Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 08:02:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Batman "The Dark Knight"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Batman "The Dark Knight"  (Read 83761 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #120 on: July 23, 2008, 07:36:41 AM »

Just saw it today.  What can I say?  I really liked the movie.  headbanger 

I watched it and just found myself thinking "is this shit ever gonna end?

I dont like Christian Bale, I think he is dry as toast, Batman is the shittiest super hero as he really isnt a super hero and Batman Begins had the worst villain probably in superhero movie history.

Shittiest super hero?  Only if in your world "shitty" means "great" and, thus, "shittiest" means "greatest."

No special powers...just a dude fucking shit up.

Batman isnt a super hero though. Thats my point. He has no special powers therefore he is a dude with a lot of engineered weapons etc.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #121 on: July 23, 2008, 07:54:35 AM »

The riddler in the next one would be cool. I don't think poison ivy or catwoman would be very good. Maybe the penguin too i hope its not mr freeze.
Rapunzel
Yes, I will probably get banned again.
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2008, 09:09:05 AM »

King Tut was a good villian.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:29:28 AM by Rapunzel » Logged

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly.
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #123 on: July 23, 2008, 09:18:32 AM »

I've heard a few people point out that the scene when Morgan Freeman is asked if the Batsuit will stand up to Dogs, he mentions Cats, therefore possibly foreshadowing the Catwoman in the next film. That said, I hope its not the case. The shitty Halle Berry movie from a couple years ago pretty much destroyed any credibility the character had.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2008, 10:42:23 AM »

I dont like Christian Bale, I think he is dry as toast, Batman is the shittiest super hero as he really isnt a super hero and Batman Begins had the worst villain probably in superhero movie history.

Shittiest super hero?  Only if in your world "shitty" means "great" and, thus, "shittiest" means "greatest."

Batman isnt a super hero though. Thats my point. He has no special powers therefore he is a dude with a lot of engineered weapons etc.

Eh, semantics.  I don't care what you call him. 

The point is that ANYONE could be Batman.  NO ONE could be Superman, Spiderman, etc. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2008, 10:56:51 AM »

The point is that ANYONE could be Batman.  NO ONE could be Superman, Spiderman, etc. 

Thats kinda true, especially true of Superman. I think some of Spiderman's appeal was that he was just normal kid until he was bitten by that spider. It could happen to anyone  hihi
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2008, 11:11:06 AM »

Thats kinda true, especially true of Superman. I think some of Spiderman's appeal was that he was just normal kid until he was bitten by that spider. It could happen to anyone  hihi

I've been bitten by many spiders.  Still waiting.  hihi

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2008, 01:41:29 PM »

I want Bane as the next villian. Either that or a movie version of "The Dark Knight Returns."

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2008, 06:59:23 PM »

Just saw it

Its.....intresting

So much about it I adored, Joker is mesmerising - hysterical, terrifying - Ledger must surely take an Oscar

I loved its commentary on humanity, what we become when we are pushed......

But it was tooo long, too much going on - so often I wanted to savour a scene, a line an idea - but it was on to the next thing

It needed to take its best ideas, leave the rest and make a simplier story to hang its philsophy on

I was so busy trying to work out who ''Ramirez'' was and how Two-Face got out of cruhed cars I couldn't savour the points it was making, the importance of hope and that humanity for all its flaws is intrinsically good

Badly edited, many scenes were cut (so there are plenty of deleted scenes - hell stuff from the trailers doesn't make the final cut!)

I will see it again, The Dark Knight is just like its theme - within all the baggage and excess - is gold

(and Maggie Gyllenhal is god awful, hell if i was Bruce or Harvey I would happily have given up the chase - Katie Holmes was far more intresting)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 07:04:40 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2008, 10:27:01 PM »

King Tut was a good villian.
He was also good on the odd couple to perform a seaonce on the air conditioner.

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #130 on: July 24, 2008, 09:36:26 AM »

Spoilers below.

Just saw it last night.  I didn't dislike it, but it didn't really do anything for me either.  I doubt I would watch it again. 

Granted, I'll admit I'm not a superhero movie fan in general.  The only ones I would re-watch are Superman I and II (and only for nostalgia reasons) and Batman Begins (and even that, I only liked the 1st half or so).

But given I mostly liked Batman Begins and was a sucker for the Heath Ledger hype, I went to see it.  So first, Heath Ledger -- his performance was very good, you have to hand it to him.  But overall I found the character uninteresting (which is not Ledger's fault).  We get it, the guy's a sociopath.  OK.   Thing is, most human beings can't relate to or empathize with sociopaths (nor should they).  To me, the more interesting villains have been those who have a conflicted sense of humanity. The Joker was anything but conflicted.  Also, I wasn't too taken in with his philosophical rationalizations, because they were just that -- rationalizations, not his true driving force.

I agree on most of the reviews on Maggie Ghyllenhall.  They would have been better off with a cardboard cutout of Katie Holmes.  But the main problem was that the character was just a token leading lady role, not a character of any substance or use.

Another problem I had was Harvey Dent / Aaron Eckhart.  I could not for one second buy into the angle that he was some sort of shining White Knight.  So I didn't go for his whole fall from grace, because I never believed he was at grace.  In fact, I (mistakenly) believed throughout the film that he was the guy in cahoots with the mob.  Granted, the first role I ever saw Aaron Eckhart play was in the movie "In the Company of Men", when he played il capo di tutti capi of douchebags.  So perhaps that colored my opinion of him.  But then again, Heath Ledger was able to sell his character, so...

As for Christian Bale, I think he's a great actor, he just didn't have enough to do with the role this time around.   

Of course, the entire movie-going public seems to disagree with me.  But still...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 12:16:21 PM by GeorgeSteele » Logged
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #131 on: July 24, 2008, 01:28:03 PM »

But given I mostly liked Batman Begins and was a sucker for the Heath Ledger hype, I went to see it.  So first, Heath Ledger -- his performance was very good, you have to hand it to him.  But overall I found the character uninteresting (which is not Ledger's fault).  We get it, the guy's a sociopath.  OK.   Thing is, most human beings can't relate to or empathize with sociopaths (nor should they).  To me, the more interesting villains have been those who have a conflicted sense of humanity. The Joker was anything but conflicted.  Also, I wasn't too taken in with his philosophical rationalizations, because they were just that -- rationalizations, not his true driving force.

I disagree

The Joker was conflicted, for all his bravado he was deeply tramatised and unhappy (his 'stories' about his scars reflecting a deep rooted pain) he was fully aware of what he was and hated himself (he wanted Batman to run him down and kill him)

The Joker was taking out on the world his hate, basically trying to destroy the good he couldn't find in himself.

He needed to destroy the hope Dent represented, the hope he lacked.  He talks about how he is a dog chasing cars, not knowing what he would do if he caught one - he lives without goals, but worse.....without hope, he wanted everyone to be as empty as he felt.

I loved his character and the depth it showed - most villians have some very obvious back story, with the Joker we got to know him in a far more intresting way

He was also a commentary on the world we live in - the rules we are bound by, the Joker was the only one in the film  truly 'free' - but at what cost does freeom come? For all the rules, and red tape we wade through in our lives - isnt it chilling to see what true freedom looks like?

Quick! To the bandwagon!
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #132 on: July 24, 2008, 02:32:57 PM »

Yes, I disagree too.

The Joker is a great character. There's a lot of truth in what he says, however he's incredibly misguided. For example the talk about plans, schemers, etc. and everything going according to "the plan". As another famous movie says "the greatest trick the devil pulled was tricking the world into believing he didn't exist....". Joker is very much similar. He twists the truth, but there is truth in the lie, which manipulates those he's speaking to. Most notably Harvey....he talks about chaos being fair, etc. etc.

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #133 on: July 24, 2008, 06:42:10 PM »

^^ I see your point and that's probably what the writers were aiming for, but I just didn't have that feeling about the character coming away from the movie.  And, besides, when an indiscriminate murderer has feelings of self-hatred and a death wish, I don't find him conflicted, it just shows he still has common sense.

As for the comic relief aspect of the character, I thought he was pretty funny.  Kujo already mentioned it, but that hospital exit was beyond hilarious.  I also got a nice laugh out of "Where's the Italian?"  hihi
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #134 on: July 24, 2008, 08:42:40 PM »

I also got a nice laugh out of "Where's the Italian?"  hihi

Yes! Forgot that!

Also I noticed on the second viewing, after the one thug  is in the jail cell and starts complaining about stoumach pains, the Joker turns his head and makes a face in a "Who Me?" type gesture that made me crack up. There were so many subtle touches he brought to the role.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 05:27:47 PM by Kujo » Logged

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #135 on: July 25, 2008, 04:12:59 AM »

I saw this at the IMAX theatre.

I had never ever seen a Batman movie before, this was my first.

It was alright, well worth the money I spent.

But during the scenes when the Joker wasn't on, I found myself eagerly anticipating his next appearance.

The other characters really didn't do anything for me.  I know I won't go see the next one.

Shut up w.axl.rose!  hihi

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #136 on: July 26, 2008, 11:53:29 AM »

I just saw the movie today and Wow! Ledger's performance was mesmerizing. I think that his portrayal was the best Joker yet. The first half of the movie was mind blowing, but like some others said, it went on for too long.... with the ferry scenes, the crappy sonar vision and a poor choice for the female lead I might add. But, I'd watch it again just to see the Joker. I hope he gets an Oscar for that.

Fuck 'Em All.
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #137 on: July 26, 2008, 08:39:46 PM »

Saw it tonight...great movie, great acting, but calling it one of the best movies of all time is far far beyond ridiculous!

First of all, making a "realistic" Batman movie is a huge mistake. Are we supposed to believe that this city, in the good ol' US of A, is kinda like a better looking Bagdad, with the authorities being completly powerless against a group of not-so-smart looking thugs and a weird psychopath? And Batman's "toys" just don't work when you're trying to make them realistic..the car that after taking a shitload of bumps and crashes, turns into a magical motorcycle that can turn on a fucking wall, the goggles, give me a break !  Tim Burton knew exactly what Batman was: it was pure fantasy, not meant to be taken seriously, but to be enjoyed .

Now, Ledger's performance...it was really really good, but let's not turn the poor guy into Kurt Cobain...dozens of movie performances were far better (actually the Cobain parallel is wrong. Heath was actually good, Kurt was crap). I'm not saying Jack was better or worse 19 years ago, but he was WAY cooler, and that's what I expect from a superhero movie...

Overall, all the main characters except the chick were briliantly played. Bale, Eckhart and the magnificent Gary Oldman (not in his best role, but still...) did great jobs, partially making up for their characters' lack of substance.
    I agree with what was said earlier, the whole White Knight thing behind Dent was clearly lacking credibility. Not to mention his sudden, illogical twist...so his girlfriend died, now he's suddenly a villan, and blames not the guy that did it, but the poor guy that tried to stop it and failed...

As for Batman not killing people, so pathetic, naive and childish...he had the chance to kill a psychopatic terrorist and potentially save many lives, and he pussied out, that makes no sense.

Some might say that I didn't get this movie, the subtle psychological aspects of it, bla bla bla...I did get them, I just din't find them very interesting or well placed...you want a serious movie that makes you think, rent Schindler's List, Scent of a woman, Good Will Hunting, etc, but when you're looking at a guy dressed as a bat fighting a dude wearing Marilyn Manson-like make-up for 2 and a half hours, relax and just be entertained by all the flashy explosions and the cool gadgets, dont look deeper because there's nothing there...

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #138 on: July 27, 2008, 12:22:09 AM »

First of all, making a "realistic" Batman movie is a huge mistake. Are we supposed to believe that this city, in the good ol' US of A, is kinda like a better looking Bagdad, with the authorities being completly powerless against a group of not-so-smart looking thugs and a weird psychopath? And Batman's "toys" just don't work when you're trying to make them realistic..the car that after taking a shitload of bumps and crashes, turns into a magical motorcycle that can turn on a fucking wall, the goggles, give me a break !  Tim Burton knew exactly what Batman was: it was pure fantasy, not meant to be taken seriously, but to be enjoyed .

Doesn't sound too far off to me.  Whether he was a psychopath or not, Capone certainly went to work on Chicago justice for a good amount of time, and that period, as I understand it, was the basis for the crime in this movie.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #139 on: July 27, 2008, 06:57:42 AM »

Doesn't sound too far off to me.  Whether he was a psychopath or not, Capone certainly went to work on Chicago justice for a good amount of time, and that period, as I understand it, was the basis for the crime in this movie.

Whole different era, dude...

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: