. It's called a double standard and I love how you are setting it. ANYWAYS I'll post the same thing I said in another thread

Take any aspect of the song away and it looses value , thats like saying It's only GN'R if Slash is playing , take away his solo and all you have is blah blah blah. Each current and former member of the band ( with the exception of maybe Gilby ) has contributed a large part to what GN'R once was and is today. It is down right stupid to think Axl=GN'R , Slash=GN'R , Robin=GN'R or anything of that matter

Guns N' Roses = Guns N' Roses

GNR were not an 'original' band musically by any means. Their music was not groundbreaking. They were not innovative musicians or songwriters.

BUT

Unlike many posers from that era and even those wannabe 'retro rockers' nowadays, apart from obvious musical talent, they had one other quality which stands them out above so many other rock bands even today - They lived through their music. Their music and their delivery is undoubtedly sincere, intense and genuine. You feel and you believe every note and every lyric.

QFT QFT QFT!!! GN'R where nothing new , nothing ground breaking , but what they had was real
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 04:46:38 PM by Feel_The_Burn » Logged
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2008, 05:00:13 PM »

My opinion on this can be summarized in one song:

Compare the original version of The Rolling Stones' "Salt of the Earth" to the version (below) that they did with Axl and Izzy guesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t64Sn10D0bo

It blows the original out of the water.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2008, 05:05:25 PM »

No YOU don't have to get YOUR panties in a bunch because people feel THEIR way. It's called a double standard and I love how you are setting it. ANYWAYS I'll post the same thing I said in another thread

Take any aspect of the song away and it looses value , thats like saying It's only GN'R if Slash is playing , take away his solo and all you have is blah blah blah. Each current and former member of the band ( with the exception of maybe Gilby ) has contributed a large part to what GN'R once was and is today. It is down right stupid to think Axl=GN'R , Slash=GN'R , Robin=GN'R or anything of that matter

if you want to talk about slash, theres a place for you to discuss your lil hero to your heart's content.     this isn't the place.  its as simple as that.
Atillla
Banned
Rocker

The HUNter

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2008, 05:09:25 PM »

Quote from: Feel_The_Burn link=topic=50937.msg1049298#msg1049298
  Each current and former member of the band ( with the exception of maybe Gilby ) has contributed a large part to what GN'R once was and is today. It is down right stupid to think Axl=GN'R , Slash=GN'R , Robin=GN'R or anything of that matter

The question was; does Axl make songs sound better than they actually are... not who is GnR or how can we twist the question so we can look for an excuse to mention the old guitarist.

freedom78, that is what I mean  beer

This signature is very funny.
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2008, 05:16:56 PM »

if you want to talk about slash, theres a place for you to discuss your lil hero to your heart's content.     this isn't the place.  its as simple as that.

"lil hero" lol I've just come to the conclusion that you are a douche who is too hard headed to understand certain things , think I'll just ignore your post from now on. Point Axl needs his band mates to make those songs for him to sing over , and they need him to sing over them. Both of them are creating great stuff , its not like they create half assed "drunken aerosmith jams" and Axl makes them bad ass , its both ways bad ass.

Anyways I bring Slash up , excuse me my "lil hero" because you mentioned Nightrain , easily my favorite live GN'R track , and Slash's oops "lil hero's" solo brings that song to a new level as does Axl singing. Point I'm trying to get at is everyone is making these songs bad ass.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2008, 05:36:26 PM »

Each current and former member of the band ( with the exception of maybe Gilby ) has contributed a large part to what GN'R once was and is today. It is down right stupid to think Axl=GN'R , Slash=GN'R , Robin=GN'R or anything of that matter

The question was; does Axl make songs sound better than they actually are... not who is GnR or how can we twist the question so we can look for an excuse to mention the old guitarist.

Well, to answer your question:  yes.

Are you surprised though, that by referring to the AFD instrumentals as a drunken Aerosmith jam, that it would come across as being disrespectful of the alumni members' contributions to GNR?

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2008, 05:50:59 PM »

I think Axl made Stuck Inside a much better song then it would have been without his parts.
Atillla
Banned
Rocker

The HUNter

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2008, 07:08:56 PM »

Well, to answer your question:  yes.

Are you surprised though, that by referring to the AFD instrumentals as a drunken Aerosmith jam, that it would come across as being disrespectful of the alumni members' contributions to GNR?

Just my opinion like you have yours and it still isn't reason enough to go way off-topic like that by the usual suspects....  peace

This signature is very funny.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: