Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 12:50:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  With his idol on his side, a guitarist with cancer plays on
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: With his idol on his side, a guitarist with cancer plays on  (Read 11599 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: July 13, 2008, 10:45:18 PM »

With his idol on his side, a guitarist with cancer plays on

By Billy Cox
Published Sunday, July 13, 2008

PALMETTO ? The ringtone explodes with Guns N' Roses' opening guitar riff on "Sweet Child O' Mine," and Heath Sammons snaps open the cell phone. "City morgue," he answers. "You kill 'em, we chill 'em."
RELATED NEWS:

Dressed largely in black, his faded denim jeans torn at the knees, the lanky 20-year-old is a poster boy for garage-band culture. He calls himself "old school," with a thing for Metallica, Boston and Aerosmith. He amps up his Gibson Les Paul and cranks a few power chords to establish his bona fides.

The black bandanna and backward baseball cap cloak the hair-loss side effects of chemotherapy, but on this particularly upbeat day, you would never know Heath was struggling with inoperable cancer. Because after having completed a jam session in Los Angeles with a rock 'n' roll deity, Heath anticipates leaping tall buildings in a single bound.

"You rock," proclaims a signed photo. "Hope you had a blast. See you soon. Slash."

Slash, as in Velvet Revolver / Guns N' Roses / "Guitar Hero." Billowing frizz beneath the legendary top hat, the droopy cigarette, the opaque shades, mere rumors for eyes. "Appetite for Destruction." That guy.

It is hard for Heath to keep a straight face

when he talks about his June 4 meetup with his idol, which was engineered by his family. The kid from Palmetto does his best to play it cool.

"He's an awesome musician and a great guy." It's no use. Here it comes, a sign of weakness -- the smile. "And he's loyal to his friends."

Family makes things happen

Heath's mother, Karis Meier, likes to accent life's positives. But discussing his abbreviated career at Manatee School for the Arts in Palmetto presents a challenge.

"Heath is very spontaneous, and Mom was at school quite a bit," volunteers Karis. "The principal was really good. He tried hard to work something out."

It was not all bad. Manatee School is where, at age 14, Heath took his first guitar lessons and learned he had an aptitude for music on his $100 Fender Squier. But boredom with structure soon followed, as did several expulsions.

At 15, his first band was Kashmir, which did Metallica covers. Then there was Kileva, whose name is an inside joke. Lately, when he feels up to it, he plays with older guys -- doing Eagles, Petty, Skynyrd covers -- calling themselves the Under Construction Band.

But the world collapsed in early 2006, when Heath took a skateboard spill in Tampa, which unleashed a nightmarish ordeal of pain. Doctors discovered a tumor in his sacrum, at the base of his spine, and diagnosed a rare bone cancer called osteosarcoma.

Debilitating bouts of radiation and chemotherapy at the Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa appeared to have wrung it out of his system by the spring of 2007.

But last September, three more spots showed up on Heath's lungs. Those were surgically removed, but the reprieve would prove temporary.

And somewhere amid the blur, around the fall of 2006, Heath's stepfather, Jim Meier, and his aunt, Melody Carpenter, got the same crazy idea.

Without knowing what the other was doing, in an effort to boost Heath's spirits, each contacted a fan-based Web site in hopes of reaching his favorite guitarist -- Saul Hudson, aka Slash. Because it couldn't hurt.

A kindred spirit

Talk about lucky to be alive -- Slash wrote the book on it, literally, in 2007.

In addition to tracing the superstar arc triggered by his run with Guns N'Roses, Slash's self-titled autobiography volunteers unsparing details of rock 'n' roll debauchery: heroin addiction, public intoxication, chicks for free, STDs.

On "Late Show with David Letterman," he told the world about knocking back half a gallon of vodka each day for 10 years, which left him with heart disease and a defibrillator.

"They told me I had six days to six weeks to live," Slash informed Letterman's studio audience last October. But he sobered up cold turkey, and in the June edition of Mojo magazine, he told readers he had been sober for two years.

He credited his two young children for providing the clarity that saved his life.

Maybe that brush with mortality accounts for his response to overtures from Heath's aunt and stepfather. It is difficult to know for sure, because Slash declines to discuss his generosity in the media.

But he replied to both Melody and Jim, and finally spoke with Heath over the phone at the Moffitt Center in 2006 as he was being prepped for treatment.

"I felt about dead when the phone rang," Heath recalls. "I couldn't believe it when I picked it up. I said, 'Mom, it's Slash -- get the nurse out of here.' He was real cool, he said, 'You sound like a strong kid, we're rootin' for you,' things like that. We talked for about 20 minutes."

Slash followed up with signed photos, jeans, T-shirts, hats. Last year, Heath received four box seat tickets and backstage passes for Velvet Revolver's October concert in Tampa.

"It's been sort of unbelievable," said Melody. "Everything I've asked Slash to do for Heath, every single thing, he's done. He's wonderful."

Playing through the pain

Cancer raged back into Heath's collapsing lung early this year, then bloomed as a tumor against his vena cava.

Moffitt oncologists counterattacked with chemotherapy. The returns came back in mid-May: inoperable.

Today, Heath's family is determined to rebuild his immune system through vitamins and diet.

And maybe with a little help from his friends. Following a heads-up from Heath's family, Slash made an offer no star-struck young guitarist could refuse: Come on out to L.A. one afternoon and jam.

"I couldn't believe we were actually going to do it," Heath says.

Accompanied by a small entourage from Palmetto, including 18-year-old buddy Tommy Busch, Heath packed his Les Paul and flew west.

Heath's entourage hooked up with the Guitar Hero on June 4 at a mansion Slash sold to actor Billy Bob Thornton. Thornton agreed to let them use Slash's old recording studio in the basement, called The Cave.

Heath introduced Slash to a couple of original compositions, which they recorded. They spent the entire afternoon, four hours, trading licks and stories.

"I think I play a lot like him," Heath recalls. "Not on purpose, that's just how it went, we're so much alike. Our riffs were pretty close."

Afterward, Slash offered a few words of encouragement for a blog that Heath's stepfather, Jim, maintains at http://heathsupdate.blogspot.com/

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080713/NEWS/807130343/-1/newssitemap

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 11:30:53 PM »

Funky, that is the most amazing heart warming Slash story I have ever read.  I have never heard about this.  Slash didn't advertise this.  He just did it.  And he didn't have to.  Slash proves behind all the rock star bravado, and excess, he is a great genuine person that is very caring.  He made this kid so happy and he spent sooo much time with him.  How cool was it too for Billy Bob to let Slash use his old studio.  Seems like a big effort.  I think its great when famous people do great things for the RIGHT reasons. 

Best of luck to Heath and way to go Slash for being a friend to a person in need. 
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 12:34:13 AM »

That's real cool of Slash.

Fuck 'Em All.
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 12:38:34 AM »

That's an awesome story!  

I wish the best for Heath.  
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 11:32:58 AM »

awesome thing to do
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 03:42:20 PM »

how sweet indeed.  Smiley

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 04:10:33 PM »

I noticed the people that call Slash a "brand" or "selling out" or a "celebrity whore" or "a greedy person only about himself" aren't giving Slash his due here when he does something from the heart.  Interesting.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 05:45:34 PM by Smoking Guns » Logged
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 04:50:53 PM »

I noticed the people that call Slash a "brand" or "selling out" or a "celebrity whore" or "a greedy person only about himself" aren't giving Slash his due here when he does something from the hear.  Interesting.

are you surprised?  Wink

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 05:46:17 PM »

I noticed the people that call Slash a "brand" or "selling out" or a "celebrity whore" or "a greedy person only about himself" aren't giving Slash his due here when he does something from the hear.  Interesting.

are you surprised?  Wink

No, but it would be nice to hear one of his haters say, "i might not be the biggest Slash fan around, but that was cool as hell what he did for a person in need."
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 06:04:52 PM »

are you surprised?  Wink

No, but it would be nice to hear one of his haters say, "i might not be the biggest Slash fan around, but that was cool as hell what he did for a person in need."

hey! i kinda said that  rant

Wink hihi

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 06:13:55 PM »

are you surprised?  Wink

hey! i kinda said that  rant

Wink hihi

Cheap John, you are always fair, I am talk about the people with an agenda against Slash that say everything he does is motivated by money. No big deal. 
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 09:17:56 PM »

I don't think everything he does is motivated by money. I just think all the exceedingly lame, shoddy ass things he does are motivated by money.

You know, writing an inaccurate book, playing with the Best Buy band, sueing a realtor for a house he bought and never looked at, that kind of thing.

This on the other hand, was cool.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 09:19:39 PM by AdZ » Logged
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 11:16:53 PM »

I don't think everything he does is motivated by money. I just think all the exceedingly lame, shoddy ass things he does are motivated by money.

You know, writing an inaccurate book, playing with the Best Buy band, sueing a realtor for a house he bought and never looked at, that kind of thing.

ok  Adz, nice post!
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 09:18:27 AM »

What a strange post-the guy spends 20 minutes on the phone with a kid with cancer and your talking about a lawsuit with a realtor? Unreal

libertad
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 12:09:27 PM »

What a strange post-the guy spends 20 minutes on the phone with a kid with cancer and your talking about a lawsuit with a realtor? Unreal

Adz finally admitted, even after bashing the guy first, that it was a good thing he did.  So we can't bitch because he did finally aknowledge it...  But I agree, what does that have to do with what he did here?  Nothing.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 02:00:24 PM »

Adz finally admitted, even after bashing the guy first, that it was a good thing he did.  So we can't bitch because he did finally aknowledge it...  But I agree, what does that have to do with what he did here?  Nothing.

Then why did YOU bring it up?  AdZ was only commenting on what you posted first.  Roll Eyes

I noticed the people that call Slash a "brand" or "selling out" or a "celebrity whore" or "a greedy person only about himself" aren't giving Slash his due here when he does something from the heart.  Interesting.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 02:48:39 PM »

Then why did YOU bring it up?  AdZ was only commenting on what you posted first.  Roll Eyes

You are correct, I said his post was good though from the get go.  You know what I mean.  Props to Adz for saying the deed was good, eventhough he did slip the real estate agent ting in there.   ok  rofl
dr. light
Headliner

hola soy el piji

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 11:35:27 PM »

i had cancer too fuck i live in argentina.

is was very cool to read what that guy said. some memories of myself too went back.

i wish i could play with slash some day too ok ok

army of darknes is the best movie ever!!!
Rapunzel
Yes, I will probably get banned again.
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2008, 03:17:50 AM »

Yes. He really is a good guy.  Cool

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 09:43:51 PM »

MyFox Tampa Bay video on the story:

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=25887E7F2EF0788B7EF9DA14AD08E759?contentId=7154603&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1

Thanks to Ezikiel

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: