Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 04:15:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GUNS N' ROSES NAMES DJ ASHBA AS BAND'S NEWEST AXEMAN
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 46 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GUNS N' ROSES NAMES DJ ASHBA AS BAND'S NEWEST AXEMAN  (Read 247484 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #500 on: March 25, 2009, 03:24:11 PM »

Gypsy, I don't see guys like Freese, Bucket, and Finck busting down the door to get back in the band.

You implied that all of those people on that list think it's difficult to work with/for Axl.

I can see how Axl would be fun to hang with in a social setting but I think working for him would be about as fun as getting a root canal!

I pointed out how wrong you are.

Josh's contributions to the band are all over CD!!!  As for him not being a touring member is obviously the agreement/choice HE made with the band.  (Similar to the agreements/choices of the other two drummers in the band.  Similar to the 'arrangement' the band has with Paul and Izzy).

Neither Buckethead and Robin has ever stated that they did not want to be in GNR because they have a problem working with/for Axl.

I pointed out how most, if not all, of those people on that list would have no problem working with/for Axl on some project ... if they were given the opportunity. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 03:29:16 PM by GypsySoul » Logged

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #501 on: March 25, 2009, 03:26:51 PM »

I know that I'm just anxious to GNR live ASAP and I'm really hoping DJ fits in and kicks ass. I have to assume he will.

I would assume he will too

I only watched one video of him playing a solo on YouTube and I liked it alot. My main sticking point is TIL but I loved the way Robin played NR and Patience too though.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #502 on: March 25, 2009, 03:28:44 PM »

I know that I'm just anxious to GNR live ASAP and I'm really hoping DJ fits in and kicks ass. I have to assume he will.

I would assume he will too

I only watched one video of him playing a solo on YouTube and I liked it alot. My main sticking point is TIL but I loved the way Robin played NR and Patience too though.

I'm sure Axl and the band made sure things felt right before offering him a contract.    He looks like he has the chops so it will be interesting.
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #503 on: March 25, 2009, 03:29:48 PM »

The band as GNR is gone. GNR wasn't some kind of organization it was a band. To me it was holding on by a thread when Izzy left. It died when all the members left. The material on the albums will show it's not the same band, obviously. The music is good in both regimes but the old GNR were a totally different animal, and deserves the respect to be considered the real GNR.
the old GNR is simply that, the old GNR.   To call it the real GNR is ignoring reality and the present.   Don't be that guy.

Saying GNR is just Axl is ridiculous.
You're right, theres 7 other guys in the band.

He's arguably the biggest part, but they'll never write material comparable to what the original and real GNR did. Nobody can.

Thats a pretty narrow minded way to look at things.  Nobody can?   Nothing is impossible, and IMO many of the songs on CD are some of the best GnR songs ever written.  I'm not the only one with this opinion, so you can take your "facts" and shove it.

you don't by chance sport a mullet... do you?

GNR was a blues based rock n roll band that covered a lot of ground. I already stated the material in both versions are great. But as far as I'm concerned it's next to impossible to create the anthems that was SCOM and PC and WTTJ. Just not going to happen. And NR and Don't Cry are other songs that I just don't see anyone matching, ever. The bar was set insanely high. Axl and "GNR" can create amazing music. But it's never going to be on the same level or heard 20 years down the road. At least not the songs on CD. Better is the highest quality song and I put that a bit under past GNR material.

And no I do not sport a mullet. I already told you I liked the new songs too. But I'm not stupid either. And Old GNR would have likely been the next Rollingstones had they not have blown their chance, and I don't really blame Axl for that because I think he has some good ideas.

But GNR Was Axl, Izzy, Slash, Steven, Duff bringing all their elements into one and someone creating this amazing blues based HARD rock sound. They covered many different aspects including softer songs, southern rock vibes, straight forward blues, 12 bar blues you name it they did it.

It's cool to like Old and New GNR I like them both, but to diss on people that like the Old GNR better,by calling them mullet heads is disgraceful.

www.bluejayfever.com

Blue Jays Site/Forum...Need Some Members For This Board. We Plan To Make It The Best Jays Site Online.
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #504 on: March 25, 2009, 03:31:23 PM »

All right, get this, you all are harping on this thing, but consider what true artists do to draw inspiration.

Axl starts to get interested in "industrial" tones and technique.  He recruits Finck who probably taught him a ton based on his NIN experience.  It translates to a sound Axl was looking for.  In my mind he wanted Finck for the record, the live aspect was icing.

Axl maybe starts looking for a lead guitarist that makes his "other lead guitarist" jealous.  He recruits Buckethead. A few people on Earth can do what this guy does on a guitar.  It results in mind-blowing solos on an album. 

An aside, I find it hilarious that people we're talking about how Ashba might not "look the part" when at one point there stands a fucking guy with a white mask and a KFC bucket on his head.  Oh yeah, plus he breakdances and does a numb chuck solo.

Then he finds songwriting partners...Stinson, Tobias, Pitman, Reed,... most of which are still in the fold.

Another thing, the whole Brain May situation.  You really think Axl just brought him in to hopefully get a solo?  You don't think there were conversations on how Queen approached recording?  I hear more Queen and Thin Lizzy on CD than the ol' Stones/Blusey vibe.

To finish my point, get over the line-up changes, it amounts to dick.

Robin never really brought much of an Industrial vibe to GNR. He may have made suggestions, but there is very little to do with industrial on CD to begin with...But Robin brings straight forward blues rock to the band.

www.bluejayfever.com

Blue Jays Site/Forum...Need Some Members For This Board. We Plan To Make It The Best Jays Site Online.
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #505 on: March 25, 2009, 03:34:08 PM »

But GNR Was Axl, Izzy, Slash, Steven, Duff bringing all their elements into one and someone creating this amazing blues based HARD rock sound. They covered many different aspects including softer songs, southern rock vibes, straight forward blues, 12 bar blues you name it they did it.

why are you dwelling on this?  whats the point of talking about this in the "welcome to GnR DJ Ashba" thread?

i call you guys mulletheads because it seems you are hellbent on ruining every thread to talk about how great things were 20 years ago and how you just aren't happy.  We don't fucking care.   Go cry about the AFD lineup somewhere else.

It's cool to like Old and New GNR I like them both, but to diss on people that like the Old GNR better,by calling them mullet heads is disgraceful.
People need to move on already.   I like all versions of GnR, I just know there is only one version that I have any chance of seeing live and getting any more music from.  Its common sense.   Complaining about things won't do a damn thing and talking about 20 years ago isn't going to bring back 1987.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 03:36:52 PM by Jim Bob » Logged
Layflats
Headliner

I'm not an idiot.

« Reply #506 on: March 25, 2009, 03:41:34 PM »

Robin never really brought much of an Industrial vibe to GNR. He may have made suggestions, but there is very little to do with industrial on CD to begin with...But Robin brings straight forward blues rock to the band.

IDK 'bout that.  You got a guy comin' from NIN, a band that is arguably the father of the modern industrial sound.  Then you get tones that show up on songs like Better, Shacklers... Then you have Oh My God leading up to that which is the most industrial thing I've heard from Gn'R. 

I put industrial in quotation marks because the entire album does not lean toward that, but Finck is the closest thing Axl had to hands on experience to that tonal quality in the early stages of CD.

Chicago 11/15/11
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #507 on: March 25, 2009, 03:45:35 PM »

Gypsy, I don't see guys like Freese, Bucket, and Finck busting down the door to get back in the band.

You implied that all of those people on that list think it's difficult to work with/for Axl.

I can see how Axl would be fun to hang with in a social setting but I think working for him would be about as fun as getting a root canal!

I pointed out how wrong you are.

Josh's contributions to the band are all over CD!!!  As for him not being a touring member is obviously the agreement/choice HE made with the band.  (Similar to the agreements/choices of the other two drummers in the band.  Similar to the 'arrangement' the band has with Paul and Izzy).

Neither Buckethead and Robin has ever stated that they did not want to be in GNR because they have a problem working with/for Axl.

I pointed out how most, if not all, of those people on that list would have no problem working with/for Axl on some project ... if they were given the opportunity. 

Of course they would work with him again, he's got the cash.  WHo wouldn't want to make 10 years worth of salary for dicking around in the studio a couple of hours a day?  You act like I said something outrageous like "Axl likes to eat puppies for dinner."  All I said was that he seem slike he would be difficult towork with.  Izzy has said the same and I am sure others have to.  It's not bad mouthing him.  It just seems to me that if someone is so great to work with and the money is good and obviously the time off is great then WHY would you not stick with the band?
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #508 on: March 25, 2009, 03:49:20 PM »

Then you get tones that show up on songs like Better, Shacklers...

you mean BH's guitar?

like axl I never get the industrial labelling.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #509 on: March 25, 2009, 03:54:05 PM »

It just seems to me that if someone is so great to work with and the money is good and obviously the time off is great then WHY would you not stick with the band?

Because you think the grass is greener on the other side?

Because you're happier doing your own stuff?

Because you don't want to be part of a band and have to commit?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #510 on: March 25, 2009, 03:58:19 PM »

Just to chime in, I hate the sports team analogy because it isn't the same thing.

Take the Chicago Bulls, in the 90's they won 6 championships. Since 1998 however, they may still be the Bulls but they've only made the playoffs twice

so just because they are the Bulls and wear the same uniforms, it isn't the same team

just like just because a band is Guns N Roses and plays the same songs it still isn't the band that recorded them.

For this version of GNR, like the Bulls to be compared to Micheal Jordan's Bulls, they have to win a title just as this version of GNR have to do some big stuff on their own merit.

I agree that Axl has no choice other than to replace guys that leave, but maybe if GNR were more active, guys wouldn't leave?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Layflats
Headliner

I'm not an idiot.

« Reply #511 on: March 25, 2009, 04:12:51 PM »

like axl I never get the industrial labelling.
I'm not labeling, when you recruit a guitarist that tours with NIN, you're probably interested in new tone.  That is probably the biggest difference between AFD leading to CD, the tone and style of guitar playing paired with the contributions Pitman made.  Plus the drumming is so much better on CD than anything they have ever done.

Take the Chicago Bulls, in the 90's they won 6 championships. Since 1998 however, they may still be the Bulls but they've only made the playoffs twice. so just because they are the Bulls and wear the same uniforms, it isn't the same team
Did you just define fair weather fan?  Wouldn't you root just as hard for either team as a true fan?

Getting back to Ashba, I think Gn'R will not finish their existence with CD.  To bring someone in that has an obvious thirst for songwriting is an exciting prospect to me.  Guitar solos are overrated, songwriting is was separates the studs from the duds in the music world.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 04:22:59 PM by Layflats » Logged

Chicago 11/15/11
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #512 on: March 25, 2009, 04:21:47 PM »

Of course u still root for them but I am talking about people that justify the whole Guns N Roses thing by comparing it to a sports team. I think its a bad analogy that's all.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Layflats
Headliner

I'm not an idiot.

« Reply #513 on: March 25, 2009, 04:25:39 PM »

I think its a bad analogy that's all.

That I can get with.  Music has no good "trophy" or "award". Grammy awards and such have and always will be a joke, it's impossible to really quantify "who is best" in a given year.  Music is completely subjective.  Fan support is what is important.

Chicago 11/15/11
SirTed
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #514 on: March 25, 2009, 05:05:36 PM »

Well, I'm excited to see what DJ brings to this band. I, along with a lot of us on this board have an opinion of how GNR should sound, and who will be a good fit, etc. Here's where I am coming from.

Has Axl ever really let us down? It seems to me that he gets a lot of whatever he wants out of each contributing member. I think we all can agree that he has the best idea of who is a good fit and who isn't. Maybe DJ isn't meant to fill Robins role exactly, maybe he's got something entirely new in mind that we don't even know about eh? I hope so. I'm not that interested in "fill in" members that are only meant to play something, or do something exactly like someone else. That's just not that interesting. Instead, they can borrow some sounds that work, and then shine in new ways that they might excell, you know?

The only thing that I don't like about the somewhat revolving door that GNR has become, is that it SEEMS like the changes leave the band to opperate from unsteady ground. I can't begin to imagine what it's like to try to organize something like a tour, but I bet it's made even worse by members coming and going. This is not necessarily Axl fault, I would say more the climate. BUT I would venture a guess that he is somewhat responsible for that climate. I think it was Axl himself who said that from day one, he has always felt that he was ultimately responsible. So with that, comes some blame, and believe it or not, that's okay. NOBODY is perfect. And all of the amazing things that he brings to his band FAR outweight the negative. I just wish that we could keep a line up together for a while. I'd love it if GNR was more like a Bullpen than a whole baseball team. It would be neat if Axl had a whole stable of talent to pick and choose from for all of the given situations. Instead, we're led to believe that whatever 6, 7 or 8 guys Axl puts in front of us is THE BAND. Period. Except that that is very hard to accept when the lineup changes all the time. It leaves me feeling very uneasy.

I perfer how he's handled the drummer situation. Frank? Brain? Both in the band. We'll take whichever one is willing to work at that moment, you know? Wouldn't be neat if Axl could send a shout out to Bucket and say...

"Hey man, you ready to go out there on tour?"
"Nah, sorry, I can't. I'm playing with Ninja Turtles." 

Then he just moves on, maybe Robin has some time, or Richard, or DJ, whatever.Whomever can play, plays. They're all "in the band".
 Just don't try to project a level of permanency when there isn't one, because fans grow tired. At least this one does.
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #515 on: March 25, 2009, 06:05:34 PM »

IDK 'bout that.  You got a guy comin' from NIN, a band that is arguably the father of the modern industrial sound.  Then you get tones that show up on songs like Better, Shacklers... Then you have Oh My God leading up to that which is the most industrial thing I've heard from Gn'R. 

I put industrial in quotation marks because the entire album does not lean toward that, but Finck is the closest thing Axl had to hands on experience to that tonal quality in the early stages of CD.
What Robin plays on the Album is stricktly blues. And what you use as an example (Better) is the most hard rock song on the album. Anything that's industrial comes from the keyboard. Robin brings absolutely nothing to the table that is industrial sound. He's willing to play on songs with industrial sounds on them (which slash wasn't) so that's about as far as that goes.

www.bluejayfever.com

The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #516 on: March 25, 2009, 06:10:10 PM »

Wouldn't be neat if Axl could send a shout out to Bucket and say...

"Hey man, you ready to go out there on tour?"
"Nah, sorry, I can't. I'm playing with Ninja Turtles." 

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Fucking hell, that's the best laugh I've had in a long time rofl

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
axl_on_drums
Opening Act

« Reply #517 on: March 25, 2009, 06:17:47 PM »

He's got some chops on Guitar obviously and I like his look.

But I won't pass judgement till I seem him live or playing some GNR stuff.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #518 on: March 25, 2009, 06:20:30 PM »

I've yet to hear this mentioned on the radio.  I keep waiting.  I've heard a few Sixx AM songs and the DJ's have made no mention of it.  I thought for sure, once they said how they regretted not getting to see them at Cruefest last year and how they're not playing it this year, but no mention of DJ joining GNR.  Did they not get the news?  (I'm talking Sirius/XM Octane specifically)

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
EstrangedBrazil
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #519 on: March 25, 2009, 06:26:50 PM »

The band as GNR is gone. GNR wasn't some kind of organization it was a band. To me it was holding on by a thread when Izzy left. It died when all the members left. The material on the albums will show it's not the same band, obviously. The music is good in both regimes but the old GNR were a totally different animal, and deserves the respect to be considered the real GNR.
the old GNR is simply that, the old GNR.   To call it the real GNR is ignoring reality and the present.   Don't be that guy.

Saying GNR is just Axl is ridiculous.
You're right, theres 7 other guys in the band.

He's arguably the biggest part, but they'll never write material comparable to what the original and real GNR did. Nobody can.

Thats a pretty narrow minded way to look at things.  Nobody can?   Nothing is impossible, and IMO many of the songs on CD are some of the best GnR songs ever written.  I'm not the only one with this opinion, so you can take your "facts" and shove it.

you don't by chance sport a mullet... do you?

GNR was a blues based rock n roll band that covered a lot of ground. I already stated the material in both versions are great. But as far as I'm concerned it's next to impossible to create the anthems that was SCOM and PC and WTTJ. Just not going to happen. And NR and Don't Cry are other songs that I just don't see anyone matching, ever. The bar was set insanely high. Axl and "GNR" can create amazing music. But it's never going to be on the same level or heard 20 years down the road. At least not the songs on CD. Better is the highest quality song and I put that a bit under past GNR material.

And no I do not sport a mullet. I already told you I liked the new songs too. But I'm not stupid either. And Old GNR would have likely been the next Rollingstones had they not have blown their chance, and I don't really blame Axl for that because I think he has some good ideas.

Like old Guns all you want and i want to praise your good use of "I" and "ME" in most of your text... as far as YOU are concerned,  you can't re-create SCOM , PC and WTTJ and while it is impossible to RE-CREATE, i like some songs on CD better than all these 3 songs... its the beauty of individuality

So the only I or ME missing in your post is when you say Guns is Axl, Izzy, Slash, Steven, Duff. That might be your opinion and you are entitled to it. but dont state is as fact. I, for one, think Axl is a genius and his work is always what i relate to the most, meaning, you could have Ghandi playing bass and Bush beating them drums on November Rain, it would still be a masterpiece. Is Slash talented? Yah, sure, played mean guitar in NR and Estranged, 2 songs that i will always love, but as much as u might or not like guys like Bumble or Bucket, you can't say they don't have talent. They might not write the kind of music you like, but thats another story... and Slash, as far as im concerned only wrote CRAP aside from a few songs on the 1st snakepit album. and most of those are only mediocre

Oh, and in my opinion Steven is a lucky guy who was at the right place and at the right time. He has nothing special, and i think he'd be homeless or dead if he wasnt lucky enough to be friends with slash when gnr started
Izzy = very good song writer, Duff = ok guy, i always pictured him as an yes man tho (but thats my imagination, i'll giv u that lol)
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 46 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: