Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 12:16:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Will.i.am, Slash Remix The Who's 'My Generation' To Be Played At Super Bowl
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will.i.am, Slash Remix The Who's 'My Generation' To Be Played At Super Bowl  (Read 6952 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: January 26, 2010, 02:05:48 PM »

Will.i.am, Slash Remix The Who's 'My Generation' For Haiti Charity Single

January 26, 2010

A fresh remix of The Who's "My Generation" is coming to raise money for Haitian earthquake relief.

The Black Eyed Peas' will.i.am. tells Billboard.com that he was commissioned to remix the iconic 1965 rock anthem, which will air during the Super Bowl XLIV broadcast on Feb. 7 -- where the Who is performing at halftime -- and then go on sale via iTunes. "It's the Who, their song, and then I altered the lyric to fit my generation now and then have Slash on it," will.i.am says. "It was awesome. I loved that song way before this even came up, and talking to Pete Townshend on the phone is like, 'What?! I'm talking to Pete Townshend on the phone?!' That was awesome, being able to just hear their advice and everything. Those guys are just awesome."

http://www.billboard.com/#/news/will-i-am-slash-remix-the-who-s-my-generation-1004061972.story

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 01:12:46 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 01:14:49 PM »

Jan 29 2010 11:32 AM EST

Will.I.Am Wants Remix Of Who's 'My Generation' To 'Honor Rock And Roll'

'Pete Townshend was like, 'Cool!' ' Black Eyed Peas frontman says.

Recently news broke that Will.i.am will be part of the Super Bowl halftime show starring The Who, but in a very unusual way. The Black Eyed Peas superstar would be remixing the iconic rock band's 1965 classic "My Generation," with proceeds going to help Haiti relief efforts. Little else has been known about the project ? until now.

"I remixed 'My Generation,' and it started off as a commercial," he explained, clarifying the details on the project. "I did the music for this product called FLO TV, which is TV everywhere ... I did the music because I'm a tech geek ? I love technology, I go to all the tech conferences. So it started off like that, and the song was 'My Generation.' "

By sheer coincidence, the song he had chosen to remix ? a classic countercultural rock anthem that was the Who's first massive hit and had the band famously declaring, "I hope I die before I get old" ? was by the same band who happened to be playing the Super Bowl. "I was like, 'The Who's playing [at halftime], and this commercial is going to come on right before the halftime show,' " he remembered of his reasoning. " 'So, why don't I just do a longer version of the song and ask the Who [if I can update it]?' "

"So I talked to Pete [Townshend], and asked him if I could talk about my generation," Will.i.am said of the new lyrics that he'll be singing in the remix. "Because I wouldn't be here using my music for social awareness [if not for the Who] ? Wyclef wouldn't be here, none of the groups. Rage Against the Machine, if it wasn't for groups like the Who that were talking about their generation in the '60s, [they wouldn't have been able to follow in those rebellious footsteps]. They birthed these musically aware artists.

"So I got him on the phone and asked him if I could do that," remembered Will.i.am, who is up for six Grammy nominations this weekend alongside his fellow Peas. "[Townshend] was like, 'Cool! All the proceeds could go to Haiti. Right after you perform it, it should be known that this mash-up remix is on iTunes and the money will go to Haiti.' "

With Townshend's urging, Will.i.am composed new lyrics that focused on two topics: his generation's social awareness and how that needs to manifest itself in support for the earthquake-torn Haiti. "So, in the lyrics I mention Haiti, just putting the energy out there asking to rebuild Haiti," he explained. "And I got [former Guns N' Roses member] Slash on it. I got him on the phone and I was like, 'Yo, Slash! Look, it's the Who and it's me. Can you come and rip it? I don't want to just produce it in a hip-hop way, I want to honor rock and roll.' "

In addition to a packed Grammy schedule, Will.i.am unveiled an eye-popping mini-movie about the behind-the-scenes preparation that goes into his concerts, part of the Gillette Uncut music film series that will premiere later this month. But despite so much going on these days, he insisted that he's never too busy to find time for a cause like Haiti relief.

"It's the flippin' Who, myself and Slash," he said of his "My Generation" remix, available to fans on February 7. "And it [will be] on iTunes minutes after they perform at the Super Bowl."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1630764/20100129/black_eyed_peas.jhtml

Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 02:23:42 PM »

God Slash is just waisting his tallents with those fucking stupid Black Eyed Pees.

If he really wanted to help those people he would ask Axl for a truce to play just 1 show for those people in Hiti.

Think about it a fuck load of people would come to it and I think they both could actually compermise for such a great cause.

But it could never happen sadly since they both are far to stuborn people.

Joe

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
greendog
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 09:01:11 AM »

If he really wanted to help those people he would ask Axl for a truce to play just 1 show for those people in Hiti.

Because you just know that the families, injured and dead are all praying for this to happen...  confused

I wish people would stop thinking that the combination of Axl and Slash is the way to like save the world and make people better. I'm sorry, but if those two were to 'reunite' (as you all say) then I'd like to think that it would be because of creative reasons and not by using tragedies to get the ball rolling.

Comments/thoughts like that come across selfish in my opinion.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 09:38:54 AM »

^ You're absolutely right.

Haiti seems to be the 'in' thing right now among celebs. I just hope their intentions are sincere and that it's not for publicity.
The money can't hurt though.

Fuck 'Em All.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 12:13:30 PM »

In the interview with MTV it sounded like this will air as a commercial before the halftime show, but his from Rolling Stone:

It?s unclear whether the band will premiere the song during their halftime performance, or whether it will play during a break in the action or an ad.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2010/01/27/will-i-am-slash-remix-the-whos-my-generation-for-super-bowl/

Jdog0830
Legend

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 02:36:33 PM »

Because you just know that the families, injured and dead are all praying for this to happen...  confused

I wish people would stop thinking that the combination of Axl and Slash is the way to like save the world and make people better. I'm sorry, but if those two were to 'reunite' (as you all say) then I'd like to think that it would be because of creative reasons and not by using tragedies to get the ball rolling.

Comments/thoughts like that come across selfish in my opinion.

I am saying that it would make alot more money to a worthy cause. I mean that extra money could help a lot of people I had no intention of it being like that.

Joe

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 10:31:53 AM »

FLO TV, will.i.am, The Who, Slash, UMG and Songways Dedicate Proceeds From will.i.am's Super Bowl Ad Remix Full-Length Download of 'My Generation' to Oxfam America's Haiti Relief Efforts

LOS ANGELES, Feb. 5 /PRNewswire/ -- What happens when international superstar will.i.am remixes "My Generation," the timeless masterpiece from The Who? The result is a new spin for the digital age that bridges the gap between generations and urges people to take action on pressing humanitarian concerns ? like helping the residents of Haiti.

FLO TV Incorporated, international recording artist and producer will.i.am and iconic rock band The Who today announced that 100 percent of the proceeds of will.i.am's full-length remix of "My Generation" will be donated to Oxfam's Haiti Earthquake Response Fund.

The song makes its debut appearance February 7 during the 2nd quarter of Super Bowl XLIV in an ad for FLO TV, the Qualcomm subsidiary that pioneered the live mobile TV category. The FLO TV spot, dubbed "Moments," is a compilation of historical events and shared experiences that have united generations of television viewers. The memorable spot will air just prior to The Who's half-time performance.

Listeners can hear a portion of the song today at www.flo.tv or www.music.yahoo.com.

Beginning at 5:30 p.m. EST on Sunday, February 7, people can listen to the full-length song at www.flo.tv.

The track will also be available for purchase for $1.29 on Amazon.com, Dipdive.com and TheWho.com, with all proceeds benefiting Oxfam's Haiti Earthquake Response Fund.

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 02:37:35 PM »

the little portion you could listen to sounded pretty cool
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 02:58:02 PM »

Sounded really cool.. Cool
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 08:44:30 PM »

You can listen to the full song now at this location, plus see the commercial...

http://www.flo.tv/#/MyGeneration

Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 10:02:41 PM »

Not bad.

Fuck 'Em All.
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 10:52:50 PM »

Oh gosh, Slash is such a sellout for playing with will.i.am  Roll Eyes  Tongue
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 11:23:17 PM »

Here is the commercial on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKUUfPG8vx8

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 11:58:14 PM »

You can listen to the full song now at this location, plus see the commercial...

http://www.flo.tv/#/MyGeneration

Wow, I think they did a great job on the cover!!!
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 03:57:33 AM »

it sounds fucking stupid
jacdaniel
Legend

Give me a gitane!

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 06:30:23 AM »

it sounds fucking stupid

There's a surprise. Jim Bob hates something that Slash does!   hihi
Why you bother even commenting is funny. 

"i can tell you a thing or two about something else if you really wanna know? know what im saying? "
Il?vatar
Headliner

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 06:55:03 AM »

Sounds pretty shit, too much jibber jabber.
Judas Fuckin Priest
Headliner

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 06:58:28 AM »

original version is worst. Definitely, My Generation, is not one of the best songs of The Who.
Jdog0830
Legend

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 01:51:28 PM »

I am not a big Who fan at all but the little part of the song sounded real good.
Better then I thought it would. Slash must have put those want to be rockers in line.

Joe

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: