Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 06:15:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228015 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  The 2006 Eddie Trunk Interview
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 2006 Eddie Trunk Interview  (Read 22348 times)
ShotgunBlues1978
« on: July 30, 2009, 03:36:37 AM »

This is, in my opinion, the best rock interview I've ever heard live.  Axl gets such a bad rap in public yet here he comes off as a very funny, very intelligent and grounded person.  It's a shame more people couldn't hear this.  Although, they would probably prefer to keep on believing the bullshit and lies anyway

(not sure this deserves its own thread at this stage, but it is slow around here and this is worth a listen or re-listen for any GNR fan)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts7OGKQ-e_Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTXQFms3PE0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7J1iwHiDHs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELIbepG8QUY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3N8xU_Q758

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDXmlfQAopQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uCAx5Oav38
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 04:26:20 AM »

I love when Axl says that Piazza played for the "Pirates" and that dipshit Trunk didn't get it.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 04:43:11 AM »

I've listened to this interview probably 20 times

Always listen on long trips

rabia
Rocker

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 04:58:41 AM »

great interview. axl is personable, shows the capacity to laugh at himself which is very different from the thin-skinned persona that is often painted of him. he's just totally likable.

eddie trunk tries so hard to massage axl's ego talking about how pervasive WTTJ is and stuff and axl just shrugs it off and doesnt dwell on his own iconic status at all.

i wish axl would do more such interviews. people who like to make a demon out of him have a harder time doing that when faced with the reality of the man. things like this humanize axl, give you some access to the man rather than the myth (or the way some people love to view him, the caricature).
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 05:12:43 AM »

This is why I was so against the Billboard interview he did cause that thing was incoherent and just mean

if Axl would calmly explain his side of the story like he was on Eddie Trunk, he'd convert a lot of people.

the stuff in Billboard just confirms the perception.

I was reading Axl's forum posts and homework thing and I have fully converted over to believing Axl for the most part now about the breakup etc

That venomous billboard thing doesn't help.

AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 05:42:04 AM »

I think the Billboard interview was a good 10-15 years worth of built up frustration and anger though. Sometimes it's hard to sugar coat those kind of feelings and make them "nicer" for the masses, you just gotta' speak your mind and call out the assholes who have done you wrong.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 05:46:19 AM »

I think the Billboard interview was a good 10-15 years worth of built up frustration and anger though. Sometimes it's hard to sugar coat those kind of feelings and make them "nicer" for the masses, you just gotta' speak your mind and call out the assholes who have done you wrong.

True but it wasn't very articulate and kinda came off bad IMO

willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 07:49:02 AM »

When Axl does talk it is always interesting. The guy is funny and very intelligent. Only problem is, he knows every word  he says is going to be attacked and picked threw by assholes. {please I am not referring to anyone here.} I love Axl's interviews he always manages to put a smile on my face.

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 08:17:31 AM »

I love when Axl says that Piazza played for the "Pirates" and that dipshit Trunk didn't get it.

Great moment in that interview... Youtube that recently posted 1989 howard stern interview... Same sharp tongued Axl, even when he just woke up!! I've only heard about that interview in the past, great to hear it in its entirety!
LordRazZ
VIP

I haven't updated this section in years. Tada.

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 09:22:57 AM »

Thanks for this post  ok

Haven't heard this since the night  it was on....

The last time I edited my signature, I still had ICQ.  That's crazy.
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 10:09:06 AM »

I remember this.

"I am a gay man!" "k'cool, so when we get to the bridge..." hihi omg that was fucking funny. Thanks! Smiley

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
Less Reverb
Banned
Opening Act

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 10:23:55 AM »

Oh, man. Looking back now, I realize just how great of a time 2006 really was. Axl was back out there and 'Chinese' was supposedly imminent. It seemed as if a new era of GNR was really on the horizon and the loooong drought had finally come to an end.

Personally, I found the hype surrounding 2006 more exciting than the album's actual release.
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 11:34:01 AM »

great interview. axl is personable, shows the capacity to laugh at himself which is very different from the thin-skinned persona that is often painted of him. he's just totally likable.

eddie trunk tries so hard to massage axl's ego talking about how pervasive WTTJ is and stuff and axl just shrugs it off and doesnt dwell on his own iconic status at all.

Yeah.  Trunk probably was pissing on himself with delight and fawning all over Axl.  hihi

Axl came across as cool and "just one of the guys"  Cool

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 03:31:38 PM »

Man can I just say. I have always totally loved that laugh!!!

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
snead hearn
Rocker

LORD OF THE BARNYARD

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 12:22:01 AM »

It's just so amazing on that first link: about 1 minute in, the David Lee Roth story, Axl quoting Bas "DUDE! Why you bein such a dick!". Just the way Axl does that voice. SOOOO freakin' funny. And from then on, it's just such solid piece of radio.

Given Axl's penchant for sharp words and reputation, I think it's better when we hear Axl speak versus what we read about what he says. Especially with the gang around him, that's what makes it so special and good.

Imagine if this was not heard, but transcribed by an interviewer. Goodness knows it would not have the same effect.

Imagine if we could have heard Axl's responses to the questions from online. The man has a real unique and great sense of humor. Unfortunately such a sense does not always translate so well.

May 9, 1988 Felt Forum, NYC
December 5, 2002 Madison Square Garden, NYC
May 17, 2006 Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC
NaturalLight
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 12:56:29 AM »

What I find funny about this, is that a lot of people talk about how Axl is such a "hermit" and "recluse", yet in the interview, you can tell he's well-versed in what is going on at the time, culturally, as well as, muscially. One question, though. When this interview first came out, didn't Axl mention that the band went to China to check it out in case they ever got banned or did that take place in another interview or did I just imagine that? I just listened to the recordings posted here and didn't catch it.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 12:06:01 PM »

One question, though. When this interview first came out, didn't Axl mention that the band went to China to check it out in case they ever got banned or did that take place in another interview or did I just imagine that? I just listened to the recordings posted here and didn't catch it.

yes he did mention that but i think it was another trunk show where axl rang buz.
McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 12:20:03 PM »

When Jericho said
That these "bums" came out onstage
I laughed my ass off.

Splash.

/Mike

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
Naltav
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 12:36:20 PM »

. One question, though. When this interview first came out, didn't Axl mention that the band went to China to check it out in case they ever got banned or did that take place in another interview or did I just imagine that? I just listened to the recordings posted here and didn't catch it.

He did say that in the interview. Didn't listen to all the clips above, but I have the entire thing on my PC. Someone (I think it was Baz) asked him something like: "Did you go to China for three months?" And Axl replied: "Yeah, we went there and stayed for three months. I wanted to go before they banned me!" Then Baz or Trunk followed up: "What was that like?" Axl:" He filmed....eh... they eat a lot of bugs...."

So I guess someone filmed alot over there, would be cool to see some of that footage used in furure videos etc etc...   Smiley

Stavanger-rock-city!!
GnR-NOW
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 01:22:09 PM »

Great time. I remembered listening to it that friday before the first show. That was one of the most exciting GNR times for me, was listening to this then going to the show !!!

Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: