Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:47:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy Reviews: 9 months later
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy Reviews: 9 months later  (Read 42823 times)
ShotgunBlues1978
« on: August 27, 2009, 01:46:37 AM »

We all posted our reviews when it first came out, now we have all had plenty of time to digest it. So post your reviews as of today:

1. Chinese Democracy - great intro, good way to start off the album. IMO it is one of the weaker songs on the album, but it is still pretty rugged and mean. The lyrics are strong, vocals are filled with venom, quality solo, quality rocking song but not the best. 7.5 of 10

2. Shackler's Revenge - love this track. Serious grower, one of the catchiest and most fun songs on the album. The pre-chorus and chorus are sweet, Ron's solo is off the wall but fits the song. Best part: the rhythm section during the solo. The tribal drums, chanting and beastly guitars are really cool. People complained about the lack of "fun" rocking songs on the album this is one. The lyrics are definitely the opposite of fun but it is certainly fun to listen to. Good song. 8 out of 10

3. Better - one of the defining songs of the album. One of the songs that almost justifies the length of time the album took. The arrangements and driving force of the main riff are fucking great on this song. No dead air. There are so many great "small" moments such as the guitar fill at 1:21. Such a strong groove and the vocal melodies are some of the best Axl has ever composed. Vocals are perfect and the lyrics, in the context of a "poppy" rock love song, are excellent. If you don't admire the vocal performance on this one then you quite simply were never really a GNR fan. 9.5 out of 10

4. Street of Dreams - a personal favorite since I first heard it. While I preferred the whistling synths of the 2002 version to the strings of the final version, the guitarwork is the best of any version. Again, vocal performance is out of this world and it definitely has some great love song lyrics. Beautiful piano work by Dizzy throughout as well. 9.5 out of 10

5. If The World - great groove, a lot of fun. The "worst" lyrics of any song on the album, but their simplicity kind of matches the almost reggae like vibe of the song. Bucket really dominates this one with his Spanish guitar and Joe Perry-esque solo. Cool stuff. 8 out of 10

6. There Was A Time - was my favorite song on the album for a while. Still top 3. Quality, emotion filled lyrics, brilliant arrangements, the vocals in the final 4 minutes are superb. The "chorus" on the final version dwarfs the previous versions. Robin and Bucket just tear it up in the final 4 minutes or so, Buckethead's outro solo has become one of my favorite rock solos ever, never gets old, awesome stuff. 10 out of 10

7. Catcher In The Rye - not one of my favorite demos, but the final version has become a favorite. Quite possibly the best lyrics on the album, and a nice change of pace in terms of subject matter. Ron's bouncy, bittersweet outro is one of the finest moments on the album, Axl's weathered vocals really fit the mood and theme of the song. 9.5 out of 10

8. Scraped - the intro is funny, Axl showing of his range in a somewhat goofy fashion that shows yes, they did have SOME fun making this album. A real sick riff, the back and forth vocals were a great touch and really fit the bipolar nature of the lyrics. Ron rips the solo, and holy shit the rhythm guitar once the solo kicks in is pretty damn cool. Fun song. 8 out of 10

9. Riad N' The Bedouins - this song is an absolute buzzsaw. Never understood why people didn't like it, the lyrics are abstract but they make sense if you listen closely, the bassline is the shit, Axl's vocals are insane on this song, the music on the hook is a burst of sonic awesomeness and the solo is pretty much from outerspace. Just a bad ass song across the boards. 9 out of 10

10. Sorry - really shows how Axl has advanced as a songwriter. Back in the day, his "fuck off" songs were in your face and full of energy and anger. This one is that much more effective because of how measured and calculated it sounds. It is even more effective because of how deliberate it is. His use of vocals is masterful; when his raspy vocals do kick in, they cut like a knife. The solo is beautiful, like something Gilmour would do. The chorus is the best chorus on the album hands down. Don't give a fuck, one of the best GNR songs new or old. 10 out of 10

11. IRS - polarizing song, to me it is awesome. Probably biased because after seeing them play it live, it was consistently one of the top 5 songs of the night. Final version kicks serious ass, but takes a while to get going which may turn people off. Love the part after the acoustic solo where it really kicks in and Axl starts his rant with "I bet you think I'm doing this all for my health," one of the most aggressive moments of any GNR song, the spite in his vocals is so strong you can sense it. Bucket's solo combined with the Axl scream is a definite album highlight. 8.5 out of 10

12. Madagascar - what can I say about this song? I like it, but it just doesn't do much for me. Good lyrics, thought it sounded better with the clean vocals in 2002. I understand what he is trying to do with his weathered voice, but it's just not one of my favorites. The best part, IMO, is the vocal collage and Bucket solo. Solid song, my views on it change depending on my move, but definitely my least favorite on the album. 7 out of 10.

13. This I Love - easily the most beautiful composition Axl has done aside from Estranged, quite possibly the best vocal performance he has ever laid down. Still not sure what to make of the lyrics. On one hand, their raw simplicity matches the nature of the emotions expressed which are some of the most basic and pure emotions people feel. On the other hand, they are not nearly as mature and impressive as some of his other stuff. Love Robin's solo, although the composition beneath it may be even better. 8.5 out of 10

14. Prostitute - this has become my favorite song on the album. Had mixed feelings at first but repeat listens sold me. The lyrics, while simple, are so dead on and honest that they are impossible to ignore. The vocals are superb. The underlying piano melody is so simple but has this lilting, graceful elegance that continually gets stuck in my head. To me this is the ultimate "Axl Rose" song. The way I interpret it, the first verse is directed at a lover, the second verse is related to the old band, and the final verse is directed towards fans/the general public. The song is not mean or spiteful in any way, simply a rebuttal in the face of massive criticism. Throughout the song he stands up for himself yet pleads for some understanding which is such a great contrast. The "what would you say if I told you that I'm to blame?" part after the second verse is my favorite part of the album. In 3 lines, Axl kind of sums up why he carried on like he did. To me this song is not about right or wrong but about standing up for yourself and doing what you believe is right, regardless of consequences, and that is what Axl is all about. If he never wrote or released another song, no song would be more fitting of being the final track on his final album than this one. 10 out of 10

Overall: Chinese is exactly what I was hoping for. Huge Axl fan, so of course I am "biased," but who isn't for their favorite musicians? When I heard the initial descriptions of the album, songs like Better, SoD, TWAT, Riad and Prostitute were basically what I was hoping for. This album represents something that has been missing from the rock scene for too long: big guitars, big solos, big vocals, big scope, straight face. Album is both fun and serious, you can sing along to it or listen and brood. The versatility and general impressiveness of the instrumentals and vocals just make it much more interesting and entertaining to me than the type of stuff that usually comes out these days. Rating based on song by song average: 8.8 out of 10
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 02:38:32 AM by ShotgunBlues1978 » Logged
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 02:34:22 AM »

I read all of that. Nice thoughts. This album has filled a void in me. I am so thankful for it. Anyway, cool man.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 02:41:14 AM »

I read all of that. Nice thoughts. This album has filled a void in me. I am so thankful for it. Anyway, cool man.

Thanks.  The album has been sort of a validation for me, after all the years waiting it didn't disappoint.  And my friends, who aside from a few are not big GNR fans, have (grudgingly in some cases) admitted to the fact that it is a very good album and way better than they thought it could be
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 02:47:27 AM »

In This Moment... For Me:

- The Best Disc Of Guns N' Roses -

smoking

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 03:46:52 AM »

Agree with most of what you said on a song by song basis with a few exceptions.  Personally, I think "Scraped" and "I.R.S." are the best "pure" rockers are on the album, and would put them ahead of "Riad".  "Madagascar" to me is and has always been exceptional to me.  The haunting chord progression that opens the song and stays throughout utilizing a synthesized french horn sound is a stroke of genius.  Axl's melodies and lyrics are amazing and I love that the whirling tornado of harmonizing guitar lines.  "If The World" is the underrated gem on this album.  The gorgeous acoustic guitar work and the amazing electric solo by Bucket, the funky groove and Axl's out of this world melody lines make this a masterpiece for me.  It just floored me when I first heard it.  Like nothing I've ever heard before and just fantastic.

Ali
Maxi Fisher
Headliner

Yep we're fucked !

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 07:08:18 AM »

Hasnt left my CD player in the car since released. Love it

Thanks Uncle Axl - it's a ripper
sandman
Legend

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 10:12:16 AM »

still incredible IMO. i listen to it regularly.

my appreciation for TIL has grown. it might even be my favorite song. i used to think the solo was just ok, maybe a little too rough (it actually hurts my ears sometimes when i have it really cranked in my car). but it fits the mood of the song.

TWAT, Sorry, TIL, Scraped...all awesome songs among the best gnr material ever.

and songs like IRS, CITR, SR, Better, and CD are classics as well.

i like the rest too, they just happen to fall near the bottom of a collection of really great songs.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 11:24:16 AM »

i still can't mark the songs..if i do prolly i give them 10~12 out of 10.
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 11:46:21 AM »

My Friends In Chile... Super Critics Whit GNR Ever:

- Fan Of Iron Maiden: SORRY Is AMAZING, Lirics & Music

- Fan Of Pink Floyd: Well, Well, Well... mmmmm... ChinDem. Is Good Disc... But PROSTITUTE Is SPECTACULAR !!

- Fan Of Judas Priest (My Friend Hate GNR hihi). It's GOOD Disc... Motherfuckers... Shut Up !! (Dedicate To Me  hihi)

- Fans Of Hip Hop: BETTER, The Best Song, Drum/Beat Of HH Is Kick Ass & Voice of AXL And Solos Guitar, Excelent.

My Friends Have Age Promedy 27 Or 37 Years, Very Critics...

The people In Chile Of 14 Or 26 years Says What ChinDem. Is Excelent Disc Of GNR. Loved SOD, TIL, COmparassion Whit NR, patience, Don't Cry, Blah, Blah.

Chile  love GUNS N' ROSES !!

beer

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 11:50:53 AM »

This disc, Chinese Democracy. It is my favorite Guns N' Roses album, and I am old school. It hasn't left my car player either. It is crazy how much I love the music. Everything, all of it. Axl, in my eyes doesn't have to do anything else, and anything he gives us from this moment on is just gravy.

I will probably want this music playing, along with the Beatles, in my last moments in this time. This is among my favorite albums of all time. Believe it.

HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 11:59:36 AM »

This disc, Chinese Democracy. It is my favorite Guns N' Roses album, and I am old school. It hasn't left my car player either. It is crazy how much I love the music. Everything, all of it. Axl, in my eyes doesn't have to do anything else, and anything he gives us from this moment on is just gravy.

I will probably want this music playing, along with the Beatles, in my last moments in this time. This is among my favorite albums of all time. Believe it.

Idem.

I look Guns N' Roses In 1992 In Santiago Of Chile, For Me The Best Era Is : 2000 2009.

- GNR In 1988 - 1993: Good Era, Golden, But, Much Posers, Girls Bitch Crazy, Band Of Fashion

In Chile Says In 1992: GUNS N' POSERS 

hihi

All Days Listen Chinese... COMPLETE.

smoking

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 01:39:26 PM »

It is a great album.  I enjoy it even more than the day it came out.  That is the sign of a great album in my opinion, one that doesnt get old fast. 
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 02:07:52 PM »

in my op too. some of the songs ie cd riad the blues Madagascar are even known for years and still sound fresh now.
SMFS
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 04:49:09 PM »

This album has filled a void in me.

That's what she said.
tippasaurus
Rocker

You must be the change you wish to see

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 05:12:18 PM »

Still a great album to my ears.  I wish that I hadn't heard the leaks before hearing the album, but that's my fault of course (the only "new" tracks for me were Scraped, Sorry, and This I Love).  I guess the only track that hasn't really grown on me since it's release has been IRS.  I'm still at a loss when I hear that song.  "I'm gonna call the IRS/gonna get the FBI," ummm...ok?  Maybe if Axl explained the metaphor I wouldn't still find those lyrics moronic.   

"we are here to learn how to choose and to choose how to learn"
-michael
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 11:52:10 PM »

great review..great album

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 01:03:04 PM »

Still not tired of it.

There's not many albums I've listened to for about nine months without putting them aside for a while....

Chinese Democracy is one of them.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 03:10:54 PM »

Nice idea for a thread.  Enjoying reading people's thoughts on the album nine months out (though you can bet there will be a similar thread three months from now).

As for my take, I think I've listened to the whole album once maybe twice since March/April.  A good portion of these songs have been in my mp3 collection for at least three years, some as long as eight or nine years, so it's not as though they're exactly new or have the life span of only nine months.  And those tracks that I had not heard up until the release of the record haven't endured like I had once thought they would. 

I'll break my review  down as such:

Classic/Eternal tracks:
Better
There Was A Time

Can Listen over and over:
Shackler's Revenge
Catcher in the Rye

Don't Mind Listening to every now and then:
IRS
Madagascar
This I Love
Sorry

Wouldn't complain if I heard them or not:
Prostitute
Scraped
Chinese Democracy

Songs I Never Liked
Rhiad
Street of Dreams
If The World (some parts I like, but as a whole, not my thing).

Around it's release I would have given it a 4.5 out of 5, but now that time has passed I'd probably give it a 4.0 out of 5.0.  Not sure if this one will hold up in time, but whatever, to each their own.  I was always more of a fan of the UYI sound than that found on Appetite.  That said, I appreciate what Chinese Democracy is and what it's trying to be and in that respect I give Axl and company much respect for doing something that's very different than anything any of them or anyone else for that matter has done before.

Cheers,

Andrew

Dude you better take that back about If The World! Right the fuck now! The song fucking rules. It still remains my goto when lit. It is trippy as all hell. How dare you Andrew.

... how fucking dare you.

Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 10:47:13 PM »

Still not tired of it.

There's not many albums I've listened to for about nine months without putting them aside for a while....

Chinese Democracy is one of them.

/jarmo
in big agreement with you here Jamro Chinese Democracy hasn't goten old at all to me sometimes it just sounds Better smoking

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 10:05:55 AM »

I still can't understand how someone doesn't like Riad...

ANyways, I've been listening to a lot of Queen. Not just the big ballads, the rockers too. And I can totally listen a lot from where Chinese Democracy came from... Just listen to the intros and guitar riffs...

In fact, it makes me want to listen even more of Chinese. Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: