Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 07:01:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Use your illusion 1 review
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Use your illusion 1 review  (Read 1644 times)
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« on: July 22, 2009, 08:18:52 AM »

There was a reason that hundreds, scratch that, thousands of "kids" waited at midnight at Tower Records' stores around the country for a chance to buy G N' R's "Use Your Illusion I" & "Use Your Illusion II." They had become the biggest rock band in the world and their closest contemporaries, at that time, were Skid Row, The Cult & Metallica. But Guns N' Roses ruled the rock n' roll landscape and sold millions upon millions of cd's with sold-out shows world-wide. However, the recording of these records and the subsequent 2+ year world tour tore the band apart.

Years later, listening to these two records points directly to where the cracks in the pavement began. Adler had been replaced by "hired-gun" Matt Sorum, who was a tank on the drum-kit but Adler's departure was missed. Dizzy Reed, a KEYBOARDIST, was brought on board as another "hired-gun," if not a full-time member. But the biggest problem was the divide taking shape between Axl & Slash/Duff/Izzy. Slash, Duff & Izzy wanted to keep things lean, loose, dirty, aggressive and fun! As evident by the songs 'Right Next Door to Hell,' 'Dust N' Bones,' 'You Ain't the First' and 'Double Talkin' Jive.' All great hard-rock songs. However, Axl had delusions of grandeur and saw Guns N' Roses as an epic rock band sweeping the country-side a la Led Zepplin but with plenty of Queen, Elton John & Beatles-esque balladry. The rest of the band wanted it dirty and raw, a modern-day and more aggressive version of The Rolling Stones. Guess who won? "Use Your Illusion I" featured a cover of Paul McCartney's The Wings' 'Live & Let Die,' an original version of 'Don't Cry,' 'November Rain,' 'The Garden,' 'Coma' and a ton of filler such as 'Bad Obsession,' 'Back Off Bitch,' 'Don't Damn Me' and 'Bad Apples.'

Many of the songs that ended up on both this release and "Use Your Illusion II" were written before "Appetite for Destruction." And, at a grand total of 30 songs, G N' R emptied the cupboard with these simultaneous releases. Not necessarily a bad thing. The "Illusion" records are commonly referred to as the band's "art" albums. A completely fair description, but the band did not become famous for "art." They became famous for dirty rock n' roll and, sadly, those days were long gone after the release of this album.

http://www.examiner.com/x-13064-Austin-Rock-Music-Examiner~y2009m7d18-Review-Use-Your-Illusion-I-by-Guns-N-Roses

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
seely
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 02:14:10 PM »

Don't Damn Me- filler?  Shocked
It's one of the best on there!

(\__/)
(O.o )
( > < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this attached message into your signature to help him on his quest for world domination.

----------------------------------------------------
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: