Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 07:11:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227983 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Does Axl Need To Set The Record Straight? (Once and for All)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does Axl Need To Set The Record Straight? (Once and for All)  (Read 22578 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2008, 02:27:31 PM »

Instead of doing a regular interview type thing, it might be a cool idea that during the concerts that Axl tell the story behind the making of each song right before they play it.  He can pick a few songs each show and add a little bit more to the story each night or change up which song he wants to talk about.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2008, 02:32:11 PM »

I think the music will do the talking in this case.  Cool
kingcanute
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2008, 02:32:49 PM »

I think Slash knew, keeping in mind the time it took to record UYI, that with Axl's need to tinker and polish the songs in the studio, it would take a long time time, including long periods of "dead time" for some band members, to finish the album. And that's partly why he didn't want to do it. Slash needs to keep himself occupied all the time and prefers touring ahead of studio time, as far as I have understood. That point of view may well have been perceived by Axl as not wanting to commit to the project. Lack of communication certainly contributed to the split, too.

Just my two cents though.

I hope Axl gives some kind of interview or something to the fans, perhaps as an exclusive to those who buy CD - a link with a code or something.
Jimmy?
You can't really dust for vomit
Legend

Don't you try to stop us now.......

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2008, 02:40:02 PM »

Instead of doing a regular interview type thing, it might be a cool idea that during the concerts that Axl tell the story behind the making of each song right before they play it.  He can pick a few songs each show and add a little bit more to the story each night or change up which song he wants to talk about.

that would be awesome for us die hard fans....i think the average fan would just wanna hear the music though.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2008, 02:44:17 PM »

that would be awesome for us die hard fans....i think the average fan would just wanna hear the music though.
I was thinking more along the lines that not only would that be awesome for the die hard fans but also that it's a great way for the average or new fans to really get to know the new songs on a more personal level.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
GeraldFord
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2008, 02:48:40 PM »

I'd like to hear his side of the story with regards to the Cobain '92 MTV thing...
marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2008, 03:04:11 PM »

If music does the talking, then the first released tracks don't say very much.

Axl can certainly handle publicity because he's experienced. He may not be as notorious or naive as he was in 1988 when he was 26 years old, even he  knows that interviews, footages and publications will go a very long way towards promoting the new music. Axl always has been able to command attention and he should not back away at all, particularly at this junction when he needs to talk with the music.

He won't back down, Tom Petty,

MNW

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2008, 03:45:29 PM »

Imagine somebody with the user name Hudson having "a little trouble" believing that.

You know where you can discuss your namesake.

History has proven Axl to be right.

In case you didn't notice.

Just because you like to just write songs and record it quickly, then release it, doesn't mean you're interested in working on something until it's great. Go look up what Rick Rubin told those guys.

Jarmo I agree with you, but it kind of proves my point. I am not trying to say Axl is liar by any means, simply that this part of the statement is odd considering the way Slash writes and releases music.

My point is that Slash would most likely want to do the AFD type album, because it is the style he most comfortable with, rush the material as usual,  get it done, and move on. Whereas Axl would want to tweak the album to perfection before releasing it like he did with CD. I am not trying to pick sides believe it or not... but that part of the statement is kind of strange to me.

My biggest criticism of Slash would be that he rushes to finish a lot of his material, which does not allow him to achieve his full potential. I wish he would have worked with Rick Rubin because I think Contraband would have been amazing. Everything Rick Rubin touches turns to Platinum. I think the dynamic of Slash and Axl works well because they balance each other out and bring out the best out of each other.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2008, 04:09:16 PM »

My point is that Slash would most likely want to do the AFD type album, because it is the style he most comfortable with, rush the material as usual,  get it done, and move on. Whereas Axl would want to tweak the album to perfection before releasing it like he did with CD. I am not trying to pick sides believe it or not... but that part of the statement is kind of strange to me. ring out the best out of each other.

Well, if you think everything made quickly is "AFD type" I guess you love Snakepit and VR then.

The reason Axl didn't do that type of album was because Slash wasn't interested in it. As Axl said. As soon as Axl thought there were things that could work, Slash lost interest.

Slash's friend Marc Canter said that Slash assumed Axl would ask him to return to GN'R. Well, guess he was wrong!

GN'R did the "stop gap" album thing in 1988 and 1993. GN'R Lies and "The Spaghetti Incident?" were basically just fun projects put out while they worked on the next album.

Imagine following "TSI?" up with the Snakepit album...  nervous

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2008, 05:38:53 PM »

Jarmo I am not disagreeing with you and I am not I saying Axl is lying about what he said. I believe there may be truth to what Axl is saying, but there is more behind it. I think he is being a little vague (not on purpose) by not elaborating on some of those statements making it contracdictory to what we have seen from Slash.

The reason Axl didn't do that type of album was because Slash wasn't interested in it. As Axl said. As soon as Axl thought there were things that could work, Slash lost interest.

Slash's friend Marc Canter said that Slash assumed Axl would ask him to return to GN'R. Well, guess he was wrong!

GN'R did the "stop gap" album thing in 1988 and 1993. GN'R Lies and "The Spaghetti Incident?" were basically just fun projects put out while they worked on the next album.

Imagine following "TSI?" up with the Snakepit album... 

I still find it hard to believe that Slash would not want to do an AFD type album, because his follow up material has been more similar to that style than the material on CD. That is why to me, it was Axl who was not interested in doing that type of album.

We have also heard from other people who worked on CD, say that Axl wanted to do a more industrial album. I may be wrong but I do not think Axl has ever said he wanted to do an AFD type album when working on CD.  What I am trying to say is that Axl was probably adamant as to the type of album and music he wanted to make and was not willing to compromise even with Slash and the other members even if it meant that they would quit the band.

AFD was not rushed at all. If you read how it was recorded you know they were very particular in the recording process as they have been with all their albums.

Snakepit was rushed, because there was no one including Axl challenging Slash to come up with better riffs or writing lyrics. I think if Slash and Axl worked together on some of the work on Snakepit there would have been a different result. I am not saying it would have been AFD II, but better than Snakepit. Snakepit is not GNR caliber but it does some cool riffs, solos, and music.

Like I said before I believe Axl & Slash push each and challenge each other resulting in creating great music. Axl has thanked Slash for his contributions to Estranged and NR, and other songs.

I did not know Marc Canter said that... thanks for pointing that out.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2008, 05:48:43 PM »

I still find it hard to believe that Slash would not want to do an AFD type album, because his follow up material has been more similar to that style than the material on CD. That is why to me, it was Axl who was not interested in doing that type of album.

Did you read the press release from 2002?

Axl wanted to do an album he thought would make Slash happy. Slash didn't feel like putting in the effort.

I may be wrong but I do not think Axl has ever said he wanted to do an AFD type album when working on CD. 

?Originally I intended to do more of an Appetite style recording but with the changes in the band's dynamics and the band's musical influences at the time it didn't appear realistic. So, I opted for what I thought would or should've made the band and especially Slash very happy. Basically I was interested in making a Slash record with some contributions from everybody else."

What I am trying to say is that Axl was probably adamant as to the type of album and music he wanted to make and was not willing to compromise even with Slash and the other members even if it meant that they would quit the band.

I think he wanted it to be a band album, not a "here's my ten songs let's record them" album.

Snakepit was rushed, because there was no one including Axl challenging Slash to come up with better riffs or writing lyrics. I think if Slash and Axl worked together on some of the work on Snakepit there would have been a different result.

Guess who took the songs and went off and did his own thing with them, because he wasn't interested in working on them some more?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2008, 06:11:34 PM »

?Originally I intended to do more of an Appetite style recording but with the changes in the band's dynamics and the band's musical influences at the time it didn't appear realistic. So, I opted for what I thought would or should've made the band and especially Slash very happy. Basically I was interested in making a Slash record with some contributions from everybody else."

Maybe we are reading this differently, but my interpretation of this statement is... Axl wanted to make an album that would make Slash happy. But if that is the case why would Slash not want to stick around and work on an album with Axl if Axl is giving into Slash's concessions according to Axl. It does not make sense. I am not saying Axl is lying but there is some information missing here. Would you not agree with that?

On a side note... I remember reading when they recorded UYI Slash and Axl were sending each other riffs and lyric back and forth and they worked on a lot of stuff independently. I think  Axl may have wanted to do this again and Slash may have wanted to try to get together like when they wrote material for AFD.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2008, 07:14:56 PM »

Maybe we are reading this differently, but my interpretation of this statement is... Axl wanted to make an album that would make Slash happy. But if that is the case why would Slash not want to stick around and work on an album with Axl if Axl is giving into Slash's concessions according to Axl. It does not make sense. I am not saying Axl is lying but there is some information missing here. Would you not agree with that?

Well, maybe it was like this:

Slash: Here, I got the songs for our next album.
Axl: Ok, we can do some of them and work a bit more on them.
Slash: No, all of them. They're done, no need for more work.
Axl: No, they need some work.
Slash: See you! I'm gonna record them myself!

/jarmo

IKnowWhereIAM
VIP

Out of the shadows, into...Hell?

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2008, 07:44:11 PM »

/jarmo
I watched an interview with Axl and Slash - 89'ish I think (link added: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9K4tAyze44 {go-to 3:03}) - and the thing I came away with more than any of the stuff they answered, was Slash making some comment about him being the GnR sound...I was actually impressed with Axl's reserve at that point, and disgusted by Slash's apparent ego trip.

Even in his book, it's pretty clear that Slash wanted ALL his stuff recorded, Axl only liked some of it...Slash walked.   Snakepit had a few decent songs, that - with Axl's vocals - could have been great...have to wonder if those were the ones Axl wanted to 'work' on?  Shame on dope fiend Slash for breaking up 'old' GnR...Kudo's to 'new' Slash for getting over himself and (hopefully) the bad blood.  It was pretty classy the way he handled those dickwads from WBCN trying to drag him into Axl/CD bashing.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 07:53:25 PM by IKnowWhereIAM » Logged

"I have no comment, for the record, but don't quote me on that"
m_rated96
Rocker

slash slash slash

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2008, 07:58:52 PM »

why do you people even bother defending axl's actions. almost every single person that has come into any sort of contact with him has acknowledged hes a difficult person; you can love his music, but he's clearly a recluse-freak of some sort. You can't make an excuse for every single thing that has happened, it just becomes ridiculours.

From all indications and interviews we've read from Axl does he seem like the type of person who would suck slash's dick and say " hey yeah man maybe we can get together and be creative and work on each others ideas!!"

Can you honestly defend that without doubting it yourself? The man is clearly not good with other people. He does make great music tho... i don't think he's a liar, just a recluse, and I'd be interested still to hear his side of the whole story;
makane
Legend

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2008, 09:00:33 PM »

why do you people even bother defending axl's actions. almost every single person that has come into any sort of contact with him has acknowledged hes a difficult person; you can love his music, but he's clearly a recluse-freak of some sort. You can't make an excuse for every single thing that has happened, it just becomes ridiculours.

From all indications and interviews we've read from Axl does he seem like the type of person who would suck slash's dick and say " hey yeah man maybe we can get together and be creative and work on each others ideas!!"

Can you honestly defend that without doubting it yourself? The man is clearly not good with other people. He does make great music tho... i don't think he's a liar, just a recluse, and I'd be interested still to hear his side of the whole story;

Those are probably just the people who didnt get along with him, and then decided to talk shit about him in the press. There has probably been alot more people who got along just fine.

Obviously he doesn't get along with everyone, but that doesn't really bother me. Hes an unique person and thats just the way it is.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 09:07:26 PM by makane » Logged

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
Hudson
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »

My point is not to point fingers at whos fault it was. I am sure that is not how it went down, considering everything you and I have both read. If it did go down like this I would be the first to say Slash was a dickhead. I think at the time Slash knew he would have to make compromises with Axl, I mean he had to sign over the rights to the band just to get Axl to go on stage. How much more compromising can he be?

I am inclined to believe that Axl had a vision of how the next record was going to sound and he felt that he would not compromise his vision regardles of the outcome.  I can appreciate Axl's position not to compromise his vision to a certain extent because I do believe he is a musical genius and i believe he can create extraordinary music. However, my opinion is he paid a huge price by having the former members quit/fired. Time will tell if it pays off. I believe when it is all said and done CD and this version of the band will be commercially succesful, but will always be compared to the former members and the critics will always favor the original. That is just my opinion, I could be wrong and again that is not a knock on the new band or new material because as I have said I think the material is great and the band is good. It will be the whole VH argument... Dave or Sammy? Origial vs. New?

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2008, 11:42:16 PM »

Slash presented 12 songs. Axl said he could do a few of them.

Slash took his songs and put out the Snakepit record.

Then quit the band thinking Axl's not gonna be able to make it without him.

That's how Slash's friend Marc Canter recalled the events in an interview.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 11:10:24 AM by jarmo » Logged

Verasa
Be original.Be yourself
VIP

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2008, 11:42:28 PM »

David Lee Roth- Hands down!!

You make fair points Hudson, I'm still wondering how this became a full on old lineup conversation/debate

my whole point in this was to see if you guys think axl needs to set the record straight for the casual fans, for the people who havent heard a new GnR song in 17 years and is wondering what the hell happened.

If i was a casual fan and liked the new gnr song, heard the guitarist was going to be on a radio show and tuned in, only to hear the guitarist in a fucking panic state, scared to make a off comment.. I would be a little put off, i was as a die hard fan.

how many casual fans read the 2002 press release?  How many fans really, i mean really have a clue what happened to the band? they know or may know slash's side, but do they know Axl's side?  Do they deserve it? I dont know, if Axl doesnt think so, so be it

what im getting is a lot of people judging the band before they hear the song.. take howard stern..who is a fan, judged the song before it was heard and had his mind made up that it was going to be horrible...untill he listened to the track and then was so misinformed about what was going on that he sounded like a dumbass. My local radio station is not playing the track at all because they have a opinion  on the band that may or may not be changed with Axl speaking his mind. Maybe it will not do any good at all, oh well , rant over

My point is not to point fingers at whos fault it was. I am sure that is not how it went down, considering everything you and I have both read. If it did go down like this I would be the first to say Slash was a dickhead. I think at the time Slash knew he would have to make compromises with Axl, I mean he had to sign over the rights to the band just to get Axl to go on stage. How much more compromising can he be?

I am inclined to believe that Axl had a vision of how the next record was going to sound and he felt that he would not compromise his vision regardles of the outcome.  I can appreciate Axl's position not to compromise his vision to a certain extent because I do believe he is a musical genius and i believe he can create extraordinary music. However, my opinion is he paid a huge price by having the former members quit/fired. Time will tell if it pays off. I believe when it is all said and done CD and this version of the band will be commercially succesful, but will always be compared to the former members and the critics will always favor the original. That is just my opinion, I could be wrong and again that is not a knock on the new band or new material because as I have said I think the material is great and the band is good. It will be the whole VH argument... Dave or Sammy? Origial vs. New?

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 11:44:35 PM by I.K.N.K.N » Logged

5/14/06 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
11/12/11 Kansas City, MO
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2008, 01:00:46 AM »

I know he has spoken about things here and there, the press release in '02 touched on things and the Rock In Rio 01' show he talked about the old lineup and his feelings on that situation..
 I guess what I'm trying to get at is -imo- lots of people are pre-judging the material before its even heard,judging the band knowing nothing  about them.  People just dont know Axl's side of the story on many many things and Axl chooses to remain silent and keep band members silent. Axl is extremely press sensitive, he doesnt like any kind of criticism what-so-ever  and I think it bothers him alot. Somehow he needs to work on thickening his skin because this album is going to get the good, bad and the ugly reviews.
 I think a one on one sit down interview w/ Kurt Loder or any pro-axl interviewer would work in just getting his side of the story out on his journey making the record, his feelings on the old lineup leaving him. Maybe it wouldn't do any good at all but I think people should hear his side on things before they judge him and the album.

anyways my $ .02   
 peace

I'd love to see some current interviews with Axl.

As for "setting the record straight" -  About his journey making the record, yeah - I'd like to hear that. 

As for "setting the record straight" about the old line up "leaving him" - I'd love to hear his version of the story.  His side of that is not going to set the record straight - just another side.  All sides are viable and part of the whole story.  No single one is the "right" version that will set it all straight.       
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: