Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 09:25:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Batman "The Dark Knight"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Batman "The Dark Knight"  (Read 83775 times)
Perfect Criminal
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2008, 01:57:16 PM »

Great movie!

I put Ledger's Joker up there with Darth Vadar as the greatest bad guys ever.

The two movies starting with batman Begins blow Burton's version away IMO.  There are so many layers to Nolan's take that it holds it own against non-superhero dramas. 

I loved Ironman, but this way better....by a long shot.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2008, 05:34:56 PM »

Source: http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20080720/121658682000.html

LOS ANGELES (AP) Batman has sent Spidey packing as king of Hollywood's box-office superheroes.

"The Dark Knight" took in a record $155.34 million in its first weekend, topping the previous best of $151.1 million for "Spider-Man 3" in May 2007 and pacing Hollywood to its biggest weekend ever, according to studio estimates Sunday.

"We knew it would be big, but we never expected to dominate the marketplace like we did," said Dan Fellman, head of distribution for Warner Bros., which released "The Dark Knight." The movie should shoot past the $200 million mark by the end of the week, he said.

ADVERTISEMENT
Hollywood set an overall revenue record of $253 million for a three-day weekend, beating the $218.4 million haul over the weekend of July 7, 2006, according to box-office tracker Media By Numbers.

"This weekend is such a juggernaut," said Nikki Rocco, head of distribution for Universal, whose musical "Mamma Mia!" debuted at No. 2 with $27.6 million.

Factoring in higher admission prices, "Spider-Man 3" may have sold slightly more tickets than "The Dark Knight."

At 2007's average price of $6.88, "Spider-Man 3" sold 21.96 million tickets over opening weekend. Media By Numbers estimates today's average movie prices at $7.08, which means "The Dark Knight" would have sold 21.94 million tickets.

Revenue totals for "The Dark Knight" could change when final numbers are released Monday.

The movie's release was preceded by months of buzz and speculation over the performance of the late Heath Ledger as the Joker, Batman's nemesis. Ledger, who died in January from an accidental prescription-drug overdose, played the Joker as a demonic presence, his performance prompting predictions that the role might earn him a posthumous Academy Award nomination.

"The average opening gross of the last five `Batman' movies is $47 million. This tripled that, and for a reason," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of Media By Numbers. "A big part of that was the Heath Ledger mystique and a phenomenal performance that absolutely deserves the excitement surrounding it."

"The Dark Knight" reunites director Christopher Nolan with his "Batman Begins" star Christian Bale, whose vigilante crime-fighter is taunted and tested by Ledger's Joker as the villain unleashes violence and chaos on the city of Gotham.

Overseas, "The Dark Knight" added $40 million in 20 countries where it began opening Wednesday, including Australia, Mexico and Brazil. The film opens in Great Britain this weekend and rolls out to most of the rest of the world over the next few weeks.

"The Dark Knight," which cost $185 million to make, also broke the "Spider-Man 3" record for best debut in IMAX large-screen theaters with $6.2 million. "Spider-Man 3" opened with $4.7 million in IMAX cinemas.

"Every single show is sold out," said Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president. "We're adding shows as much as we can, but we're at 100 percent capacity."

On opening day Friday, "The Dark Knight" also took in more money than previously counted, Fellman said. The film pulled in a record $67.85 million, up nearly $1.5 million from the studio's estimates a day earlier.

The previous opening-day record also had been held by "Spider-Man 3" with $59.8 million.

Women accounted for most of the audience for "Mamma Mia!", which Universal opened as counter-programming to the male-dominated audience for "The Dark Knight."

"With the crowded summer, we knew we would have to find the right weekend, and this seemed like the perfect one considering three-quarters of our audience was female," Rocco said.

Based on the stage musical set to the tunes of ABBA, "Mamma Mia!" features Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgard, Julie Walters and Christine Baranski.

The weekend's other new wide release, 20th Century Fox's animated family flick "Space Chimps," opened at No. 7 with $7.4 million.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Media By Numbers LLC. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "The Dark Knight," $155.34 million.

2. "Mamma Mia!", $27.6 million.

3. "Hancock," $14 million.

4. "Journey to the Center of the Earth," $11.9 million.

5. "Hellboy II: The Golden Army," $10 million.

6. "WALL-E," $9.8 million.

7. "Space Chimps," $7.4 million.

8. "Wanted," $5.1 million.

9. "Get Smart," $4.1 million.

10. "Kung Fu Panda," $1.8 million.

huge opening for a great movie! ok
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2008, 07:18:52 PM »

Even better opening day:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/20/boxoffice.ap/index.html

On opening day Friday, "The Dark Knight" also took in more money than previously counted, Fellman said. The film pulled in a record $67.85 million, up nearly $1.5 million from the studio's estimates a day earlier.

The previous opening-day record also had been held by "Spider-Man 3" with $59.8 million.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2008, 10:28:01 AM »

I saw it Friday night.

It was fucking stellar.

The acting was excellent, the action set pieces were not only spectacular, but actually pertinent to the story being told.  The cinematography was very good (I'm still not a HUGE fan of the close up fighting shots...but I get what the film maker is going for: more personal, brutal impact).  And the writing was top notch...not just for a "superhero" movie, but for any movie.  Those going in expecting a popcorn flick got SOOOO much more. It was the best movie I've seen so far this year, and the fastest 2.5 hours I've spent in a theater without there being a "Lord of the Rings" prefix attached to the movie.

Ledger's performance was everything it was built up to be, IMHO.  Just amazingly well done.  So many little details (the mannerisms and ticks) in there.  If Jack's performance was the ultimate "cartoon" portrayal, Ledger's is the ultimate COMIC BOOK portrayal...at least the moder comics version.  His last monologue scene in the movie was made MUCH more poignant by his passing.....

Everyone else aquitted themselves very well.  Caine was great (as usual) and was a great "Human foil" to Bruce.  Freeman was, likewise, a great moral compass.  Neither role felt "empty" or short shrifted and the acting was superb.

There were a couple of "I can't believe they did that" moments that just really blew me away.  I stayed away from all the spoilers (so won't add any here) before the movie, so I was surprised by a couple of the turns it took.  It amazes me how they tied everything together, and made so many of the tidbits in the movie SUPREMELY relevant in the last scene. 

As I said, I think it was a stellar pic.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2008, 10:29:13 AM »

The truck-flipping scene elicited gasps and cheers from the people in my showing....very cool.

The first thing I thought of were the AT-AT's in Empire Strikes back.  Very cool, indeed.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2008, 10:41:19 AM »

Christian Bale totally redeemed himself in my eyes as I found him to be very good in this movie. I still think Batman Begins was a letdown due to the horrible villain. Everyone Protagonist needs an equal Antagonist and thats what u got in this movie.

I agree.  I like Ra's and all in the comics, but he's not exactly the cornerstone villian I would have thought to relaunch the bat franchise with.  Liam did a good job with the role, but Ra's never had the dramatic "heft" most of Batmans' rogue's gallery has...though I guess, since Ra's is sort of "outside Gotham"...when you set a good portion of the movie outside Gotham, it's going to be a good way to use him.

And the "Scarecrow" was just done badly.  They just chose the WRONG guy to portray him, and he did a poor job with him.

I LIKED Batman Begins...don't get me wrong...but The Dark Knight rips off it's head and shits down it's neck.

The way the Joker is done in this movie though, he is like an Anti Hero but I actually was cheering for him. Its because he actually had REASONS for the things he done. Kind of like in the Saw movies where everyone leads to their own fate etc.

It's funny.  My wife and I drew the same parallel to the Saw movies....because Joker is equally as creepy as Jigsaw.

He had his reasons and most were pretty dead on. Especially his social commentary on human beings.

Heath Ledger was so phenomenal I dont even know where to begin. When I watch Movies, I really study actors *which is why I think Johnny Depp is the greatest* 

I like seeing how someone OWNS the character. So many read lines off the page, they act, they use their personality etc.

Ledger WAS THE JOKER. I guess thats how u can say it and why his shits all over Nicholson's and kicks it off the face of the earth

I think Jack did it very well within the confines of what they were going for:  A more stylized, cartoony, OLD comics version of the character.  That's what Jack did.

Ledger was given a different take from the get go.  A realistic, grittier, NEWER comics version of the character.  It's the version I prefer, overall, anyway.  And Ledger took that direction and just did a STELLAR job with it.

I almost have a hard time comparing the two, because they're just such different takes on the character.  At the end, though...I do think I'd give Ledger's version the nod.

when u watch Nicholson, it looks like Jack Nicholson playing the joker. voice, face, walk, etc etc

You got a cartoony version of the character Jack plays in The Shining and One flew over the Coo-Coo next.  You can DEFINITELY still see Jack in there, rolling around.

With Ledger, I mean every idiosyncracy, the way he speaks, the way he flicks his tongue like a serpent, his mannerisms, I mean the GUY was living this character and it explodes off the screen.

And that's why I would give Ledger the nod.  You hit it on the head.  Because when you watch Ledger do the role, HE disappears.  You can't see any sign of Heath Ledger up there on the screen...he's completely gone. 

Story was excellent, character build up was amazing, shocking twists i didnt see coming and the ending with Two Face is maybe the only somewhat weak area *still not sure what happend??* 

The pencil was hilarious but I cracked up the loudest when he was holding Rachel out the window and Batman says "Let Her Go"  which the joker replied "Poor CHoice of words"  hahahahhhahahahahahahahhaha

AM i the only one that got watery eyed at the end of this movie?  I've loved and followed Heath  Ledger's career since 10 Things I hate About You and I just couldnt help but reflect and feel horrible of the life he had ahead of him.  His final scene got me choked up and Im not afraid to admit that.

I got "misty" during his last monologue, too. 

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2008, 10:45:39 AM »

D - not sure if this will answer your question or not, but concerning the ending:  Batman and Gordon were discussing how the Joker was essentially trying to corrupt the city's soul.  He took Dent, the brightest hope they had - and essentially broke him, leaving Two-Face in his wake and bringing ruin to all the good the three of them had accomplished.  Batman did *not* go against his principle - he didn't take a life - but instead took the blame for the deaths Two-Face caused, leaving Dent's legacy as a hero intact for the good of the city.  As a result - and in order to prevent the Joker from "winning" - Batman is now perceived as both a killer and a fugitive, and Gordon agreed to the deception and will now essentially have to hunt Batman down in order to preserve the lie and keep Dent's original, altruistic efforts - and the city's hope - alive.

See, the thing is: Taking the blame also HELPS batman in his fight.  Because now, without having to compromise his principles, he's overcome exactly the problem Joker talked about:  The criminals were getting wise to the fact Batman had "rules".

It's not a great trade off, but....it's one little minor thing that just shows how tight the story telling and script are.

The question I had at the end of the movie was:  Is Dent's story really over.  Obviously the Joker's might not be (can you imagine the poor guy who gets recast in that role if they reprise it?).  Dent's SEEMS like it might be....I'm not so sure.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2008, 10:47:17 AM »

Also, I thought Batman used the sonar cause the Joker damaged something that didnt allow him to see out of his mask or something............ not sure...........

The sonar machine "in the basement" was what was feeding his eye pieces...generating those images he was seeing.

When the joker damaged them, he wasn't "seeing in sonar" anymore, so had to have Fox "translate" what was going on, on the sonar, to him. 

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2008, 10:48:38 AM »

I know a lot of people don't like that Bale changes his voice when he's Batman, but I think it makes sense. The deep growl adds to the intimidation and fear factor. And it wouldn't really make sense for him to talk like his regular self. He can't have people thinking, "I've heard that voice before . . ."

Don't read the following if you haven't seen the movie:

Because the Joker . . . well, because his fate isn't exactly "sealed," I've been wondering a lot if Nolan had planned on bringing the Joker back for the third movie. Has anyone heard or read anything about whether or not that was the case, and if Ledger's death is going to upset their original plan for the third movie?

I read a interview with Bale just the other day and he said there are no definite plans for a third movie yet.

There will be after this weekend's box office numbers come in.

Smiley

Together again,
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2008, 10:52:14 AM »

I still cant wrap  my head around the fact that the guy in 10 Things I hate abou You and the Gay Cowboy in Brokeback Mountain was the Joker.

If I didnt know going in i would've called u a liar.

WOW!

Im going to go see this again in the next day or two.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2008, 11:37:39 AM »

I still cant wrap  my head around the fact that the guy in 10 Things I hate abou You and the Gay Cowboy in Brokeback Mountain was the Joker.

If I didnt know going in i would've called u a liar.

WOW!

Im going to go see this again in the next day or two.
It's a funny thing that thing called acting!

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2008, 12:07:25 PM »

Yeah but its more than that

I mean there are great actors who dont make u lose them in the role.

Denzel is the same dude every movie
Morgan Freeman same dude
Tom Cruise
Tommy Lee Jones

But with this one, its just wild how it doesnt even seem to be Heath Ledger on the screen but something else entirely.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2008, 06:00:03 PM »

Just saw the movie again for the second time, some things make more sense and I caught a few things I missed last time. I definitely suggest a repeat viewing if you have the time to do so.  ok
Perfect Criminal
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2008, 07:25:13 PM »

Yeah but its more than that

I mean there are great actors who dont make u lose them in the role.

Denzel is the same dude every movie
Morgan Freeman same dude
Tom Cruise
Tommy Lee Jones

But with this one, its just wild how it doesnt even seem to be Heath Ledger on the screen but something else entirely.

I agree.  He was about to be propelled into a place held only by Johnny Depp right now.  The ability to become something else unrecognizable to even the people that know you.  It is a huge losss.  Here's to hoping they convince Depp to take on the rolle.  He's the only actor alive that could pull off following this masterpiece by Ledger (maybe).
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2008, 08:48:19 PM »

this is one of the greatest movie ive ever seen. i was a little worried watching it since i thought i would fall asleep since i watched it at 2am and seeing as i was in vegas this weekend you really dont get any sleep at all. those 2 hours and 30 minuets sure didnt felt like 2 hours and 30 minuets
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2008, 08:50:18 PM »

D - not sure if this will answer your question or not, but concerning the ending:  Batman and Gordon were discussing how the Joker was essentially trying to corrupt the city's soul.  He took Dent, the brightest hope they had - and essentially broke him, leaving Two-Face in his wake and bringing ruin to all the good the three of them had accomplished.  Batman did *not* go against his principle - he didn't take a life - but instead took the blame for the deaths Two-Face caused, leaving Dent's legacy as a hero intact for the good of the city.  As a result - and in order to prevent the Joker from "winning" - Batman is now perceived as both a killer and a fugitive, and Gordon agreed to the deception and will now essentially have to hunt Batman down in order to preserve the lie and keep Dent's original, altruistic efforts - and the city's hope - alive.

See, the thing is: Taking the blame also HELPS batman in his fight.  Because now, without having to compromise his principles, he's overcome exactly the problem Joker talked about:  The criminals were getting wise to the fact Batman had "rules".

It's not a great trade off, but....it's one little minor thing that just shows how tight the story telling and script are.

The question I had at the end of the movie was:  Is Dent's story really over.  Obviously the Joker's might not be (can you imagine the poor guy who gets recast in that role if they reprise it?).  Dent's SEEMS like it might be....I'm not so sure.
\

thats a really good point about how taking blame helps batman in his fight. it makes him look so much fucking scarier, pinning the blame of those murders on him.

about dent. they are never really THAT clear that hes dead. i mean we saw gordon giving his speech but we didnt see any casket or anything, i've been wondering whether they might say he survived that fall, since i remember reading this film was supposed to set two-face up as the bad guy for the next film in nolan's trilogy.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2008, 09:09:17 PM »

Why is D-Bo in this movie?
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2008, 09:30:38 PM »

i guess to show even the toughest criminal is willing to give his life to save the others by not pressing that button?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2008, 11:54:38 AM »

about dent. they are never really THAT clear that hes dead. i mean we saw gordon giving his speech but we didnt see any casket or anything, i've been wondering whether they might say he survived that fall, since i remember reading this film was supposed to set two-face up as the bad guy for the next film in nolan's trilogy.

I agree.

I can almost see him as some "John Doe" sitting over in Arkham.....

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2008, 11:56:31 AM »

Why is D-Bo in this movie?

I thought ALMOST the same thing when I saw Tiny Lister in the role....

"WTF is Zeus doing on that boat!"

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: