Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 06:28:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Batman "The Dark Knight"
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Batman "The Dark Knight"  (Read 83755 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #180 on: July 30, 2008, 05:36:46 PM »

Vikki Vale, I like Batman

Prince's soundtrack to Batman is the FOOKIN SHIT!

Remember Bruce tells him to type in his name when he is done.  Typing in his name caused the sonar to self destruct meaning Bruce only used it this one time and he destroyed it so I think that made MOrgan happy and he didnt resign after all.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #181 on: July 30, 2008, 05:49:29 PM »

Vikki Vale, I like Batman

Prince's soundtrack to Batman is the FOOKIN SHIT!

Remember Bruce tells him to type in his name when he is done.  Typing in his name caused the sonar to self destruct meaning Bruce only used it this one time and he destroyed it so I think that made MOrgan happy and he didnt resign after all.
ah ha, well then. That settles it doesnt it!!! MORGAN STAYS Cheesy

html sucks
Adam Bomb
Banned
Opening Act

KABOOM!

« Reply #182 on: July 30, 2008, 06:55:48 PM »

I haven't seen The Dark Knight yet, but I find it annoying that it is the #1 rated movie on IMDB. Is it really better than The Godfather? Come on!

That happens when a good new movie comes along. As more votes come in, it'll drop down in rankings. Notice the difference in the number of votes cast for 'The Dark Knight' and 'The Godfather'.

Yes I am aware of that, but the new Batman is getting more than its fair share of votes and the average rating of the film goes beyond the typical buzz rating that we normally see. My point being that The Dark Knight just set the bar for that kind of buzz rating and so it can't be judged in the same way. It is about the buzz, yes, but it involves too many people (way more than is normal for this sort of thing) and shows a broader mania. Which means that there really are a lot of people out there who fervently believe this film is better than The Godfather and other long-established greats.

I haven't seen The Dark Knight yet, but I find it annoying that it is the #1 rated movie on IMDB. Is it really better than The Godfather? Come on!

Amazing how the dead can be even more influential than the living.

U know what I find annoying?

People who make judgements about something they haven't even seen.

I find that annoying too. I am not judging the film though. I am just screwing up my face at the prospect of a Batman movie actually being better than a Godfather movie. The very concept sounds so ridiculous! That, and the new buzz standard this movie has set is OBVIOUSLY connected to Heath's death. Great performance or not, you have to admit that.

The man who throws a bomb is an artist, because he prefers a great moment to everything. (Gilbert K. Chesterton)
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #183 on: July 30, 2008, 07:03:04 PM »

I saw it yesterday, in the not so packed half past three of a Thursday afternoon showing.

While I thought that it was great!, I do have one complaint, though not necessarily with the actual film itself...

... My problem was with the trailer. Yes!, the trailer! I tried to avoid finding out too much about this movie, and while the advertising campaign was little short of fantastic, I felt too aware of the movements of the film.

For example, I knew that the "nothing in his pockets but knives and flint," or whatever it was, was coming. You know, I really thought that was going to be the introduction of the joker. After the opening bank heist (which we'd all seen) I had been under the impression that the Joker was going to be arrested for some misdemeanor and allowed to leave, setting up his first meeting with ol' Bats and giving all of that... You know, what's to come feeling and the like.

When that didn't happen, well, I was waiting for it... And waiting for it... And then it came. Much later in the movie than I had expected! Because of the nature of the trailers, I couldn't help but feel that some of the intensity and suspense didn't happen for me.

But that's my only major complaint!, and I'm sure that I'll enjoy it a hell of a lot more on a second viewing.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
A Private Eye
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #184 on: July 30, 2008, 07:16:57 PM »

For example, I knew that the "nothing in his pockets but knives and flint," or whatever it was, was coming. You know, I really thought that was going to be the introduction of the joker. After the opening bank heist (which we'd all seen) I had been under the impression that the Joker was going to be arrested for some misdemeanor and allowed to leave, setting up his first meeting with ol' Bats and giving all of that... You know, what's to come feeling and the like.

When that didn't happen, well, I was waiting for it... And waiting for it... And then it came. Much later in the movie than I had expected! Because of the nature of the trailers, I couldn't help but feel that some of the intensity and suspense didn't happen for me.

I felt the same, I knew Gordon wasn't dead when they were pretending he was simply because he hadn't said the "knives and flint" line yet. It's my own fault for over watching the trailers I suppose, but it did take away some of the suspense.

If Carlsberg made GNR and VR forums.............they'd probably have made www.gnrevolution.com
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #185 on: July 30, 2008, 07:21:55 PM »

Aye, that was another major bit, and there was something else... Something that eludes me right now... But anyway, while we've nobody but ourselves to blame, it still detracted from my first viewing. Subsequent ones won't be affected though!, hoorah!

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #186 on: July 30, 2008, 07:32:28 PM »

thats why im glad i avoided the online marketing campaign and trailers, i barely knew anything and it totally blew me away.

html sucks
Kujo
I wonder why we listen to poets,when nobody gives a fuck
Legend

« Reply #187 on: July 30, 2008, 08:04:05 PM »

But that's my only major complaint!, and I'm sure that I'll enjoy it a hell of a lot more on a second viewing.

You will. There were alot of little subtle moments I didnt catch until the second viewing.

10/07/92 Columbia, SC
04/16/93 Chapel Hill, NC
05/12/06 NYC
05/14/06 NYC
05/15/06 NYC
05/17/06 NYC
10/24/06 Sunrise, FL
10/25/06 St. Pete, FL
10/27/06 Estero, FL
10/28/11 Orlando, FL
Gunsnroses-now
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #188 on: July 30, 2008, 08:18:46 PM »

But given I mostly liked Batman Begins and was a sucker for the Heath Ledger hype, I went to see it.  So first, Heath Ledger -- his performance was very good, you have to hand it to him.  But overall I found the character uninteresting (which is not Ledger's fault).  We get it, the guy's a sociopath.  OK.   Thing is, most human beings can't relate to or empathize with sociopaths (nor should they).  To me, the more interesting villains have been those who have a conflicted sense of humanity. The Joker was anything but conflicted.  Also, I wasn't too taken in with his philosophical rationalizations, because they were just that -- rationalizations, not his true driving force.

I disagree

The Joker was conflicted, for all his bravado he was deeply tramatised and unhappy (his 'stories' about his scars reflecting a deep rooted pain) he was fully aware of what he was and hated himself (he wanted Batman to run him down and kill him)

I agree with almost all your post, except this one part. I don't think a self-hatred is at all why he wanted Batman to kill him. He just recognizes Batman as the most interesting moral entity around, and was willing to die if it meant Batman had to become a hypocrite and cross the line between himself and other criminals.

It's a very similar characterization of the Joker as in The Killing Joke, which I know was a source for Nolan and Ledger. He's out there to expose human indecency and cowardice, to take heroes off their pedastols and scare the 'moral'.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #189 on: July 30, 2008, 09:31:58 PM »

I have stopped watching trailers of movies I want to see. That helps big time. I love going in knowing nothing.

Dark Knight is an awesome movie and I don't see what the big deal is with the Godfather. It seems things are put on pedestals and nothing is allowed to be better. I've already watched Dark Knight twice and Im gonna go see it again and probably a 4th time once it comes to the matinee theater.

bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #190 on: July 30, 2008, 09:54:46 PM »

4th time today, this time in IMAX.  Very cool - especially any aerial, city-shots - but I'm officially done with this movie for a long, long time.
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #191 on: July 30, 2008, 10:00:07 PM »

I don't see what the big deal is with the Godfather

Oh god  Roll Eyes
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #192 on: July 30, 2008, 10:02:24 PM »

^

Point made

People dissing The Dark Knight cause its a "Comic movie" or cause Heath died are just as ridiculous as what I posted.

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #193 on: July 31, 2008, 01:39:12 AM »

The Godfather was a brilliant movie, but I don't see why people think no other film can do better.

Fuck 'Em All.
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #194 on: July 31, 2008, 03:43:07 AM »

I don't see what the big deal is with the Godfather

Oh god  Roll Eyes

What he said.

Was Batman a good movie? Sure. Was it the best movie? Not even...

gnrevolution.com
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #195 on: July 31, 2008, 06:23:37 AM »

^

Point made

People dissing The Dark Knight cause its a "Comic movie" or cause Heath died are just as ridiculous as what I posted.
I actually dont see what the big deal is with the godfather series. Maybe its because the first one is so old, i dont know.

Id rather other gangster movies like Goodfellas and Scarface.

html sucks
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #196 on: July 31, 2008, 10:55:54 AM »

^

Point made

I actually dont see what the big deal is with the godfather series. Maybe its because the first one is so old, i dont know.

Id rather other gangster movies like Goodfellas and Scarface.

I like the Godfather.  It isn't "all time favorite," but perhaps it has just enough broad appeal that it qualifies as "the best." 

Personally...I vote for The Big Lebowski.  hihi

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #197 on: July 31, 2008, 11:22:49 AM »

You almost have to watch The Godfather I and II together and consider it one movie.

Now, the Godfather III?  Never got into that one....

I might actually say Dark Knight would rank above that one, for me......if I was strictly judging based on the individual movies, head to head.

I think GF III might "win out" if taken into context of film, as a whole, because of it's relation to (continuation of, and sort of closure of) the original 2 pics....

But I think Dark Knight actually might be the better made, written, produced and directed of the two, in a "in a vacume" head to head.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #198 on: July 31, 2008, 01:07:21 PM »

^

Point made

Do I need to make a point, really? The Godfather is a perfect piece of film, with a great story, direction and not to mention Al Pacino and Marlon Brando...

The Dark Knight is just a super hero movie... Ok, it's the best super hero movie ever, with an OUTSTANDING performance by Heath Ledger.

But it's not even in the same class as Godfather I and II
Sober_times
VIP

The Proud Winner of a Wooden Spoon.

« Reply #199 on: July 31, 2008, 01:45:12 PM »

I guess I'm one of the few people in the world that think the Godfather is just a good movie that slows to a bore in certain spots and where some of the acting, Marlo's mainly, is overrated. The film has become sort of this mythical thing and was taken to a whole other level when I think it doesn't deserve to be ranked as one of the best films ever made.

To me it is a good film overall but I do not find it deserving of the accolades that people have been giving it. Is it the quintessential mob movie? I can maybe say that because I don't consider goodfellas to be a true movie about the mob.. Is Godfather one of the best films ever made? No.

In respect to The Dark Knight I find it a very entertaining movie. I enjoyed it immensly. Obviously the best comic book film ever made. And I also believe it shouldn't get knocked because it involves a super-hero. I don't think that should lower the quality of a movie as some of have suggested. It was obviously done better and with more skill than any other super-hero flick. And it has also been made better than a lot of other films as well. I think it is more entertaining than the god-father. And though I have lowered my view of the film after first seeing (i said it was one of the best i'd ever seen), I still do believe it is a great film.

I have films I love and here are a few I think are leagues above The Godfather and a few notches above Dark Knight----L.A. Confidential, The Usual Supects, The Shawshank Redemption, Unforgiven, Heat, Goodfellas, and Chinatown.  smoking
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 01:47:14 PM by High_times » Logged

CM Punk is the Best in the World!

I dig crazy chicks like AJ!

HBK is the greatest wrestler of all time!

I miss Edge!

Thats it, thats all I have to say.

P.S. Cena Sucks!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: