Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 09:15:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227995 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  *** CHINESE GOV WANTS TO CONTROL FOREIGN ARTISTS! ***
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: *** CHINESE GOV WANTS TO CONTROL FOREIGN ARTISTS! ***  (Read 2947 times)
rockNroses
« on: March 17, 2008, 02:08:13 PM »

from Reuters: Icelandic singer Bjork's politically charged outburst at a recent Shanghai concert was an isolated case and would not affect foreign artists coming to China, a senior official said on Thursday. China's Culture Ministry last week said it would tighten controls over foreign artists after Bjork shouted "Tibet! Tibet!" after performing her song "Declare Independence".

from foxnews: China will be stricter on foreign performers after Icelandic singer Bjork shouted "Tibet! Tibet!" at the end of her concert in Shanghai this week, the government said Friday. A statement by China's Culture Ministry said Bjork's outburst "broke Chinese law and hurt Chinese people's feelings." Bjork shouted "Tibet!" after a passionate performance of her song "Declare Independence" on Sunday. The outburst drew rare public attention inside China to Beijing's often harsh rule over the Himalayan region.

Does that mean no more GN'R shows in China? Could you imagine GN'R performing there, playing "Chinese Democracy" under THESE circumstances? Do you think the album will be sold there? Do you think now would be the perfect time to relase the album?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 02:14:10 PM »

I think they've always wanted to control what artists are allowed to play and what the allowed ones perform in China.

The Rolling Stones had to drop a few songs from their show when they played in China too.

It's not just songs with a political theme as you can read in that BBC article.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 02:39:04 PM »

for a second i thought that was going to say "chinese government wants GNR to release Chinese Democracy"

html sucks
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 02:41:46 PM »

I want to control artists too, but i can't control myself sometimes so..
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 02:48:30 PM »

gotta love bjork.  Smiley she's a real diva.

I would refrain from making a remark on what I wouldn't really know tho.

for a second i thought that was going to say "chinese government wants GNR to release Chinese Democracy"

heh maybe as it calls itself 'the peoples republic'.  hihi
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 02:49:10 PM »

All artists should avoid China until the Chinese end their brutal tyranny over Tibet.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 02:55:59 PM »

year but I hear too many different stories about the demo.
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 03:01:25 PM »

Yeah they have always controled performers in their country. I for one would never play there. Sorry to the fans that miss out, but we shouldn't  ever back down to that kind of rule in any way. I wish all countries would boycott their products, until their people are treated with dignity and respect.

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 03:18:05 PM »

They played Chinese Democracy there already in 2002 and nothing happened (from what we knew). Also, the tour was called Chinese Democracy tour, I guess. Tongue

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 03:23:54 PM »

They played Chinese Democracy there already in 2002 and nothing happened (from what we knew).

and it's not like the government didn't have the control then.
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 04:40:20 PM »

I thought that Axl was banned from China after their performance in 02? So future tours in China would be obviously problematic.
lakersaregreat
Ever get the feeling you've seen me here before?
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 04:57:41 PM »

I think they've always wanted to control what artists are allowed to play and what the allowed ones perform in China.

The Rolling Stones had to drop a few songs from their show when they played in China too.

It's not just songs with a political theme as you can read in that BBC article.

/jarmo

of course! its not just artists that govt is controlling. the govt controls EVERYTHING in china. China is ruled by the iron first and has been for a long time.

Drink n' drive white lightning, faster baby...
bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 05:12:52 PM »

I thought that Axl was banned from China after their performance in 02? So future tours in China would be obviously problematic.

I don't think so, I believe you're thinking of when Axl said that he visited China, that he figured he should do so before he got banned.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 05:29:35 PM »

All artists should avoid China until the Chinese end their brutal tyranny over Tibet.

Good point and I have to wonder why we are sending our athletes to compete in China.  It will be cool to see one of our athletes on the medal stand making a Free Tibet gesture.   peace  I'm sure the Chinese government is sweating bullets in anticipation of something that's sure to happen...if not by an American, another freedom loving individual.
 yes

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 07:18:03 PM »

I don't think so, I believe you're thinking of when Axl said that he visited China, that he figured he should do so before he got banned.

Yeah, the tone of his voice sounded like he was disappointed or whatever so I thought that he was actually banned. He said something like, "Chinese Democracy....that doesn't quite work for them over there". Or something to that effect.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: