Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 10:46:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227962 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Confirmed: Duff McKagan To Join Jane's Addiction
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Confirmed: Duff McKagan To Join Jane's Addiction  (Read 31160 times)
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2010, 06:16:55 PM »

hmmm, "winter of 2011" (press release about new album being out) = early 2011 or late 2011?
anyway add about 1 year touring worldwide and its 2012 or 2013 before being available full time for VR.
and Slash being done with his solo album in october 2010 as Myles has to return to this band then and 2011 = at least Duff no time for VR, this doesnt look good for that band.....

Re-Union time, baby!!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2010, 06:20:06 PM »

or they're done altogether.

That's where the smart money bets. yes

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #122 on: May 08, 2010, 07:37:12 PM »

I expect them to get back together in some way at some point, but it might be a few years from now.
Jane's is about as unstabile as a band gets, so Im guessing Duff will be free again in a couple of years.
I hate to say that, cos I love JA so fucking much!
anyway, screw VR. Slash, Duff and Steven should do a project together. who knows, maybe they'll get around to Izzy's brilliant idea of him and Duff being the singer one day. that would be the best thing they could do, ever!

ok I said srew VR, but I don't mean they should fuck off or anything. I still liked them a lot!

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2010, 04:17:55 PM »

From Perry Farrell:

"Onstage with Jane's in 2010, McKagan set a thick, watery bassline against Navarro's speedy solo. A collaboration built to last." RS.com

http://twitpic.com/1mr962

We begin pre-production on 3 songs today.

about 3 hours ago via web in reply to Mike_at_JA_org

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #124 on: May 22, 2010, 02:44:11 PM »

Here's some really good footage of Duff performing with Jane's Addiction at the Bardot in Hollywood on May 5th:

"Ain't No Right" w/Duff McKagan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zIzizyamhs

Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2010, 08:43:16 AM »

Here's some really good footage of Duff performing with Jane's Addiction at the Bardot in Hollywood on May 5th:

"Ain't No Right" w/Duff McKagan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zIzizyamhs

that was awesome, but the bass is too low in the mix. Jane's usually have it louder than that.

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #126 on: May 28, 2010, 12:39:27 PM »

From Dave Navarro:

Today is day 1 of @janesaddiction in the recording studio. Very excited.

10:47 AM May 26th via TweetDeck

Don't tell Duff, but I DID touch this bass! http://twitpic.com/1rchgq

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2010, 07:30:59 PM »

From Tony Hawk:

Jane's Addiction is playing at our next Stand Up For Skateparks fundraiser! It's like Spicoli getting Van Halen to play at his birthday.

I believe this is the next event:

Beverly Hills, California

Where: Green Acres Estate

When: Sunday, October 17, 2010

Time: 12 - 4pm

http://standupforskateparks.org/tickets/beverlyhills/

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2010, 09:17:19 PM »

Perry Farrell talks about Duff joining Jane's Addiction in this interview.  Duff's wife suggested Duff join to Perry Farrell's wife...

June 8, 2010

Wired.com: How have things been going with bringing Duff McKagan into Jane?s Addiction?

Farrell: So cool. It was really natural. I didn?t know that it was going to happen. My wife and his wife became friends and one night his wife says to my wife, ?If you are looking for a great bass player, I know of one.? And she told me, and I said, ?Are you serious?! Well then you go back there and you say, ?Yes.?? And it just clicked from there.

Wired.com: What has be brought to the band that wasn?t there before?

Farrell: He?s got a particular sound and he loves to write. We both grew up in L.A. in the same debauchery. The wild life and the music, the rock ?n? roll. But he?s really classy. He?s warm, but he?s a real man. And he?s got four girls in his family, so he?s a daddy to all these girls. So he?s like that, but he?s also Duff McKagen, and he means business.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/06/perry-farrell-lollapalooza/

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #129 on: June 14, 2010, 08:20:12 PM »

Here's a good interview with Steven Perkins (Jane's Addiction's drummer) where he talks about Duff joining the band and how Duff's style will influence their sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE0jcpfi6fk

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #130 on: June 23, 2010, 01:54:22 PM »

JANE'S ADDICTION Announce Rich Costey to Produce New Album

MUSIC NEWS- JANE?S ADDICTION; singer Perry Farrell, guitarist Dave Navarro, drummer Stephen Perkins and bassist Duff McKagan, have signed on Rich Costey to produce their next album, tentatively due out winter 2011 via Capitol Records. Costey?s rich, extensive experience in the studio includes album production for Muse and Franz Ferdinand and he's got studio credits for engineering, programming and mixing for Weezer, Rage Against The Machine, My Chemical Romance, Doves and Jurassic 5, among others.

JA, who wrote the rule book for alternative music and culture through a combination of genre-defying classic songs and a cinematic live experience, is now in Los Angeles working on the album having returned from overseas concerts at the Gelredome in The Netherlands June 9 (with Rage Against the Machine and Gogol Bordello) and Rock In Rio in Madrid, Spain June 11 (with Rage Against the Machine and Cypress Hill).

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2010, 12:15:01 PM »

JANE'S ADDICTION To Play Special Intimate L.A. Show Next Week - June 24, 2010

According to JanesAddiction.org, JANE'S ADDICTION will play a special show for its fans on July 2 at an as-yet-undisclosed venue in Hollywood, California.

Commented guitarist Dave Navarro: "We in JANE'S ADDICTION have done several intimate L.A. shows over the past year or so? Little places with 100 or so tickets set aside for the fans. It was tough for a lot of fans to get in even after waiting all day for entry. With all of our friends and family in L.A., it's sometimes hard to accommodate everybody.

"Well, it looks like we are doing another show and we have decided to make this show an event that is mainly for the fans. We are going to strip back the guest list, inviting only our immediate loved ones, and let the majority of tickets be made available to the people who have given us so much over the years, the fans."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=142064

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #132 on: June 24, 2010, 06:37:44 PM »

Duff McKagan Says the World Needs New Jane's Addiction Songs

Posted on Jun 24th 2010

Reality shows and want ads might be fine for some bands looking for a new member, but when you're 51 like Perry Farrell or 46 like Duff McKagan, there are many more civilized ways to join a group. Take McKagan's invitation into Jane's Addiction for example -- the bassist was asked after a night of dining out on the town.

"Perry and I went to dinner with my wife and Etty [Farrell, Perry's wife] and at the end of dinner he said, 'So what are you up to?,'" McKagan tells Spinner. "I said, 'Well, I have Loaded working, writing songs.' He says, 'Well, that's kind of what I wanted to talk to you about, writing some songs. Would you be interested in coming in and checking it out?'"

McKagan was flattered and intrigued, but after playing with Guns N' Roses and Velvet Revolver and having his own band, Loaded, he understandably took a slow approach. "I was like, 'Yeah, I'll check it out, [but] everything's gotta work great ,'" he says. ".All of us have been around a long time -- if it doesn't feel right then we know."

So, how does it feel so far? "Things did feel right. We recorded three songs a couple weeks ago and it sounds huge, dynamic. [We] went and played a couple of shows in Europe and it was really fun," he says. "I had a great time playing with Perry. [They're] really good guys to travel with. I'm having a f---ing blast."

Despite the bands McKagan has played with before, he is still impressed with Jane's. "This is like rock royalty, Jane's," he says. The band is currently talking about a 2011 release for the new album, and McKagan promises there is a need for new Jane's material. "People want that old-school original because a lot of rock music right now is so paint-by-numbers. It's bland, really bland," he says. " I've heard some s--- on the radio. I'm like, 'You gotta be f---ing kidding me.' At least where I come from that's not good. That's not f---ing good."

http://www.spinner.com/2010/06/24/duff-mckagan-new-janes-addiction-album/

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #133 on: June 28, 2010, 01:28:10 PM »

From Perry Farrell:

Jane?s is heading up to the Sunset Strip. Returning to the location of our first recording; The Roxy this Friday night. I?m serious. There will be some tickets given away through the week. I will get more details tomorrow. I am looking for a local performance artist to startle my friends.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #134 on: June 28, 2010, 08:23:10 PM »

Some quality videos of Duff with Jane's Addiction have been posted on this YouTube site, here are a couple:

Rock In Rio - Madrid June 11th

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUxCFtHW-HY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOa7z-3mpnQ

lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #135 on: June 29, 2010, 12:33:34 AM »

I think he's sounding pretty darned good, with them!   
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2010, 07:34:59 PM »

JANE'S ADDICTION: Roxy Concert To Be Filmed - June 30, 2010

JANE'S ADDICTION ? singer Perry Farrell, guitarist Dave Navarro, drummer Stephen Perkins and bassist Duff McKagan ? has announced a Jane's "Fans' Addiction" concert presented by Bing for this Friday, July 2 on the Sunset Strip in Los Angeles at The Roxy Theatre, the venue where the band recorded their live self-titled indie debut album in 1987. The show begins at 10 p.m., with doors opening at 8 p.m.

This show is part of the Sunset Strip Summer Concert Series presented by Bing and "is being filmed for use at a later time so come dressed to have fun," said Navarro in an online posting. He added, "The Roxy has always held a special place in our hearts because it's where we recorded our first record. And as we said we want the majority of tickets to this show going to our fans so there will be a few ways to get them from us. Sign up for tickets on JanesAddiction.com starting tomorrow. Also look for tweets from Perry or myself this week to win tickets."

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=142370

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #137 on: July 03, 2010, 10:41:22 PM »

JANE'S ADDICTION Plays Special 'Fans' Addiction' Show In Hollywood (Video) - July 3, 2010

JANE'S ADDICTION ? singer Perry Farrell, guitarist Dave Navarro, drummer Stephen Perkins and bassist Duff McKagan ? played a special Jane's "Fans' Addiction" concert presented by Bing last night (Friday, July 2) on the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood at The Roxy Theatre, the venue where the band recorded its live self-titled indie debut album in 1987. This show was part of the Sunset Strip Summer Concert Series presented by Bing and was filmed for future use.

JANE'S ADDICTION's setlist was as follows:

01. Whores
02. Ain't No Right
03. Had A Dad
04. Ted, Just Admit It?
05. Mountain Song
06. Been Caught Stealing
07. Three Days
08. Stop!
09. Ocean Size
10. Jane Says
11. Chip Away

Fan-filmed video footage of the concert can be viewed below (courtesy of Christy Borgman).

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=142521

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #138 on: July 05, 2010, 03:44:22 PM »

The women "swinging" from the ceiling in this video is wild...

"Suspension Girls"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRB20yrhuPY

http://tweetphoto.com/30544137

Dave and Duff:

http://twitpic.com/22k1x2

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #139 on: July 05, 2010, 09:09:25 PM »

Live Review

Jane's Addiction ? The Roxy, West Hollywood

Mon, 05 Jul 2010

There's a certain musical mysticism to the magic that is Jane's Addiction.

It's that same spirit that coursed through Led Zeppelin and David Bowie during their best recordings and performances. It's that ability to lavish hard-hitting riffs and lyrics with a sly sensitivity and sense of humor. It's that spirit which maintains Jane's Addiction's status as legends.

These four Los Angeles rock gods possess a poetic power when they hit the stage that's unwavering and uncanny. At the Roxy this past Friday night as part of Bing's Sunset Strip Summer Concert Series, Jane's Addiction rustled up an utterly epic rock 'n' roll experience for the packed crowd, and it was easily the hottest 70 minutes of summer so far.

Jane's Addiction turned The Roxy into a combination of chic, funky artist's loft and vaudevillian theater. The curtain in front of the band raised as two fetish models were hoisted up on cables Kill Bill-style to swing back and forth as the band played. It was all a part of Jane's Addiction's sultry sonic seduction. The muscular wail of "Whores" was an incendiary intro. Dave Navarro precisely conjured a smooth solo that took flight alongside Perry Farrell's distinct croon. Perry bounced off the speakers, jumped and danced with a palpable energy that could probably be felt miles away at the Hollywood Bowl. His vibe proved uncontainable and his voice sounded better than ever, angelically carrying from The Roxy into outer space.

Duff McKagan's churned out a robust bass line for "Ain't No Right," infusing a powerful foundation while adding his unmistakable flavor. Duff makes the band sound heavier than heaven, and it's nothing short of mindblowing to see him with Perry, Dave and Stephen Perkins. Plus, every bass line (especially that of "Mountain Song") sounds more badass by Duff. Christmas lights lit up the back curtain as Navarro kept ripping and the models kept swinging. It was bizarre, beautiful and brilliant all at the same time.

Navarro remains a true guitar god. He's one of the few players that can build a carnival of sounds with riffs and solos and he did it on "Had a Dad" and "Been Caught Stealin'". He and Perry share that classic singer-guitarist mystique too, fitting the Almost Famous maxim. Navarro tore through a deft solo while his cigarette never moved?that's real talent. Perkins' stomp locked in with McKagan and their rhythms were so tight it sounded like they'd been playing together since the beginning of time, especially on a kinetic "Stop!"

Perkins' calculated bounce gave "Ted, Just Admit It?" a welcome wooziness that was slow and sweet. During "Moutain Song," Navarro's riffs careened around the tribal beats as Perry pristinely belted out strangely uplifting lyrics. "Three Days" illuminated just how perfect this band is. With its Physical Graffiti-esque transcendence, the song took the entire audience on an auditory ride. Navarro especially shined.

A divine rendition of "Jane Says" ignited the evening's biggest sing-a-long. McKagan and Navarro strapped on acoustic guitars as Farrell transfixed the crowd with the song's eternal refrain.

After the track, Farrell asked the crowd an important question. Looking out he said, "Do any of you remember how vibrant the music scene used to be in L.A.?"

Cheers erupted, but instead of launching into some "good ole days" speech, Farrell continued, "I don't keep track, man. I just keep going. Guess what? Tonight felt like the good old days. As a matter of fact motherfuckers, these are the days!"

In fact, Jane's Addiction has never sounded more fiery, and this set was utterly unforgettable. Here's to the new days?

?Rick Florino

Photos: http://www.artistdirect.com/artist/gallery/janes-addiction/448635#p220269

http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/live-review-jane-s-addiction-the-roxy-west-hollywood/7321782

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: