Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 11:56:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228016 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  With the release=albums sold thread...
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: With the release=albums sold thread...  (Read 9668 times)
Thinizzy
Headliner

"I'm everywhere Focker"- Robert DeNiro

« on: October 17, 2008, 03:13:10 PM »

So now that the release date has sunk in alittle bit and it seems like 93% of everyone likes the track listing, what certified status will CD achieve? gold, plat, double plat...etc. predictions? and from this site's perspective, what should it achieve? if it only reaches gold or so is it a failure? obvious to all of us on the site know it wont be but critics i bet will classify it as a failure if it doesnt sell double plat maybe i guess. thoughts?

Thinizzy  Cool

NOV 25!!!!

"Senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, still serve a purpose." -Jim Carrey
JuicySwoos
VIP

Thatwhy

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 03:14:54 PM »

If the 3 million purchase buy Best Buy rumor is true, it will go at least 3x platinum

2002- Minneapolis, MN
2006- Ames, IA
2006- Minneapolis, MN
2011- Minneapolis, MN
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Las Vegas, NV
2016- Chicago, IL
2017- Minnea
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 03:16:11 PM »

2x plantinum in the states .  probably 10 x or more would wide.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
destroier
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 03:22:07 PM »

It will get gold the first week, maybe even platinum. I think it's a given that it goes multi-platinum. It sure won't be judged a failure based on the number of sales. Just look at how many copies Greatest Hits sold. I think CD sells between 5 and 10 million the first year. It will go Diamond eventually.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 03:26:33 PM by destroier » Logged
Silverchair
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 03:34:04 PM »

1st week... 250k copies. May debut #2 or #3... I believe Kanye is releasing an album. Britney too...

Sucks... but altogether 3 to 4 million. IMO

"They don?t make ?em like Vince Neil or Tommy Lee anymore. And there sure hasn?t been another Axl Rose. " via MSNBC- 2008.

"Think For Yourself, Question Authority"

HUMOR = Negative Karma
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 03:43:11 PM »

well considering it is a exclusive release, which is a good thing..

it will debut @ #1, and wind up selling 4-6 millions copies.

which is a huge success in today's market

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 03:46:48 PM »

First week US:  500,000-700,000

US totals: 2-3 million in a year or so after the release depending on how many hit singles there are

Worldwide: 8+ million within a year or so of release
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 04:06:55 PM »

3,000,000 or more would be a great success for the album.
2,000,000 would match VR's first album and be considered anticipated
Anything that is one-platinum or less would be considered a failure.

Don't forget that the subsequent albums have to retain these sales figures in order to demonstrate the level of popularity of the new GNR.
MNW

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 04:10:30 PM »

3,000,000 or more would be a great success for the album.
2,000,000 would match VR's first album and be considered anticipated
Anything that is one-platinum or less would be considered a failure.

Don't forget that the subsequent albums have to retain these sales figures in order to demonstrate the level of popularity of the new GNR.
MNW

Ive been saying for years that the success of the new band, even with like VR won't be properly judged until the 2nd album.

First album, u have the hype, legend, mystique and all that surrounding it, so people get curious and buy it.

2nd album tells u how many  liked the first album.

Obviously in VR's case, not many did, so it will be interesting to see how well the follow up to CD does.

i expect CD to sell 500k first week and to sell somewhere around 3 million in the US.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Thinizzy
Headliner

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 04:19:59 PM »

1st week... 250k copies. May debut #2 or #3... I believe Kanye is releasing an album. Britney too...

Sucks... but altogether 3 to 4 million. IMO

i really hope that a britney or kanye album wouldnt affect the sales of CD, considering the fan base and so on. and wouldnt that be kanye's 2nd album this year? im not sure. i really think that CD will out sell VR contraband no problem.

Thinizzy  Cool

"Senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, still serve a purpose." -Jim Carrey
Sandinista
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 04:20:34 PM »

Well if Best Buy has already bought 3 million copies then it will be certified 3x platinum as soon as the band applies for certification.
vanilie
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 04:49:25 PM »

more than greatest hits

more than 10 millions in usa and one more 10 millions (at least) in the rest of the world
 beer

Thinizzy
Headliner

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 11:14:19 PM »

Well if Best Buy has already bought 3 million copies then it will be certified 3x platinum as soon as the band applies for certification.

i really dont know much about the process, In theory if best buy only sold one million it would still be 3x platinum bc of the fact best buy already bought them? that 3 milll will go quick i bet

Verse Chorus Verse
Legend

It's here!

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 11:16:41 PM »

I'm think at most 250k first week, then dropping from there. It'll probably go platinum by a year of it's release, maybe 6 months.

Louis Landon for Peace in Iraq
"This is the new Guns 'n Roses, deal with it or get off the planet."
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 11:21:06 PM »

Will do Metallica type numbers in it's first week - there is a big GNR base as well as a lot of curious people.  I'm guessing they will really go all out from here till nov 25 with marketing/promotion as well.

Reviews will make/break this being a mega hit though.  Good reviews, I say it goes 4 million.  If not so good...  1-2 tops.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
DarkKnight
Headliner

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 11:39:09 PM »

i really dont know much about the process, In theory if best buy only sold one million it would still be 3x platinum bc of the fact best buy already bought them? that 3 milll will go quick i bet

I don't think it works that way.  It will still be rated based on units sold to the consumer...
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2008, 11:40:10 PM »

Will do Metallica type numbers in it's first week - there is a big GNR base as well as a lot of curious people.  I'm guessing they will really go all out from here till nov 25 with marketing/promotion as well.

Reviews will make/break this being a mega hit though.  Good reviews, I say it goes 4 million.  If not so good...  1-2 tops.

Reviews really mean jack shit in entertainment.  There are so many movies and albums that get great reviews and don't make any money, and movies and music that get terrible reviews and make money by the ton

This album has a built in big first week due to the band's hardcore following, the band name, all the stories about this album and so on.  

Its legs will depend on two things:  hit singles and word of mouth.  That's it.  Reviews rarely if ever translate to sales
DarkKnight
Headliner

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2008, 11:40:19 PM »

Agreed.  1.5 million - 2 million tops.  Reviews are going to be rough, because this is not a pop album.  I'd be shocked if Death Magnetic sells 2 million. 
DarkKnight
Headliner

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 11:47:08 PM »

I'm think at most 250k first week, then dropping from there. It'll probably go platinum by a year of it's release, maybe 6 months.

I just looked at the charts.  You realize Rihanna's "Good Girl Gone Bad" is only double platinum after almost 18 months on the charts?  That album is a mega-success worldwide and in the US.  I don't see Chinese Democracy going platinum in 6 months. That would be a miracle.  It's a cool disc, but it's not Appetite or even close.  Just look how many platinum CD's there are on the charts.  They are few and far between...
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 11:52:01 PM »

I just looked at the charts.  You realize Rihanna's "Good Girl Gone Bad" is only double platinum after almost 18 months on the charts?  That album is a mega-success worldwide and in the US.  I don't see Chinese Democracy going platinum in 6 months. That would be a miracle.  It's a cool disc, but it's not Appetite or even close.  Just look how many platinum CD's there are on the charts.  They are few and far between...

Chinese Democracy will be platinum within 4 weeks of the release.  I'd be willing to bet money on that
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: