Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 07:12:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Sorry - the song
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sorry - the song  (Read 74109 times)
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #420 on: December 30, 2009, 10:33:14 PM »

Song sounds awesome live. Love the rhythm playing in the background.

DemocracyRose
« Reply #421 on: January 03, 2010, 12:30:38 PM »

Axl sounds fantastic live in that song... Tongue
Lou
Rocker

« Reply #422 on: January 06, 2010, 06:08:59 AM »

"Sorry" is a truly amazing song. I can't seem to get enough of it  ok

My Last.fm profile - in case you ever wanna know what I'm listening to...
My Webzine/Blog Thingy
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #423 on: April 29, 2010, 09:46:54 PM »

This song in my view truly lived up to the anticipation it received, prior to the albums release. I love the tempo, and how it borders between a rocker and a ballad. Axl's use of vocal delay effects, works brilliantly with the slow rhythm in the background.

This is an amazing piece of art, and represents the diversity that Chinese Democracy presents.  ok
gnr85
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #424 on: December 08, 2011, 05:49:32 PM »

I have been listening to this song a lot lately and (remember this is just my opinion of the song what i take of it) It seems hes talking to Slash kinda i dunno i maybe crazy but that's what i take from the song. what does everyone else think

It Tastes Good Don't It?
Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #425 on: December 12, 2011, 06:14:47 AM »

That's probably right. Although I wonder who could think Axl talks too much! Very poor lyrics, with a distinct if-I'm-rubber-you're-glue quality.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #426 on: December 12, 2011, 08:45:32 AM »

Could be. I agree with Chuzeville though.
Some of the poorest written lyrics I've heard out of Axl's mouth. Didn't think he had it in him.
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #427 on: December 13, 2011, 03:00:13 AM »

No no. Sorry is great, both lyric and music! I'm not sure it's about Slash. Could be some x-girl or something like that...Remember, Axl's been accused for a lot of shit by girls...

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #428 on: December 13, 2011, 06:14:04 AM »

I think it's one of the best songs Axl's ever done in terms of lyrics and performance. They may not be the deepest lyrics he's ever written, but they're not supposed to be... it's a song about being pissed off, and trying to be anything other than direct in one of those songs wouldn't work. Their directness and the actual delivery of the lines put it up there with some of the other greats from both that album and Use Your Illusion. (Even if I still laugh every time I hear "but I don't want to do it").

I was just disappointed by how it comes across live. It's not very good at all in concert.
LongGoneDay
VIP

« Reply #429 on: December 13, 2011, 01:06:51 PM »

I think it's one of the best songs Axl's ever done in terms of lyrics and performance. They may not be the deepest lyrics he's ever written, but they're not supposed to be... it's a song about being pissed off, and trying to be anything other than direct in one of those songs wouldn't work. Their directness and the actual delivery of the lines put it up there with some of the other greats from both that album and Use Your Illusion. (Even if I still laugh every time I hear "but I don't want to do it").

I was just disappointed by how it comes across live. It's not very good at all in concert.

Maybe poorly written isn't the best term. Simplistic for sure, and you're right, that was probably the intent.
I just can't get past them. The Sorry for you, not sorry for me line especially.

Also, it seems I've heard Axl say the following in different words 1,000 times, and it's tiresome to me.

You like to think
In some way
That it's me
And not you

I like the acoustic guitar. I like the haunting feel of the song, and I actually really like Axl's vocal melody. Just not into the words.
Unfortunately that seemed to be the theme of Chinese Democracy for me. I felt like I knew every song by heart after one listen(lyrically) whereas it took me years to know all the words to Use Your Illusions. I'm hoping he's got another song in the vein of RNDTH, or Garden of Eden in the chamber.

gnr85
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #430 on: December 13, 2011, 03:52:36 PM »

Maybe poorly written isn't the best term. Simplistic for sure, and you're right, that was probably the intent.
I just can't get past them. The Sorry for you, not sorry for me line especially.

Also, it seems I've heard Axl say the following in different words 1,000 times, and it's tiresome to me.

You like to think
In some way
That it's me
And not you

I like the acoustic guitar. I like the haunting feel of the song, and I actually really like Axl's vocal melody. Just not into the words.
Unfortunately that seemed to be the theme of Chinese Democracy for me. I felt like I knew every song by heart after one listen(lyrically) whereas it took me years to know all the words to Use Your Illusions. I'm hoping he's got another song in the vein of RNDTH, or Garden of Eden in the chamber.

man RNDTH is amazing i love how hes just ranting but its great just doing what axl does best,telling it like it is

It Tastes Good Don't It?
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #431 on: December 13, 2011, 04:13:23 PM »

I like Sorry on it's own. It's got a cool feel to it. I think the lyrics are strong even though they're simple.

But.....it's yet another song on Chinese Democracy where the lyrics are super bitter and Axl plays the victim role. That theme wears a little thin by the end of the album which is one of my few gripes with CD.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #432 on: December 14, 2011, 08:16:51 AM »

Great song, simple lyrics but they work. Buckethead's guitar work is awesome as usual - one of my fav solos on the album.

Fuck 'Em All.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #433 on: December 14, 2011, 10:40:04 AM »

i'd wish the guitars to be louder and vocals not so dominant.
vocals and lyrics just dont do it for me on this song.

Re-Union time, baby!!
westcoast_junkie
VIP

Here to hell, gone today....

« Reply #434 on: December 14, 2011, 01:21:15 PM »

It's great live. Filled with emotions, both musical and lyrical. It was the only song where I couldn't hold back the tears in their live-set anno 2010.

Life is what happens in-between each fight on the message board....
icpillusions
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #435 on: December 26, 2011, 08:04:46 PM »

I thought slash the first time I heard "you chose to hurt the ones that love you and won't Set Them Free!" cause I read somewhere that the VR song Set Me Free was ment to get back to Axls camp to hear.
BumbleBuzz
Rocker

Guns N' Roses Strong Since 1999!

« Reply #436 on: January 02, 2012, 12:27:23 PM »

I seem to recall Axl has been quoted, as saying on stage to an audience around 2008/9, that the song had nothing to with Slash - I think he said this in Mexico?

2006.06.09 - Dublin, Ireland
2006.07.29 - London, England
2010.09.01 - Dublin, Ireland
2012.05.17 - Dublin, Ireland
2012.05.23 - Newcastle, England
2017.07.17 - London, England
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #437 on: January 22, 2012, 10:55:41 AM »

I like Sorry on it's own. It's got a cool feel to it. I think the lyrics are strong even though they're simple.

But.....it's yet another song on Chinese Democracy where the lyrics are super bitter and Axl plays the victim role. That theme wears a little thin by the end of the album which is one of my few gripes with CD.
That is why I like to think of this album as a personal album for him, he was able to vent through out, alot of crap he was indeed bitter about and probably felt a million different feelings about alot of folks in his past life.  I think the songs on this album point in alot of different directions without mentioning or labeling any one person.  If we think we know enough about him we should in our own mind have an idea of where the songs are going and whom he may be thinking about.  Just my own thoughts.  I love Sorry and it is and can be very fitting in a part of my own world...

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
sandman
Legend

« Reply #438 on: February 26, 2012, 07:34:25 PM »

i was listening to UYI 2 and when "Get in the Ring" came on i was reminded that "Sorry" is similar in that it's a big "FU." and then when the lyric "i'm gonna kick your ass!" came on it got me thinking about the lyric from "sorry" ("i'll kick your ass like i said that i would").

i wonder if Axl is referencing that lyric in GITR when he says "....like i said that i would." the message in both songs is similar so it wouldn't shock me if Axl referenced GITR.

was this lyric specifically discussed by Axl? or did anyone in these threads discuss it or come up with other ideas? i know some didn't like it cause they think it's cheesy.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #439 on: February 27, 2012, 01:58:23 AM »

That's badass Sandman. That connection with GITR. I like
That. I bet you are right.   That is awesome.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: