Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 06:23:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy HTGTH member reviews
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy HTGTH member reviews  (Read 52935 times)
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #140 on: November 25, 2008, 09:52:04 PM »

4 out of 5 in my book. Good album. Some of the audio tricks they throw in sound so good.  beer Good job Axl and crew. Make the next album harder and more industrial and you'll be on a roll!

gnrevolution.com
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #141 on: November 25, 2008, 09:54:29 PM »

* Riad (you might say i'm insane, you may say ''what the hell are you writing asshole'', you can say whatever you want about the lines I'm going to type) is (at least, with only one listen) the VERY BEST FUCKING ROCKER SONG of this band, and the second best song of the album. Absolutely mindblowing, terrific, outstanding, superb song, full of rage and strength, with that incredible new intro that I KNOW i will listen when I put my seatbelts on, preparing myself to drive at 150 km/h like a maniac while the rest of the track goes on... and that Bumblefoot solo its freaking-fucking atomic bomb. Perfect song, better than any other rocker GNR has done before, guess what? even better than jungle, ISE, and any hard track I've heard before. I'll give it a 14 out of 10. INSANE track.

lmao, I was just about to go to bed, but you just inspired me to put Riad on my stereo and turn the volume up and give it another listen! Is is really that fucking good? Grin

(P.S., I'm about to post my own review of the album as well, the reason why I am taking so long is because I want to let all the songs really sink in first peace)

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #142 on: November 25, 2008, 10:39:49 PM »

So, I have had the album since Friday now, and have had a good amount of time to let it really sink in. Actually, that is one of the things you discover when you first listen to the LP, it is massive! There are so much going on in the songs, I think I have heard new licks, riffs, short solos, "Pitman effects", background vocals etc. every time I am listening.

CHINESE DEMOCRACY
The obvious opener for the record given the intro and in-your-face opening riff. In some ways it reminds me of Welcome To The Jungle for these reasons. The song itself is really good, with awesome work from Bumblefoot espescially during the verses with the grinding, grooving rythm guitar. Axl sounds great (as he does on all tracks really). As many reviews have mentioned, Chinese Democracy lacks a great hook, but I do not feel like I am missing anything really. The riff is catchy, and one feels like singing along. Having said this, it is really a straight forward rocker, and does not try to be anything else.

SHACKLER'S REVENGE
This song has Buckethead written all over it (although Ron is performing the solo). Industrial comes to mind when listening, it is not quite though it is leaning in that direction (not a bad thing really). The most prominent, and sing-along-friendly chours, but I am sure most of us are having trouble hitting those high notes. A catchy song, not my favourite on the album but it blows most other songs on the radio straight to sea.

BETTER
As far as rock songs goes, this must be one of the best songs for the last ten years at least I am sure. The best rocker on the album, and this one deserves a video. Robin Finck was always one of my favourite members of Guns N' Roses, and I am glad this song came out and now represents what he is capable of. That solo is just genious.

STREET OF DREAMS
I am happy to hear a more guitar-driven "Street Of Dreams". This is how the song sounds best in my opinion (given the various versions we have heard live). As we all are well familiar with the song, it ain't too much to say really. I guess this one is bound to be a single in the future. Again, loving the guitar work, espescially the outro solo.

IF THE WORLD
First time I heard this, I was not quite sure... The word different came to mind. Different from anything we have heard from Guns N' Roses earlier (as a few other songs on the record I guess). It did not take long for me to realize, it is different in a really good way. When listening to this song really loud, the remarkable production really shines. This is magically well done, and I cannot think of anything out there sounding as good as this (there probably is, but this is right up there among the greats). Buckethead and Pitman (Axl is a given on all songs..) stands out on this track.

THERE WAS A TIME
This is the "guitar solo track" on Chinese Democracy, oh man! I have listened to most of Buckethead's previous work, and was always hoping he would give one of his blistering, heartfelt and soulful solos to this project. Goddamn did he deliver! For this song alone he can crown himself as a guitar God. Finck gets an honourable mention as well, good job. Lyrically I am loving this almost as much as the next track.

CATCHER IN THE RYE
So, this is the song dedicated to the memory of John Lennon I believe. One can hear some sort of Beatles-feel to the whole thing. As mentioned above, the lyrics to this song is, for me, just mindblowingly perfect. Especially when the last verse starts, I get a Coma flashback. Outro solo going over the verse is a classic. Great track.

SCRAPED
Brand new song, never heard before, really excited. As with "If The World", my mind was boggling a bit when the song first started, but no worries here either. It came around, big time. I won't do any ranking of the songs, because for me, at least right now, it is impossible. The verses are intense, with good lyrics, and amazing vocal performance by Axl.

RIAD N' THE BEDOUINS
Now this is the song that went from "what the fuck is this?" (Las Vegas 2001) to "what the fuck is better than this?". The live version I am talking about did not do justice to this song at all. I am not blaming Axl & co for that, come on, they had been rehearsing together for the first time just weeks ahead of the concert premiere of the song. A lot of changes have been done to the song over the years as well I guess. The chours just haunts you. Bumblefoot does a great job on the new solo as well.

SORRY
Another "new" one. Some of Axl's best work in my book, I love his voice right here. Nothing bad to say about this song. Cool lyrics, cool groove, cool solo, cool chours.... It is just cool.

I.R.S.
After hearing the demo of the song, it was my least favourite. I thought it sounded sort of flat. Album version does not at all! The dynamics of this song is just unbelivable, now it sounds like the live version, which plain out rocks. Single material for sure, people will love this one.

MADAGASCAR
This is a song with soul, you can hear it in Axl's voice. I have loved this tune ever since 2001, and hearing it on the record now, seven years later, loving it even more. I was surprised to hear that Chris Pitman have been involved to such a degree, he is obviously really talented.

THIS I LOVE
The first really big surprise of the album. We had all heard about this song for ages, and expectations have been through the roof. I was surprised, this was not at all what I thought it would be. It was amazingly much better. I cannot express how geniously beautiful this song really is. Robin Finck is a guitar hero, Axl has written a masterpiece. This one will stand the test of time, it is timeless.

PROSTITUTE
Could not have ended the album in a better way. "Fire and Ice" was a good description of the song. I will take the opportunity to give my thanks to Brain and Frank for some fantastic drumming throughout the whole record (this song is amazing). Guitar work/solos on this song are (as on everything else) superb. Thank you!

As I went through all the songs while listening to them, I came to realize while writing, I have not one bad thing to say about the songs on the record. I love 'em all. It might be the excitement speaking right now, as the whole thing is as fresh as a young lemon, but I truly believe I'll say pretty much the same things in a year. Hell, in ten years!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 09:05:39 PM by Spirit » Logged

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #143 on: November 25, 2008, 10:45:01 PM »

So, I have had the album since Friday now, and have had a good amount of time to let it really sink in. Actually, that is one of the things you discover when you first listen to the LP, it is massive! There are so much going on in the songs, I think I have heard new licks, riffs, short solos, "Pitman effects", background vocals etc. every time I am listening.

CHINESE DEMOCRACY
The obvious opener for the record given the intro and in-your-face opening riff. In some ways it reminds me of Welcome To The Jungle for these reasons. The song itself is really good, with awesome work from Bumblefoot espescially during the verses with the grinding, grooving rythm guitar. Axl sounds great (as he does on all tracks really). As many reviews have mentioned, Chinese Democracy lacks a great hook, but I do not feel like I am missing anything really. The riff is catchy, and one feels like singing along. Having said this, it is really a straight forward rocker, and does not try to be anything else.

SHACKLER'S REVENGE
This song has Buckethead written all over it (although Ron is performing the solo). Industrial comes to mind when listening, it is not quite though it is leaning in that direction (not a bad thing really). The most prominent, and sing-along-friendly chours, but I am sure most of us are having trouble hitting those high notes. A catchy song, not my favourite on the album but it blows most other songs on the radio straight to sea.

BETTER
As far as rock songs goes, this must be one of the best songs for the last ten years at least I am sure. The best rocker on the album, and this one deserves a video. Robin Finck was always one of my favourite members of Guns N' Roses, and I am glad this song came out and now represents what he is capable of. That solo is just genious.

STREET OF DREAMS
I am happy to hear a more guitar-driven "Street Of Dreams". This is how the song sounds best in my opinion (given the various versions we have heard live). As we all are well familiar with the song, it ain't too much to say really. I guess this one is bound to be a single in the future. Again, loving the guitar work, espescially the outro solo.

IF THE WORLD
First time I heard this, I was not quite sure... The word different came to mind. Different from anything we have heard from Guns N' Roses earlier (as a few other songs on the record I guess). It did not take long for me to realize, it is different in a really good way. When listening to this song really loud, the remarkable production really shines. This is magically well done, and I cannot think of anything out there sounding as good as this (there probably is, but this is right up there among the greats). Buckethead and Pitman (Axl is a given on all songs..) stands out on this track.

THERE WAS A TIME
This is the "guitar solo track" on Chinese Democracy, oh man! I have listened to most of Buckethead's previous work, and was always hoping he would give one of his blistering, heartfelt and soulfull solo's to this project. Goddamn did he deliver! For this song alone can he crown himself as a guitar God. Finck gets an honourable mention as well, good job. Lyrically I am loving this almost as much as the next track.

CATCHER IN THE RYE
So, this is the song dedicated to the memory of John Lennon I believe. One can hear some sort of Beatles-feel to the whole thing. As mentioned above, the lyrics to this song is, for me, just mindblowingly perfect. Especially when the last verse starts, I get a Coma flashback. Outro solo going over the verse is a classic. Great track.

SCRAPED
Brand new song, never heard before, really excited. As with "If The World", my mind was boggling a bit when the song first started, but no worries here either. It came around, big time. I won't do any ranking of the songs, because for me, at least right now, it is impossible. The verses are intense, with good lyrics, and amazing vocal performance by Axl.

RIAD N' THE BEDOUINS
Now this is the song that went from "what the fuck is this?" (Las Vegas 2001) to "what the fuck is better than this?". The live version I am talking about did not do justice to this song at all. I am not blaming Axl & co for that, come on, they had been rehearsing together for the first time just weeks ahead of the concert premiere of the song. A lot of changes have been done to the song over the years as well I guess. The chours just haunts you. Bumblefoot does a great job on the new solo as well.

SORRY
Another "new" one. Some of Axl's best work in my book, I love his voice right here. Nothing bad to say about this song. Cool lyrics, cool groove, cool solo, cool chours.... It is just cool.

I.R.S.
After hearing the demo of the song, it was my least favourite. I thought it sounded sort of flat. Album version does not at all! The dynamics of this song is just unbelivable, now it sounds like the live version, which plain out rocks. Single material for sure, people will love this one.

MADAGASCAR
This is a song with soul, you can hear it in Axl's voice. I have loved this tune ever since 2001, and hearing it on the record now, seven years later, loving it even more. I was surprised to hear that Chris Pitman have been involved to such a degree, he is obviously really talented.

THIS I LOVE
The first really big surprise of the album. We had all heard about this song for ages, and expectations have been through the roof. I was surprised, this was not at all what I thought it would be. It was amazingly much better. I cannot express how geniously beautiful this song really is. Robin Finck is a guitar hero, Axl has written a masterpiece. This one will stand the test of time, it is timeless.

PROSTITUTE
Could not have ended the album in a better way. "Fire and Ice" was a good description of the song. I will take the opportunity to give my thanks to Brain and Frank for some fantastic drumming throughout the whole record (this song is amazing). Guitar work/solos on this song are (as on everything else) superb. Thank you!

As I went through all the songs while listening to them, I came to realize while writing, I have not one bad thing to say about the songs on the record. I love 'em all. It might be the excitement speaking right now, as the whole thing is as fresh as a young lemon, but I truly believe I'll say pretty much the same things in a year. Hell, in ten years!

Perfect review man, you basically expressed most of my own thoughts about the album and these songs! peace Very well written!

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
Lady Livin
Louder Than Love
Rocker

Don't fear the reaper

« Reply #144 on: November 25, 2008, 10:59:03 PM »

I can't believe so many people give a shit about that line in "Sorry." Get over it.  rofl @ calling him a vampire.
Grizzly
Opening Act

I'm the son of rage and love.

« Reply #145 on: November 26, 2008, 02:12:33 AM »

Now I have heard this album through and through, and after listening to it a dozen times I finally get the hang of it and starting to know the songs. First of all, this album is everywhere! It sparkles, it shines, it explodes, it is a journey in itself. The songs are so mighty that my head feels overloaded with sonic landscapes just after 3-4 random chosen songs, and that is a good thing.

The first five songs are good. "Chinese Democracy", "Better" and "Street of Dreams" are really good. But then, at least for me and my ears, things start to slow down. "There was a time" and "Catcher in the rye" have excellent verses and some other good parts, but they just fall apart when it comes to the choruses. Then I tend to skip right to "Madagascar", pretend that that musical song was never made, and head straight to "Prostitute".

The lyrics are generally okay. Verses are getting repeated as if there were nothing more to say. I would rather have the songs shorter than listen to the same verse all over again during the same song. I absolutely think he could have done a better job with the lyrics. Is this all he have to say? There's gotta be more...

I will take CD, Better, Street of Dreams and Madagascar with me. I'm sure that these songs will be a huge part of my life for the next couple of years, and they will be given a meaning, and I will look back at 2009 and 2010 and remember these songs. The rest just don't work for me.

6/10
Lady Livin
Louder Than Love
Rocker

Don't fear the reaper

« Reply #146 on: November 26, 2008, 02:18:00 AM »

The one thing I have always appreciated about this band is its ability to have nearly any song grow on you. It's guaranteed to happen! It's currently in the process of doing so right now.

beer Viva la GN'F'N'R
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #147 on: November 26, 2008, 02:29:15 AM »

I won't give a song by song review just yet- BUT I honest to God am coming to believe that Chinese Democracy is the greatest Guns N' Roses album ever.... and I'm a die-hard fan since 1988. The only caveat to this opinion is that I am one of the minority of fans who preferred the Illusions to Appetite For Destruction- so I certainly understand that there's a sizable portion of the GN'R fan base and general rock community who would regard my opinion as sacrilege (because I've already been hearing that for the last 17 years  Tongue ). At any rate, to me Chinese Democracy is 50% Use Your Illusion III and 50% something modern and as of yet undefinable. It's a truly exciting rock record that simultaneously pays homage to the band's classic storied past while at the same time moves the band onto exciting, new experimental territory. There Was A Time (  hihi ) when all great rock bands would try to do this every so often. What a credit that Axl/GN'R is the FIRST to even attempt it- much less successfully- in years. 10/10. ok
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 02:33:42 AM by MaoAxl » Logged

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #148 on: November 26, 2008, 02:36:08 AM »

I won't give a song by song review just yet- BUT I honest to God am coming to believe that Chinese Democracy is the greatest Guns N' Roses album ever.... and I'm a die-hard fan since 1988. The only caveat to this opinion is that I am one of the minority of fans who preferred the Illusions to Appetite For Destruction- so I certainly understand that there's a sizable portion of the GN'R fan base and general rock community who would regard my opinion as sacrilege (because I've already been hearing that for the last 17 years  Tongue ). At any rate, to me Chinese Democracy is 50% Use Your Illusion III and 50% something modern and as of yet undefinable. It's a truly exciting rock record that simultaneously pays homage to the band's classic storied past while at the same time moves the band onto exciting, new experimental territory. There Was A Time (  hihi ) when all great rock bands would try to do this every so often. What a credit that Axl/GN'R is the FIRST to even attempt it- much less successfully- in years. 10/10. ok

Your opinion is valid. I started out liking Appetite a ton. But it's more on dimentional when I heard Illusions I liked it because there was more too it. I still go back and listen to Appetite too though because those songs are bad ass. Really all GNR albums rock. I'd consider CD to be just as good as the illusions. Not comparable to AFD just because they are different styles. More complex, more in the songs ect.

www.bluejayfever.com

Blue Jays Site/Forum...Need Some Members For This Board. We Plan To Make It The Best Jays Site Online.
Lady Livin
Louder Than Love
Rocker

Don't fear the reaper

« Reply #149 on: November 26, 2008, 02:42:38 AM »

I am one of the minority of fans who preferred the Illusions to Appetite For Destruction

Well, include me in that minority then.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #150 on: November 26, 2008, 09:24:23 AM »

I am one of the minority of fans who preferred the Illusions to Appetite For Destruction

count me in that minority too.

AFD is ranked 4th in my GNR best album ranking, under:

1) CD
2) Illusion II
3) Illusion I

Positions 2 and 3 may vary, but the 1? place is safe and it will always be.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #151 on: November 26, 2008, 09:32:57 AM »

Has Jarmo reviewed this yet?  I keep popping in to hear his thoughts, only to be turned away.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #152 on: November 26, 2008, 09:36:27 AM »

I won't give a song by song review just yet- BUT I honest to God am coming to believe that Chinese Democracy is the greatest Guns N' Roses album ever

is the greatest album ever for now Cheesy
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #153 on: November 26, 2008, 10:33:28 AM »

Great job Spirit!  One of the best reviews yet, to include any written by "official" critics.

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #154 on: November 26, 2008, 10:39:25 AM »

STOP THE PRESSES: I'm listening to C.D. (bought it last night) Right now as I'm writing this I'm listening to Better into Street of Dreams. It's so freaking good to hear Axl!!!! This cd is a modern bitch-slap rockin album. Some of the reviews of critics who put this cd down are a bunch of wankers and nerds. (Get a fuckin' life). This is a killer cd and I'm only up to the 4th song.
The music is wonderful. Even though the old crew are not here on the cd the guitar players, bass and drummers did their job as far as painting the best they could for each song.
Love the synth-noises. Love the Spanish-intro of If the World.
As I predicted the long wait was worth it. This cd has more substance and artistic rock creditably than any of the current groups that are on the Billboard charts. Modern rockers take notes. You can learn allot from this album!!!!! A++++++++++++ and than some!!!!!!               
(And yet there is a backlog of songs.....expect some more G&R in the future!!!!!!

Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #155 on: November 26, 2008, 11:12:45 AM »

Maybe it is the place I am in life now compared to the late 80s/early 90s but, I find a few tracks off the Illusions to be immature to the point of them being unlistenable. Songs like GITR, SB, last half of Breakdown. The point is I am hitting the skip button more on the Illusions then I would when I am in an Appetite mood. Take it for what it is. Obviously I dig the fuck out of a lot of the songs but if I was wanting to make a best of Illusion 1 and 2 I could, and have, fit them all on 1 CD.

That being said, I think time will be ridiculously good to Chinese Democracy. I think it will age a whole lot better then the Illusions (and Appetite for that matter as it is such a product of its time). Shit I used to like GITR. Used to say shit like "Yea fuck Mick Wall and Kerrang" when that shit played. I think there is a genuine timelessness to the songs on Chinese. Its 14 solid to masterful tracks. It leaves me speechless and speaks to me in ways I didn't think new music would ever do. Science bless Axl Rose. Unbelievable. I thought deep down it would be really weird not have Slash and it would be a little weird. Now, I just don't care. GN'R were always about having the best musicianship. They could never be denied because of it. The musicianship here is first rate. It is not second to any previous work. Fuck me....

... I guess what I am trying to say

(maybe what I have been fighting to say but, couldn't)

Chinese Democracy is Guns N' Roses best album. From the epic cover I now display proudly on the wall (I love the vinyl), to every last second beginning to end. It really is a Guns N' Roses masterpiece. Which kind of makes it one of the finest albums in rock n roll. I think time will show this will in people minds sit pretty next to their favorite Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, and Rolling Stone album. Believe it.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 11:14:18 AM by Buddha_Master » Logged

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #156 on: November 26, 2008, 11:54:57 AM »

If the World ----should of been the James Bond theme song for Quantum Solace!!!!!! smoking
demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #157 on: November 26, 2008, 12:03:55 PM »

My brief review, to be followed by more fleshed out thoughts on the songs in a couple of days...

In short it's a very good album. Not a truly great album (see AFD, Let It Bleed, Dark Side of the Moon etc), but a very good album.
There's a number of songs I love and most of the rest I like, although there are two or three that either drag or don't flow as well as they might (for me).

The performances and production are excellent, although there are places where too much has been added to songs that I think would be stronger without so many 'extras'.

Favourite tunes so far: Sorry, Chinese Democracy,  If The World, TWAT
Least Favourite: Catcher in the Rye, Prostitute, Street of Dreams

Overall 7/10
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 12:27:24 PM by demo23nz » Logged
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #158 on: November 26, 2008, 01:05:19 PM »

If the World ----should of been the James Bond theme song for Quantum Solace!!!!!! smoking

I was disappointed with QOS. I loved Casino Royale, and would argue it is the best Bond film. If The World is too good for QOS.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #159 on: November 26, 2008, 02:04:37 PM »

I was disappointed with QOS. I loved Casino Royale, and would argue it is the best Bond film. If The World is too good for QOS.

I didn't get a chance to see the new bond movie. I really did like Casino Royale. I suggested The World because it has that James Bond element in it as far as the music. Was the bond movie that bad???
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: