Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 11, 2024, 04:44:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228032 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Whatever Happened To Libertad?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Whatever Happened To Libertad?  (Read 10450 times)
Guitar1281
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 01:46:35 PM »

I don't think the problem with libertad had anything to do with the band, there were a few problems with it, three great songs: messages, gas and a dollar, drop the dime, weren't even proper songs on the album. Problem 2: It wasn't promoted at all and neither was their tour, i live in buffalo and i never heard any libertad songs on the radio and new many people who were fans, albeit not hardcore fans, of either GNR, VR, or STP and they didn't even know they came here when i talk to them about the concert with alice and chains. Problem 3: the song order is bland it kind of drones on but listening to the songs in a different order really spices up the album, and problem 4, it was mixed like garbage, there are cool things being done with vocal layers, guitar parts, bass lines, but the way its mixed i sounds like one blob of music and it totally ruins it, the other day i finally listened to it after partaking in some uh.... "medicinal herbs" and cranked it and it sounded amazing, that shouldn't be the way i have to listen to that album but if it was mixed better i wouldnt have to haha.

Listen to my tribute to Axl - Parasite

https://soundcloud.com/withliberty/parasite
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 03:12:07 PM »

People keep saying the album wasn't promoted at all.  That's just not true.  There was PLENTY of promotion for the album.  They were on Kimmel, took over Sirius Octane for a weekend, on Stern.  Maybe those 3 things only appeal to people like me, but I certainly heard plenty from them leading to and after the albums release.  The lack of promotion was NOT the reason the album failed, all those that think that have to come to grips with that.  The interest just wasn't there this time around.  It was highly anticipated the first time around, but the interest just died down.  And if you continue to blame the lack of promotion, anything that is highly anticipated would get plenty of promotion.  If you think Libertad didn't get proper promotion, what does that tell you?

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2008, 09:33:16 PM »

I'll tell you what happened.

The album lacked the firepower and hard rock that Contraband had. It had too much filler tracking.

Also, it was over 3 years from the time Contraband came out.

06 should of been the year... but they took too long, and lost firepower in the music.

Still a solid album, but Contraband will always be a classic to me.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
mojoeye
Banned
Headliner

Everything is true, always.

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2008, 05:12:30 AM »

I strongly feel that V.R. should reflect on their choices in marketing, promotion, etc. For example, 'She Mine' had a very modern sound to it; I feel the choices in singles were marketed towards a watered-down classic rocker demographic: i.e. those of us in our 30's who 'apparently' sit around and watch VH-1 all of the time. Hell, even 'Psycho Killer' could have been a single or used in a film. All in all I feel the record is good, the first song on the album, 'Let it Roll' is strong and up-beat. But it is as if there was a fear and reluctance to direct the album towards the youth as opposed to, say, the Matchbox-20 crowd. Fingers started pointing and the band dissolved. How Sad. I wish they followed their muse and didn't worry about who it reached; That the art was in the music, sort of a Stooges, 'Raw Power' direction instead. None the less, I love those guys and the music they've collectively made over the years.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2008, 06:55:36 AM »

I'll tell you what happened.

The album lacked the firepower and hard rock that Contraband had. It had too much filler tracking.

Also, it was over 3 years from the time Contraband came out.

06 should of been the year... but they took too long, and lost firepower in the music.

Still a solid album, but Contraband will always be a classic to me.

Couldn't have said it better. Slash has never tread water with his guitar riffing more than he did on Libertad.
There are some good solos here and there, but riff wise, it might as well be some other by-the-numbers bland rock guitarist in there.

Contraband still kicks ass. It's the perfect mix of STP and GN'R.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 10:23:13 AM »

The album was promoted, but not to the extent of Contraband. Also as someone already mentioned they should have put Messages on the album and released it as a single. That is a realing amazing song. I am sure that song would have gotten plenty of airplay. The album is good, but you can tell it was rushed. I really wished they would have stuck with Rick Rubin to see what they would have come up with. I am sure it would have been way better than what it is.

It is funny how Axl & Slash are on the two opposite extremes when working on material. Axl takes seventeen years to finish an album and Slash takes seventeen weeks to finish an album. Neither is good for the fans.
dont_damn_me
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2008, 01:15:03 PM »

They should have included Surrender, good vid of it on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbCA4CAhiyE
Mudkicker
Headliner

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2008, 01:29:14 PM »

They should have included Surrender, good vid of it on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbCA4CAhiyE

surrender is from the contraband era. It was released as a b-side to the 7" fall to pieces single as well as on a bonus disc that was exclusive to best buy that included surrender, no more no more and negative creep.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2008, 04:39:28 PM »

...Well? I know it didn't do well at all, but I was just interested in knowing how many units it sold? How come they never put out a second single or even try to promote the album?

it was a fucking terrible album...thats what happened to it...Gravedancer and Last Fight dont suck....but the rest of it does...boring, boring, boring, boring , boring, generic radio rock....worse than Nickelback, Hinder, and Daughtry combined....which pisses me off because 'Contraband" was awesome....and "Messages" might be the best VR song ever and they left it off of the album Huh
gnrlies247
Rocker

Axl- you fuckin' rock!

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 11:03:56 AM »

...Well? I know it didn't do well at all, but I was just interested in knowing how many units it sold? How come they never put out a second single or even try to promote the album?

it was a fucking terrible album...thats what happened to it...Gravedancer and Last Fight dont suck....but the rest of it does...boring, boring, boring, boring , boring, generic radio rock....worse than Nickelback, Hinder, and Daughtry combined....which pisses me off because 'Contraband" was awesome....and "Messages" might be the best VR song ever and they left it off of the album Huh

It wasn't that bad lol.I quite liked the album athough it had a few week songs on there.
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 11:19:26 AM »

What the fuck is a libertad

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
Alfie Bones
Rocker

I'm on the nightrain.

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 11:23:30 AM »

Contraband still kicks ass. It's the perfect mix of STP and GN'R.

But if you never liked STP, it sucks. I'd love to see what the Revolver boys can do when they find a lead singer with actual range.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2008, 02:11:20 PM »

one of the worst albums ever made
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2008, 02:24:45 PM »

I like Libertad much more then Contraband, production was also a lot better.
makane
Legend

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2008, 02:43:59 PM »

what the fuck is a troll

one of the worst posts ever made

btw. why the hell do you come to "Ex-Gunners" section Jimbob? I dont think you've ever said anything "positive" here?

Yeah, and Libertad is a retarded name for their album. I remember them trying to put some idiotic twist to what it ment...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 02:48:32 PM by makane » Logged

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2008, 03:15:56 AM »

what the fuck is a troll

btw. why the hell do you come to "Ex-Gunners" section Jimbob? I dont think you've ever said anything "positive" here?

Yeah, and Libertad is a retarded name for their album. I remember them trying to put some idiotic twist to what it ment...

wow.  i guess you really told me.   Roll Eyes

I am a huge Izzy Stradlin fan, own and love a lot of his solo albums.    I think Paul Tobias is one of the most underrated guys ever to play in GnR.   Buckethead is probably the most technically gifted guy to ever be in the band.     I have positive things to say about ex-gunners.  And Robin Finck is my favorite guitar player ever and its quite possible we will be using this section to talk about him as well in the near future.. 

But lets be real.  This is a Guns N' Roses site, so if someone wants to post that Libertad is a horrible album, I don't see a problem.    People are here on this site for Chinese Democracy.. if they want VR, they have their own fansites as they are their own band.
makane
Legend

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2008, 02:53:04 PM »

what the fuck is a troll

wow.  i guess you really told me.   Roll Eyes

I am a huge Izzy Stradlin fan, own and love a lot of his solo albums.    I think Paul Tobias is one of the most underrated guys ever to play in GnR.   Buckethead is probably the most technically gifted guy to ever be in the band.     I have positive things to say about ex-gunners.  And Robin Finck is my favorite guitar player ever and its quite possible we will be using this section to talk about him as well in the near future.. 

But lets be real.  This is a Guns N' Roses site, so if someone wants to post that Libertad is a horrible album, I don't see a problem.    People are here on this site for Chinese Democracy.. if they want VR, they have their own fansites as they are their own band.

I should've been more accurate and ask you why you come to VR section.

Nothing wrong with criticism, but you're just trolling this section.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
overmatik
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2008, 10:46:07 PM »

The problem with both Contraband and Libertad to me is that I was expecting VR to be a GNR like band, but Scott managed to influence the other guys so that VR albums were much more close to STP sound than to GNR sound.

Thank god that Scott is back to STP, that's his place, and let's hope they can find a nice singer!
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2008, 11:43:42 PM »

Listened to the album some on the way home.  Some really great songs and great playing on the album.  You can hear all the intruments clearly and and Duff's Bass sounds great.  I think lack of promotion and poor single choice killed the album.  Last Fight was a Cool tune.  The Can't Get You Out of My Head was smoking!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2008, 12:37:40 AM »

What people don't realize with VR also is, They'd slap that album together in like a couple months. Not really taking time to throw away the duds and really refine everything to be great.

They settled for good and thats why a lot of people don't like it.

Solid songs on there

I still sing the hell out of Let It Roll

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: