Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 05:18:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Who would you like to see as the Opening Act on the next tour?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who would you like to see as the Opening Act on the next tour?  (Read 113387 times)
The Glow Inc.
Headliner

« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2009, 10:06:06 AM »

Faith No More would be the ultimate band but I don't see Mike Patton getting along with Axl...like...at all. Shit would be bound to happen. I mean look at what happened back in 92.
Red1
VIP

yeah, you probably have seen me around.....

« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2009, 10:10:06 AM »

I think Faith No More would be a good choice. 
Morley
Opening Act

There's stories to be told...

« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2009, 10:11:17 AM »

1 FNM

2. ACDC

3. GNR

Here Today... I'm afraid... nervous
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2009, 10:12:12 AM »

You don't have to agree.  But when you say that most bands make money from merch, just think about that a bit harder.  The only bands that sell enough merch for that to be a viable argument are the ones that are already sell albums in the high thousands.  

Without people buying the Coldplay, U2, Nickleback albums in their millions - the labels would not be sending bands out on tour cause they couldn't afford to.  

I have met two bands this year - both of whom have previously been on the cover of Kerrang / Rocksound etc, who are now quitting the band and have full time jobs because they can't afford to be in a band.  

The music industry has not yet worked out how to monetise the internet revolution outside of the already succesful bands - but they need to work it out quickly.

360 deals just about work for the labels (for big bands) but are financial suicide for smaller bands.

You do have some good points, im afraid i cant argue as i don't know enough about the industry side of things.  Interesting though! Smiley

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2009, 10:14:34 AM »

1 FNM

2. ACDC

3. GNR

i cant see ACDC being an opening act though.  Im sure they'd wanna be headliners

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2009, 10:18:13 AM »

Without people buying the Coldplay, U2, Nickleback albums in their millions - the labels would not be sending bands out on tour cause they couldn't afford to. 

Do the labels send bands out on tour and finance it? Huh
Red1
VIP

« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2009, 10:19:52 AM »

You don't have to agree.  But when you say that most bands make money from merch, just think about that a bit harder.  The only bands that sell enough merch for that to be a viable argument are the ones that are already sell albums in the high thousands.  

I have met two bands this year - both of whom have previously been on the cover of Kerrang / Rocksound etc, who are now quitting the band and have full time jobs because they can't afford to be in a band.  

The music industry has not yet worked out how to monetise the internet revolution outside of the already succesful bands - but they need to work it out quickly.

360 deals just about work for the labels (for big bands) but are financial suicide for smaller bands.

You do have some good points, im afraid i cant argue as i don't know enough about the industry side of things.  Interesting though! Smiley

Sorry, I was coming across like a smart ass.  I'm no expert, but I know a bit about this subject.

Just before I go back to the topic, here is some food for thought.....

I was told last week (by someone that would know) that Slipknot has not made Corey Taylor a millionaire.  Sounds ridiculous, but it is true.
Red1
VIP

« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2009, 10:22:50 AM »

Do the labels send bands out on tour and finance it? Huh

Some do.  In most cases, smaller bands will buy-on to the tours.  Backyard Babies toured the UK last year and both support bands paid to be on that tour.  Whether the band paid for it themselves (which many do) or a label / manager paid I do not know in this instance.

Obviously the exception to this is when the support band shares a label - such as the recent announcement that Black Stone Cherry will support Nickleback on the UK dates in May.  I believe they are both on RoadRunner.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2009, 10:27:52 AM »

I thought it was mostly the management companies that deal with tours.
gnrfan1797
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2009, 10:41:40 AM »

Let's face it. Anyone is better then cky or mix master mike.
Silverchair
Rocker

« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2009, 10:43:44 AM »

Record labels pay for it... the artist must pay back. Management is who handles where and how many shows the artists do. Since the money is paid back and there is no royalty issues with tours, the artists make more money. That is how artists truly make money, by touring. The label depending on the artists may or may not pay at all. So if the artist is big enough, like Madonna, they finance it themselves, knowing full well they will not only make their money back... but make a very nice return.

"They don?t make ?em like Vince Neil or Tommy Lee anymore. And there sure hasn?t been another Axl Rose. " via MSNBC- 2008.

"Think For Yourself, Question Authority"

HUMOR = Negative Karma
John Galt
Rocker

Peace Sells... But still no one is buying goddamit

« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2009, 10:47:12 AM »

BAch was cool last time - not Weezer as saw them in 02 and they were bobbins.  Faith No More would be cool,  but can't see it happening after 1992 issues....  to be honest, I will probably be in the bar until GnR  beer and then make headway to the front ....
Nighteyes
VIP

« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2009, 01:01:35 PM »

I can't see Motorhead, Slayer, Anthrax or Megadeth opening for Guns, they draw their own fans, and alot of people who like them do not like Guns. At least I haven't met anyone who does :/ .

shit happens when you party naked
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2009, 01:46:34 PM »

What's wrong with MMM?
gnrfan1797
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2009, 03:22:52 PM »

What's wrong with MMM?

Just couldn't get into him. I saw them in albany in 2002 and i left thru both cky and mmm set couldn't wait for gnr. But that's how it seems to always be when a big band comes. It's not like back in the day when you looked forward to seeing all the bands unless it's a double headlining tour.
PolarBearWitchHead
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2009, 04:11:44 PM »

i'd love to see either MCR or mindless self indulgence they would rly mesh imo

if those guys aren't big enough marilyn manson but they are prolly too big, so maybe like a hip hop act might be ok
downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2009, 04:31:08 PM »

A co-headling bill with Guns and Muse would be amazing.

I love MUSE but they still are no where near the GNR atmosphere. MUSE is one of my fav bands... but they're not co-healining equals.

I hated Papa Roach... lame songs and grew tired of all those damn power chords. Hope to gawd they are no where near the next batch of shows...

I'd love to see Alter Bridge. They have a great singer in Myles, and have pretty good songs.

You call yourself a MUSE fan but question whether they're big enough to co-headline with GNR?  Now in North America this would be a correct statement, but perhaps not so much in Europe.  Muse are HUGE!  They were the first band to sell out the new Wembley Stadium, in fact they sold it out back to back nights.  That's 136 000 people over two nights.  Granted some were drawn by the fact that Wembley Stadium was brand new, but Muse has major pull in Europe.  GNR would do well by having them play with them if they wanted to fill stadiums in Europe. 

Thanks to GNR's 2006 Inland performance I became aware of Muse.

Cheers,

Andrew

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2009, 04:53:54 PM »

I think the obvious two bands that could help pull off a stadium tour are Van Halen and/or Aerosmith.  The flip side to that equation is that I can't see either band opening for this incarnation of Guns.  If it were the original lineup, then that would be a different story. 

The other names being thrown around, ie. Kid Rock, Kings of Leon, Avenged Sevenfold, etc., would work if they were committed to selling out arenas.  You have to factor in that GNR has already toured twice on the strength of their back catalogue, most are now aware that this isn't the same band that made GNR a house-hold name, and few except for the hardcore fan-base are that energized about hearing anything from Chinese Democracy. 

The only way I can see it work is for a band like Aerosmith or Van Halen to act much like Metallica did in '92 and agree to play first because they have no interest in waiting around for Axl to get onstage.  If it's viewed from a logistical or practical perspective it may work.  If pride overrules, I can't see how an arraignment would be reached.

Cheers,

Andrew

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
TokyoRose
Headliner

« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2009, 05:15:56 PM »

Rage Against the Machine, or 7 Year Bitch
Classic Case
Rocker

I know that I'm a classic case

« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2009, 01:28:16 AM »

well now the rumour is Van Halen...and I hope is a fact....would love to see them also.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: