Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 05:51:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GUNS N' ROSES NAMES DJ ASHBA AS BAND'S NEWEST AXEMAN
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GUNS N' ROSES NAMES DJ ASHBA AS BAND'S NEWEST AXEMAN  (Read 247531 times)
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #440 on: March 24, 2009, 09:53:49 PM »

.... and why couldn't that happen to Gilby? Or Ron, Richard or DJ?
Never said it wouldnt.

The difference between us is that you expect everyone to accept whatever version of Gnr is out there because its "GNR". Whereas I think that the players in the band have to earn that. Some will, some wont.

When a band releases an album, and they tour, it creates exposure. Add to that a video, maybe some interviews.

People see you in magazine, on TV, on stage and they fall in love with the guys who are in the band.

It doesn't have to mean that they wrote the music. If they're in the band at the time. That's all it takes.

So far from my experience as a GN'R fan, this theory has worked since day one.

Some even start loving a member based on looks! I know, it sounds crazy but it's true! These people don't read song writing credits, yet their rooms are filled with posters of these guys. Isn't that weird?

You havnt answered the question...

You insist that people loved old GNR because they were in "GNR". How come people are not automatically accepting any of Axls lineups from 2000-present? Afterall, each of the players are in GNR. Why cant GNR just pick up where the old band left off in terms of public appeal etc?

I don't understand that since the two of you are upset that the band had to replace members leaving, why are you still here?

Haven't you had enough?

Are you just here to point out how much better things were in 2002?

We just got the album and some of you are already talking about how they have to put out a new one!

The ironic thing is that even if you're so unhappy, we both know you'll be at the next GN'R show....
Im here because of Axl Rose. When he leaves, I leave.

Never said I wouldnt be at the next GNR show.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 10:09:29 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #441 on: March 24, 2009, 09:56:31 PM »

I don't understand that since the two of you are upset that the band had to replace members leaving, why are you still here?

Haven't you had enough?

We just got the album and some of you are already talking about how they have to put out a new one!

The ironic thing is that even if you're so unhappy, we both know you'll be at the next GN'R show....

Axl Rose
Slash
Duff McKagan
Izzy Stradlin
Steven Adler
Matt Sorum
Dizzy Reed
Gilby Clarke
Paul Tobias
Josh Freese
Chris Pittman
Robin Finck
Buckethead
Brain
Tommy Stinson
Richard Fortus
Bumblefoot
Frank Ferrer
DJ Ashba

That's 19 names... for fuck's sake you people are already getting into arguments about whether the New-New Guns N' Roses is really the New Guns N' Roses without Robin Finck and Buckethead!

Yes, people will come out to see Axl Rose in concert... but you can't tell me this many lineup changes doesn't have any effect on you whatsoever?  Or do you somehow only consider it ONE replacement since the album was a fresh start.  If they changed 8 members overnight and then released a new CD, would that also be OK as a fresh start?

When you're destroying Kiss & the Chili Peppers (and approaching Spinal Tap) in terms of replacements and BEING destroyed by those bands in terms of number of albums and tours... I don't know... it just takes a lot of the love and "giving a fuck" out of it for some fans.

Anyways, welcome DJ.  Fans, soak in his performance as much as you can... don't take your eyes off him during his solos... it may be his last tour with GN'R!
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #442 on: March 24, 2009, 09:59:05 PM »

i really wish you people would stop complaining about lineup changes.
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #443 on: March 24, 2009, 10:01:01 PM »

I really wish they would stop happening.   hihi

I guess we should both know better, huh?
RebelRose89
Rocker

It's Showtime!

« Reply #444 on: March 24, 2009, 10:02:22 PM »

it's hard to think of a band where every member but the lead singer can be replaced and still think of it as a band, regardless of how they want to portrait it.

a....isn't billy corgan (lead singer) now the only member of smashing pumpkins....?

yeah, last i heard they were doing great!

is smashing pumpkins in 2009 something guns should be comparing themselves to?
well with Zeitgeist they did have a hit rock single with Tarantula - with a video, played Letterman / Late Shows,  & were involved on the Transformers soundtrack (a major film score) ... yeah you're right thats really not that impressive

well, as far as hit single goes, if you consider this great
U.S. Billboard Pop 100   50
U.S. Billboard Hot 100   54
Australian ARIA Rock Singles Chart]   7
U.K. Singles Chart[7]   59
Latvian Airplay Top[8]   13
Danish Single Chart[9]   14
Irish Singles Chart[10]   44

yeah, low expectations, so i thought so, even though they did do better on the rock chart. doing late shows every band does it, and some aren't even that good, i should know, because i watch a lot of tv and being on a soundtrack is a lot easier if you have a big name band and a big label, and guns did that too.

but if you put it that way, gn'r could've done better yes, because even this encarnation of the pumpkins were able to do all that average stuff.
dude i'm not saying they're a top 10 type of band (4 what they are & what they've become it's not that bad atall), i'm just saying they've done it, and have gotten a lot less grief about it from the media / average joe rock fan perspective.
obviously most of this stuff i mentioned above is average run of the mill schtick 4 a rock band...
 but its not the point; point is - if they can do it, guns can do it bigger & better (when they want/able to)
whatever i don't want this shit clouding up a welcoming 4 DJ Ashba! just cast judgment when ya see & hear him live.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 10:04:14 PM by RebelRose89 » Logged

Go Sabres - Go Bills - Go White Sox
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #445 on: March 24, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »

FYI, Jimmy Chamberlin is in the current lineup of the Smashing Pumpkins as far as I know...

Edit - Sorry, I just read this: In March 2009, Corgan announced that Chamberlin had left the band, but that he would continue to record and perform without him under the band name.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 10:10:26 PM by Eazy E » Logged
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #446 on: March 24, 2009, 10:10:16 PM »

I really wish they would stop happening.   hihi

I guess we should both know better, huh?

what can you do?

you can either go see them this summer when they tour or you can go on message boards and complain about it.

I'm one of robin's biggest fans..  and I'm always going to be.  I ran a fansite for him for 2 years.    I'm happy that he's happy doing what he's doing, and while I will miss him in GnR sometimes, I think DJ is more than capable of replacing him and I am optimistic he will do Robin's parts justice and bring something new and exciting to the band.  

We all have our favorites in bands, and thats cool.   Slash fans have AFD and UYI and that is never going to change.   Robin fans have some excellent stuff on CD and that is never going to be changed.   Better is an awesome GnR song.

I just think this thread was meant to welcome DJ into the band and its kinda disrespectful to cry about lineup changes here.. theres a 200+ page robin leaving/touring thread  + an entire section of the board for these exact gripes.

FYI, Jimmy Chamberlin is in the current lineup of the Smashing Pumpkins as far as I know...

not anymore..
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #447 on: March 24, 2009, 10:21:32 PM »

it's hard to think of a band where every member but the lead singer can be replaced and still think of it as a band, regardless of how they want to portrait it.

but every member of iron maiden except the bassist has been replaced.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 10:47:44 PM by Alan » Logged

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #448 on: March 24, 2009, 10:35:55 PM »

.... and why couldn't that happen to Gilby? Or Ron, Richard or DJ?
Never said it wouldnt.

If you didn't contradict yourself, it would be easier to have discussions with you:

People love/loved Slash and Izzy why? Because they wrote material.

Who wrote material for CD? Bucket...Robin

not Fortus/ Bumble

Within two hours of saying people loved former members because they wrote material, you're now agreeing with me that people could love members who don't write material... People who just respect their playing like you did with Buckethead.

The difference between us is that you expect everyone to accept whatever version of Gnr is out there because its "GNR". Whereas I think that the players in the band have to earn that. Some will, some wont.

Fair enough. You want them to "earn" your respect. But some you won't even give a fair chance!

Personally, I'm a GN'R fan so I support GN'R.

They earned my respect with the music they've put out. If somebody leaves, I'm confident that they'll keep putting out music I'll enjoy. That formula hasn't failed yet....

Afterall, each of the players are in GNR. Why cant GNR just pick up where the old band left off in terms of public appeal etc?

Because the band hasn't gotten the same kind of exposure that the old band got between 1988 and 1993!

For example, they didn't put out the album in 2002, or 2006!

Let me ask you this then, since I answered your question. If Buckethead is such star material, how come he's not the big world wide star you make him out to be?

Or maybe he would only be a star if he was in a big band, a band that would get him exposure. A band that had a lead singer who's known all over the world as one of the few really great rock front men around today.

Im here because of Axl Rose. When he leaves, I leave.

You got a weird way of supporting his band.

Never said I wouldnt be at the next GNR show.

I know. That's the ironic thing. You've had enough and it's not GN'R etc etc, but you'll be there. You and your biased opinion.

Or do you somehow only consider it ONE replacement since the album was a fresh start.  

If you wanna be technical about it, Robin left to go on tour with NIN before the album was out. Wink

Why doesn't it bother me? Maybe because I've sen it before? Gilby didn't play on the Use Your Illusion albums, yet he toured with the band on the tour supporting those albums.

If it didn't bother me in 1991, why should it be different in 2009?

Once you realize that the band isn't a static thing, you either cry about it or look ahead.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #449 on: March 24, 2009, 11:49:56 PM »

Fair enough. You want them to "earn" your respect. But some you won't even give a fair chance!
Who havnt I given a fair chance? Who have i knocked? Im not the biggest Bumble fan but that doesnt mean I dont think hes good or capable.

My point is that not every guy that puts on the GNR uniform will automatically capture my attention or passion or whatever.

Personally, I'm a GN'R fan so I support GN'R.

as do I, and everyone else here.

Because the band hasn't gotten the same kind of exposure that the old band got between 1988 and 1993!

For example, they didn't put out the album in 2002, or 2006!
So your saying that if the band gets big time exposure they will be as popular as the old band?

Let me ask you this then, since I answered your question. If Buckethead is such star material, how come he's not the big world wide star you make him out to be?

Or maybe he would only be a star if he was in a big band, a band that would get him exposure. A band that had a lead singer who's known all over the world as one of the few really great rock front men around today.

Bingo. I agree with you. Bucket needs GNR just as much as GNR needs him in terms of populairty. Obviously for whatever reason it didnt work out.

All I know is that Axl has bent over backwards to please Buckethead. That tells me something. Throw in the fact that the guy is all over CD. His ability and image along with the rest of the band was the recipe that would have had the best chance to overcome the old band with the general public.

You got a weird way of supporting his band.
Its not weird its just honesty.  I dont hate Axl or the band like you portray. There are just certain things that I think Axl messed up on along the way. Doesnt mean I hate him or want to see him or them fail. Never have you once heard me say that or imply that. Not once.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Grasshopper
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #450 on: March 25, 2009, 12:10:11 AM »

Black Sabbath is another example too
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #451 on: March 25, 2009, 12:15:37 AM »

and megadeth is another.

nothing we can do about any of it either.
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #452 on: March 25, 2009, 12:28:37 AM »

and megadeth is another.

nothing we can do about any of it either.

Megadeth is an exception to the rule though...IMO the only thing that truly matters in any band is the lead singer and guitar player, and Dave Mustaine is both.. hihi
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #453 on: March 25, 2009, 12:30:52 AM »

i really wish you people would stop complaining about lineup changes.

exactly!  2 options, the band breaks up and there is NO GNR or there is a new line-up and their IS GNR...gee thats a tough one
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #454 on: March 25, 2009, 12:51:01 AM »

a....isn't billy corgan (lead singer) now the only member of smashing pumpkins....?

Robert Smith is also the only constant member of The Cure.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #455 on: March 25, 2009, 01:53:33 AM »

I like what is going on right now. Look, if you like Chinese Democracy music, you should too. The ones in Guns N' Roses right now, are there because they believe in Guns N' Roses. How cool is that? This ashby dude, just said what we all know. That Axl Rose is a true artist. Some people like the ex members never fucking got that. If you for some strange phenomenon are lucky enough to get to work with a true artist in your respective field you never let that go, and choose to work with sub par talents. Does anyone here think Scott Weiland was a step up from Axl? Robin going back to his boy Trent... I get it. Scott... no, just no (and I love STP).

The members now, they respect this beast. Chinese Democracy has made me a believer. With Ashby GNR continues to not look dated either and retains there edge (for lack of a better word). I like the way the dude is conducting himself as well.  Anyway, if you dig the fuck out of Chinese Democracy as I do, you should be more then fine with Ashby. And he kicks ass. He will play the fuck out of these songs, and I am sure put his stamp on some kick ass new ones.

As long as Axl keeps steering this ship, in Guns N' Roses, I trust.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
nekomex
Rocker

« Reply #456 on: March 25, 2009, 01:58:21 AM »

Shocked i had miss that topic, cool. so Jarmo you will choose what questions to send to the band? or they will read all and choose?
RebelRose89
Rocker

It's Showtime!

« Reply #457 on: March 25, 2009, 07:55:45 AM »

03-23-2009, 07:43 AM    
Derek
New Axe
DJ called on Thursday noon. He was just faxed the contract to join the band and asked us not to mention it outside the office.
We discussed a new custom AXE and we should be able to do for him in time for the tour coming up. It is going to be a mind bender......
Stay tuned...

this is taken from the ernieball forum from the moderator over there, derek.
http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-guitars/37085-dj-ashba-joins-guns-n-roses.html

looks like we'll be having two guitar players (BBF & now DJ) displaying 2 new axe's!!! drool

Go Sabres - Go Bills - Go White Sox
Silverchair
Rocker

« Reply #458 on: March 25, 2009, 08:24:28 AM »

Haven't you had enough?

Axl Rose
Slash
Duff McKagan
Izzy Stradlin
Steven Adler
Matt Sorum
Dizzy Reed
Gilby Clarke
Paul Tobias
Josh Freese
Chris Pittman
Robin Finck
Buckethead
Brain
Tommy Stinson
Richard Fortus
Bumblefoot
Frank Ferrer
DJ Ashba

That's 19 names... for fuck's sake you people are already getting into arguments about whether the New-New Guns N' Roses is really the New Guns N' Roses without Robin Finck and Buckethead!

Yes, people will come out to see Axl Rose in concert... but you can't tell me this many lineup changes doesn't have any effect on you whatsoever?  Or do you somehow only consider it ONE replacement since the album was a fresh start.  If they changed 8 members overnight and then released a new CD, would that also be OK as a fresh start?

When you're destroying Kiss & the Chili Peppers (and approaching Spinal Tap) in terms of replacements and BEING destroyed by those bands in terms of number of albums and tours... I don't know... it just takes a lot of the love and "giving a fuck" out of it for some fans.

Anyways, welcome DJ.  Fans, soak in his performance as much as you can... don't take your eyes off him during his solos... it may be his last tour with GN'R!

You're foregetting Ole Baich, Traci Gunns and Rob Gardner.

"They don?t make ?em like Vince Neil or Tommy Lee anymore. And there sure hasn?t been another Axl Rose. " via MSNBC- 2008.

"Think For Yourself, Question Authority"

HUMOR = Negative Karma
GNR4LIFEJD
Rocker

« Reply #459 on: March 25, 2009, 08:53:42 AM »

The problem nowadays is that when your a band like GNR and your replacing someone your not gonna replace him with just anyone your gonna bring in someone who has experience and someone who has associations with other musicians such as robin did with NIN and dont be surprised if someday we hear DJ is doing something with either Sixx A.M. or Motley or whoever no musician now is exclusive to one band such as when GNR first originated we just have to accept who is in the band now and lets just enjoy the music no matter whos playing it
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 46 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: