Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 09:28:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227993 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  75 years since prohibition
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: 75 years since prohibition  (Read 6618 times)
cineater
Legend

« on: April 07, 2008, 09:06:38 PM »

Why the hell did they do that any way?  And believe it or not there are still counties in the US where you can't drink.  Last time I checked, the county where they make Jack Daniels is a dry county.

If you were looking for a reason to drink tonight, here ya go,  beer

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 09:17:50 PM »

A lot of counties in the South are dry.

"Why the hell did they do that any way?"

A bunch of ne'er do-gooders trying to impose their own religious views on all of society.

The 18th Amendment is one of the best arguments around for the decriminalization of drugs.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
The Chad Cometh
Mike Stewart is God
VIP

Don't think Axl! Makes my dick itch!

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 10:20:16 PM »

In Australia you cannot buy an R rated computer game. The government won't allow it. How fucking morally presumptious is that, especially when the age of the average gamer is well over the legal drinking, smoking, voting age.

I was living to the best of my ability, now I'm living in correctional facility
Axl_owns_dexter87
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 10:23:47 PM »

A lot of counties in the South are dry.

"Why the hell did they do that any way?"

A bunch of ne'er do-gooders trying to impose their own religious views on all of society.

The 18th Amendment is one of the best arguments around for the decriminalization of drugs.

All drugs?

Weed is one thing, heroin is another.
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 11:19:05 PM »

Yep, all drugs. Thoughout all of history, drugs were legal. It has only been for the last 80 or 90 years that they were made illegal. People have always used them, and they always will.

The only thing the prohibition does is manufacture a criminal class of otherwise law abiding citizens ... and of course, a brutal and violent distribution system.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 11:23:27 PM »

Last time I checked, the county where they make Jack Daniels is a dry county.

Sure is!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynchburg%2C_Tennessee
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 11:24:54 PM »

i think they should legalize all drugs EVERY drug EVER and tax the hell out of them so that way this country can get out of debt. THEN countries that are strugelin and need money can have giant Detox center like in africa, for example. then have all that money to pay for reserch on aids studies. OR keep it all here in America and live good like we did in the 50s Cheesy

Elect me for President, fuck Obama. i'll apoint Fucking crazy as chief of defence and D and SLC my henchmen Grin

peace
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 11:27:05 PM by CHINESE DEMOCRACY eventually » Logged

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
cineater
Legend

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 11:57:46 PM »

Oh I asked about that.  Has something to do with trade agreements with 3rd world countries.  And if you've ever had Missouri ditch weed, it's better coming as an import therefore we'd just be making them rich and us broke.

And if you haven't noticed the large number of prescription drugs being recalled in the states, let me just tell you it's better to have your chemical cocktail mixed by the guy who enjoys it right along with you rather than the guy who's out to make a profit.

But I don't really care about none of that, I'm after RJ Reynolds.  Fucking tabacco company changed the blend on Camel Lights!  What is wrong with them?

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 12:01:04 AM »

But I don't really care about none of that, I'm after RJ Reynolds.  Fucking tabacco company changed the blend on Camel Lights!  What is wrong with them?

Those bastard whores rant

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Axl_owns_dexter87
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 12:25:13 AM »

Yep, all drugs. Thoughout all of history, drugs were legal. It has only been for the last 80 or 90 years that they were made illegal. People have always used them, and they always will.

The only thing the prohibition does is manufacture a criminal class of otherwise law abiding citizens ... and of course, a brutal and violent distribution system.

Oh, I know, your not telling me anything I don't already know or believe.  But, going from what we have now to anything goes may be a little too much, too soon.
Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 01:29:00 AM »

Oh I asked about that.  Has something to do with trade agreements with 3rd world countries.  And if you've ever had Missouri ditch weed, it's better coming as an import therefore we'd just be making them rich and us broke.

And if you haven't noticed the large number of prescription drugs being recalled in the states, let me just tell you it's better to have your chemical cocktail mixed by the guy who enjoys it right along with you rather than the guy who's out to make a profit.

Just started smoking camel lights again, but am back to marlboro light 72's and i actually liked the camel lights since the new blend.

One half of Rock n' Rolls Cheech & Chong.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 01:41:13 AM »

You could get heroin and morphine off the Sears catalog earlier in the 20th century.
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 10:06:17 PM »

when did prohibition actually start and end? like the actual dates?

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
SLCPUNK
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 10:33:36 PM »

1971-1997.

Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 10:45:56 PM »

I don't mean to laugh but the 75 year thing didn't clue you in? Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_the_United_States

1920 to 1933
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 10:58:47 PM »

1920 to 1933

no it did but i ment like the actual date like was it in august or june or what?

i'll look later

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 11:14:37 PM »

1920 to 1933

no it did but i ment like the actual date like was it in august or june or what?

i'll look later

Prohibition began on January 16, 1920, when the Eighteenth Amendment went into effect.

On March 23, 1933, President Franklin Roosevelt signed into law an amendment to the Volstead Act known as the Cullen-Harrison Act, allowing the manufacture and sale of "3.2 beer" (3.2% alcohol by weight, approximately 4% alcohol by volume) and light wines.

The Eighteenth Amendment was repealed later in 1933 with ratification of the Twenty-first Amendment, on December 5.

Mind you, these dates are on the national level, some states carried on their own laws.
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 11:22:10 PM »

Something I found interesting, that I did not know, is that the 21st Amendment is the first, and only, time that Article V of the Constitution has been invoked to pass an amendment.

Article V reads:
?    The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths thereof, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress...,Provided...that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.

GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 11:23:32 PM »

1920 to 1933

i'll look later

Prohibition began on January 16, 1920, when the Eighteenth Amendment went into effect.

On March 23, 1933, President Franklin Roosevelt signed into law an amendment to the Volstead Act known as the Cullen-Harrison Act, allowing the manufacture and sale of "3.2 beer" (3.2% alcohol by weight, approximately 4% alcohol by volume) and light wines.

The Eighteenth Amendment was repealed later in 1933 with ratification of the Twenty-first Amendment, on December 5.

Mind you, these dates are on the national level, some states carried on their own laws.

hmm interesting, thanks ok

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 11:46:43 PM »

Something I found interesting, that I did not know, is that the 21st Amendment is the first, and only, time that Article V of the Constitution has been invoked to pass an amendment.

Article V reads:
?    The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths thereof, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress...,Provided...that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.

According to wiki, so I don't know the accuracy of it-

Although the US Constitution provides two methods for ratifying constitutional amendments, only one method had been used up to this point in time. That method was for the proposed amendment to be ratified by the state legislatures of three-fourths of the states. However, the conventional wisdom of the day was that the state legislators of many states were either beholden to or simply fearful of the temperance lobby. For this reason, when Congress formally proposed the repeal of Prohibition on February 20, 1933 (with the requisite two-thirds having voted in favor in each house; 63 to 21 in the Senate and 289 to 121 in the House) they chose to utilize the alternate ratification method: state conventions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-first_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: